News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: LARP anyone  (Read 1120 times)

Offline M.G.SMurf

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I don't exaggerate, I just like to post things big
  • Armies: Raven Guard
LARP anyone
« on: September 25, 2003, 03:07:33 PM »
Hi nerds and all that pass for that or wouldn't like to pass for that, but do anyway,

I'm intrested if any of you play LARP or an equivelent of that. I've just picked up the hobby, and now I'd like to know how many other people are nuts enough to do it. I'm going to an event tomorrow, so I'll be suprised when I get back. Please reply if you have guts  ;).

Greetz,
M.G.SMurf
Order beats chaos, but without chaos, order would not exist.
The world is changing
Strike hard and fast, and then the enemy can't hurt you
The story of my chaplain

Offline Silverthorn

• Ancient
  • Destroying the enemy with a smile!
Re:LARP anyone
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 03:44:43 PM »
I am totally into LARPing. I do medieval fantasy LARping.

I have 5-6 games per year, starting in may until september, once per month.

Our game has between 50-80 players and 15-25 NPCs.

I have been LARPing for the last 8 years or so. I prefer fantasy LARPs, not stuff like SCA where people are obsessed with realism. I play for the roleplay and the thrill, not for historical value.

I have my own steel chainmail and 2 coif that I made, a dozen weapons or so (buffer weapons with duct tape) and many many costumes/shirts/cloaks that I made myself. Also have a shirt and skirt made of leather, kind of like a patchwork. Add to this bracers, leggings and other pieces of leather armor that I also made and I am ready for any kind of character ;)

LARPing is the only thing that I prefer above WH40K in my hobbies.

Right now I play a necromancer/demonist as a character. A nice guy, really!
There's no Right or Wrong
There's only Fun and Boring

--My EldarOnline articles:
Starting an Eldar army: http://www.eldaronline.com/editorials/editorials_startingup.shtml
Seer Council Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_ulthwe.shtml
Guardians Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_defenderguardians.shtml

--To view the full picture of my avatar, click this link: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/e/meilleur/eldebaran.gif.html

Offline M.G.SMurf

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 03:58:27 PM »
Cool, that's one and faster than I expected. I've just made my first character. I use a battle staff, wear a red tunic, a two collored-cloak (black and green) and some boots that rip the hairs off my legs when I put them on or remove them. There's a 60% of rain, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You don't happen to go to the event in holland I'm going to, tommorow, now are you  ;)? Didn't think so. If you happen to... by any chance (or any other event in Holland), tell me and I might run into you IC.

Greetz,
M.G.SMurf

P.S. I don't know if you WANT to run into me, IC, because you might miss some stuff, allthough arguing with a necromancer isn't a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 04:00:31 PM by mean green space marine »
The world is changing
The story of my chaplain

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 05:51:36 PM »
well, i fence (tourny coming up, yippee)

i guess... i could fence with a funny hat on
n' call folks "knaves"

personally... LARPing sounds odd to me, i'd prefer to just sit down n' roll dice

or just fight for fun
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Silverthorn

• Ancient
  • Destroying the enemy with a smile!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 10:18:14 PM »
personally... LARPing sounds odd to me, i'd prefer to just sit down n' roll dice

or just fight for fun

Rolling dices is never as thrilling as fleeing from a mob of skeletons and zombies in a dark wood at 3 am...running without seeing a thing :)

Or setting up an ambush to catch some major NPC.

Or fighting a bunch of orks and always being on your guard because more might be coming out of the woods...or other players might decide to team up with the enemies.

The thrill of actually fighting, running, walking, talking and such is much greater then table top roleplaying.
There's no Right or Wrong
There's only Fun and Boring

--My EldarOnline articles:
Starting an Eldar army: http://www.eldaronline.com/editorials/editorials_startingup.shtml
Seer Council Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_ulthwe.shtml
Guardians Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_defenderguardians.shtml

--To view the full picture of my avatar, click this link: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/e/meilleur/eldebaran.gif.html

Offline Athenys Manan

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Live from the Eye of Terror
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 11:27:08 PM »
Here's a song about people who are a little too much into LARPing  ::):

http://www.marksilverman.com/music/cd/medieval%20people.mp3

;) :D ;D

Offline Pharadot

• Chaos, is true innocence...
    • Prince Pharadot's castle of fun-fun chaos!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 01:31:08 AM »
I've done a little LARPing, but no costumes or anything. It might be fun to do some Guilty Gear based stuff once I finish my Bridget costume though.
Now, be proud that you blossom
In a beautiful flower garden!
Oh, evil, shine,
Enough to make everything burn!
We are proud
and Charming evil flowers!
~Marjoly-Tachi

New banner in the works... really. ^_^

Offline M.G.SMurf

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 02:20:31 AM »

i guess... i could fence with a funny hat on
n' call folks "knaves"

or just fight for fun
I play AD&D and I play LARP. The two are fun in a tottaly different matter. They share the fun of roleplaying, but with AD&D you can actually do the stuff you have to imagine with LARP, the world is broader and there can be as much NPCs as you want.
The points stated bij Silverthorn are true, and that makes LARP fun as well. It are both RPGs, but further comparison shows nothing.

So far we got one die hard LARPer, somebody with a little LARPing experience and me, a LARPer that hasn't been to any convention yet.

