News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48550 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
They look great Ynnead. Really a great little band of critters. All about the snow bases, they look great.

The trick with getting good indoor light is getting light from a couple of sources. I have an overhead and light from a nearby window... if you had 2 little lamps it should give you some light. Also putting a big piece of paper to photo against in the background really helps. I'll take a photo of my setup and you'll see how easy it is.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
I agree that the photos are just a little dark. It may be that you have everything against a light background while taking the pictures.

I like to try using a box made with black foam board (really cheap stuff) and cut some slots on the sides to allow desk lamps to shine through. Having a few sources of light sources from different directions really helps highlight the model. Cav and Loosh, are really the best ones for advice of photography, but that's my two cents. ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Yeah I thought I'd managed to get lighting sorted from regualar room lights, a table lamp lain on its side and my phone's torch shone down from above!

Apparently not enough!

I think phone cameras tend to be more concerned with low-light shots than little point-and-shoots, simply due to what they're normally used for.

Shall try a black background though. That might help a lot :)

Glad you like the snow bases though :) initiqlly panicked a little that I'd ruined them but they've massively grown on me since that initial moment :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynead!
Those snow bases look amazing. You really took the landscape in while holidaying, didn't you?... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks man! Definitely glad people are liking the snow bases :)

Yeah Iceland as a whole left quite an impression on me. It's a stunning landscape. Looks completely alien to anywhere else in Europe. I'd definitely recommend going if you ever get the chance :)

Also, I've also managed to sneak just one more in before today's deadline :)

The little scavenger padded its feet as it stood, trying to drive out the cold. There was little, really, to mark it as female beneath its layers upon layers of rags. A slightness of build perhaps, but little else. Not like the concubines of the Crow-Chief, or the zealous warrior-women that visited the Wolves on occasion. Just another scavenger among the multitudes. Another faceless, nameless individual to anyone looking on.

And the whole little scavenger band, marching through the bitter wind and snow.

Keep an eye out! The Crows should be popping up on Iron Sleet in the not-too-distant future :)
« Last Edit: December 2, 2017, 07:35:44 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

Niiiiice!
Wouldn't mind visiting Iceland, however, my next overseas trip will be England/Ireland... Be well!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Those models are begging for a display board or at least to have some shots taken on a games table at a local gaming store. The realism of the paint scheme and the cinematic modeling would explode on the screen with the right backdrop.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Terrific warband Ynnead. The snow bases look fantastic and draw the whole theme together brilliantly. I love the aesthetic of this group, they just look so gritty and weird and disparate...but at the same time a totally cohesive force. You've really done wonders from start to finish with this group, with excellent conversions, great thematic structure and topped off with some top notch paint work.

I'd also love to see them against some scenery. At the least, bunk them on top of some white paper and add a bit more light...it seems a real shame that we can't see all of the detail that you've been working on. If you need tips on a lighting setup, the latest White Dwarf has a very in depth article on how to take photos of your miniatures. It's a good read with excellent advice.

Also, as for Iceland...I'm with you on that place. Just amazing in general. Quite primordial in some ways. I hope you got to see the Northern Lights on your visit...and I do hope you managed to visit the Blue Lagoon. My Blood Pressure was officially 'Soup' by the time I left that place, I was so relaxed!
« Last Edit: December 3, 2017, 03:15:37 AM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys!

Yeah I've definitely struggled somewhat since my camera died to get a setup that works with my point-and-shoot. The above pictures were with two interior lamps (one overhead and one laid on its side) and my phone's torch pointed at them and it's sort of only just enough. The photos are far crisper and better resolution* than my phone, but much fussier with lighting.

I tried with a white background and it didn't like it at all for some reason. Perhaps I didn't have the setup right, but the white balance was off to the point that the models just looked uniformly black :S

I did try with a black background which lets a lot more of the colours come through, but the overall tone of the picture was much warmer (fault of using interior lamps with warm bulbs rather than proper daylight stuff) which didn't suit the cold theme. Here it is anyway :)

I'd absolutely love to do a scenic base for these guys (or on a game board). There's an absolutely stunning one I've seen of one of those Krieg riders looking out over a bluff on a really bleak and windswept scene. Big board (maybe 2ft across) and only two models on the whole thing. I'll share it when I find it :)

Glad you liked Iceland too Loosh :) alas we didn't get to see the Northern Lights (cloudy the whole time!) but we did make it to the Blue Lagoon and saw two humpbacks breach which was amazing (directly after the boat guide said that people expect whales to jump out of the water all the time but it very rarely actually happens) :) agreed it definitely looks primordial. Just the journey from the airport to Reykjavic with the flattened field of moss-covered boulders makes that point clear :)

*if you open the pics in a new tab and then take out the 'c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/' part of the url it'll show them in full resolution ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Long time no post!
Real life has been a bugger recently for hobby-related things but i've finally managed to snatch some time over Christmas :) looks like there's a ton of updates from everyone which is awesome though :) shall be wading through those whenever I get the chance, but for now here's these guys :)

Strange to think, isn't it? None of those optics are theirs. All scavenged from battlefields. They spend their lives looking through the eyes of dead men. What an odd perspective on the world that must bring.

Managed to finish off a few models I'd got half-done, including crow-pig-dog number 2...

...and this lovely lady...

I think the word translates to 'concubine', although 'witch' would work too. Psykers the lot of them. They appear to intentionally breed them. Send them out as favours to the other crow-chiefs, strengthening the various tenuous alliances between groups.

