News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons + IG for doubles tourney (1K + 1K)  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Necrons + IG for doubles tourney (1K + 1K)
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
I'm attending a doubles tourney with a friend tomorrow, and would like some feedback on our lists and how do you think they'll work together. There will be three games: Purge the alien, Relic and Crusade (5 objectives). I'm playing Necrons and my friend is playing Guard. His detachment seems really solid, but I'm a bit worried about my own and if I'm able to pull my own weight. Here are our lists:

Necrons:

HQ

Necron Overlord
 -Warscythe

Royal Court:
 -2x Harbinger of the Storm

TROOPS

7x Immortals
 -Tesla Carbine

5x Immortals
 -Gauss Blaster
*Night Scythe

5x Warriors
*Ghost Ark

5x Warriors
*Ghost Ark

HEAVY SUPPORT

2x Annihilation Barge

TOTAL 994

Imperial Guard:

Company Command Squad
- 4 Meltaguns
Chimera with Multi-laser and Heavy Flamer

Platoon Command Squad
 - 4 Flamer

Infantry Squad
 - Autocannon
- Flamer
 Chimera with Multi-laser and Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad
 - Autocannon
- Flamer
 Chimera with Multi-laser and Heavy Bolter

Vendetta #1
 - Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Vendetta #2
 - Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Manticore
- Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer

Griffon
 - Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer

Aegis Defence Line

TOTAL: 1000

One problem I see with Necron list is the frailty of the troops. Once they are out of their transport, they're pretty much dead meat (or mangled metal :D ). I wonder if I should drop the Gauss immortals altogether and beef up the other squads, mounting the Tesla Immortals in the Scythe. What do you guys think? Any other glaring weaknesses? We both have a quite extensive collection of minis for our armies, so all kinds of propositions for improvement are welcome.
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Re: Necrons + IG for doubles tourney (1K + 1K)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:10 AM »
Personally I find IG to be the much superior shooty force from a distance. whereas the Necron bread and butter is at 24" typically.

Seeing as your partner does have a pretty solid handle on that, I'd personally shore up the one big issue that IG have trouble with: Assault.

Personally I'd take staple units like Annihilation Barges, and Immortals in flyers, but after that... I'd probably go Destroyer Lord, wraith wing. And/Or Tomb Spyders and Scarab swarm.

This would allow you to really put the hurt on anything trying to close the gap. Manticores at 1K I find to be crazy good... you gotta protect that stuff.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. There's nothing wrong with the Necron shooting, just at range your partner does it a lot better.. he's just super fragile.