News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 10th 40KOnline UK Tournament - OFFICIAL Tournament Thread!  (Read 33488 times)

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
Re: 10th 40KOnline UK Tournament - OFFICIAL Tournament Thread!
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
True Mutley, we really must ban these nasty IA lists, they are far worse than the Guard list that tabled every comer in 5 turns or less  ;D
Codex armies just cant match IA in their lethality can they???  :o

Sarcasm aside, my earlier statement stands. Were all going for fun and the openness of the tournie (i hope).
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2011, 04:08:59 AM »
Leave you guys alone for a few weeks and look what happens!

So, let's put our 'practical hats' on:

Who's thinking of using Forge World stuff; do you think it's likely to upset anybody? It's good to discuss what we should and shouldn't allow but if nobody is going to bring one of these strange lists I'm really not fussed about if they are allowed or not.

i agree with popsical. the badab lists might be nasty but are they any worse than the discusting leaf blower list that won last year?

Coming from the guy that uses Drop Pods that allow Dreadnaughts to charge the turn they land...

I'm not sure how we would handle the Siege Vanguard Army list. It has already been said that such an army would essentially be playing a separate game to everyone else... and this may be unduly unfair (either to the vanguard army, or their opponents). Like Zilverscale has mentioned though, I am loath to start saying that you should NOT be allowed to use this list - as we shouldn't cherry pick what to allow and what not to allow (otherwise we could just as easily ban Mephiston... or Blood Angels as a whole for whatever reasons we can think of!?)

Banning stuff from codexes is a lot different from banning Forge World's hocusy pocus rule-set. I can write better rules than Forge World -- that's not even opinion but pure fact.

For the record, I have no problem with people using Forge World units but let's not kid ourselves when we try to take Forge World's rules seriously.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »
We could quite simply say that only forgeworld units can be used, not special characters or army lists.  A simple blanket decision, but ensure a fair playing field for everyone.

Of course i am sure there will be some people who will rage at this idea, but it either that or just accept anything goes and put up with the wierd, OTT and plain silly.

However, when it comes down to it, the rules as stated on the front page of this thread are clear. If its a print army then its allowed.   

This makes most sense to me, while I don't have significant balance complaints about the Forgeworld lists they are quite different from 'normal' armies while in this fashion its quite interesting it also can mean a lot of time explaining whats what and so on. More complex rules don't mean something is better after all.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »
We could quite simply say that only forgeworld units can be used, not special characters or army lists.  A simple blanket decision, but ensure a fair playing field for everyone.

Of course i am sure there will be some people who will rage at this idea, but it either that or just accept anything goes and put up with the wierd, OTT and plain silly.

However, when it comes down to it, the rules as stated on the front page of this thread are clear. If its a print army then its allowed.   

This makes most sense to me, while I don't have significant balance complaints about the Forgeworld lists they are quite different from 'normal' armies while in this fashion its quite interesting it also can mean a lot of time explaining whats what and so on. More complex rules don't mean something is better after all.

Except you'll have the same problem (with explaining rules) if you ban special chars, and army lists and allow units.

As some of those units have a whole page full of rules.

So IMHO this will put you right back at the beginning of the problem.

Plus you'll have the same problem with home made codexes (if the org does decide to allow them), or out of print ones (Kroot, Harlies etc).
You'll have a lot of explaining to do as not everyone will be familiar with them.

Lol at Vanguard tournament I sometimes had problems due to some of my opponents heavily converted models....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:59:18 PM by Zilverscale »

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rathstar

• Rathstar's 40k Ramblings
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tau, Space Wolves
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »
Hi,

After ordering the other half to let me have the car (read grovelled like a kid), I'll be coming this year (payment via paypal has been sent). I'm not to happy with my current 1750 list, so I'll have to see what I can paint up in a month.

At least I'm not bringing my Tau with it's 6 twin-linked railguns.

See you all in just under a month :)

Rathstar
___________________ _________________

View my 40k Blog at: Rathstar's Ramblings

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
i agree with popsical. the badab lists might be nasty but are they any worse than the discusting leaf blower list that won last year?

Coming from the guy that uses Drop Pods that allow Dreadnaughts to charge the turn they land...

lol, if i recall you were more discusted by my double multimelta landspeeders!
oink is a nancy!

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
    • Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »
Just got recent payments (paypal)
List my end looks like this (pd = PAID)
1   Dizz   Pd
2   Rathstar   Pd
3   Tarrin (The Book... until the next name change...)   Pd
4   Chuckles   Pd
5   oink   Pd
6   666_Mutley_666   Pd
7   Mutleys' James (Hey, why haven't you got this chap to sign up to 40KOnline!?!)   Pd
8   Changeyname   Pd
9   triplehelixwargames   Pd
10   M4rtok   Pd
11   Popsical   Pd
12   Hymirl   Pd
13   Valar   Pd
14   Sheepz   
15   Lorizael   Pd
16   Andromidius   
17   Hawaiian Zombie   
18   The Raven   Pd
19   SeriousCallersOnly   Pd
20   Col. Gravis   
21   Tim B (with Col. G)   
22   James F (with Col. G.)   
23   Unleash Mayhem   
24   Unleash Mayhem +1 !?   
25   Jim_my_lad   
26   James Bessey - BFG   Pd
27   -   
28   -   
29   -   
30   -   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:39:17 AM by MacVurrich »
Bagpipe's are not deadly weapons !. Well it depend who's playing them ! ;)
Bracknell Forest GamersThe Gaming Club Network - GAME ON ![/B]
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2011, 02:49:21 AM »
I'm certain Mutley has paid for two tickets (you missed off the Pd on his buddy)... I've made sure to update the list on the first page...