Hah! Everyone asks that. I think they use their witch-powers to keep warm or something.

I'm up to three female Crows now...

...and thirteen total :)

I'm going to call this band nearly done :) I do have a couple more ideas though, and something big coming for them soon! Then it's onto expanding the next piece of the picture for these little dudes :)

I do have some eldar on the way too, I promise ;) first properly mixed-material dude so it's a pretty steep learning curve!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Hey Ynnead welcome back man. Been a while! Great stuff here as always... did you hack up Cawl to get those bits? I'm working on one at the moment and thought I recognized those bits... The modelling is great, but I love the paint jobs. The skin tones are fantastic! What did you use for a wash? Anyway great to see you back bud. Great stuff as always.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day, Ynnead!
I hope it was good life that kept you away from us, mate. Good to see you back. The witch and the pig/dog/crow look amazing as always, Ynnead. A concubine? Wouldn't want to wake up next to that!!

Like the idea of those blokes looking through dead man's eyes. Am envious of your imagination, mate. Have a great new year, Ynnead... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! It's definitely been a while! My plan of catching up on everyone's updates hasn't exactly gone to plan, but I'll get there :)

The bits on the Concubine kit are actually from the Talos! I'm definitely envious of Cawl though. He seems like an absolute goldmine of bits just waiting to be disseminated among a dozen other models ;)

The skintones are actually from a quick and dirty method I saw for Dark Eldar skintones. Pallid Wych Flesh, with a medium wash of Druchii Violet and then drybrush back over with Pallid Wych Flesh. Worked way better than I'd hoped! I've found it works especially nicely around eyes if you want to give them an unhealthy sunken look :)

I'm with you on the concubine Saim Dann! Although she might have a somewhat alluring gait I think I'll leave her to the Crows ;)

It was definitely good life, or good life for me at least. Want to get my little Spitfire built for a road trip in March so working full-tilt to get that finished! Tall order, but should be just about doable :) not leaving time for much else now that work's mega-busy too so I can't sneak a quick forum session in there either :S

Offline Saim-Dann

Spitfire? Are you talking plane, model or wife?... Happy new year, regardless!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha none of the above actually! Car in fact :) or will be when it's not in a million pieces strewn over my garage ;)

I have, however, finally caught up on everyone's threads so I can post again in good conscience ;)

In keeping with my generally erratic nature (I'm surprised I've stuck so strongly to the Crows thus far!) I've finished the first of the next peripheral culture :)

They trade sometimes, with the Elk-men. Fellow nomads, meandering through this icy plane.

Oh nothing of real value. Mainly scavenged tech and weapons, food supplies, little handmade trinkets. That sort of thing. Sometimes the Elk-men barter passage to other systems.

The elk-folk wander around in bands of five or six usually, plus a pack animal or two. People say they used to congregate in massive numbers, but not any more.

There were millions of them once. Great warherds, stretching as far as the eye could see. Not seen them in any sort of numbers for a couple of centuries now.

So that's the first of the Elk-folk :) not that there will be many...

Still, enough to tell their story at least, and how they link in with the Crows and the Wolves :)

Have a couple more Crows to come too, so we won't be seeing the last of them :)

Offline Saim-Dann

Cool bananas, Ynnead!
Great start to the Elk folk, mate. As always a unique piece, but nicely tied in with the rest of the universe you've created.

Had to Google your Spitfire... Niiiiice! Please tell me you've painted it racing green... Be well!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Hey bud, very cool model. Really dig all these dudes. I'd definitley look into playing some Kill Team or Necromunda or something like that with them. Just amazing stuff man. So well executed. Love it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks guys ;)

You just wait Saim Dann ;) where I haven't had the time to do much modelling I have been sneaking time at work to scribble down thoughts on this little world. It'll be expanded as an when I get models painted, but as a brief overview it's a world left in the wake of a Space Wolf Crusade. Basically what happens after the victorious armies of the Imperium sod off somewhere else, leaving everyone else behind ;)

I absolutely need to get some games of Necromunda in. Need to get my hands on the new rulebook. I'm also hopeful someone sorts out an Inquisimunda v2 or another fan expansion type thing :)

Until then, here's another dude!

Over there, I spy two big stags. White Hands by the looks of it. I know little of their braying tongue, but enough to barter us supplies. Perhaps enough to procure a guide to our destination.

Looks like they're on their way to the herdstone. Meeting places for the horned folk. You can find them scattered all through the twelve systems, and a little beyond. Monuments to the Old Gods...

Offline Saim-Dann

Niiiiice!
Yup, the Doggies have that effect on other races. Just cock their leg to mark the fact they've been there and away they go. Enjoyed the read as always, mate... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude :) yeah you're not wrong ;)

Finished up another two :) plus my first ever piece of scenery!

There it is, the herdstone. Great stone menhirs erected where the veil allegedly wears thin, back in the times when the warherds swept through these worlds. Fell monuments. See how this one weeps blood from its pinnacle.

The two big stags collided with a sickening crunch. Enough force behind them to break bones. Enough force behind them to pulverise a Crow. This was the rut. One of the few times the Elgr gather in greater numbers, filtering in from the deep forests of their worlds. A time of blood and bone and muscle. A time to ensure that the future of their kind is as strong as possible. Strong enough to survive the coming hunts.

See the younger bucks on the periphery. Not quite their full-horned glory just yet, but practicing for when their time comes.

That's nearly my whole scatter-herd. Just waiting for a final bit for the last model and we should get a little closer to why they're here, and just what the story of their worlds is...