News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 pts versatile Ulthwé (mech/foot hybrid)  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Belching Drunkard Aspect

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
1750 pts versatile Ulthwé (mech/foot hybrid)
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »
Howdy folks;
this is my first post on these forums. Reason for posting is, Im looking at investing in some more models for my Ulthwé army. Trick is, I've been having problems with the usual Tyranid Big Guys- and Chaos Daemons daemon-prince-greater-daemon-lists. I also want an army that is more versatile than the one I currently have, and can work against many different types of opponents. So I came up with the list below, and in my mind it would work against MEQs, GEQs, Big Guys, and other things like that. I would love some feedback on it, before I go wasting my hard-earned cash. Please bear with any miscalculations I've made (would also be nice of any of you to confirm that it's actually the correct amount of points - I havea tendency to "get blind" to my own miscalculations. :P). I'd also love some ideas on how this can be modified to be more "Ulthwéish".

Farseer 125
Guide, Fortune, Spirit Stones
6 Warlocks 150

Farseer 125

5 Dark Reapers 175

10 Dire Avengers 147
Exarch, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent, Spirit Stones, TL BL 145

10 Guardian Defender Squad 85
Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent, Spirit Stones, TL EML, SC 140

10 Guardian Defender Squad 95
Scatter Laser

6 Fire Dragons 108
Exarch w.Flamer
Wave Serpent, Spirit Stones, TL SC 110

War Walker Squadron 210
3 Walkers; SL/SC

War Walker Squadron 140
2 Walkers; SL/SC

Models: 54
Killpoints: 13
Scoring units: 3

The trick with the list would be to use the foot-Guardians and Dark Reapers as a firebase, potentially supported by one Farseer and the unit of two walkers. The other walkers (or all, depending) and the Seer Council march across the table laying down fire, while the others sweep up on a flank. Farseers Fortune and Guide the walkers, while staying out of sight as much as possible (they'll have to decide whether to shoot at my Farseer, and let the Walkers survive at least one more round, or shoot at a very likely Cover-save-provided and fortuned unit of vehicles). Seer Council is the primary CC unit here, but in an emergency, Walkers can go in and lend some weight. Big trouble I can see with the list is CC, but a heavy firebase and mobility on many of my units should keep me out of the thick of it - unless that's where I want to go.

Only units I don't want to compromise over are the Guardian Units (the list isn't very Ulthwé as it is, and getting rid of my Guardians won't improve that :P). Most of the other elements here can be changed for something else. As it stands, I think the list does a decent enough job of representing Ulthwé - Seer Council, two Guardian units, low on Aspects (Dark Reapers, however, included), and with guardians piloting the War Walkers; but I'd really enjoy if someone came up with a variant of the list that fit better with the fluff without loosing in versatility and firepower.

Looking forward to your feedback!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:18:53 AM by Belching Drunkard Aspect »

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: 1750 pts versatile Ulthwé (mech/foot hybrid)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
If its an ulthwé list I would first of all pick eldrad, then if you bring a seer council, which ulthwé should, you don't need fire dragons, give the warlocks spears and mount them in something appropriate.

Defender guardians with a SC does the same thing as the avengers when mounted in a serpent, therefore avengers are not needed in the list.

I suggest taking 2 units of storm guardians in serpents, one with 2 flamers and destructor and the other with 2 fusion guns and a spear.

I would then config the walkers to have one unit with SLs only and the other with SC only, their weapons don't get twin-linked like the wraithlords.

Some jetbikes might serve you well to, I would like to try the 14 model unit with 4 cannons, embolden warlock and a doom+fortune seer on a jetbike, it could be cruel.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:10:41 PM »
Thanks a lot for the feedback! :)

If its an ulthwé list I would first of all pick eldrad
Perhaps I should have explained beforehand - our gaming club normally doesn't allow named (Special) characters; they think it's a rather large can-o'-worms, and it's a taboo I don't feel like breaking. After all, those pesky Necrons might use it as an excuse to start fielding Nightbringers...

then if you bring a seer council, which ulthwé should, you don't need fire dragons, give the warlocks spears and mount them in something appropriate.

Defender guardians with a SC does the same thing as the avengers when mounted in a serpent, therefore avengers are not needed in the list.
Didn't think of that! I'll probably replace them with some Guardian Defenders with SC and a squad of Warlocks with Singing Spears.

