News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperial Guard  (Read 18573 times)

Offline Azgard

Imperial Guard
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
Not much to go on but this note is from a friend of mine who runs a Hobby store

hey all random note, I tried to order a Basilisk for Guard today and not only did it get moved out of general trade I was told it wont be back in stock for a little while which leads me to believe that we may be seeing a new guard codex soon

I personally think this would lean more towards a new basilisk model than a codex, but there you go.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
Re: Imperial Guard
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
The kits are still listed as being available on the GW web store.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
I hear that the IG are next in line for an update now that the 'Nids are out.  So I think it's proper to start the rumour mill here again.  If anyone does have some IG rumours I'd love to hear them!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
These are the most recent rumors I know of.

Expect a shakedown of the current IG go-to. Vendetta spam will go away, no more triple-special weapon Vets, etc. Add in a couple more tank variants (including a big one--Land Raider sized), reform command squads to incorporate Commissar Lords and/or Sanctioned Psykers, plastic Vets/Stormtroopers, new kits, etc..

Everything is really preliminary right now, though. Don't buy into any of it.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
There's some stuff there I'd definitely take with a pinch of salt.  Just as an example, what they say they're going to do to sentinels.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
The armored sentinel really hasn't been around that long. I don't see why they wouldn't remove it, honestly. It isn't exactly a lynchpin unit to many armies. Granted, they might not do it, but I don't think either possibility is any more likely than the other.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing vet squads and vendettas hit with the nerf bat a bit. I was/am pretty tired of that nonsense.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 04:47:05 AM »
I just don't see a reason to get rid of them.  I do however think that they don't belong in the FA section because they are just way too slow and compete with stronger units.  Even scout sentinels can at least outflank.

I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to an end to vet and vendetta spam too.  It's pretty much what every guard list boils down to and that gets tired and repetitive.  I hope they don't get rid of our flyer squadrons.  Big numbers of any vehicle should be a key aspect of the Guard.  I think just making them more expensive would do it just fine.

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 04:49:59 AM »
I'd be surprised to see the Armoured Sentinel go, its already in the kit true?

What GW seem to be doing more is removing models which are not represented in kit form, to me that makes the following on the possibly endangered list at present, excluding characters.

Vendetta
Griffin
Medusa
Colossus
Hydra

We know about the Basilisk being pulled from stockists, presumably for a new kit as has been rumoured - you could easily have the Medusa and Colossus from that. I cant see the Hydra being pulled now we have flyers, so a kit for that is logical, the Griffin is not such an easy one though IMHO - but it could be done.

The Vendetta is currently a FW conversion kit, to put it in the plastic set would require a sprue recut - I think we might actually see it vanish from the codex list if any of the existing units do.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:04:04 AM »
The good thing is, with the exception of the colossus, all of those kits and the characters do have models.  They're either FW kits or very old models that just haven't been sold in years.  That might be enough to save them from deletion.  The parasite and the doom never had models at any stage, which is why they've had to go I guess.  I need to know the details of that settlement.

I tried once to rewrite the vendetta rules so that it could be made straight from the existing kit.  It's possible GW might try the same.

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
  • Armies: space wolfs.  IG armored company
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:47 AM »
Im excited about a few new.tanks for.my armored company.  I would love rules to field it as a hole aagain

Addint tank destroyers maby rhey have been around for a while as a fw kit and listed in the armored comp.rules for a while so i can see them makeing it into a kit or a little add on to a russ kit.  Maby put it in a chimara/salamander/tankhunter kit would be cool too

Never trusted stormtroopers ..every time i get my old squad dug out they change it ...had stormtroopers with shotguns i couldnt use for a few years because they took them away.  Cant use them as vets because im not repainting sholders.

I do like my commissar bob modle for lord commissar

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »
The Vendetta is just a variant of the Valkyerie, which is in the Codex anyway, and in both cases there is a Forgeworld model.  Being owned by GW for years those rules aren't going anywhere.  The Basilisk kit is long overdue for an update like the Russ and the Chimera got, but the Falcon has remained essentially the same for almost twenty years so don't count on it.

