News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Suicide, and it's impact.  (Read 48129 times)

Offline Erenthal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Why does everyone pick on Humungus?
Re: Suicide!
« Reply #20 on: December 1, 2003, 12:33:39 PM »
Well, an uncle of mine was diagnosed with terminal gastro-cancer, and took his car into the woods, then gulped down a bottle of sleeping pills.

He didn´t even leave a message, he just did it. I think it was somewhat egoistic of him, since when you commit suicide your not only killing yourself (duh), but you are also hurting those that know you. We were extremely worried up until they finally found his body. An experience i don´t want to go through again.
I have no sig. So sue me. (Unless this counts as a sig... damn)

Offline Admiral Brea

• People say I look like Liam Neeson?!
« Reply #21 on: December 1, 2003, 12:38:00 PM »
Suicide is by no means the cowardly act people portray it as. Those who address such a serious issue with such a careless and opinionated approach as cowardly have neither the intellect nor the compassion to make their opinion count in the grander scheme of things.

Death is inevitable, and life is nothing more than a hereditary, sexually transmitted disease with fatal consequences. Be there a God, or be there nothing, we have nothing to look forward to beyond the inevitability of death. By hurrying this on you are the most intelligent around, facing the fact that life is inefficent, and the Earth is overpopulated by fools. It's those who choose to live who act cowardly, stupidly, and with general illogicality in their lives. You'll die; everything around you will die to something. The average death rate on this Earth is one per person, and no medical aid will topple this unshakable statistic.

So go on living, because I'm going to be getting a headstart on whatever's left. I never asked to be born. I never asked for this life of curses to be bestowed upon me in such a hostile environment. That's my view on suicide - my own mortality my motive.

The late Samantha-Marie Prince (Archon Kijaye)

I figured she should get a say in this. In her last will and testiment to the world she wrote out every fine detail of what was to be done with her after she had died, in thoughts and physically. There was no doubt, no question about her methodical manner as she paved the way for her own destruction. Now you know from somebody who you can't argue with what suicide is all about.

Now I'd have to disagree with my sister; she never had a fair break in life from the population of this planet, and she went through more pain in a month than what most of you can endure in a year. It doesn't mean she should have done what she did though, because life is something we don't have a lot of. In the billions of years this galaxy exists, we each get seventy to eighty years of work and strife, and grief from one another. I see it here on this message board all the time, and down the street. When I was in Kosovo I saw it through the thermals of a Challenger II.

Doesn't mean you have to quit though. No matter how much of a burden you are, you're always carrying somebody else's weight, even if you don't know it.

We're a club if you think about it. The chosen few by chance or by God that got stitched together on a planet as a community. We're here alive maybe with or maybe without purpose. Regardless, we exist. And when the time comes we will die, either tomorrow or in seventy years time.

Now you can commit suicide and cash in your chips, or you can live life till you can't anymore, and appreciate the finest gamble a God could give you.

You've got sunsets to see and Route 66 to drive. I've been to Cambodia, Germany, Cuba, China, and Kosovo. Not all of them were fun, but they all beat slashes wrists and painkillers.

There's a hell of a lot I could say. You could listen to me or you could listen to my sister. Life's about choice though, not statistics, efficency, or burdens.
"Out of ammo, out of food, out of water, out of luck, out of range of communication, out of time, out of options, out in the open, out of our neith'ka minds."
Archon Kijayle - EO

"I didn't give up smoking, I didn't give up drinking, and I didn't give up adultery, so you can forget me giving up this planet to those damn Tyranids!"
Admiral Brea - 40K.ca

"When you're going through hell, keep going!"
Faye - Exterminatus.net

Offline Secret

• The final act of SecretC
« Reply #22 on: December 1, 2003, 01:16:45 PM »
I once considered suicide. It wasn't for anything that serious it just seemed like the only way out of a bad situation. But instead I formed a new way of acting. Life is short so i'm going to enjoy it as much as I can and although I may not die rich or famous but at least i'll have had fun (After all you can't tkae fame or money with you).

In the most case I think suicide is a fairly stupid idea. You're swapping the certainty of a moderatly happy life(for all who make the effort) for possible oblivion. Of course there are always times when some people are so desperatly unhappy that it may seem a good idea to seek a life after death...
Please send me money or pixies will steal your socks.....

Offline Caligua t3h Liffguard

• Don't ask...just don't ask. Actually...ask.
« Reply #23 on: December 1, 2003, 01:20:11 PM »
I'm going to reserve judgement on whether suicide is cowardly or not, I have no idea what the victims were experiencing and have no right to pass judgement on them.

