News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Bolter Baby" Russ  (Read 1290 times)

Offline phonecall_of_Cthulu

"Bolter Baby" Russ
« on: July 16, 2007, 02:43:53 AM »
So I got two Leman Russ kits the other day, and I want to make one a "Bolter Baby", i.e. 3 heavy bolters.  Problem is, the kit doesn't seem to know you can take a Lascannon OR HB.  Where's my third HB?!

Offline Ghaz

• I argue because I care
Re: "Bolter Baby" Russ
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:31 AM »
It's not in the kit and never has been.  The Leman Russ kit dates back to second edition when you could only take heavy bolter sponsons and a hull-mounted lascannon.  Simply take a plastic heavy bolter from the heavy weapons kit.
"A commander must have the courage to see his plan through,
for good or ill. Wars are won or lost when the battle-lines are
drawn
."
-The Tactica Imperium-

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 04:30:49 AM »
There is a metal heavy bolter that you can bitz order, that used to come with the exterminator.

That said, it is cheaper for most people just to use a heavy bolter from the cadian/catachan heavy weapon sprue.  It's actually not that difficult conversion - I do suggest, however, that you cut the back off the heavy bolter before gluing it on, otherwise the thing looks ridiculously long.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:40:46 AM »
Aye, that was my original backup plan (barring bitz orders and such)...  The only problem with that is the annoying belt-feed opening which will be painfully obvious :(

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:52:04 AM »
It should'nt be too difficult to remove that, clip, file away and fill the holl with Green Stuff or some other filler, should be fine.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
as well, if you have any spare tank parts around from a tank that you didn't use the heavy bolters from (so like a heavy flamer chimera, or a las/plas demolisher), they should be easy enough to convert.

As well, you don't need to use an infantry heavy bolter from so far back. Just cut off everything in front of the ammo feed and glue it on. If that's too short, I'm sure you can find SOMETHING to glue the heavy bolter end onto.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:26:44 AM »
just stick it onto the sponson drum from the hull lascannon that you didn't use. And to be honest, the exterminator heavy bolters are a little off cast (or at least the six I got were, I'm VERY slowly making an AC) and not square.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Wuxiong

• Major, Best Painted Valkyrie
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
Get the Heavy Bolter from the Heavy Weapon Team sprue, then cut off a piece of the the Heavy Bolter, about a little bit of the back of it, then cut the Lascannon from the cylinder then you attach the heavy bolter to the Cylinder with lots of greenstuff.

This is what I ended up with:

I've also got to mention something else about my tank. All the Side Sponsons and Hull Turrets are portable. I can swap them for Lascannon/Heavy Bolter (Hull), Heavy Bolter/Heavy Flamer (Side Sponsons).

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »
The only problem with this is that it leaves the ammo loading thing exposed. If you don't want that, you'll have to cut the bolter out far up from that point, nearer to the muzzle. As well, one of the things you can do if you have a bit of modelling skill is to cut off the ammo loading part and then greenstuff in (or glue a square of plastocard over) the hole left from the hack job. Then cut to desired length, and you should be fine.

Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 04:21:53 AM »
I'm thinking of rigging up something to hold the ammo can outside of the hull.  Maybe putting it on the dozer blade somewhere?

Impractical, but it'd be nice detail!  I'm also glad I didn;t use any of the HBs from my HW teams, cause it gives me lotsa bitz to play with. :D

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 12:37:20 PM »
I actually am doing something like that right now:

As you can see from the poor-quality picture, this mechanism provides ammo to the front of the bolter from over by the operator.

Offline Wuxiong

• Major, Best Painted Valkyrie
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
The Ammo Loader dosen't bother me really. But yeah, If it bothers you, I too would suggest shaving it off and use greenstuff to fill in the gaps.

EDIT: That idea with the ammo is good. Doing that would be good.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:48:38 PM by Celestial Dragon »

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:32:05 AM »
That pic has just brought it home to me how poor the barrel length of the Heavy bolter is (this is not critisism of your great conversion).

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 07:45:29 AM »
Umm, actually, the design is just fine. Rather than using a gas-operated system, the cadian heavy bolter uses a blowback system. The tell-tale sign of a firearm using this system is that there is a heck of a lot of the gun behind the receiver, like this guy:

While this is all really fascinating, it also has increasingly less to do with how to get 3 heavy bolters onto a Russ, hmm? ;) Also: picture resized. -Pax
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 09:03:36 AM by PaxImperator »

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 10:15:49 AM »
To add what Pax has said, I don't know why suddenly everyone feels like all the old rules can suddenly be ignored (offtopic, spam etc...) but it stops now. Please - think of the children!

That said - you can pick up the 3rd Heavy Bolter from GW site pretty easily enough - it's also pretty damned cheap as well. I bought a few for my Armored Company some months ago. Although - it's easily converted through any spare Heavy Bolters that you have laying around (and as a Guard player, you should have a few). With a bit of greenstuff and a scapel - you can do almost anything.
Real men fight in Tanks!

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 07:38:13 PM »
Sadly for me, I can't really get greenstuff easily where I am. :(  If anyone has any good and cheap alternatives for greenstuff, please PM me with them!