News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Redstar's Sons of Horus - Start to Finish  (Read 11046 times)

Offline redstarone

Redstar's Sons of Horus - Start to Finish
« on: January 9, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
Well, after the passing of my son around this time last year and then the passing of my wife, Sarah just last month, I've been rather closed off emotionally. After getting alot of support from the various forums, namely BoLS, Warseer and Heresy Online, its time to try and focus on the positives in life. Remember the good memories and not the bad.

With that in mind, ive decided to start this blog. It will cover all things modeling from converting, which will be a major focus to painting and sculpting. I plan to start small with a Son of Horus force I've had in the works the past few days. After that Ill move onto a few larger conversions and scratch builds such as a Chaos Fellblade along with other Chaos super heavies.

I just hope that this blog and the work done for it can even remotely make Sarah proud of me, in whatever place she may be. If it wasnt for her support after our son passed, I'd have given up the hobby all together.

This is for you Sarah and Erin.

So  now onto the first unit. I plan to use BA rules for the stormraven. I went with a silverish sea green. The current pics are a bit dark but you can get some nice views of the base, modified from a Dragon Forge base.

More pics can be seen as well as future tutorials on weathering the beast shortly at the blog. Miniature Wargame Conversions
Custom Converter for hire. PM for details.

Offline those

• Yes... Come forth to bear the word of Chaos..!
Re: Redstar's Sons of Horus - Start to Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »
redstarone, I cannot begin to understand what you have gone through. You have my utmost sympathy. My wife and my girls are everything to me. It is incredible that you have the strength that you have. Your hobby must be helping you through it all immeasurably.

You've some awesome work there. I can't wait to see more.

And remember, if you need to... I don't know... talk about stuff, or just vent... we are all here together... I'm sure you'll find a friendly supportive ear to bend..!

Offline Mezegis

• Help! I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2011, 08:18:57 AM »
Wow... just wow, and I mean that for what you've gone through.  You have my utmost sympathies over your loss. 

I really like the model.  The weathering on the speeder, and the base are just awesome.  Any chance we can get a shot of the top of the speeder, so we can see the guys well?

Offline redstarone

« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
redstarone, I cannot begin to understand what you have gone through. You have my utmost sympathy. My wife and my girls are everything to me. It is incredible that you have the strength that you have. Your hobby must be helping you through it all immeasurably.

You've some awesome work there. I can't wait to see more.

And remember, if you need to... I don't know... talk about stuff, or just vent... we are all here together... I'm sure you'll find a friendly supportive ear to bend..!

Thank you very much for the support. I may indeed take you up on that PM offer..

Wow... just wow, and I mean that for what you've gone through.  You have my utmost sympathies over your loss. 

I really like the model.  The weathering on the speeder, and the base are just awesome.  Any chance we can get a shot of the top of the speeder, so we can see the guys well?

Thank you very much for the support.

I sure can get some pics for you. There are a few better angles on my blogspot link. I do plan to get some better shots tomorrow in the daylight and post them there too. Plus, if you subscribe, your entered into a free give away raffle to give back to the community thats helped me so much.

----------------------

Start of some "Death Company" marines since I use the BA dex for this army.

The bases arent done as I still need to finish converting soem more Dragon Forge bases like the one for the land speeder.

More pictures of the models can be found at my memorial blogspot.

Offline redstarone

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »
2 more "Death Company" Marines:

And one of my fav ones:

More pictures of them can be seen at my blogspot. Im always open to comments good or bad on the quality of the work.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:23:07 AM by redstarone »

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your losses. :(

The Marines look great. Is there a story behind the stormraven? Is the stormraven knocking over a large piece of building onto that poor guy?

Offline redstarone

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your losses. :(

The Marines look great. Is there a story behind the stormraven? Is the stormraven knocking over a large piece of building onto that poor guy?

