News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chaos Warhound  (Read 18290 times)

Offline Mr.Zombie Pogo Stick

Re: Chaos Warhound
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »
Hurry up, please. :D
I am gonna say the same thing to you! lol
Can I have sex with it while killing it? - Daniel, Duck Lord of the True Kin
I always thought Autarch's were a bit fruity - Seraph Tenacious
oh holy jumped-up christ on a pogo-stick! - Rasmus
Hey look i can post the word poop fifty times -DestroyerOfWorlds
seven randomly selected Lithuanians get mumps every time someone digs up an old thread - Mr Peanut
Be yourself, don't take anyone's amphetamine parrot, and never let them take you alive." - Gerard Way

Offline Interrogator_Chaplain

• Just say you won't repent, I dare you.
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »
Sweet effing hell! This is looking E.P.I.C! (Extremely Pretty, Incredibly Cool) Me want see more!

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »
Incidentally, thank you for the idea for a wooden chopping block for a base.  I've been thinking about getting a Warhound for a while (should have saved up by about 2012 or so :D) and I was completely stumped on what to use as a base.

It was an idea originally born out of desperation, needed a big flying stand for a campaign weekend and after searching all the DIY stores/craft stores in my area I finally spotted a chopping board when I went to buy lunch. Moral of the story: Eat first, shop later.

That is looking really great.  Can't wait to see it finished/painted.

It's funny but I had the same idea with my Revenant Titan (stepping on a Rhino).

Great minds think alike? (Fools seldom differ?)  ;D

Wanted to do it with a Landraider to start with, but just not enough articulation in the leg to get the foot high enough.

Well again work and chasing women has slowed me down also hit another one of those points where I wasn't quite sure how to continue. It's a big model on a big base and up until now not much had been glued so I could work on it easier. But now with the basics of the legs done I wasn't sure if it was time to glue it all down (Making it harder to paint) or leave it dry pinned (Making it harder/impossible to put the upper body in place as the legs wouldn't take the weight)

In the end I went with the idea of fixing all the leg joints (Which will also let me attach the rest of the hydraulic rams)and leaving them dry pinned to the base and the hips.

Again it required some more over the top pinning.

Wasn't sure about pinning the right foot down, going to try with just a pin through the toe, if it doesn't feel stable as I go on I may try something more drastic.

This all left me with a pair of stable legs, the only problem now was where they connected with the hips I'd used round pins in round holes (square drill bit was on back order.  :-\ ) this meant the whole hip section had a tendency to just pivot and end up hang upside down, not much good if I wanted to put the body on.

Then the idea of putting a second, smaller, pin in on of the joints came to me. It didn't have to take any weight just stop the pivoting.

The whole thing locked together pretty well and after balancing a few things on top to test it out I finally went for it: (Drum roll)

Starting to look a bit more like a Titan now.

^Internal shot, the body is still only dry pinned and need to finish painting the dividing wall before I glue it.

^Better shot of the foot than last time.

^And side profile.

^Start of the battle damage/decay work.

^What is the collective noun for Chaos Spawn anyway?

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 06:23:15 PM »
Lot's o' Chaos Spawn :D

I think the plural is just "spawn", as "spawns" is a verb.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »
Ah but a plural is not a collective noun. ie Flock or Herd are not plurals ;)

Excellent work though. Is your painting skill up to the task though?
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
Ah but a plural is not a collective noun. ie Flock or Herd are not plurals ;)
Or a swarm of spawn maybes ;)

Offline Cripple, Whose Corporeal Form is Now a Shade of Blue

• Interesting....
    • My photobucket, full of all my wonderful WIPs and completed minis!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 05:51:28 PM »
A gaggle maybe?

But on the topic of the titan, you've done a great job. That thing will look awesome when it's complete and painted.

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
Tau                2  2  2
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
I believe it's a tide, going by the Apocalypse formation.

The Titan continues to look fantastic, the base in particular is cool in and of itself.

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 05:42:18 AM »
Sadly another slow week, but I have made some progress on the base.

Ok it's not much progress but I'm happy(er) with how it looks now and have even managed to get some paint on it.

This is how it was looking:

Which was ok, but didn't really capture the muddy battle field I was after.

So the first stage was to put some texture on it, a quick trip to the local DIY store got me a tube of general purpose filler (To be honest I had no idea what type of filler would work best so one that claimed to do everything seemed a good option) Some of this was mixed with a generous amount of pva glue to make it a little harder wearing when it was dried and then applied with a 1" brush and an artists pallet knife over the clay sculpted base. (Must admit this was stupidly good fun)

A small amount of GW gravel was sprinkled over the top while the mix was still wet, followed by a larger amount of sand.

The next stage was a coat of home made textured paint, more filler and pva glue were mixed, this time adding sand, gravel and some scorched earth paint, the mix was watered down and then applied with the same brush and pallet knife.

At this point I made use of the paint to draw the edge of the crater a little higher, by adding a good amount of the textured paint to the middle of the crater and then using a 1/2" brush in a slow circular motion that forced the paint up the insides to form round the top edge.

Once dry the whole base was undercoated with a spray of chaos black and then given it's first base coat of 50/50 mix of Scorched Brown and car windscreen washer fluid (Water will work but the washer fluid helps the paint flow a little better) with an airbrush.