I suggest taking 2 units of storm guardians in serpents, one with 2 flamers and destructor and the other with 2 fusion guns and a spear.
I don't know. That would mean replacing my two Defender squads with Assault squads. They wouldn't be much more efficient, but cost more (at least if fielded with a warlock). I don't see them as reliable against MEQs, but more efficient against hordes. Still... Mind if I say "maybe" on this one? :P

Some jetbikes might serve you well to, I would like to try the 14 model unit with 4 cannons, embolden warlock and a doom+fortune seer on a jetbike, it could be cruel.
True enough, but I don't want to immagine the points cost for that - plus, I need a farseer with each War Walker squad to maximize efficiency for those guys, and I feel they would have much harder a time to catch up/be efficient that way. It would be a sort of "all eggs in one basked" kind of list.

Here's my modified list based on your suggestions:

If its an ulthwé list I would first of all pick eldrad
Perhaps I should have explained beforehand - our gaming club normally doesn't allow named (Special) characters; they think it's a rather large can-o'-worms, and it's a taboo I don't feel like breaking. After all, those pesky Necrons might use it as an excuse to start fielding Nightbringers...

then if you bring a seer council, which ulthwé should, you don't need fire dragons, give the warlocks spears and mount them in something appropriate.

Didn't think of that! I'll probably replace them with some Guardian Defenders with SC and a squad of Warlocks with Singing Spears.

I don't know. That would mean replacing my two Defender squads with Assault squads. They wouldn't be much more efficient, but cost more (at least if fielded with a warlock). I don't see them as reliable against MEQs, but more efficient against hordes. Still... Mind if I say "maybe" on this one? :P

True enough, but I don't want to immagine the points cost for that - plus, I need a farseer with each War Walker squad to maximize efficiency for those guys, and I feel they would have much harder a time to catch up/be efficient that way. It would be a sort of "all eggs in one basked" kind of list.

------------------------
EDIT: Current working list a few posts down.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:51:15 PM by Belching Drunkard Aspect »

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »
The Seer Council is crying out for additional psychic powers.  At the bare minimum you should invest 5 pts in giving one of them Embolden, allowing your Farseer to re-roll any failed psychic tests.  Enhance would also be good for them, ESPECIALLY if they are going to be in hand to hand combat.

The Guardian Defender squads likewise deserve a Warlock, with either Embolden or possibly Conceal, depending on how much cover they have available.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
That is true, and come to think of it I could probably squeeze in an additional Embolden on one of the squads. But for the other additions, Im not sure where to find the points. Any ideas? I probably could lower the cost on the 3-walker squad by arming all of them with SL and arming the other two with SC, but is the lowering of efficiency worth it?

How about the farseers? Im not sure if it's worth giving the one that's supposed to walk with the 2-walker-squad two psychic powers (Fortune and Guide). Do you think it would be worth removing the Fortune and Spirit Stones, and for the points adding a Warlock to one of the Guardian squads and giving the other two Warlock squads an additional Destructor, Enhance and/or Embolden (or just one psychic power on one of the 'lock squads and Conceal to the Guardians)?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:34:16 PM by Belching Drunkard Aspect »

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:03 PM »
For the Council, which I assume will be heading into close combat, I would drop Spirit Stones and Guide, and add in Runes of Warding.  That will save you 25 pts, enough to give the Council at least one each of Embolden and Enhance.  I would also consider droping the smaller group of Warwalkers all together, in favor of adding the Warlocks and powers you'll need to make your Guardians more effective.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:41:15 PM »
That sounds like it is definately a good idea. As it is now, only one "council" is mounted (that's the 5-man warlock squad), and all the other psykers are footslogging it, with one Farseer babysitting the two warwalkers. If I drop those two, I could put the Farseer in the Wave Serpent, give him Doom or something else that's nice instead of Guide, increase the number on the 5-man squad to something more resilient (8 or 9), and probably stick an enhance or two and emboldens and destructors galore in there. This will definately be much more resilient, and it should probably be able to dish out a rather hefty amount of damage up close. Does that sound like a valid idea to you?

The alternative would be to get another Wave Serpent and put the other 6 warlocks in that, still put Farseer nr 2 in the Serpent with the 5-man squad, and use the remaining points for more powers. Number one brings one extremely hard squad into play very fast and a less powerful one into play slower, the other brings two less hard but still very potent squads up there fast.