Thank you for the support. Feel free to enter the free give away raffle at my blog spot. http://miniaturewargameconversions.blogspot.com/

I like the think the Land Speeder is flying past after having blasted the poor imperial menial worker to bitz and hes since crawled into the barb wire and against the wall to hide. You can even see his blown off foot laying in a pool of blood :)

Offline redstarone

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »
Start of the first basing tutorial is up. Comments are more then welcome. Especially since im not the best at writing tutorials so if something doesnt make sense, just ask :)

Full tutorial is up at the blogspot

Offline redstarone

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »
WIP Chaplain for the Death Company. Still needs a few things painted and a few messups corrected but hes coming together nicely..

As always, any advice would be awesome in making this guy better. More picture of him up tonight at the blogspot as well. Didnt have time to edit the others right now.

Offline redstarone

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
Sons OF Horus Librarian done. Basic conversion from a metal sternguard..

More of him can be seen at my blogspot.

Also did a bit more work on the Chaplain:

As always id love feedback, good or bad since the army will be put on display.

Offline redstarone

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »

Did a bit more work to finish the libby as well as did work on a standard marine. More pics of both can be seen at my blogspot like always. Comments, good and bad always welcomed.

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »
Liking it so far. You need to paint on some lettering on the banner on the Librarian . So where is your cute and cuddly dreadnought?

Offline redstarone

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »
Liking it so far. You need to paint on some lettering on the banner on the Librarian . So where is your cute and cuddly dreadnought?

Yea I cant really think of what to put on there... any ideas?

How did you know I have a dread base painted?! Creepy..

------------------------

Another model for the counts as Death Company squad. Mix of metal and plastic bitz. Im not really sure on him, hence why hes still a WIP on the paint job but I cant place what I dont like..

As always more pics (shouldnt be plural..) can be seen on my blogspot. Im also very open to comments to fix him.

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »
Saw the dread on your blog and thought it was odd you didn't show us that beast just yet. This is a Chaos army right? I would put the Chaos star on it with a bunch of random scribbles on it.

Offline Beany

• Too much booze can make you a bit nutty
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »
Or perhaps you could out the eye of Horus on the banner

Offline redstarone

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
Ahhh, yea that true scale dread was a commission and has been sent to the owner awhile back. I simply liked the conversion alot hehe.

I do plan to put the eye of horus as well as chaos stars around. I just want to do all that when the army is done so that way they all match quality and style.

-------------------------

Group shot of whats done so far (done painting, no bases yet except on the dread and speeder)

Finished Ironclad (of course i see thigns that need touchups in the pics that I didnt see on the model... I guess I shouldnt be painting in the dark at night when I have trouble sleeping...)

More pics of the dread as well as close ups of the group shot can be seen at my blogspot.

Offline redstarone

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 05:16:03 PM »

Finished painting the first 5 man combat squad. Still needs basing and im also wondering if the Sgt should have some sort of back banner or trophey rack.

On a side note the give away raffle for my blogspot followers ends in just over a week. There will be 5 winners, so nows your time to enter :)

Offline those

• Yes... Come forth to bear the word of Chaos..!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »
Fantastic..!

There's something beautifully 'real' about your painting... Can't wait to see more...

Offline redstarone

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
Fantastic..!

There's something beautifully 'real' about your painting... Can't wait to see more...

Thanks!!!!!!!

------------------------------2 More finished Tactical squad members.

Last 3 will be done in the next few hours.

ive decided since I play them as a BA dex army, ill make the helmets of various units different colors.

Bone = Tactical
Black = Assault
Gold = Elites
No idea what ill do for devestators..

Any ideas?

Also, only 1 week left in my free blogspot give away raffle! Join now to be entered!

Offline redstarone

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »

Sanguinary Priest finished. Needs a few touch ups that ill fix when I paint his converted dragon forge base.

More pics as always at my blogspot. Pics of the first 1000 points will be up shortly.

I also decided I think ill go with a rusty silver for the devestators. It was that or a dark red.