However, I can say that I honestly cannot understand the suicide victims' mentality. What is it that can make a man or woman completely lose hope? Like I said, I've never been in a situation that seemed to warrant me taking my own life but I've been in life or death situations before and never has the thought occured to me to give up.

As for Kijayle's quote, I couldn't disagree more. True, we will all die. But if it is inevitable then it does not matter when you die. I will go on living, simply because I can. I have decades left (hopefully), they are my decades and I'll be damned if I'm going to give them up before I have to. Even if I were to only have one day left, it's my day and I intend to use it.
"Aren't you afraid of playing God, lad?"
"I am God. Thou art God...and any jerk I remove is God, too."

Offline MysticArcher

• the RedStar2000 papers
« Reply #24 on: December 1, 2003, 01:48:21 PM »
Kijayle is dead?
       I didn't know that

Sometimes I agree with part of what she said, how illogical, foolish and ignorant people are, how powerless one person can be against the harsh world
        But suicide only makes the world worse, by removing the people who see the problems of the world and leaving only fools
        I can't judge whether suicide is cowardly, every person's choices are their own, no one can judge them

Hmm, how about those "other" Christian "values"? You know, complete obedience to the clerical hierarchy, burning witches and heretics, persecuting scientists and other non-believers, launching crusades to grab this or that piece of desirable real estate, slavery, oppression of women and gay people, violence against children...stuff like that.

It's all "in the Bible"...which means they can bring any of it up whenever they think the moment is opportune.

Offline The Bladesinger

• Foul-mouthed Monkeigh - BANNED
  • Real eyes realize real lies
    • Project Starfall
« Reply #25 on: December 1, 2003, 02:09:12 PM »
Kijayle is dead?  :'(

*A moments silence ensues*

What a shame, what a shame.

BANNED for excessive use of foul language.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #26 on: December 1, 2003, 02:50:39 PM »
Has anyone ever known someone who did it.
   Three people; one successful, one with a single failed attempt, one with... 28? failed attempts. Basically she is just no good at it.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Arc'engal

• All paint, no game.
« Reply #27 on: December 1, 2003, 03:45:58 PM »
I'm sure she'll appreciate not being able to kill herself right(!)

Speaking from a personal viewpoint, hell yeah I've thought about it, and like a lot of things people deny they think of, most have thought about it. To be honest, the only reason I'm probably still here is this nigglin' little belief I have.

Suicide = Automatic Hell, no trial, no excuse, no way out

Now, seeing as to commit suicide with the intention of escaping hell on Terra inevitably lands you in Hell in the Malebolge anyway (for any who haven't read Inferno by Dante check it out), that means there is no point to it other than to slap people in the face for not recognising your problems earlier.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not just another random teen-lamer. My head is (it would get censored)ED. Totally. My folks raised me great but whenever I stepped out the house I got trampled on. I never got to have a childhood because I grew up being scared of everyone who wasn't family. I have no idea how to behave around girls, so therefore I've been single all my life. I'm one of those kids who's likely to say the line:

"I thought you were different, but you're just one of them!!!"

In other words. But I'm still here, waiting for the thing that I'm supposed to be waiting for.

In conclusion...dunno. Suicide is bad.
Now has an avatar, rather than a box with an X.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 1, 2003, 04:39:41 PM »
As has been said suicide is something you cant truely comment on unless you given it some deep thought to doing it. The worse thing about suicide is it often gives birth to this little creature called 'what if' now this creature is truely horrible and parasitic it will leach on to everyone nearby by and bombard them with ceaseless scenarios all with what if this what if that. In times like this you must band together with who ever you have be it a friend a pet or someone to chat over the internet.
that aside i cant say i have actually contemplated suicide although i have tempted fate and not cared if my actions got me killed, culminating in me diving in front of a little kid about to get run over, kinda of lucky as it gavve a wake up call that i wasnt ready to go quietly in the night im here to stay and screw anyone or anything that thinks otherwise. Sometimes though for some people, the cross is too much to bare......
You only realise how much you miss someone when their gone.

My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Hawk101

• Warning: Messed-up childhood in progress
« Reply #29 on: December 1, 2003, 05:16:48 PM »
personally as an eighth grader ive had 2 close friends attempt and i had to talk them out of it.  My theroy is lifes not always what we expected but we can always hope to better it
« Last Edit: December 1, 2003, 05:26:59 PM by hawk101 »
"There is nothing to fear except fear itself"
The last address of Commander Rasbora, before the final Tyranid assualt that destroyed the last human-held fort on Brochius III.  Judged beyond reprieve, it was virus-bombed four months later.