EDIT:
Adding alternative list (current) nr 3, based on your suggestions:

Farseer 125

6 Warlocks 190
2xDestructor, Enhance, Embolden
Wave Serpent, spirit stones, TL SC 110

Farseer 75
Fortune    

5 Warlocks 172
2xDestructor, 4 singing spears, Enhance,
Wave Serpent, Spirit Stones, TL SC 110   

10 Guardian Defenders 85
Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent, Spirit Stones, TL BL 145      

10 Guardian Defender Squad 120
Warlock, Conceal
Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent, Spirit Stones, TL EML, SC 140

10 Guardian Defender Squad 95         
Scatter Laser

War Walker Squadron 210
3 Walkers; SL/SC

5 Dark Reapers 175

Models: 55
Killpoints: 13
Scoring units: 3

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:52:02 PM by Belching Drunkard Aspect »

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
This is more or less what I had in mind:

Farseer:  Fortune, Runes of Warding
Warlocks x5-7: Embolden, Enhance (possibly two of each.  Though they are not cumulative, if one of them dies because you had to assign a wound to it, you will still be able to use that power)

Optional Wave Serpent for the Council.

Farseer:  Guide (For your Warwalkers) OR Fortune (if making a second Seer Council).

Warlocks x5-6:  Embolden, Enhance, Singing Spears x4.  (Anti-tank squad, but can also fight in combat if needed).

Mandetory Wave Serpent (or possibly Falcon, if only 5 Warlocks plus Farseer).

Guardians Defenders with EML (auto-hit template compensates for mediocre Ballistic Skill) or Scatter Laser (multiple shots also compensates).  Include a Warlock with Embolden or Conceal (if cover is scarce).

Guardian Defenders, as above (you can mix up the weapons if you like, but the two I suggested are the best in my opinion).

Storm Guardians w/ Flamer or Fusion Gun x2, Warlock with Destructor (and Singing Spear if using Fusion Guns).  Choose special weapons based on the need for additional anti-tank or anti-infantry.

Mandetory Wave Serpent for Storm Guardians.

Optional 2nd squad of Storm Guardians, as above.

Mandetory Wave Serpent IF 2nd Storm Guardian squad taken.

Warwalkers, either with EML and Scatter Laser or Dual Scatter Laser.

Dark Reapers, if second Storm Guardian Squad not taken or if enough points are left over.  I don't like these guys much, but you seem to so I have included them in the "list" I am providing you.

I'm not going to count up all the points right now, but that's more or less what I had in mind based on what you started with.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 06:35:37 PM »
Chaplain swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

In the current nr 3 list I would suggest the fortuneseer rides with the CC warlocks, they will take more advantage of fortune, the conceal warlock would fit better with the footslogging guardians since the others should be able to take cover behind their vehicles if needs be.

If you intend to have those footslogging guardians near the war walkers I would suggest taking embolden for that warlock and join the guide+fortune seer with them to re-roll his psychic tests.

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:44:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys! Here's the new list based on your most rescent suggestions:

Farseer 110
Runes of Warding, Fortune

6 Warlocks 170
Embolden, Enhance

Farseer 75
Guide

5 Warlocks 157
Embolden, Enhance, 4x Singing Spears

10 Guardian Defenders 100
EML

10 Guardian Defenders 95
Scatter Laser

10 Storm Guardians 130
Warlock, Destructor
Flamer, Fusion Gun
Wave Serpent 140
TL EML, SS, SC

10 Storm Guardians 130
Warlock, Destructor
2x Flamers
Wave Serpent
TL BL, SS 145

3 War Walkers 180
Dual Scatter-Lasers

Falcon 145
EML, Spirit Stones

Dark Reapers 175

Total Points: 1752

So the Guide-seer and the 6-man Warlock squad walk with one of the Guardian Defender squads and the War-Walkers across the battlefield to hold any medium-range objectives or eventually catch up with the flying wing and provide close-combat support, all the while giving the assault wing covering fire. The Dark Reapers and the 2nd Guardian Defender squad hang back and hog home objectives and provide covering fire. Falcon carrying the 5-man 'lock squad and Fortune-seer together with the Storm Guardian squads assault flanks and act storm troopers. Eventually I remove one Warlock or two from the 6-man squad (it feels a bit big for a footslogger) and add a destructor or two to the 5-man 'lock squad.

I can definately see this list working beautifully against hordes and GEQs. One reason I want to keep the Dark Reapers is because it's one of the best units vs MEQs in my opinion, and since they can actually put a hurting on big guy monsters.

What still worries me about this list is a Chaos Daemons list with lots of big guys, or a Tyranid list with the same - at least in Annihilation missions. Storm Guardians can't do squat vs big things like that, but I suppose the Dark Reapers and two "councils" will be able to put a decent hurting on any things like that, together with the other heavy weapons in the list.

