News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Helping a noob...  (Read 1473 times)

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
  • BOOOOOOOOM...."yes, that red button..."
Helping a noob...
« on: December 28, 2005, 04:24:12 AM »
Hi, my friend has just got his first firewarriors, and doesnt know what to get next. He came to me caus ive been playing for a while, but i play Dark Eldar or Space Wolves, and have no experience whatsoever with Tau. Can someone please give me some suggestions, as well as some basic tactics to use with them. This would be very much apreciated, thankyou. For the moment iv suggested that he get some more firewarriors first.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

If ther's something you can deffinetely rely on it's gotta be- oh, theres not

Offline Zyfiel

Re: Helping a noob...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 04:41:26 AM »
Fish of Fury

A good tactic is the Fish of Fury.  This reffers directly to the Devilfish APC which can be attached to a squad for eighty points.  Loading up a squad, shipping them to just within 12" of the enemy, putting the APC's broadside towards the enemy (effectively blocking assaults until the enemy goes around the APC), and rapid firing with the Tau's Pulse Rifle.

This is a great way to protect the Tau from CC while still allowing for a massive base of fire.  When the enemy gets within assault range (or rather, just outside of it) load up and relocate.  Because the APC is a skimmer, it does not block LOS, but enemy units can't come within 1" without assaulting it, so it acts as a very nice barrier.  Watch for Anti-Tank weaponry, though, as it can either destroy the APC leaving the Firewarriors stranded, or worse, cause it to explode and injure or pin the firewarriors.

For each one you wish to deploy, place it two inches from the last (remember, enemies can't come within 1", so the 2" gap is still covered).

This is a very basic description of this strat.  There are undoubtedly hundreds of modifications to it, but I have yet to put it into use (I play Tau, read Tau tactics ['till the early morning], but have yet to enter a game).

[edit]
This is probably exactly what you need.  It has a better description of the FoF and other strategies.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 04:46:33 AM by Zyfiel »
"Burn the witch.  Burn the heretic.  Burn the traitor.  Burn their memory, and then burn the burning.  For the Emperor!"

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 05:44:31 AM »
The starter box provides almost everything
HQ suit
Elite suits
Troops Kroot and Fire Warriors
Fast Attack Gun Drones

after that get at least one Devilfish and at least one hammerhead

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 06:24:03 AM »
HQ suit? Is it O'Shovah or something? Right now (aside from him) the way GW reccomends distinguishing your HQ suit is to give it a different paint job. It's contrary to the HQ of pretty much every other army aside from maybe SMurfs, but that's why we are getting a revision.
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 06:53:12 AM »
dude you get 3 xv8's in tjhe box, you can make one a Shas'o (HQ) and teh other 2 Elites..

I gave my leader yellow markings on the head, shoulders, legs and jet pack exhaust behind the head.. my other suits are either black and white or smae as leader but in red or blue (didn't do the blue yet), maybe orange for Xv88's :)

Offline lord_guru32

• Life is but a gateway to eternity
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 10:46:37 AM »
read the stickies in this forum, they help
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with countless aeons even death may die"

Ninja Kirby (>'')>* * * *

Offline BLAH!

• Add me to you IM lists to talk 40k!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 11:00:48 AM »
I would recommend the battle set.
*shifty eyes*

I have mod powers on www.warhammer40k.co m...

*end shifty eyes*

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Offline ::ËternaĺŇovice::

• A Hippies Version of Exterminatus
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »
Fish of Fury
Why would he need this...he only has one Fire Warrior squad and no Devilfishs. He can't even play yet without another Troop choice and a HQ choice...Leave this for later, for now, grab the Battle Set. If he doesn't like Kroot, he could just trade someone for other stuff...

I started playing Tau three years ago, and now I'm dating a supermodel. Coincidence? I think not.

Current Projects: Slow Process of Ordering Warmachine Models. 0% Done.

I'm the Self Proclaimed Greatest Noob on 40konline!

Offline Spinkycleft

• I *LOVE* Tau!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 01:02:20 PM »
I strongly suggest the Battleforce.  I started out with a single FW squad too, and I got the Battleforce and have a fairly strong army ever since.  The Battleforce has a lot and doesn't cost that much considering other force's kits.  It lets you experiment around with all the important, differing forces of Tau, except the Hammerhead and Broadsides.  After the Battleforce is bought, a heavy support option would be good to get.
My Tau army currently consists of:
- 2 Hammerheads (Assembled)
- 2 Devilfish (Assembled)
- 6 Crisis Suits (Assembled)
- 13 Firewarriors (Assembled&Painted)
- 39 Firewarriors (Assembled)
- 24 Kroot (Unassembled)
- 32 Drones (Assembled)
- 3 FW Broadsides (Ordered)
So little time to paint...

Battle history:
Wins:    2
Losses: 3
Ties:     1
Most games against evil necrons.

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 01:04:26 PM »
When I started,I didn't and never did use the Kroot that came in the battleforce,but that would be because I spent several months reading tacticas on this forum and already decided on Mech Tau before I even committed the funds to starting 40k.But still,the battleforce is pretty good.I'd recommend that first,followed by a Fire Warrior box for another squad of them.After that you could prolly start working on the Heavy Support(Hammerhead 1st,IMO)
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 07:03:38 PM »
Once you get the battleforce steath suits would be a good buy.  I would buy them before i got any devilfishes.

Offline BLAH!

• Add me to you IM lists to talk 40k!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »
I don't know, I think they would play better than fishies as well. Less tactic involved.
*shifty eyes*

I have mod powers on www.warhammer40k.co m...

*end shifty eyes*

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Offline LoneDragon

• There is no spoon.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 03:53:25 AM »
Once you get the battleforce steath suits would be a good buy.  I would buy them before i got any devilfishes.

Hammerhead first, then Stealthsuits. ;)

~Yub yub, Commander!
She better have an antidote for face-stabbin'! 'Cause oooh, her face is SO stabbed when we get back!

They're not kids. They're midgets! Filthy drug-peddling midgets!

Peter: Oh my god, Brian! Theres a message in my alpha-bits! It says:"oooooo"
Brian: Peter, those are cheerios.

When are the pancakes coming in the mail?

Just say NO to burst cannons on Crisis suits!

Offline tau-gamer400

• For the greater good!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 05:49:05 AM »
he should get another fire warrior unit first, and then follow up by a hq choice, this gives him flexability and allows him to find out what he wants later on, and dont forget,

broadsides own!

Tau: Games:12
        Wins:12
         Losses:0
          Draws:0