News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: World Eaters 2,000 points  (Read 3729 times)

Offline ReaperGrim

• BFTMFBG!!!
World Eaters 2,000 points
« on: May 13, 2019, 11:29:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Been a while since I’ve posted or played 40k, but all the new chaos stuff has gotten me back into it.  I’m not sure if my point totals are 100% accurate since there are so many places and updates to the codex, but I think I’m on point. 

I went for a fairly straightforward mechanized force that focuses on close combat and heavy weapons.  The 8 man Zerker squad gets the Dark Apostle and Exalted Champ, all stuffed into the Land Raider.  The 10 man Zerker squads go in rhinos and so do the 2 Havoc squads.  Pretty much everything rushes forward to get in combat/shooting range for the reaper chaincannons.  The 5 man CSM squad and the Helbrute will sit back on a rear objective, shooting lascannons as needed while the Helbrute doubles as a close combat bodyguard for the CSMs.  Daemon Prince is the Warlord and gets the Slaughterborn warlord trait.  Everything is Mark of Khorne and World Eaters so the army gets the Butcher’s Nails legion trait. 

I have 10 points left over that I don’t know what to do with.  Any suggestions on the list as a whole and where I could place those 10 points?

World Eaters 2,000 points

Battalion Detachment – 1,141 pts.

HQ 1:  Dark Apostle – (100 pts.)
              •   bolt pistol & accursed crozius 
HQ 2:  Exalted Champion – (75 pts.)
              •   chainsword  & power axe 
Troop 1:  8 Khorne Berserkers – (154 pts.)
              •   8 chainswords, 7 chainaxes, powerfist, icon of wrath
Troop 2:  10 Khorne Berserkers – (188 pts.)
              •   10 chainswords, 9 chainaxes, powerfist, icon of wrath
Troop 3:  10 Khorne Berserkers – (188 pts.)
              •   10 chainswords, 9 chainaxes, powerfist, icon of wrath
Troop 4:  5 Chaos Marines – (90 pts.)
              •   Lascannon
Elite 1:  Helbrute – (130 pts.)
              •   Helbrute fist and twin lascannon
Dedicated Transport 1: Chaos Rhino w/ combi-bolter – (72 pts.)
Dedicated Transport 2: Chaos Rhino w/ combi-bolter – (72 pts.)
Dedicated Transport 3: Chaos Rhino w/ combi-bolter – (72 pts.)

Spearhead Detachment – 849 pts.

HQ 1:  Daemon Prince w/ Wings  -  (180 pts.)
              •   Malefic Talons x2, Mark of Khorne, Talisman of Burning Blood (relic)
Heavy Support 1:  Chaos Land Raider  -  (297 pts.)
Heavy Support 2:  5 Havocs  -  (150 pts.)
              •   4 Reaper Chaincannons
Heavy Support 3:  5 Havocs  -  (150 pts.)
              •   4 Reaper Chaincannons
The world will look up and shout "Save us!", and I will whisper "No..."
"The Sons of Slaughter" death toll:
             W/L/D - 23/5/3

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: World Eaters 2,000 points
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
I haven't been overly pleased with Rhinos in this edition--they're surprisingly fragile and often don't deliver their cargo where they should. That said, this isn't exactly news, since with the exception of 5th/6th edition, Rhinos have never been terribly reliable.

I think maybe you're bringing enough of them to get into range when you need to, but I think there's solid odds against many opponents that this list will get itself crippled pretty fast--once those Berzerkers are out in the open, they'll drop like flies. I could be wrong, of course.

I feel like this list needs some kind of diversion--something big and scary that diverts firepower from your main Rhino thrust. The Daemon Prince doesn't work this way, since its often not a valid target for shooting. Maybe a Forgefiend or two? Some Bikes/Raptors? Something fast that needs to be dealt with *first* before the Rhinos hit.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
I haven't been overly pleased with Rhinos in this edition--they're surprisingly fragile and often don't deliver their cargo where they should. That said, this isn't exactly news, since with the exception of 5th/6th edition, Rhinos have never been terribly reliable.
Rhinos had a place when they could be used as bunkers.  Stick a 5 man squad with a Lascannon inside, and they were protected while still being able to shoot from the top hatch.  For some reason, GW got rid of the firepoint and jacked the price.  So... yeah... Rhinos are worth less than dirt right now, I'm afraid.

Any army worth their salt is going to be geared to destroy one, if not two knights in a single turn.  They should have no issue making a few rhinos disappear.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline ReaperGrim

• BFTMFBG!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I only ever used the rhinos as transports for close/med range troop delivery, so I'm not missing the mobile bunker aspect in 8th.  But I also haven't played a game in 8th edition yet. 

I was hoping to have enough wounds in my transports to at least get 2 rhinos and the LR into the enemy lines.  But from what I'm hearing it sounds like rhino rush is no longer viable in 8th edition. 