Does this sound good to you guys, then? Personally, I can definately see it put a hurting to most of the army lists I regularly face (Tau, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, CSM and Chaos Daemons), and probably be something I can bring to some of the local tournaments without getting squished.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:54:34 AM by Belching Drunkard Aspect »

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:42 AM »
As it looks like now, I would consider dropping the footslogging council, unless you can mount them on bikes, let me give it a try on a list:

Farseer 103p (goes in falcon)
Runes of warding, fortune, singing spear.

5 Warlocks 160p (goes in falcon)
Embolden, enhance, 5 singing spears.

Farseer 125p (goes with defender guardians with embolden near Walkers, fortuning concealed guardians in front of them and guiding walkers)
Spirit stones, Guide, fortune.

10 Guardian Defenders 140p
EML
Warlock, conceal.

10 Guardian Defenders 125p
Scatter Laser
Warlock, embolden.

10 Storm Guardians 135p
Warlock, enhance, singing spear
2x Fusion Guns
Wave Serpent 140p
TL EML, SS, SC

10 Storm Guardians 127p
Warlock, Destructor.
2x Flamers
Wave Serpent
TL BL, SS 145p

3 War Walkers 180p
Dual Scatter-Lasers

Falcon 180p
EML, Spirit Stones, Holo-field.

Dark Reapers 175p

1734p total, 16 left to play with, reaper exarch perhaps.
How about it?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:11:10 AM by Fenris »

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
The reason I want to keep the footslogging council in there is mainly due to the risk of a land-raider breaking off and heading for my firebase or deep-strikingg greater deamons or other things. It just feels as if I need a backup close-combat unit, in case the first 'lock squad gets eaten (usually happens after two or three rounds of CC), or in case something shows up nearby (usually also happens, either drop-pods or termies or land-raiders or greater daemons). However, in any scenario where I don't expect something big and nasty like that to show up, the list you made might definately be viable. Though it also would feel nice with some more warlocks just to draw enemy fire off of my other squads.

Apart from that, I think that all that remains is testing it. And taking on that 5-deamon-big-guy list that ate my ordinary list the other day. grrr....  ;)

Thanks a lot for the help guys! Good to be able to make an informed decision on what to waste my cash.

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »
Well, I playtested this list (though not exactly this list) today with good result against an Imperial Guard tank-inf hybrid list; exception being that I replaced the Dark Reapers with a Wraithlord (BL & EML config) and added some other niceties to the other squads for the leftover points. Hard-fought game, and admittedly the dice seemed to love me on occassion, but overall, I definately think this will work nice against most armies.

What basically happened was that me splitting the army into two wings (one fast, and one a bit slower) forced him to split his forces also. However, as the list below described is specifically intended to be fielded as a two self-contained forces, they did much better than his fire-superiority-focused list. The extreme amount of flamers and other bad weaponry in the fast wing made him focus most of his firepower on them, though not enough to kill them - while the Walkers kept to cover, and the Wraithlord, Guardian Defenders, Guideseer, et-al went about flushing out any potential resistance to me taking the centre-placed and flank-placed objectives. It kept him from being able to focus his firepower, was very resilient (even so resilient that at the end I had more models left than he had!), and sent off a lot of firepower in turns 2-4, and still had enough models left at the end of the game that I'm confident I would have managed to take down the rest of his army had we played a few more turns. It would have done even better had he not managed to snipe my Guide-seer with a Leman Russ shot right in the head on turn 1.

All in all, a great list, in my mind. I've yet to test it against the dreaded Nidzilla, though...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:48:02 PM by Belching Drunkard Aspect »

Offline Sevenzilla

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »
Hi. I read through the posts on this thread and want to offer just some thoughts of mine.

Have you thought of using a 10-man wraithguard squad with a spiritseer? This squad could be an excellent objective holder, counting as a troops choice, and could deal with those big monsters that you have been worrying about. The only problem is that they are expensive and need to be used in combination with something good in CC to be effective.

I'm glad you decided to take a Wraithlord instead of Dark Reapers. It fits in more with the Ulthwe scheme and offers you good anti-tank support, as well as anti monstrous creature in shooting and CC.

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
Hey guys!

Just wanted to give you an update on what's happening with my playing and my list, and to comment on Sevenzilla's remark.
The reason I haven't included Wraithguard is that they are, put bluntly, too expensive to purchase - not to mention hard to come by in this part of the world (Northern Europe). That having been said, they could probably find a home in the list if ever I bought some.

