News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Morrissey Marines?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
Morrissey Marines?
« on: October 5, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
Trying to get a mate into 40k, I suggested a marine force based around The Smiths, all daffodils tied to ceramite, thick glasses and unconsumated lusts. Microphones will be held in powerfists, and hearing aids will be greenstuffed in ears.

For Traits I was thinking 'Never Despair' (How Soon is Now?) and 'We Stand Alone', almost perfectly suited the idea.

In my head it's somewhere between Lamentors and Pretty Marines.

Morrissey will make a fine chapter leader, and Marr would make a decent Librarian or Chaplain

But I need more inspiration and suggestions. And a suitable name...
Halp!
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
Re: Morrissey Marines?
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2007, 08:07:20 PM »
Youre kidding right?

You honestly think that you can get your mate into 40k by dressing them up as the Smiths? As much as i love Morrissey and Marr I feel almost ashamed with myself for replying to this post...
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2007, 04:38:21 AM »
Youre kidding right?
I wish I was trolling... ;D

You honestly think that you can get your mate into 40k by dressing them up as the Smiths?
Just bought Battle for Macragge between us, so that's the idea.
C'mon, stop with the rage and give me some ideas for toy soldiers.
I wouldn't have posted otherwise.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
I just dont think that theming your marines after your favourite band is the way to get your pal into the game. Does he honestly want to go to his local store and publically game with a load of marine with flowers and microphones in their hands? Do you honestly think that anyone else will 'get' the homage you are paying to the Smiths?

Does your friend not have any military or Sci-fi influences? These are the things that tend to influence most gamers when deciding what way to build their armies. Have you introduced him to the various special chapters that are already availible such as the Dark Angels or Blood Angels?

I'd say that trying to attract your mate to the game by attempting to establish and justify what is at the very best an extremely tenuous link to the Smiths is a bit of a long shot, and I'd be bold enough to say that if the only way you can pique his interest is to desperately try to establish such a theme, then perhaps Marines are not the army for him, and perhaps 40k is not the game for him.

Theres 30 years of history behind the game, an infinate amount of choice in fiction to take your influences from, and a wide selection of armies and models. I'm sorry, but if that isnt enough to impress a person into coming up with some enthusiastic ideas of their own then I'm not sure they have the imagination to really get the best out of the hobby.
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2007, 10:59:47 AM »
I agree with Witham. I think the idea of a chapter of Smith Marines would be awesome, but really, the Smiths are a band that would be nigh-impossible to model a chapter of Space Marines on: they have no trademark look or dress code, and it would be really hard for you to identify, by their looks alone, that they have a connection to the Smiths. Now, bands with a unique look (the White Stripes, Lordi, etc) would work better as Marine chapters: I once saw a CSM army modelled on various personas in heavy metal (Ozzy, Lemmy, Ronny James Dio, etc), and another Fantasy Chaos army modelled on KISS. Those armies work because the opponently immediately recognizes the bands they're modelled on. A band like the Smiths, however, who, while popular, were never instantly recognizable for any trademark looks, will be hard to model and even harder for the opponent to recognize.

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
« Reply #5 on: October 6, 2007, 11:55:45 AM »
He did collect Space Wolves, but that was lifetimes ago.

Does he honestly want to go to his local store and publically game with a load of marine with flowers and microphones in their hands?
He'd love the idea of that! :D This is going to be between mates. He saw one battle between me and another guy, and says he'll give it a shot. We need more players than just 2, and if we get one more person, another guys who's also interested might take it up.

I'd say that trying to attract your mate to the game by attempting to establish and justify what is at the very best an extremely tenuous link to the Smiths is a bit of a long shot, and I'd be bold enough to say that if the only way you can pique his interest is to desperately try to establish such a theme, then perhaps Marines are not the army for him, and perhaps 40k is not the game for him.
I lol'd. What's the matter? Not GRIM enough for you?

I think the idea of a chapter of Smith Marines would be awesome, but really, the Smiths are a band that would be nigh-impossible to model a chapter of Space Marines on: they have no trademark look or dress code, and it would be really hard for you to identify, by their looks alone, that they have a connection to the Smiths.
That's why it's hard to find a workable solution, but the best I can think of is Meat is Murder across shoulderpads and such. I saw a Resident Evil 4 Undead army, and immediately made the connection, but this is well more obscure.

It's not going to be Smith Marines as per se, more... inspired by them.
Lol.

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »
Well, if you still decide to go through with a Smiths chapter....well, I can't think of any Chapter names that don't sound absolutely ridiculous (Ringleaders of the Tormentors, Handsome Devils, These Charming Marines, etc etc)

Judging by your forum name, though, one would think you'd instead be trying to make a Joy Division chapter (which is simple: just paint them all in black, and model the Captain in the middle of an epileptic seizure).

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
« Reply #7 on: October 7, 2007, 07:57:42 AM »
Judging by your forum name, though, one would think you'd instead be trying to make a Joy Division chapter (which is simple: just paint them all in black, and model the Captain in the middle of an epileptic seizure).
At last! Someone gets the reference!!!
Actually in the process of doing a numb, existential 'Colony'- inspired Guard force. Skip on over to the Fiction boards, it's rather flavoursome. ;)

...well, I can't think of any Chapter names that don't sound absolutely ridiculous (Ringleaders of the Tormentors, Handsome Devils, These Charming Marines, etc etc)
As awesomely ridiculous as they sound, it just doesn't fit in at all, I agree.
Perhaps I should just put the boot in, or wait for suitable inspiration to strike.
(Hand in Powerfist? Horus(it was really nothing)...)
Lol.