Things that do not have models of any sort did get cut from Tyranids, that is likely to be a reliable trend in the next book.  Expect some kind of boost for Ogryns, they are an atrociously expensive set that recently got a makeover.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
The thing about the falcon is, it was such a sweet all plastic kit (with the visible crew and all weapon options) it doesn't really need to be changed.  To this day it remains one of GWs best looking vehicles and they really hit the ball out of the park when they made it.  And I say that and I'm not even an Eldar player!

As to the Basilisk, I reckon it will get the Russ/Chimera style makeover (or at least I hope it will), in that it will essentially look the same, but there will be little changes here and there.  And hopefully it'll contain all the parts to make all the ordinance battery options.  Which shouldn't be out of the question.  An earthshaker and a medusa are quite similar in appearance and could share parts.  For an example of what I mean, look at the battle and vanquisher cannons on the Russ kit.

And yes, please please give Ogyrns a boast.  They're one of my favorite units in the fluff but they just don't work atm.  Points reduction please.  Even if they have to moved from bulky to very bulky.  Also, if they came with the option to take other weapons besides ripper guns.  Like, Punisher Gatling Guns.  Because big gatling gun wielding brutes are always cool.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
Also, if they came with the option to take other weapons besides ripper guns.  Like, Punisher Gatling Guns.  Because big gatling gun wielding brutes are always cool.

I wholeheartedly support this idea. You have my vote, sir.

Now, if I can put on the Unpopular Hat for a second, I think we should see a near-elimination of BS 4 from the codex. Basically, I think it should be restricted to Commissars, Senior Officers, and Storm Troopers.

Give Veterans Preferred Enemy (everybody) and call it even. I always find it irking that packs of guardsmen are better plasma gunners than most Space Marine units. Now, do I think they'll do this? No I do not. I think the changes to Veterans will be more on the order of fewer special weapons per squad and perhaps a moderate price bump.

I am, however, very curious/excited to see what they do with Storm Troopers. One of my favorite units in the IG book, but currently too expensive to be a good buy except as a gimmick.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
I wholeheartedly support this idea. You have my vote, sir.

Thank you.  You know punisher Ogyrns make sense.  8)

Now, if I can put on the Unpopular Hat for a second, I think we should see a near-elimination of BS 4 from the codex. Basically, I think it should be restricted to Commissars, Senior Officers, and Storm Troopers.

Give Veterans Preferred Enemy (everybody) and call it even. I always find it irking that packs of guardsmen are better plasma gunners than most Space Marine units. Now, do I think they'll do this? No I do not. I think the changes to Veterans will be more on the order of fewer special weapons per squad and perhaps a moderate price bump.

Ratlings stay at that BS too?  But, you know what?  I actually somewhat agree with you.  I said in the forge that Junior Officers should have their WS and BS reduced and their I increased, so that they are only as good as a regular guardsman in a fight but have that sense of urgency a leader should have.  And I once suggested Vets should have a random skill table that included Preferred Enemy.

I am, however, very curious/excited to see what they do with Storm Troopers. One of my favorite units in the IG book, but currently too expensive to be a good buy except as a gimmick.

Once again I agree.  This actually pretty much applies to all the IG elites (except for Pyskers).  They need a good reworking to work.  Points reduction please.  And maybe if you could actually get more of them (because 5-10 humans, even elite well trained humans, get very little done.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »
What GW seem to be doing more is removing models which are not represented in kit form, to me that makes the following on the possibly endangered list at present, excluding characters.

Vendetta
Griffin
Medusa
Colossus
Hydra

All of those have FW kits and appear in IA1 (2nd Edition). Would irritate the heck out of me to have to go "mother may I" in my local group for the Griffons that I've been building (that and listen to some people go "FW CHEEESE" for these things that are identical to the 5e codex) and the Hydras I already have converted.

