News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pts Talons of the Emperor vs Death Guard  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1500pts Talons of the Emperor vs Death Guard
« on: September 10, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
My buddy Jason and I played a 1500pt game, him playing his new Death Guard (before the new codex) and me playing my Talons of the Emperor.

He had

Daemon Prince of Nurgle
Typhus
Noxius Blightbringer
7 plague marines in Rhino (With plasma guns)
Helbrute with lascannon and missile launcher
Tri-las Predator
two units of 20 plague zombies
Blight Drone
100 reinforcement points.

I had,

Inquisitor with needle pistol and force sword
Two Venerable Custodes contemptor dreads (one with assault cannon, one with multi-melta)
5 Witchseekers in a null maiden Rhino
Two units of 5 Custodes
Venerable Custodes Landraider

We played an open war mission. We had table quarter deployment, and the mission was Kingslayer. Kill point game, but kill points were based on units power rating (kill a 6PL unit, get 6pts), ending turn 5.

The twist, was Acid Rain, so charges and runs were at -1, and shooting was at -1. But, the rain could stop (or start again) at the beginning of each battle round.

The Death Guard had a lower PL army then mine, so they also got a secret ruse card!

I deployed aggressively, as my army wants to pile in and get close and personal. He deployed his zombies in front, and other elements hiding behind buildings, as I did have a bunch of lascannon shots.

Before the first turn, he revealed his Ambush! ruse card, and could re-deploy up to three units anywhere on the table more then 12" from my units and outside of my deployment zone. He deployed his plague marines rhino across from my meltagun contemptor, behind a building.

So, I knew typhus and his daemon prince would make mincemeat of my custodies. Also, his zombies were immune to morale, so I'd have to kill them the old fashioned way and they could really bog me down. I had very few high PL units, so he could very easily get a lot of points off me, especially as my army had a higher power level then his!

Turn 1

For the Emperor!

I decide, that getting rid of the zombies was priority #1. The Assault Cannon contemptor, Landraider and foot custodies squad move towards the far left mob of zombies, while multi-melta contemptor decides to ambush the ambushers.

Shooting goes really well. Combination of shooting kills half of the 20 mob of zombies, and the contemptor Dread's multi-melta takes 6 wounds off the rhino.

In the assault phase, both contemptor dreads make combat, one kills three more zombies, and the other smashes the rhino into pieces.

Death Guard then come to retaliate. The Daemon prince advances and then warptimes himself in range to buff the plague marines, while the Blight Drone and unengaded zombies advance towards my custodies.

Predator and Helbrute take pot shots into the Landraider, dropping 6 wounds off of it :(. The Plague Marines overcharge their plasmaguns into the Melta Contemptor, but it shrugs off most of the damage with it's inv. save. The plague marines then charge and the champion's powerfist takes another wound off the contemptor.

Turn 2

The rain stops.

Witchseekers disembark from the rhino to flame the fresh zombie mob. In shooting, the Landraider drops the predator to one wound (so close), while the witchseekers get 17 flamer hits on the plague zombies, but only end up killing 5. The custodies on foot fire a few shots into the zombies as well, but only drop 2.

In assault, the contemptors smash away at their opponents. Killing a bunch of plague marines, and plague zombies. Witchseekers charge the other plague zombie unit, killing one zombie, and loosing three sisters to the mob (replenishing three zombies to the unit).

Typhus summons a nurgle herald, which casts a power to heal all the wounds suffered on the blight drone. Blight drone and Helbrute drop a custode with their shooting, while the predator fails to harm the Landraider.

In assault, the Daemon Prince charges into the Melta Contemptor, and drop it to 2 wounds. The blight bringer also goes into the contemptor. The contemptor Dred takes three wounds off the noxious blightbringer with his stompy fist.

The plague zombies devour the last of the sisters of silence.

Turn 3

Custodian Guard disembark from the landraider, and then both squads charge the zombie hordes. One goes into the blight drone and larger mop, the other goes into the weakened mob the contemptor has been slowly chewing through.

