News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age Of Sigmar movie?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Age Of Sigmar movie?
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
First of all, if this is in the wrong place please move it mods.

Second of all, what’s everything’s thoughts on the idea?  Yay or nay?  And could it be an enjoyable smash hit like Star Wars, or would it be doomed to being an overblown cgi mess like Star Wars?  ;)

All I’m certain on is that the main character(s) should be Stormcast.  And the main antagonists should probably be chaos.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Age Of Sigmar movie?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
First of all, if this is in the wrong place please move it mods.

Second of all, what’s everything’s thoughts on the idea?  Yay or nay?  And could it be an enjoyable smash hit like Star Wars, or would it be doomed to being an overblown cgi mess like Star Wars?  ;)

All I’m certain on is that the main character(s) should be Stormcast.  And the main antagonists should probably be chaos.

I'd be happy to watch one. Quality, and how folks like it, would depend on how it's made. I think super hero movies is a good comparison. Adapted from source material, and could be good or bad depending on who writes it,who directs it, and who is in it. Hard to say besides that.

Game of Thrones is a very chunky fantasy series with lots of exposition and moving parts, and it's a huge success. the MCU has proven the similar with Sci-fi comic book movies. There is an audience for that sort of theme of stuff. Just depends if it's a Fantastic Four or an Iron Man based on script and director.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:05:59 AM »
There’s a thought, an AoS tv show...

But yeah, GoT and the MCU would be my go to inspiration for how to do it too.  I would keep it to a simple story to avoid convolution, stick to the source material, and since AoS is what it is, I’d have a little bit of fun with it too.  Probably shouldn’t take itself too seriously...but it could do when it needs to.  Just like the MCU.

Speaking of the MCU, it could easily have a shared universe.  Maybe a few individual movies focusing on heroes with their own stories who then meet up avengers style for, I don’t know, the silver tower?

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »
I'm a bit late to this one, but my thoughts on this is kind of the same as they've been on both Fantasy and 40k: there is no lack of stories to tell from these universes, but it's difficult to make these stories feel really impactful without warping the universes themselves a lot.

Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, etc. These were all universes that were built from a central narrative with key characters and outward, and as such they had the opportunity to completely change the universes they were in a profound and meaningful way. In the case of 40k and AoS you get the opposite, and the established setting can quickly become a bit of a straightjacket for any new ideas. Modern Star Wars spin-off stories suffer from this too.

For GW's properties, Age of Sigmar suffer most from this, perhaps, since its story is still so much in flux, that you haven't really got any stand-out figures to put into a show and root for. Original creations for the show are fine, of course, but it's likely you'll end up with a band of nobodies doing stuff that in the grand scheme of things just feels kinda pointless.

An example on how to utterly drop the ball on this is the Ultramarines movie of course, a movie about a bunch of nobodies no one cares about, on a mission no one cares about that displays absolutely nothing of the 40k universe's interesting features, with an outcome that had exactly zero impact on anything. That's fine for a throwaway licensed novel, but not for something as costly as a space opera movie.

On the other hand, GW have shown willingness to mess with the status quo lately, so perhaps Age of Sigmar is exactly the setting to get a tie-in TV show or movie, which could actually impact the fluff being written to some degree. That could be neat.

I'm not so sure about putting Space Marines and Stormcast in the main roles though. They are... not extremely relatable or interesting people. Perhaps one or two Stormcast characters, but not an entire squad of them all being serious and dutiful and dour and frankly kinda boring. Put some of them together with a rag-tag band of misfits under whatever is the AoS equivalent of an Inquisitor or Rogue Trader, and you've got yourself some interesting dynamics and story-seeds. Then trickle out just how incredibly badass and messed up the Stormcast are over some episodes, or later in the movie, when there's been some character development.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:31:32 PM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
If you want stakes and narrative, here's an idea that will never happen.

Make a new summer-long community event like the old Storm of Chaos global campaign, from when the internet was still young. Design it better this time, and use it as a way to get tons of physical player engagement at local GW stores to up their retail.

Then use the results of that (within a limited but significant fashion) as the basis for a script to a film.

You not only have a film with a significant narrative hook then, but you have a way to draw players into GW stores, a way to increase product awareness, and a way to get community engagement with moving the plot forwards rather than simply writing up a changing setting.

I mean, if you're going to write up a changing setting, why not let the community actually have a role in it anyways?

Keep it within reason obviously. No completely destroying the imperium in 40k or anything. But you can let significant changes happen without having to bend things that far or break them. The destruction of Cadia in the recent narrative progression is a fairly eventful situation, and it's nothing that couldn't have been implemented as a result of the old global 40k eye of terror campaign if GW had decided to roll with the results instead of just retconning it.

This aside, there are still difficulties getting an expensive movie made about an IP that is (relatively speaking, compared to say the Lord of the Rings or Star Wars) unknown. It's also hard getting newcomers to engage with that sort of universe on an epic scale in a 2-3 hour time limit. Warhammer in particular is very easy to comically/sadly  overdo... it's sort of designed that way. So it's a tough cookie.