Also, I see that you have had a buyer from BFG, thats great, I know its further than usual, but I'm sure you'll find a few others.

On that note, be sure to let Steve from TWH know that he is welcome to offer up some tickets to "suitable" gamers (read= no outrageously sexy lycra-clad pixies   :P )

TO everyone else, you have until THIS WEEKEND to get your tickets at the reduced price! There are a fair few of you who have expressed interst but have not yet paid. I know you might be waiting for pay day, but make sure you don't miss the mark!

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
    • Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2011, 03:42:48 AM »
Corrected
The BFG came last time and in reality was the first person to send me payment - PayPal this time :) (he's a lurker on here :))
I'll let Steve Know (though as he's on here I think he'll all ready know )

To Mirrow O:nk
charge is goign up in August
if your paying on the Door let me and O:nk know
Bagpipe's are not deadly weapons !. Well it depend who's playing them ! ;)
Bracknell Forest GamersThe Gaming Club Network - GAME ON ![/B]
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Cpt_Lucifer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to the site but not 40k, I would like to sign up for the tournament.

Cpt_Lucifer (BFG)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2011, 06:08:41 AM »
Sure thing! I'm sure you know Mac already... be sure to arrange payment to him as directed in the first post (or in person). Glad to have you along! I'll add you to the interest list and be able to note you as paid as soon as that goes through (note that your spot is not secure until you have paid for your ticket)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
Except you'll have the same problem (with explaining rules) if you ban special chars, and army lists and allow units.

As some of those units have a whole page full of rules.

So IMHO this will put you right back at the beginning of the problem.

No it won't, as familiarity with one unit or character is a completely different situation to playing a different mission. Particularly when you're now playing a custom mission that the person with the forgeworld army is totally familiar with and you're not.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2011, 04:44:48 AM »
RE: Forgeworld lists

The lists are not designed for competative play in anyway shape or form. They are designed for fluffy campaigns and one-off scenarios, where balance is secondary to the interest of something that performs very differently.
They can be completely broken for competative play if using a standard FOC and missions, and despite this being a "friendly" tournament, I think it's fair to say that both players in every game will want to have a chance at actually winning.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:35 AM »
I have no issues with fighting against a forge world list. As this tournament is really just another excuse for being able to use our cool toys, I am happy to let someone use say... the death korps army list that is supposed to go with their awesome models... or an ellysian army how it was trully intended! Similarly, if anyone wants to bring along an army of renegades then I'd love to see their awesome models and conversions too! If someone wants to bring a killer kan list, or armoured company then thats also great... lots of cool models, and powerful armies, but difficult to win with due to having trouble with capturing objectives!

My only concern with the siege assault list is that it affects the game objectives - and this may well impact a tournament setting much more than oddly balanced lists. This is because we will be capturing a set number of objectives in our games, and playing exactly the same mission as each other in order to balance out the game points. The Siege Assault list will be playing its own game, and this may well adversely impact (or advantage) them or their opponent in relation to everyone else.

Again, I don't think that anyone is planning on using the siege assault list (indeed Unleash_Mayhem has admitted he only wants to use one character within his army - again, which I don't have any issue with).

I want to bring along a couple of forge world units for my own army too... the Hades (which has been discussed by a number of vets too) makes it into the army because I got the model for fathers day and I think it looks awesome! and I also want to use a Salamander HQ, because I converted a cool looking command jeep which will fit this, and my army theme just right!

I think it is important that we allow people to use these sorts of things because it is a wider part of the hobby and really the only chance that you can be sure of taking your forge world kit to a tournament and playing with it! Of course there may well be good reason for other tournaments not allowing forge world... but I don't think we want to diminish the spirit of this event by getting too bogged down in the competitiveness of it all. I think that there are enough tournaments out there to cater for that already! (and plan on going to a longest day tournament at bristol as soon as I can to experience this fully)

If people are still very concerned (specifically about the siege list) then I thin kthat we can dis-allow this army list only - on the basis that it affects the victory conditions which, for this tournaments are pre-set, and if g00gle5 decides that he wants to introduce sub-missions again then we know there won't be any conflict there either.

What say ye all?!

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2011, 05:13:07 AM »
But how do you draw the line?
Plenty of the other lists appear to have crazy broken rules like allowing a Marine army to take Lemun Russes for instance...

A blanket ban on the lists seems the fairest option, while still allowing people to use the special units.

Yes, it's supposed to be fun.
But I contest that getting steam rollered by a list that isn't balanced for tournament play is not fun for the other player.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2011, 05:19:10 AM »
I draw the line at the list which affects the game objective - because this can directly affect the set up of the tournament, as I'm sure everyone can agree.

To my knowledge, this is the only list which does this.

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2011, 05:32:55 AM »
The easiest way to settle this is to set up another poll....

Do we allow
a) all forge world lists and units?
b) all forge world lists except the seige list and all units?
c) units only?
d) units only and no special characters?

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2011, 06:34:38 AM »
you asked, and you will receive. The old poll has been changed to a new one to help settle the issue. I think this poll should only last about a week, as I will need to adjust the tournament pack and we will need to ensure that all people who have paid are informed off the change in case this affects their army list.

I'm particularly concerned if we do not allow any forge world lists, only if someone has bought a ticket on the pretence that they wanted to come in order to use one. 

Vote now...

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
Something's gone a bit wrong with the poll, since it's impossible (for me at least) to actually vote in it
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2011, 06:50:12 AM »
its the "voting closed issue"... calling in the big guns... hopefully it'll be sorted soon enough.