The inquisitor gets out of the rhino, and smites the blightbringer to death.

In assault, the smaller mob of zombies is wiped out by the custodies, although only a few zombies are killed from the other mob and the blightdrone is unhurt.

In the other combat, the Meltagun contemptor, although wounded, kills the daemon prince (each attack doing 3 damage is really nice).

For the death guard, things are looking pretty grim. Typhus rolls into the melee, and with swings of his manreaper he slays three custodian guard. The blight drone however (with pretty good shooting), can't bring the last two wounds off the contemptor dread.

Turn 4

The rain returns.

The Landraider, finally wins it's duel with the predator, wrecking it with lascannon shots, while the assault cannon contemptor charges (and wrecks) the helbrute. Return attacks from the custodian guard drops the plague zombies to 5 models and takes down Typhus.

At this point, my opponent calls the game, as he has lost pretty much his whole force.

end of game.

I didn't really specify in the report, but I had some amazing rolls. At one point, I passed three 6+ ignore wound saves on the landraider and I was passing 5+ inv saves like crazy.

My units (besides the sisters), are all really solid units which can take a lot of punishment. splitting up my opponents army worked really well for me, as my superior units could fight one on one battles with his units, where mine will more often then not prevail. The contemptor dreads are especially threatening, as they routeanly can dish out 9-12 wounds each combat (hitting on 2's and at S14 will wound most things on a 2+ as well).

Overall, I'm very happy with how the army is working out (besides the sisters). looking to expand to 2000pts, by adding in a second landraider for additional fire support, and a second squad of sisters.

I'll probably be in more trouble in a week, when the Death Guard's new codex comes out!

Thanks for reading!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: 1500pts Talons of the Emperor vs Death Guard
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
Nice win! Glad to see the Custodes grab the win against this heretical filth. Really nice to see the army performing well in combat and shooting. I was particularly encouraged by the performance of the Contemptor as I have an identical load out on my own Contemptor for my DA.

Would have loved to see the Custodes all mob up on Typhus and bring him down just for fluff, but a great bat-rep all round.

My only suggestion would be to let us know how you felt the tide of battle was going at the end of each turn. Other than that I loved it. Great photos and nice concise blow-by-blow action.

Can't wait to see how the Custodes get on as the editon continues to unfold. Thanks KS and make sure you keep us posted!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
Nice report--thanks. Especially interesting to see how the Contemptors performed, given one of my opponents is thinking of acquiring a few. They don't look *that* great on paper, but I guess the price is right and the awesome WS/BS pays off.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »
Nice report--thanks. Especially interesting to see how the Contemptors performed, given one of my opponents is thinking of acquiring a few. They don't look *that* great on paper, but I guess the price is right and the awesome WS/BS pays off.

Sorry, I didn't see these posts

The Contemptors are pretty great, mostly due to the custodies ones having an armour, inv, and a feel no pain.

Their shooting is lack luster, but they are great at killing big things in melee. 3 damage attacks at S14 is really nice!

Nice win! Glad to see the Custodes grab the win against this heretical filth. Really nice to see the army performing well in combat and shooting. I was particularly encouraged by the performance of the Contemptor as I have an identical load out on my own Contemptor for my DA.

Would have loved to see the Custodes all mob up on Typhus and bring him down just for fluff, but a great bat-rep all round.

My only suggestion would be to let us know how you felt the tide of battle was going at the end of each turn. Other than that I loved it. Great photos and nice concise blow-by-blow action.

Can't wait to see how the Custodes get on as the editon continues to unfold. Thanks KS and make sure you keep us posted!

I will do take that advice into consideration! Hoping to expand the army to 2000pts (wont need a lot to do so).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:43:43 AM »
Nice win!
Also very interested to see how the Contemptors did as I am considering adding a couple of hell-forged ones into my Emperor's Children army.
Good to see that the Custodes did well too, one of the players at my local club hasn't had much luck with them sadly, he keeps just getting mobbed and although they can put out some hurt they don't seem to fare too well in a meatgrinder.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here