Biel-tan WLT record

W:7 L:0 T:1

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #30 on: December 1, 2003, 05:27:15 PM »
I think suicide is wrong. Sure, I have drangled my legs from an upstairs window, only once tho. I can honestly say it is something I would never do. In some repects it might be cowardly, in some respects it might be the braver thing to do. Whatever the case, I wish people didn't do it, and I don't think it is the best idea.

I was under the impression that it did not bode well with the Almighty.

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #31 on: December 1, 2003, 06:36:41 PM »
the razors, not very as it's far harder to do that the movies would say.

The cocktails very close, people found them. I was one of said people.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Quentith

• What else would you expect?
« Reply #32 on: December 1, 2003, 06:53:53 PM »
i think its a horrible shame. I would rather live a crap filled life than no life at all, but as its been said, its hard to compare to that when you've never lived that low for a long time.
The real reason to collect Dark Eldar - if they fall on the floor the sharp bits hurt when your opponent steps on them

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #33 on: December 1, 2003, 10:07:58 PM »
I guess I agree with each of you to some extent, but I also disagree with all of you to some extent. For the most part, I'm just confused. Kind of like this life, I guess... anyway, here's some of my thoughts (read: he's rambling again...).

First, existence. As far as I know, none of us can remember the moment we came into existence. Does that mean we didn't exist then? Or were we simply not conscious? And what about past lives? Do past lives mean future lives? We see laws of consevation in the world around us; (blank) cannot be created or destroyed, only converted. Does this apply to our existence as people? Many of us think so, that there is something "after". Is there anything to it, or is it just a delusion based on the other laws of our universe; indeed, of our existence.

And to voluntarily end this existence, at least in its current form, depending on who you believe. It seems unnatural, doesn't it? And what makes us think that? Were we taught it? Or is it our inborn instincts? If it is our instincts, then it has been bred into us through the evolutionary purpose: to survive and to procreate. Is that why we feel pity for others who die? It would certainly make sense. And if that is true, how much more perverse suicide would seem! To die is a sadness, but to take one's own life--why, our instincts would tell us, why, how monstrous! How horrifying! And how many other things seem unnatural; more often than not, we reduce them to loathing and ridicule.

Is there something higher than our instincts, or is self-awareness simply a pretty cover for our base instincts?

And which is worse, suicide, or the circumstances that lead up to it? Again, instinct comes into play: to live is perhaps our stongest urge. What may happen in our lives that could possibly defeat millions of years of evolution? Indeed, it is this instinct that has kept me far from seriously considering suicide, at least thus far in my life. But as strong as the human mind is, it can be broken, and I know mine is no exception. Therefore, I worry that someday an event or change shall carry me over the precipice.

And what comes after? Oblivion? If so, we won't be around to care. If not oblivion, then there is existence. With time, this life will fade, as all memories do. Or perhaps we will not remember at all. And then this life will become a meaningless glimmer in the past. But, some say, those who take their own lives are doomed to a tormented existence in Hell, or whatever one chooses to call it. Again... is this belief a mere manifestation of our instincts, or is there more to it than that? Can a moment's crime bring an eternity's sentence? Is that fair? Does it have to be fair?

What can bring one to suicide? As some of you have said, it may be the people around us. I'll expand on that. Each and every one of us is born with a flaw--and I call it a flaw--we cannot feel what our fellow person feels. We are, for the most part, limited to our own feelings, our own emotions. Sometimes the feelings of others rub off on us, and sometimes ours on others, but each of us is dominated by the self. Maybe it's for the better. Maybe if we felt what others felt, our heads would explode or something. I don't know. But this is why we are so self-absorbed, and it is the cause of the greater portion of sorrow in this world, if not all of it.

A good dose of empathy would do us all a world of good. Unfortunately, empathy is difficult to get. Many of us have too little of it. For some of us, I guess too many of us.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe I've been staring at this glowing computer screen too long.

(takes off glasses, rubs eyes, puts glasses back on)

40K probably isn't the best place to go for lessons on morality, but there is that one quote by that one Eldar dude... lemme find it:

"The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin on their own turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."

-Uthan the Perverse

Now, look at that. Someone had to go and label him "the Perverse". But in many ways this Eldar is right. I, and you, I would imagine, go through life seeking the answers of existence. Maybe some of us find it. Maybe some of us think we find it, or we never think to look at all. Is there a difference? And does anybody really find it, think they found it, or not think to look at all? Or are we all just slaves to instinct? Is it futile to look for answers?

Me? Well, I've been looking all my life (which hasn't been very long, yet). Once I thought I found it, or at least part of it, and sure enough, it was thouroughly dismantled. Nowadays, I still look for it, and unless I suffer an extreme bout of amnesia (likely caused by impact from a massive blunt object when I'm not looking), I'll keep looking. I don't think I've found it, and it doesn't look like I ever will.

But it's too late to turn back now, eh?
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Cegorach

• Still A Spamming Mon-keigh
  • Life is for the weak
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #34 on: December 2, 2003, 02:23:14 AM »
maybe this life is really the afterlife

maybe there's something compleately different that is really life and in between that life we come here as our punishments for whatever

last night I was thinking how I want to go back and change this and that, what I wouldn't give to have a second chance but then it occured to me what if this is my second chance what if I made that wish went back in time and am currently reliving my life

what if I'm just taking this possible second chance and wasting it

who knows

maybe this is just one persons life and we're all drones

what if this is all my dream and I'm the only real one and you're all just fake but then you just get to say I know I'm not fake but how can I beleive that and how can you beleive me

the concept this is all one person's dream is kinda hard to actually say it's true because people will arguee and it causes fights and people not beleiving others

so we can't actually say that one as a valid one beut we all know most of us are thinking tha it's really just us and everyoneone else is fake

maybe the cathlics are right maybe I'm going to hell maybe the people who beleive there is nothing are right and there will be nothing maybe ___ are right maybe __ are right maybe evern ___ is right.........

who really knows who is right we never will really know until we die

a year or so ago I thought up this concept that maybe everyone was right and what you truely beleive will happen is what happens then I thought about the people that think there is nothing after this and I just thought to myself wow I feel bad for them if that's true then they have absolutely nothing to look forward to what-so-ever

who knows what's true but ya know what we really need to live this life to the fullest because it's all we know

if you wanna go for suicide and just get the wait over with and find out what happens then do it I know I've thought about killing myself many many times and atempted to atempt to do it but sadly for all of you I haven't been able to  *atempts to make a joke yet fails compleately*

eh well that's all I have to say for now
"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them."- David Berkowitz   A.K.A. 'Son of Sam'

Offline Valkor

• Might is Right
« Reply #35 on: December 2, 2003, 02:39:55 AM »
Hmm... suicide is a tough topic, and I beleive in the end it comes down to the person. Some make it through, some don't. I won't be high and mighty and say anything can be complete, however, I will say that determinism is a bunch of bullamphetamine parrot and that free will governs your existence.

Madame Bovary -> Determinism
The Plague -> Free Will

It is the individual struggle of every person that makes up society, and it is my earnest and naive beleif that only the strong claw through it to the top, those that rise to power without this clawing are doomed to failure, as the struggle makes the man. 

Offline n'jira

« Reply #36 on: December 2, 2003, 05:07:38 AM »
most suicides aren't well thought over things(like euthanesia but illegal). 95% is like hey my life sucks ass(for private reasons), and kill themselves.
I've seriously thought about it multiple times I know of multiple way's to die painless. but I'll probably never do such a thing.
How bad can live get anyways. probably just have to start living it differently. that 5% that actually thinks about what they're doing aren't cowards. the other 95% is.

Offline Faithruir

• I'm suposed to say the Avatar isn't my own work.
« Reply #37 on: December 2, 2003, 05:19:34 AM »
There is nothing cowardly about suicide, nothing to be ashamed of.

We've all contemplated it, but we have to remind ourselves that no matter what, our lives are all we have, and whatever they may be, we can strive to better them, become more than we are - we can help others not to feel as we have feel, not to do what we have all surely thought of doing.

Life is worth living, no matter the cost.

Like Harry Potter? Like writing? Why not check out http://entrhogwarts.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?

Offline Mort

« Reply #38 on: December 2, 2003, 08:13:23 AM »
Did you possibly start this thread because you have considered suicide?

No not specifically, My sister recently comitted suicide and m just trying to understand why she would do it I guess.
“and so by his divine wisdom the god emperor brought unto the light of the universe his most terrible weapon. he molded them from the steel of the mind and the fires of the warp. he gave them the tools of destruction and bid them to bring his swift vengeance.”

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #39 on: December 2, 2003, 09:11:05 AM »
For your loss we all grieve.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.