Greetz,
M.G.SMurf
The world is changing
The story of my chaplain

Offline Archon Kazzaroth

• Play dirty, play like dark eldar.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 02:30:35 AM »
Well, I am "part time" LARPer. I have been so far in one game, but I am have being in active larper group for a three years and little more.

I have only so far latex bastard sword and bastard boffer sword, so I am more into the figthing than actual act larp. I also have furry cloak, wich I made myself ;D.
Game rating whit my DE=
Win    Draw    Loss
  8         2           3

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 05:17:44 AM »
I have been LARPing since the early nineties, and right now I am organizing a Vampire-The Masquerade LARP in my city. If you know enough Swedish or happen to have good online-translator, you can read about the chronicle here.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Osar Siris

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 10:53:29 PM »
I'd love to have a vampire larp! I have a group (recently re-established) that plays but I've always thought that it would be great to larp vampire. While on the note of things I wish lol, I wish that I could find someone besides be that was both willing and able to run the game. The last time I played was in a group that fell apart because no one really enjoyed the way the GM ran it, we all felt it resembled D&D which none of us really wanted to play. So as a result I now run games and never get to throw in with a character of my own. Ah my tail of sorrow.
Past that now, I'm curious to know what clans are most widely played other places than here. If any one would like to share I'd be happy to hear it.
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect, so I must be perfect.

Offline Zphindar

• All hail the D-Cannons!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 01:39:22 PM »
I am part of the council of a RPG club of more than 100 members (about 50-60+ non-members attend our events as well). We organise LARPS and have been doing so for now 6-7 years I think.

We do medieval fantasy throughout the summer (5-6 games) with one event being a military tactics that we call a campaign. The LARPS last 3 days, the campaign one day. Our games usually have between 50 to 110 players (depends which one, the first one of the year is extremely popular) and between 15 to 25 NPCs.

Personnally I have ton of costumes. Musketeer, Legionnaire, Drow, Elf, Ranger... A lot. Having a wife that can sow is a great advantage. Larping is in truth my first passion, I love it. I much prefer the fantasy setting too. I also fence and took medieval swordfighting lessons. The fencing helped a lot more than the medieval swordfighting though.

We're based in Quebec/Canada in the Outaouais (Gatineau) here's the link if anyone speaks french and is curious, we have a lot of pictures as well:
www.ajjro.com

There is also in Trois-Riviere (Canada)  an annual 5 days event that gathers around 2000+ players each year. Haven't been yet but planning to go soon.
www.bicolline.com

I'm curious what set of rules do you guys use for Larping, especially for fantasy? We have our own homegrown rules that we've been improving every year. It on the website in "activity" under "Grandeur Nature"(LARP in french)
You can't scare me, I have Children!

Offline Zphindar

• All hail the D-Cannons!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 01:54:06 PM »
Here's a picture of Bicolline. This is a convoi, this column is going to get ambushed later on. Look at the amount of people in this simple convoy! You see the cart to the left? well thats the middle there's as many people in the back of it, plus probably a lot more scouting and circling the convoy looking for ambush. Now do X2 for the attackers.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 01:55:45 PM by Zphindar »
You can't scare me, I have Children!

Offline Lanorel

• My jetpack is custard powered
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 02:47:05 PM »
By the bloody hand of Khaine! :o
...That's a lot of nerds! ;)

Seriously though, I'd like to see that IRL... (Not that I've ever larped or anything)

Offline M.G.SMurf

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 04:32:54 PM »
The nerds are everywhere. Fear them, because they know how to handle a sword and you don't.
Looks can be magnificent. This for instance:

You try charging that! Demorilizing by just the looks at it. The event I went to was over 200 PC's, and over 50 NPC's. Houses clashed, and we stirred things up a bit. We went 'shopping' a lot.

Greetz,
M.G.SMurf
The world is changing
The story of my chaplain

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 03:45:05 AM »
I have charged formations like that. Oh how glorious magic is!

Offline The Quoteer

• D4 1337 GR33N NINJ4!!½½
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 06:28:39 AM »
I've done some LRPing, first as a mad halfelf, an outcast. Then as a High Elf, not your typical High fantasy or warhammer high elf, think an cultured, educted, racist bastard.  :)

And know we are planning an small group of mercs, based on 1250-1300. When we say based we mean cut-and-copy.  ;D Historical Correct! I'm gonna be the "captain" with none capability to inspire the troops.

BTW what do you mean with NPC? In larp? *wtf-emoticon*
Sorry for any spelling mistake.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2003, 06:41:04 AM »
an NPS (Non-player character) is a story-device often played by an organiser or narrator to provide information to the players, then be gone.

Offline marzipan

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2003, 06:52:56 AM »
I have been LARPing since 1996. Currently I play mainly NPC roles but I also have three PC characters: a useless soldier, an elusive ranger and a more-than-good cleric.

I might be at Dragonfest 2004 (big European LARP event). In 2002 there were about 3000 players.
Have a look at some pictures.
Knowledge brings fear.

Offline Secret

• The final act of SecretC
Re: LARP anyone
« Reply #19 on: November 8, 2003, 10:54:39 AM »
I've been to an event with over 5000 people participating. That was crazy indeed.

What weapons do you guys use I prefer 2 short swords or a club and sword. I also like to use a crossbow now and again for kicks..

A small portion of the battle I got badly wounded on the pikes :D
« Last Edit: November 8, 2003, 10:58:04 AM by Secret »
Please send me money or pixies will steal your socks.....