The current list I used for my last game as reported above, and for my game today, is the one below:

Farseer 150
Spirit Stones, Eldritch Storm, Runes of Warding, Fortune

Farseer 75
Guide

5 Warlocks 157
Embolden, Enhance, 4x Singing Spears

10 Guardian Defenders 100
EML

10 Guardian Defenders 125
Warlock, Embolden
Scatter Laser

10 Storm Guardians 130
Warlock, Destructor
Flamer, Fusion Gun
Wave Serpent 140
TL EML, SS, SC

10 Storm Guardians 130
Warlock, Destructor
2x Flamers
Wave Serpent
TL BL, SS 145

5 Howling Banshees 80

3 War Walkers 180
Dual Scatter-Lasers

Falcon 180
EML, HF, Spirit Stones

Wraithlord 155
Eldar Missile Launcher, Bright Lance

Im not entirely sure what the current points total is at. Regardless, it has been working beautifully for me.

Today, I met a Space Marine force with drop pods, outflanking bikers, teleporting terminators with a librarian, and lots of artillery. Again, I managed to split his forces in two with my mechanized/stationary wings, and he was unable to focus enough power on either flank. He almost wiped out my stationary wing with the terminators, outflanking bikers, and massed artillery fire. This however left my mechanized wing intact, and my tanks were able to outmaneuver and bust his tanks, and then home back in and contest/hold my home flank. All in all, I feel that this list is working wonderfully.

However, the Howling Banshees and the Eldritch storm on the Farseer appear somewhat unnecessary, and could probably be replaced with something more efficient (more War Walkers, perhaps?). Im thinking about adding in a large squad of Harlies, but am unsure how this would fit with the fluff and theme of the army, and if it would work better - alternatively, enlarge the squad to full size and/or add an exarch. I have a need for a counter-assault unit, a role which they have filled relatively successfully at such a small size as is, but as stated feel they could be more optimized at relatively little loss in firepower since I rarely if ever get to use Eldritch Storm. Alternatively thinking about adding Doom.

Thoughts and opinions as always welcome.

• Ulthwé Vikings?!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »
Hey again.

I know this might be threadamancy but since it's my thread, and unless a moderator minds, I'd like to use it again for another question I have - or rather, for the advice I'd like to ask.

I've been using the above list, or variants thereof, for a goodly while now - pretty much ever since posting it. My experiences with it, and it's variants, has been good - especially since I have now replaced the Howling Banshees with Fire Dragons, sometimes downsizing my council and adding an Avatar instead of one Farseer. I've had only three or four losses since the list was originally posted, quite a load of draws, and about a dozen or so wins. So it should be efficient.

What I'm wondering is, though - is it efficient enough? I'm being torn between using a variant of the list above (but with Fire Dragons and a more maxed-out council in place of Howling Banshees), or a variant with an Avatar and a smaller council footslogging. No key changes, though, as the structure is still intact.

What I am wondering is your opinions on the following, though I realize this may be going down on too detailed a level for you to be able to post any comments:

- Alternative a:
Seer Council dropped down to 3 Warlocks with only Destructor, Warlock from Defender Squad removed, one farseer removed, Banshees removed, Fire Dragons added, Avatar added.

- Alternative b:
Banshees removed, Defender warlock removed, Fire Dragons Added, Council maxed out.

Questions:
1) Which of these alternatives would be most versatile, in your opinion, given the above list and my Hammer-and-Anvil tactic - that is, able to take on the most possible number of other army configurations of the greatest possible number of other races with a solid victory or draw?
2) Which of the above configurations would you consider most "fluffy" for an Ulthwé force? Do you consider the list above to be a good "fluff" representation of a high-points Ulthwé force? What changes would you incur to it in order to make it more "fluffy", but still enabling a "hammer and anvil" tactic and overall "theme" intact? How would you go about this, expanding it into 2000 points?
3) The Wraithlord. While a good tarpit/fire magnet, he usually accomplishes too little to be worth the points - he scares people off true enough, and can usually hold his own under some fire, but normally dies to massed Lascannons after a couple of turns without having inflicted a whole lot of damage on anyone in particular. I am having doubts regarding his efficiency (right now his role is to walk alongside the footslogging warlocks/council and War Walkers, to be able to help in counter-assault and sniping). Any ideas regarding him?

I'm pretty much unsure on what to decide, as I want a list I can stick with /without/ any changes to run for about half a dozen games or so, in order to test it's validity as a tourney list. I've had successes with both variants, but neither has had more success than the other. The lists Im having most problems with is the Tyranid monster horde and shooty/static marines (though that may be the dice playing tricks on me). I'm also thinking about expanding the army to 2000 points, but not really sure what to choose for that points level that would be in keeping with the Ulthwé theme.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:56:28 AM by Belching Drunkard Aspect »