News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: IN RTCW Y R ALL THE ALLIES AMERICAN  (Read 3610 times)

Offline pathfinder

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • army funded with lotto winnings since 1996
Re:IN RTCW Y R ALL THE ALLIES AMERICAN
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2002, 05:36:22 PM »
the priesadent didn't want americans killed

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2002, 09:31:51 AM »
so what are you saying pathfinder? that a american life is worth more then a non american life.

Offline StevenSwayze

• You know what I say when it's miller time?
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2002, 11:54:41 PM »
What he is saying is that America had adopted Isolationism and felt very strong about it by the time ww2 hit. Americans had good reason to back then. Even if they did'nt who cares it was 50 years ago. I hate when people try to use the events that occured before they were born in some form of 'moral bank account' which other cultures moral credit is based. Those are the same people who when confronted about their own dirty laundry sya clever things like "I was not even around when that happened so why should I feel responsible" for instance if I were to ask you/ accuse you of the mistreatment of Native American Indian peoples in Canada your defense would be "I did'nt take thier land" well your sure as hell enjoying it now aren't you. Then my next question would be 'So a euroccentric  peoples more important than non?"
"We really shook the pillars of heaven this time, did'nt we Wang." Jack Burton

Offline Cormer Lir

• Farseer of Isthalion
  • Ancient
  • The Hand of Khaine
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2002, 12:18:27 AM »
ARRRGH!!

WE NEVER FUNDED THE TALIBAN OR OSAMA BIN LADEN!!!

PAKISTAN fronted the Taliban, WE fronted the Muhajadeen (Afghani freedom fighters against the Soviet occupation), and Osama bin Laden is bloody well funded by himself.

The only sense in which any part of the US govt funded the Taliban was when we sent them millions in food and humanitarian aid.

As far as the isolationistic stance of the US in the early 1900s, you're right, we had good reason to.  We had no real military for the bulk of that period, and no real interests abroad.  I've always found it amusing though that the British post-WWI plans revolved around a war with the US.
"It is not the strength, but the duration of great sentiments that makes great men."
                                                          -Nietzsche

Offline StevenSwayze

• You know what I say when it's miller time?
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2002, 12:30:12 AM »
And as for us being a self procliamed world protector we could always go isolationism again but then there would be such outcry about that. The bottom line truth is that for every country we stick or noses where they don't belong in, there is a country that demands it of us. I have a hard time relaizing who was the first to label us the 'worlds big brother', us? or the world? Whats wors is that America gets all the bad credit where being that big brother is concerned. It is rare when America is protencting foriegn interest abroad alone. Everyone from Canada to Finland  to Engalnd (er Nato) is right  there with us. America does'nt act as the world's big brother to protect it alone, but we do take all the blame for you ;)
"We really shook the pillars of heaven this time, did'nt we Wang." Jack Burton

Offline Niran of Asha An

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2002, 03:00:37 PM »
i never knew that about britains anti-us plans for ww2, that's kind of interesting.  I'd have done the same thing though, huge help in last war suddenly won't do much... must be planning something...   America helped, but America didn't DO.  it was a group effort to which america could have contributed to much earlier.  as it was the american's arrival pretty-much ended the stalemate that trench warfare had become (that's how i learned it, but that was in america, is this accurate? anyone?)   ???
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Offline Cormer Lir

• Farseer of Isthalion
  • Ancient
  • The Hand of Khaine
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2002, 04:08:56 PM »
By post WWI I mean the 1920s.  The US had entered the war without a real standing army, and exited it with a large force, battle-hardened, and one of the biggest navies in the world.  At that point, various US/British clashes like the war of 1812 didn't seem to be all THAT far back in the past, so Britain was a trifle worried about what the US might try.  

By the time WWII was actually well underway, the US was pretty much the only thing keeping Britain in the war.  There were no anti-US plans at that point, obviously, since that would basically spell the defeat of the UK.  

The general attitude in the US at the time was "It's Europe's problem.  They started it, AGAIN, let them sort it out."  

Frankly, if Mexico and Canada had declared war on the US and invaded, I doubt that Britain would have as much as batted an eye over it.

It took Pearl Harbor to convince the US public that we weren't going to be able to sit this one out.
"It is not the strength, but the duration of great sentiments that makes great men."
                                                          -Nietzsche