What would you suggest to get zerkers across the board then, since our transport options are limited and land raiders are a lot more expensive than rhinos.  I don't want to run them as alpha legion, trying to stick with the army/color scheme my force is painted in.  Not looking for a GT list, but I do want something effective and fun. 
             W/L/D - 23/5/3

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
I get what you're saying about using the Rhinos as transports to get across the field.  But that was back when they were relatively cheap... either at 50 or 35pts when you could afford for them to be expendable.  The higher price and the fact that you can't disembark after you move makes them a challenge to use properly, I find.  But then again... I guess in previous editions you couldn't charge after disembarking, either.  But at least if you were taking damage, your speed didn't get halved.  I think that's the biggest issue.  I don't have to destroy your Rhinos, I just have to do 6 wounds on turn 1 to force you to run on foot.

Anyways...

You could always just flood the board with berserkers and and run them across the field in true Khorne fashion... not caring from whence the blood flows and all that.  At least that way you can get your units into cover.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »
I kind of agree with GML, here, but I'll also point out that is a *tough* game to play, since Bezerkers are even less durable than Rhinos. Generally, MEQs are suffering across the board these days.

Also, I have bad news about Land Raiders: They don't last that much longer than Rhinos, considering that you only ever end up having 2 or 3 of them, tops.

As GML said, in a competitive environment, everyone is geared to kill Knights, which are vastly, vastly tougher than Rhinos and also tougher than LRs. If you can knock down a Knight in a turn (kind of essential), you can knock down a bunch or Rhinos or an LR pretty easy.

My personal solution for this would probably be to get myself a Traitor Knight dedicated to Khorne and keep everyone's attention on *that* for a turn or maybe two while my Berzerkers got into position to beat people up. Pretty rough to have to drop 300+ points on what amounts to a diversion, but here we are...

Offline ReaperGrim

• BFTMFBG!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 07:26:35 AM »
Seems like I need to get some games under my belt and figure out the meta in my area.  I get that competitive lists can take out a knight turn 1, I want to be somewhat competitive but not ultra competitive (me and a few friends/coworkers are getting back into the game at the same time).  Looks like my idea of target saturation is a little dated though.  A shame as I have 4 rhinos fully painted lol, leave it to GW to put out a new edition to make us buy a ton of new models!

I've never been a fan of footslogging, but maybe a horde of zerkers could work.  I forgot about the rhinos losing mobility after so many wounds, that is a real blower.  The Land Raider I want to use because I have a pretty cool conversion lol, hopefully it lasts a little longer than the rhinos. 

Now a renegade knight is something I can get into, I have been thinking about getting one once they release the new chaos codex and models.  Maybe I'll look at how I could work that into the list.  I've heard thermal cannons are the way to go?

Thanks again for the feedback!!
             W/L/D - 23/5/3

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »
Your local meta will determine a lot of this, yeah. My group tends to play smaller games than average (1250-1750) and we aren't *hyper* competitive, so I can get away with stuff that otherwise wouldn't fly in a tournament (which seem like hellscapes right now, to be honest).

But yeah, a big scary knight to screen your 'zerkers might work out.

Offline ReaperGrim

• BFTMFBG!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 12:33:17 AM »
I'm liking the knight idea, I didn't have the havoc models anyway so cutting them from the list is easy.   I gotta figure out the detachments still but what about something like this....

World Eaters 1,998 points

HQ 1:  Chaos Lord – (95 pts.)
              •   Chainsword & Thunderhammer 
HQ 2:  Exalted Champion – (75 pts.)
              •   chainsword  & power axe

HQ 3:  Daemon Prince w/ Wings  -  (180 pts.)
              •   Malefic Talons x2, Mark of Khorne, Talisman of Burning Blood (relic)

Troop 1:  8 Khorne Berserkers – (154 pts.)
              •   8 chainswords, 7 chainaxes, powerfist, icon of wrath
Troop 2:  10 Khorne Berserkers – (188 pts.)
              •   10 chainswords, 9 chainaxes, powerfist, icon of wrath
Troop 3:  10 Khorne Berserkers – (188 pts.)
              •   10 chainswords, 9 chainaxes, powerfist, icon of wrath
Troop 4:  5 Chaos Marines – (90 pts.)
              •   Lascannon
Elite 1:  Helbrute – (130 pts.)
              •   Helbrute fist and twin lascannon
Dedicated Transport 2: Chaos Rhino w/ combi-bolter – (72 pts.)

Heavy Support 1:  Chaos Land Raider  -  (297 pts.)

Lord of War 1:  Renegade Knight – (457 pts.)
              •   Thermal Cannon x2, Ironstorm Missile Pod, Heavy Stubber
             W/L/D - 23/5/3

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
Yeah, that looks pretty reasonable to me. I know it would be a challenge for most of the armies I field, at any rate.