At this point I still hadn't attached any of the Titan to the base and was hoping not to have to, but it was now becoming clear to me that the right foot would need to be glued into place sooner rather than later to the texturing could be finished, it would also give me the chance to blend the mud painting in with the foot better. So out came the glue and some more filler.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
Eventually you're going to have a model you can be really proud of.

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »
Well started laying down some basic colours, after some thought I went with makeing the Rhino Ultra Marine(esque), while I really wanted to go for White Scars for the strong contrast betwen the White Rhino and the dark base I wasn't sure I could pull it off. May have to revisit the White Scar idea for a terrain peice some time.

The Titan itself, well it's foot, got a base coat of camo green to match the rest of my Deathguard army with some very light shading of Dark Angel green from the airbrush.

Still a bright blue Rhino and a bright green foot doesn't exactly fit with the rest of the base, I wanted to make the Rhino look like it's been there for a while rather than a fresh wreck which gave me a chance to try out something different with the painting. I started by masking up a Tactical marking on the Rhinos roof doors and then gave it a couple of coats of hair spray followed by several thin coats (Probably a bit to thin) of skull white. After this was dry I set about it with some warm water and a large dry brush, slowly grinding away at the surface until the top coat of skull white started to lift. This left behind the grey layer below it, some of which I continued to work away to give the top coat-primer-rhino colour effect. Can't say I'm 100% happy with it, but I learnt quite a bit from this first try that I can apply to the rest of the wreck. (Edit: The top pannel looks a lot brighter in the pic than I realised, could just be because the surface was still wet, if not I can always weather it back down to match the rest of the tank)

The foot got a couple of coats of copydex glue on some of the larger flat areas, this was left to go off for a few mins before being dabbed at with the edge of a blister pack sponge to bring out some texture.

Oh and while I was waiting for stuff to dry I got bored again and started work on a rebuild of Kharn.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:25:27 AM by khaine »

Offline Dark Prince

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Very Nice

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 04:50:09 PM »
The base looks extremely well.

How did you do the mud? Is there a tutorial anywhere?
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Da Pittman

• You Are Biomass
    • Electric Cog Design
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »
Great progress, I'm looking forward to seeing the final work.

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »
Quick question, what was the hairspray for?

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 11:34:46 AM »
Quick question, what was the hairspray for?

Quick reply: It forms a colourless layer betwen the blue of the Rhino and the white of the Tactical marking. With warm water and a little rubbing the white while start to flake off and reveal the blue undercoat. Basicly it's an easy way to give a chipped/weathered paint look, as rather than having to paint 'chipped' you can just chip it.

The base looks extremely well.

How did you do the mud? Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Basicly it's a mix of DIY store general purpose filler and PVA glue. I've got a building to base up some time soon and can do a step by step tutorial for that if people are intrested. (Or there's a very good section on it in the FW Master Class book.)

Offline Cripple, Whose Corporeal Form is Now a Shade of Blue

• Interesting....
    • My photobucket, full of all my wonderful WIPs and completed minis!
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 02:36:09 PM »
That is awesome. Really looks like mud. The colors on the foot work really well. On a side note, that Kharn looks cool as well. You should be proud of yourself, very nice work.

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
Tau                2  2  2
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »
Ok, it's been a while...

Between Christmas, PC problems and work I've not updated in... Well to long.

Anyway although I haven;t been posting I've still been working with what time I have free, the main body is finaly together even if it did require some large ammounts of filling:

Still some final touching up work to do on the inside, it's almost impossible to paint with the whole thing together but at the same time painting the parts on their own and then glueing it togther has it's own problems so I went for a paint as much as I could and then finish off later approch.

Also there's still the inside of the cockpit to deal with, just not sure on the colours I want to use on it yet:

The out side was a lot eaiser to work with, 5 mins with an airbrush, a quick splash of white on the trim and:

Anyway from there it was just a quick hop to the next stage, finaly starting to look more like a Titan and less like a pile of bits... So drum roll...

Next stage was to deal with the 'factory fresh' look the paint was still giving it.

I started with the main body carapace, a couple of coats of copydex glue  gave a bit more texture to some of the smoother areas and I picked out where I wanted the worst of the rust to be with some Tin Bitz before spraying the whole thing with hairspray and then another coat of green.

After that I used warm water and a stuiff brush to work away some of the paint that have coverd the Tin Bitz allowing it to show through as damaged areas before breaking out the Weathering Powders (http://www.migproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=5_6&sort=3a&page=1)

Now I'd not used these before so wasn't quite sure how to go about it, turns out it goes on just like normal paint (Just the powder nature means it ends up all over your work area as well.) but blends in with a much softer edge.

After applying the rust was given a spray of white spirits to help fix it and prevent it rubbing off as I continued to work on it.

Well that's it for now, I've finaly had chance to start on the guns now and have already been doing more work on weathering the main body and leg plates so hope to have some more pics soon.

Offline Da Pittman

• You Are Biomass
    • Electric Cog Design
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
Looking good, can't wait to see it all together.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 11:27:52 AM »
great looking work. keep working at it, your thread is my Chaos Warhound instruction manual. i will definately shoot you some questions if i get stuck putting my titan together, the FW instructions could have gone into a bit more detail or had a few more pictures for things.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:30:14 AM by Plague Tower of Nurgle »
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead