News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scratch Built Warhound Titan, and side projects.  (Read 21738 times)

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
Re: Scratch Built Warhound Titan, and side projects.
« Reply #40 on: September 1, 2009, 08:16:17 PM »
Still looking for 1/2" tubing to use for the turbo lasers.  I found some at a hobby shop today, but it was more expensive than I wanted.  I have the PVC, which I need to cut later, 3 feet of various sizes for 3$.  Not bad at all.  I bought wood filler to use to even out the pieces I have made so far, we'll see how it goes.

Will work on it all more during the next few days and should have pics up of fully formed feet with extra armour, rivets, and putty.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #41 on: September 3, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »
I applied all the wood filling to the feet ankles and toes last night, but couldn't find my sand paper.  Will grab some and see how that came out.  If it worked okay then I will begin assembly of the feet, and probably spray painting.  I've decided to go with the red colour scheme, but not sure how to get the shade I want exactly, so I guess we'll just start with a red spray base coat and go from there.

I will be making a PVC order online for the pistons soon, and my paint order as well that I've been wanting to do for months.  Yay for glow in the dark greek for eyes and panels!

I should have pictures up by this weekend.  Just not sure if I'll get time tonight or tomorrow night to work on this stuff.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »
So I have done the wood filler for all the cracks, sanded it down, and base coated the feet, toes, and ankles.  The wood filler worked fairly well, but its really hard to smooth down properly, so now that it's painted I'm pretty unsatisfied with it (picture below).  Fast drying modeling clay may have been the superior choice.  I may recover them at some point, and repaint, but for now today I am going to design the extra armour, cut it, paint it, attach it, cut and file rivets (done with 1/16" brass rod) and assemble the feet. 

Given the wood filler results I'm really going to try head bending for the rest of the work, and hopefully it will be fairly easy.  If not I may just have to sink some cash into modeling clay, which I hope not because doing individual pieces takes a lot of time, and a considerable amount more when you use wood filler, and then sand it down.

I'm trying to decide if the upward raised toe joints should be painted boltgun metal, I based them in my cherry red spray paint, but we'll see once they're assembled.  I wonder the same about the ankle assembly, but not much of that should be viewable anyway. 

While working on my vindicator yesterday I found that I finished painting the top side grill and realized I had the fan bit that goes over the top.  Since I already painted the grill I decided to steal the fan bit for my titan, either on the top, or it's back. Its a perfect piece that I've been wanting.

Pictures will be up later of the assembled foot most likely.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #43 on: September 7, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
Base coating and assembly is done.  It feels good to be able to really look at the progress I've made.  In a few I think I'm going to get to cutting the extra armour, the rivets, and testing out the blotchy paint effect for my colour scheme (picture below).  I'll be using a slightly darker red, and if I can find one sitting around somewhere, a makeup removing sponge...thing...or just blister padding, and semi-dry brushing it on.

Its pretty rough so far, with the feet being the first pieces of real plasticard work I have done.  I doubt I will get to starting the leg structure tonight, but we'll see.  I should hopefully have more pics to put up of the extra armour and the blotting.  I had wanted to do extra armour around the bottom of the outermost toes, but it didnt end up looking good so the extra armour may just be a plate on the top and front of each toe.

Also, note that these are also still requiring the pistons that would extend from the outer toe piece, to the foot piece, one on each side of the inner toe pieces.

Colour scheme will be this, though I am uncertain as to whether I want the head white or not.  Even on white plasticard white is just a total be-atch.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: September 8, 2009, 11:49:01 PM »
Spent a little bit of time on the toe extra armour this evening.  Trying to decide how exactly I want to do it.  I have some armour pieces cut, painted, and riveted, just not fully sure on the positioning.

Also tried a bit of the spottled painting, I just dont know how to do it properly, and not make it look like shat.

I'm currently considering making a forgeworld order for some of the etched brass eagles, and the Mars skull badge, to add extra details to my model, and maybe one of their inquisitor models for my kill team.  This largely being if I can get some one to add some stuff to the order to minimize shipping expenses.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2009, 11:54:45 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
OK..;. I go on vacation and you start thsi one up... WOW.

Nice beginning, and I love the colour theme so far. (RED, goes faster, and looks great).

Could not help noticing the background in one pic was a "template" care to share ? Oh and on the same topic, when I did the Monolith by scratch I used Cardboard from GW Figure boxes, I would suggest the same for some part of your titan, as the Plasti card can get expensive (although its great for the legs, added strength and all)..

Watchingthis one with interest, as I want to do an Eldar Tian... Yes, curves an all... and I already did the Head. My very own Resin cast... Here is is beside an actual Wrathlord Head... If you know any inside info on the Eldar Titan... please share,and I will do the same for you on this project (although your doind very well so far anyway).

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »
Moc, I posted the links for the download for Warhound and Reaver plans on the first page somwhere :D
For the spottled painting, have you thought of stippling with a large, cheapo paint brush? good for large coverage :D
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the input Moc, and the head looks good so far!