What would be nice with the Basilisk kit would having the enclosed crew compartment or camo netting on the sprue.

Current rumor mill for the Vendetta is that it will be an upgrade to the Valkyrie (plausible).

Once again I agree.  This actually pretty much applies to all the IG elites (except for Pyskers).  They need a good reworking to work.  Points reduction please.  And maybe if you could actually get more of them (because 5-10 humans, even elite well trained humans, get very little done.

Ratlings are the best buy for Sniper Rifles in the codex. I find the Psyker Battle Squad to be too brittle/expensive for the pie plate you get for it, IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:17:48 PM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: February 4, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »
Vendetta as an upgrade for the Valk sounds plausible.  The Valk wasn't changed at all in the Inquistion codex in stats, weapon load out or points.  Would the IG codex remain the same I wonder?

Quote from: LoH link=topic=225694.msg2737901#msg2737901 date
Ratlings are the best buy for Sniper Rifles in the codex. I find the Psyker Battle Squad to be too brittle/expensive for the pie plate you get for it, IMHO.

I pretty much agree!  Say what you want about the fluff of Ratlings, as an actual unit they work well (despite poor LD).  And what with enemy fire, perils of the warp and a trigger happy overseer battle pyskers never survive a game for me.

With such a quiet rumor mill I'm going to assume the IG will be a while yet, unfortunately.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: February 4, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »

With such a quiet rumor mill I'm going to assume the IG will be a while yet, unfortunately.

Not necessarily. GW has really stomped down on rumors lately, so very little leaks until only a month or so prior. Once we start getting reports about stores not restocking IG kits, then we'll know it'll be here in a couple weeks. My guess is March/April for the release, and we won't get any solid rumors until about a two weeks prior.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #17 on: February 5, 2014, 06:27:47 AM »
There are still rumours floating about for IG, but Wyddr is right, details will only be forthcoming a couple of weeks before the due date.

As this forum is so quiet, I tend to go to Faeit212 for my rumour fix. He tends to seperate the wheat from the chaff quite well, so you only read a few bits of guff each month that turn out to be wild speculation. Generally he posts solid leads.

From a rumour bundle posted per Faeit212 on 23 Jan 14:

Please remember that these are rumors. So with that said, a new IG codex is certain to be an April release, with Imperial Knights in March.

via Lion 275 on Warseer
IG will be in April. March will focus soley on the Imperial Knights. Followed by Wood Elves in May...

It sounds like Imperial Knights will be a Dataslate or a mini codex. I bet you see it in the WD then have it come out in Dataslate/mini dex. From what we were told it will not be in the IG codex and will be able to ally with various armies.

IG is getting a new name with their new codex a la SoB. According to 40K Radio's source, they'll be renamed to the Astra Militarum.

Yup a brand new name. The book is called Astra Militarum.
I am just going by what our source has told us. Could be a legal issue, could be they are incorporating more things into the Codex. Time will tell.

And I want to re-iterate Knight ARE NOT part of Astra Militarum (IG).

Please note, I edited the quote slightly to keep in line with later news/rumours that the IG are renamed The Astra Militarum (Not Astra Militarium as initially reported)
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: February 5, 2014, 08:07:46 AM »
Hornswaggle on the 'Astra Militarum' thing. I'll believe that when I see it and not before. No way they're going to rename one of their primary armies. SoB is one thing (sisters players were like white elephants, and the new name is one commonly used), but IG is all over the place, has a vast model range, and so on. There is simply no reason to rename it, especially to an obscure term few people will recognize.

If they *do* rename it, their marketing department ought to be fired.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2014, 09:47:58 AM by Wyddr »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #19 on: February 5, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »
If they *do* rename it, their marketing department ought to be fired.

I imagine if they do change the name, it will be for copyright purposes. There was no reason to change 'Boltgun Metal' to 'Leadbelcher' other than Leadbelcher is a name that GW can trademark...somethi ng that I'm guessing can't be done with Imperial Guard.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...