News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: (Jet another) Question about Hormagaunts  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Zombie_dla

(Jet another) Question about Hormagaunts
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:10 AM »
Well, I guess this question about upgrading hormagaunts have been ansered more than enough and I guess it's best to not upgrade them. Although, when I first got my hormagaunts (about the same time the 3rd ed. codex came out) I started putting all of the cool stuff on 'em :P So now I have hormagaunts with toxin sacs and adrenal glands (+I). So, before I start tearing my hormagaunts apart, is there any use for these kind of hormagaunts? If you, for example, hid them behind lots of termagaunts to get them close to the enemy and then leap forward assaulting them (can you leap over your own units?). I think I know what your answers will be (vanila and cheap) but I thought I just asked if someone have anything to say about this first :)

Offline mrtspence; Formerly Overkill1

• To kill, or not to kill, that is the question...
Re: (Jet another) Question about Hormagaunts
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:50:51 AM »
i could see someone using them as a kind of elite assault squad, just make sure you screen them and be sure make optimal use of cover. Adrenal glands (for I) aren't such a bad thing though, as if you killl enough of the enemy in your turn they won't be able to hurt you as badly when they counter attack.
-"Damn Those Laser Cats..."

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:17:30 AM »
dont rip them up, they are still good

you do not have to min-max every list to the balls.
Use them for fun!

Offline Zombie_dla

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:17:30 AM »
i could see someone using them as a kind of elite assault squad, just make sure you screen them and be sure make optimal use of cover. Adrenal glands (for I) aren't such a bad thing though, as if you killl enough of the enemy in your turn they won't be able to hurt you as badly when they counter attack.

So you mean I could have one or two units with adrenal glands and possible toxin sacs and screen them with cheap untis (like termagaunts). But would it be worth it to take such a unit instead of larger brood od cheap hormagaunts? And for the adrenal glands (+I), is it worth it to upgrade all of your hormagaunts with it? I'll be using quite a lot of gaunts in my army (horma and terma) with many warriors to keep them under control, possible som genestealers and sniperfex/zoans for heavy support.

dont rip them up, they are still good

you do not have to min-max every list to the balls.
Use them for fun!

Yeah, thanks :) I'll be sure to try them out a couple of times before i'll make up my mind.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:19:27 AM by Zombie_dla »

Offline objectionator

• High five!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »
If you want the hormies to assault past the screening termagaunts, make sure to leave enough space between the termagaunt bases for a hormagaunt base to fit through the gap.  This is the only way your units can move through each other (barring jump infantry).

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:44:56 AM »
i always thought that the +1I was one of the more useful upgrades.

the truth is that hormies arent teh most "sustainable" of units - thanks to their low saves, so beign able to strike BEFORE your opponent allows you to get those all the more important attacks in before you start losing guys from the combat (and, of course, their attacks).

I5 is incredibly useful imo - you strike before "most" things - ie: marines, and will be striking at the same time as other "fast" units such as most eldar / dark eldar.

Offline Da Pittman

• You Are Biomass
    • Electric Cog Design
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 11:52:16 AM »
For me they are not much more than cannon fodder, I use them to protect my more important troops and if they get some kills the more the better.  I normally take them as basic and arm them with Flesh Borers.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »
hormagaunts with fleshborers?

i'll assume you meant termagaunts... and im trying to arm all of my termies with spinefists... but i cant seem to scavenge enough of them!!!

Offline Zombie_dla

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 01:40:49 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll ditch the toxin sacs (even though I like that they bring a little more colour to my hormas ;) ) and keep the adrenal glands (+I) to make them as cost effective as possible and still strike before most units.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 06:15:00 PM by Zombie_dla »

Offline Windowlicker

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 02:09:28 PM »
could always stick them behind a squad of cheap gaunts,
using the cheap as cover?
then you wouldnt have to go as slowly as termas?
just an idea?

Offline Da Pittman

• You Are Biomass
    • Electric Cog Design
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »
hormagaunts with fleshborers?

i'll assume you meant termagaunts... and im trying to arm all of my termies with spinefists... but i cant seem to scavenge enough of them!!!
My bad, yes I meant gaunts.  I really don't use Horms unless I want to tie up a unit.

Offline overmind2000

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 05:33:45 AM »
As a point if your going for tournaments then yes - the models have to clearly represent what they are equiped with and nothing else - however if your just mostly playing friendlies with friends/at a local club then chances are that you can say they are basic toops with no upgrades provided that this is true for all of you hormagaunts - or they are in a different colour - so that your opponent knows what is what.

Offline Zombie_dla

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 05:50:28 AM »
As a point if your going for tournaments then yes - the models have to clearly represent what they are equiped with and nothing else - however if your just mostly playing friendlies with friends/at a local club then chances are that you can say they are basic toops with no upgrades provided that this is true for all of you hormagaunts - or they are in a different colour - so that your opponent knows what is what.

Yeah, I intend to always play WYSIWYG, with friends or not
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 06:39:37 AM by Zombie_dla »

Offline overmind2000

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 05:54:11 AM »
In that case I would certainly play several battles without WYSIWYG just to make sure your army is just right - unless of course your loaded with cash  :D.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 06:08:44 AM »
just to confuse matters - tourneys nowadays tend to have some leeway thanks to the "counts as" rule.

whilst you may think this is seemingly contradictory to teh "WYSIWYG" rule it is not.

the idea is that, although you models have a particular element added to them, such as adrenal / toxin sacs, this does not have to represent adrenal / toxin sacs. BUT AS LONG AS all of your models with said "wargear" in your army count this as the same thing.

so, for instance, i "could" say that my models that i have added flesh hooks onto actually count them as having toxin sacs... but then ANY and ALL models to which i have added those hooks MUST count them as toxin sacs.

;)

Offline Da Pittman

• You Are Biomass
    • Electric Cog Design
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 08:43:15 AM »
Man I would be screwed in a tournament if all my bugs had to have what they were equipped with, I like the look more than making everyone have what they are supposed to have.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 08:50:13 AM »
just because you added extra things to your models doesnt mean you have to use those extra things. for my SM or IG for example, i usually add a ton of extra things onto my vehicles that way if i want to use a different setup or have to squeeze points i have options available. its easier to change a list than a model.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Bug Collector

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 08:57:23 AM »
I run my hormaguants with +1 I and leave it at that, but I do believe flesh hooks could be very useful as I often find my hormaguants charging units that have infiltrated on the first turn, before they even have a chance to move. If your finding that your hormaguants usually get the charge on first turn (ie; your playing a lot of armies that have infiltration or for some odd reason like to be closer to your troops) than taking strength upgrades and the like could be useful as they'll probably have the chance to do a lot of damage with a low possibility of being blown to bits. The one thing I keep in mind is that a Genestealer is 16 points, once my gaunts start approaching that I have to think hard about whether the upgrades will be worth it.

Offline overmind2000

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »
As a point remember that flesh hooks also allow your gaunts to climb over walls, great in any built up senario when you can assualt goups of units hiding behind walls.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »
If you want the hormies to assault past the screening termagaunts, make sure to leave enough space between the termagaunt bases for a hormagaunt base to fit through the gap.  This is the only way your units can move through each other (barring jump infantry).

What's the page number for that rule in the BGB?
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*