Aye, I have a fair amount of boxes sitting around, a few of the crammed under the desk.  I may do that for the guns, and other bits.  Definitely wanting the stability in the legs, though.  Some bits on the body I may do with cardboard so that I can alter it to add bits more easily and go off template.  I have a number of bits/materials on hand waiting to go into use on the torso to make it look more detailed and interesting.

I'd be happy to email you the templates...all of them if you want them.  I have warhound, reaver, imperator, as well as just about all imperial and marine vehicles, lots of buildings, the monolith, some tau stuff, some eldar, some ork, civilian vehicles, etc.  I'm sure I have your email somewhere but I wouldnt know where.  If you want to PM me it just let me know what templates you want.  I am pretty satisfied with this template, it does a good job, but definitely demands adding bits and expanding it considerably with extra armour, etc. so that it doesnt look flat.

In an actual update, as it were, I havent done any work on this in a bit, primarily because I had a surgery last week and have been pretty exhausted all of the time, sleeping through most of the days and being unable to really use my eyes.  I'm pretty much recovered, if still tired, so I expect to get back to construction soon, and will likely leave the extra armour on the feet until later because its really slowing me down and making me unmotivated to work on it.

I am hoping to work on the drop pod during/after this construction, as well as the monolith as I will be ordering my Necrons soon, but I definitely think I will be making a Reaver before too long.  Its a really fun project, and the Reaver is really twice the titan the Warhound is, and yet still so usable.  For the points, titans really are a steal.

Oh, and as far as the Eldar titans, while I dont seem to have any modeling info I do have various sources of rule info, so I can parcel that out as well.  Most of it unofficial stuff I dont believe GW/FW ever released.

aaaannnd, I did try stippling a bit a week or so back, but it really didnt come out well (tried it on the bottom of the toes).  Havent ever tried it before and not sure how to manage.  Straight red really looks bland, so I will need to figure something out.  Have you ever done spottling Moc?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:02:16 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
Tonight I hope to find some time to cut out the templates and then the plasticard for the legs, so that perhaps this weekend or soon I can try heat bending and get the legs assembled.

This friday I have a 2500 or 3000pt test game to see how the titan fits into my army style and how I intend to field him (as heavy fire support which I organize my fire support section around in a defensive formation, with my aggressive units more angled towards taking down threats to the titan) and how the weapons I want to build will serve me.  I will let you all know how it goes.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
Boiling water usually works for me... as flame work is dodgy at best....

Cheers

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 10:44:07 PM »
I do wish I had an electric kitchen boiler....I do need to pick one of those up.  Is there any negative effect in cookware from anything possibly coming off plasticard?  Boiling/very hot water does sound like a good idea, though I wasn't intending on using any kind of actual flame, just a clothes iron.  Water is a lot easier, though, I am thinking.

The test game got postponed, by the way.  Hoping to pick it up soon, but damn I do lead a busy life at least in how my time is claimed.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2009, 09:38:48 PM »
I just use a pot and water... boil the water, and dip the plastic in (using tongs) or hold over the steam... then bend and shape gently and slowly (some time multiple cooks)...

I use the dishwasher to clean the pot after.. no problem.. Wife doesn't even nag me for it.

Cheers

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips moc.  I've been crazy busy lately, starting back up my studies this fall, hiring employees, and taking care of the sick girlfriend, but really hoping to try this soon!

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: October 8, 2009, 07:04:47 PM »
Life has been crazy busy lately, so I haven't had any time to work on the warhound in a while.  however I'm sitting down now to cut out the leg pieces.  Also, I went to the dollar store the other day and managed to grab some Terrible quality army man toys, which happened to come with proper scale assault cannons, and something I may use for Gatling assault cannons.  Given this, I think I have my extra/defensive weapons for the warhound, and for the knight titan I hope to make at some point.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
Go Dollar store Go..

Cheap is always good in my books... Show pics

Cheers

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
Aye, I'll get picks up of those bits in the next few days.   I meant Gatling auto cannons and individual assault cannons, by the way. 

I have the leg plates all cut and ready for bending, but may not have the time for a week or so to actually do it.  Anytime I actually remember I'll have all the PVC joints cut and ready to go, and in a few I think I'm going to cut the templates for the hips and the joint caps.

Yesterday I received 5 more terminators, and a friend is handing me another missile launcher for them, so I'll be 3000 ready to test out the titan soon.  I'm really excited to get this things legs together so that I have something a bit more assembled than feet (kinda takes away from the effect with no real height and when its not connected).

I think a couple of Gatling auto cannons is probably a bit much as a defensive weapon without dishing out more points for it in compensation, so I will probably attach the assault cannons somewhere around waist level as discussed earlier.

In unrelated news, it's actually been a few weeks since I worked on my vindicator, but it's nearly painted, I really just need to do cleanup work, lights and other small details, and highlighting.  I just haven't been in the mood to paint in a while.  I also did some updating on my whirlwind with some extra detailing, namely adding chipping, smoke marks, and other weathering.

For my next painting target I'm thinking either some of my terminators, or another tac squad.  The tac squad I always use (always use two), and the terminators I almost always use as well, but I'm leaning towards the terminators as I have a bit more room for doing something more unique and detail oriented (I have some skull piles, some genestealer skulls, and other bits).

Terrain wise I havent really been working on anything, even though I have many projects that have been started (one bunker, a comm tower, a watch tower, a dozen more of my gothic barriers, and so on).  Given my time constraints I probably wont be starting anything new soon, though I have some really awesome bastion/rampart shaped Styrofoam (yay for the spouse buying a new computer!), if I didnt mention that already, but I doubt I'll do anything with that soon either.  Granted when I get my warhound closer to being done and start actual apocalypse games I will definitely be wanting to make a huge defensive bastion to attack and defend in the 3-5000+ range.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:35:03 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
So I took a bit of time trying to list out all the fit and finish detail work I want to do on the warhound to try to make it feel more complete (I had nothing else to do and couldn't leave).  This is certainly not an exhaustive list but I think its a damn good start.

-extra armour on toes, shins, shoulders
-unique banner suspended by chains from groin
-rivets
-vindicator fans on top or back
-terminator skulls (the little AOBR bits for the bases)
-purity seals and vehicle banners (wind flapping DA ones)
-MARS tech symbol (forge world order) for back/shoulder
-assault cannon +/ storm bolter defense weapons
-HP cartridge packaging on shoulders.
-tank hatches on top/back
-sprue plastic for edgework on shoulders
-tank chain bits
-vehicle imperial eagles on shins
-metal grating on top
-stippling/spoting painting texture
-weathering/rusting/chipping

Also I want to do something with green stuff, but I really don't know where to start with that, no idea what I'd do.  I'd like to do something though.  I'd also love to somehow get mini gargoyles for the top of the shoulders if I could find some.

And I'm planning on taking an ork, tyranid, or some other opposing race and using small gauge wire to attach them at the wrists and maybe ankles from the shin armour, bleeding out and eviscerated.  I think that'd be a cool detail.  I have orks on hand and they would be somewhat easy to work with.

Anyone have any additional ideas for detailing this monster?

Offline ChaplainRobb

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2009, 04:40:05 PM »
First things first: I want more pictures of this titan!
Aside from that, for greenstuff I'd stick to small details, like maybe the inside of the cockpit.  You can see far too many imperfections if it's on a large scale.  That is if you're not a pro, like some around here.
Gargoyles - the Mordheim building sprues had a few gargoyles to add to the cardboard buildings.  Not sure where you'd find those without spending an arm and a leg, but there it is for you anyway.
Dangling orks - I think it may look better if they were strapped around the leg armor or other areas.  Dangle a few from fairly stationary areas, because if they are indeed swinging from ropes or chains, chances are they'll have long sailed away when the titan swings it's arms or lopes about.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.  - George Carlin

Check my Blog for the Emperor's Shields at:
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?blog=14.0

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
Thanks for the input rob!  I think I'll be painting and modeling the DE mentioned below first, and then I'm hoping to get the already cut legs assembled and painted, then I'll get pics up.

What I had intended for the hanging corpse is not to just suspend it (though having one tied at the wrists hanging from a weapon is an amusing notion), but to have the wire around each wrist/arm, as well as its ankles and have it tied to the shin armour.  I have given this more thought during more hour commute today, and remembered that I have a host of DE as well.  I think what will work best for now (especially as it takes a lot more work to paint the flesh of an ork and have it look good).  So I will paint up a DE warrior, probably in darker colours to contrast the bright red of the shin armour, he will have a series of cuts and bullet holes on his armour, his head will be hanging forward, as will the torso a little bit.  I will have one of his helmet eyes cracked.  He will be eviscerated, his stomach armour torn open and apart, the armour peeled back a bit.  The edges of that will be blackened as a burn mark, and I may use some green stuff to have some organs popping out.  Edges of armour punctures will be highlighed, as it were, in boltgun metal.  Blood, naturally, will be coming from open wounds, and I may lop off one of his arms at the wrist, or elbow.  Blood will be a bit darker red sot aht it looks dried and so that it stands out on the already bright red armour.

I will also be taking the various opposing army helmets/heads and probably mounting them with the terminator skulls at equal distances on the top of the shoulders.

Allllsoooo I think I'm going to use the green stuff to make muzzle flash flames coming from a few of the vulcan mega bolter barrels.  As long as I can make the flames look moderately good, I think it will be a cool effect.

Annnnd I will naturally be using various loyalist decals, such as the SM vehicle eagles and what not.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:42:13 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »
I'm sitting here with the plasticard leg pieces in just off the stove boiling water, but it doesn't seem to be adding any malleability.  I Really do not want to cut them apart then glue them together, but this just isn't working.  It becomes a bit more malleable, but I just snapped a piece trying to get the full angle cleanly bent.

In a period of forced boredom I spent more time looking at the knight titan stats, and decided I wanted one with more ranged damage capacity, so I altered the weapon set for the Knight Warden model, changing it to being equipped with a Knight Battle Cannon, as well as a weapon I designed called the Inferno Rocket Launcher.  72" S10 AP1 Heavy (2) 3" blast.  Melta rule, which is applied at any range, as they do not detonate until contact is made with the target.

The dark eldar model that I will be using to tie to the shin of my titan has been modeled, and just needs to be painted and attached once the leg is made.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:22:28 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »