News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Squats - 4th ed - Homemade list  (Read 18349 times)

Offline Bannedface666

• BANNED - Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | Archite
  • Artist for hire... Mostly banned :)
    • cubiclebattles
Re: Squats - 4th ed - Homemade list
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2006, 07:32:16 PM »
The Living Ancestor should be a power house. He is the Squat equivalent to a Avatar in a sense. He is supposed to be powerful. Not Deamon powerful, but powerful.

Something about the Living Ancestor bothers me a bit, but I can't quite put it. Maybe I am wrong, but maybe he should also be Initiative 2 like the rest of the army. I just don't see him, fluff wise, being fast at all. Powerful, yes, fast, nah. He should be striking last, but when he does strike, he kills anything in his way.

Maybe the Living Ancestor always strikes last in combat. I know the model comes with a Rod/Cane, but how about some Force Hammer which would add the +2 to strength?

And why can't he be more powerful than a Librarian? He should be.

Exo Armor HearthGuards on Bikes don't get multiple bonuses for armor. They get the Exo Armor 2+/5++, but the bike really doesn't add anything to the armor. The bike just makes them tougher witha  +1 Toughness. Also, bikes are only 11 points for them, so 11 points for +1 toughness seems very fair to me.

-Edit-

Now that the living ancestor shot up in price, he can keep the 5 initiative :)

I like the new termite drill. Before it was a very expensive bunker, but now it seems to fit its use much better. A one way delivery system into battle. I think that the Auto Glancing hit on Vehicls for 40 points seems maybe a bit too "beardy". Maybe it could only do this auto glancing on non-skimmers? Also, I believe that the termite should havea  chance of drilling off board. I knwo that GW is trying to get players away from hugging the edge of the board with its new fall back rules. I dont mind the Termite pushing up against Impassible terrain, but you should get a chance of losing your squad if you decide to hug the edge of the board.

-Edit-

1) I am assuming you can mix heavy weapons in the support squad right? If not, I dont see why you couldn't. Same thing with the assualt squad. The wording makes it seem that you can only pick one weapon for all changes in the models.

This may sound silly, but shouldn't Squat vehicles be smaller than their imperium counter parts? Like a Rhino. If it could be done through conversions, wouldn't the squat equivilant be 50% smaller? I know this wouldnt fly due to cheesey tiny vehicles hiding behind terrain, but I dont see squats driving man sized vehicles.

3) On the turn Biked Exo Armored Hearthguards charge, do they just get one attack each like Rough Riders or do they get their 2+1 attacks at str 6 init 6?

4) Any possibilty of ratling snipers just becoming brotherhood snipers? I am thinking of using snipers, but I would just like to have dwarven models instead of ratlings. maybe these could be stunties?

5) There should be a 2 handed weapon option that gives +2 str. non power weapon.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 01:06:46 AM by Intellectawe »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2006, 03:53:12 AM »
The Living Ancestor should be a power house. He is the Squat equivalent to a Avatar in a sense. He is supposed to be powerful. Not Deamon powerful, but powerful.

Something about the Living Ancestor bothers me a bit, but I can't quite put it. Maybe I am wrong, but maybe he should also be Initiative 2 like the rest of the army. I just don't see him, fluff wise, being fast at all. Powerful, yes, fast, nah. He should be striking last, but when he does strike, he kills anything in his way.

Maybe the Living Ancestor always strikes last in combat. I know the model comes with a Rod/Cane, but how about some Force Hammer which would add the +2 to strength?
   I am in on the Iniative-thing. Makes sense. As for the hammer; it would be adding a lot of new things, and I am just trying to make the RT-list playable in 4th ed, not build a new one.

Exo Armor HearthGuards on Bikes don't get multiple bonuses for armor. They get the Exo Armor 2+/5++, but the bike really doesn't add anything to the armor. The bike just makes them tougher witha  +1 Toughness. Also, bikes are only 11 points for them, so 11 points for +1 toughness seems very fair to me.
   No, they DO get the bonus, like anything else on bikes. They also gain a bit of speed, which they need. They might be underpriced for that, but then again, I have not started testing them out yet.

I like the new termite drill. Before it was a very expensive bunker, but now it seems to fit its use much better. A one way delivery system into battle. I think that the Auto Glancing hit on Vehicls for 40 points seems maybe a bit too "beardy". Maybe it could only do this auto glancing on non-skimmers? Also, I believe that the termite should havea  chance of drilling off board. I knwo that GW is trying to get players away from hugging the edge of the board with its new fall back rules. I dont mind the Termite pushing up against Impassible terrain, but you should get a chance of losing your squad if you decide to hug the edge of the board.
   As the droppod does not do this, then why should the more expensive torpedo?

1) I am assuming you can mix heavy weapons in the support squad right? If not, I dont see why you couldn't. Same thing with the assualt squad. The wording makes it seem that you can only pick one weapon for all changes in the models.
   Yes you can. Is there any indication that you can't?

This may sound silly, but shouldn't Squat vehicles be smaller than their imperium counter parts? Like a Rhino. If it could be done through conversions, wouldn't the squat equivilant be 50% smaller? I know this wouldnt fly due to cheesey tiny vehicles hiding behind terrain, but I dont see squats driving man sized vehicles.
   If they build it; sure. They didn't. They just used STC to build them.

3) On the turn Biked Exo Armored Hearthguards charge, do they just get one attack each like Rough Riders or do they get their 2+1 attacks at str 6 init 6?
   They get their attacks as normal, just with a bonus. Yes, the bikes are overpowered. More points there...

4) Any possibilty of ratling snipers just becoming brotherhood snipers? I am thinking of using snipers, but I would just like to have dwarven models instead of ratlings. maybe these could be stunties?
   Possibly they could be "upgraded" to brotherhood snipers, and get Ancestral hatred and Fat of foot for a point-increase?

5) There should be a 2 handed weapon option that gives +2 str. non power weapon.
   Why? There wasn't in the RT-list.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »
I am in on the Iniative-thing. Makes sense. As for the hammer; it would be adding a lot of new things, and I am just trying to make the RT-list playable in 4th ed, not build a new one

Ok. I bought a RT book, but I am waiting to get it in the mail.

No, they DO get the bonus, like anything else on bikes. They also gain a bit of speed, which they need. They might be underpriced for that, but then again, I have not started testing them out yet.

On the turn Biked Exo Armored Hearthguards charge, do they just get one attack each like Rough Riders or do they get their 2+1 attacks at str 6 init 6?

So, the armor becomes a 1? That just sounds plain silly to me. Just for the fact that I don't think I have ever seen any model with a armor save of 1 before. As for the uping the cost, I don't see why. Terminators get can deepstrike with a teleporter homer. Squats don't. Maybe the squat "lance bike" should just get one attack each during teh charge with the str and init bonus. I think it gives them more of a cavalry charge feel, without over cheesing them for having a bike. I know this would messing with the rules, but maybe Exo armor on bikes would not be to use the Turbo Boost rule?

Maybe the strike once during a charge and no turbo boost would keep the cost of the bike down? I really like the cost of the bike on a heartguard squad as it is.

Maybe the hearthguard can keep the turbo boost, but once they put on the exo armor it goes away due to too much weight?

As the droppod does not do this, then why should the more expensive torpedo?
Once again I dont play marines. Seems fair to me now.

Yeah.. "Up to half the squad may be armed with A weapon from the folliowing list". I see the "A" as a limiting factor. Maybe you could write it as "Up to half the squad may be armed with weapons from the folliowing list".

Possibly they could be "upgraded" to brotherhood snipers, and get Ancestral hatred and Fat of foot for a point-increase?
This is a possibility. You would be paying for the increase in toughness. Funny, maybe the "upgrade" Squat snipers could have graviton guns instead of sniper rifles, and have infiltrate. I don't think a 12" gun would make thier cost increase at all. Did the RT list have squat snipers? I am assmunig it only had ratling snipers. Now that I think about it, squat snipers don't sound to good.

-EDIT-

A Living Ancestor in a side car puzzles me a bit. You made it clear how he works out for being shot at quite clear, but not in CC.

1)Does the Living Ancestor lose its IC status because he is now fused with another model?

2)In CC, how would attacks be sorted out? Would attacks be allocated to the biker seperatley from the Living Ancestor?

3)I am assuming a LA in a side car has joined the unit it is attached to?

4)Can a LA leave its side car and get back into it?

5) Also, if you take his init down to 2, bring his points back to what is was also. This way he can hit harder than a chaplain, but just last.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:02:25 AM by Intellectawe »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2006, 10:56:48 AM »
I am in on the Iniative-thing. Makes sense. As for the hammer; it would be adding a lot of new things, and I am just trying to make the RT-list playable in 4th ed, not build a new one

Ok. I bought a RT book, but I am waiting to get it in the mail.
   Which one? Squats are in the Compendium (second expansion, red book.)

On the turn Biked Exo Armored Hearthguards charge, do they just get one attack each like Rough Riders or do they get their 2+1 attacks at str 6 init 6?

So, the armor becomes a 1? That just sounds plain silly to me. Just for the fact that I don't think I have ever seen any model with a armor save of 1 before. As for the uping the cost, I don't see why. Terminators get can deepstrike with a teleporter homer. Squats don't. Maybe the squat "lance bike" should just get one attack each during teh charge with the str and init bonus. I think it gives them more of a cavalry charge feel, without over cheesing them for having a bike. I know this would messing with the rules, but maybe Exo armor on bikes would not be to use the Turbo Boost rule?
   I will look into it. As I said; they have not undergone testing yet.

Yeah.. "Up to half the squad may be armed with A weapon from the folliowing list". I see the "A" as a limiting factor. Maybe you could write it as "Up to half the squad may be armed with weapons from the folliowing list".
   That could lead people to double up; plama and flamer, so that when things get too close they flame away. I think the wording now is pretty ok.

This is a possibility. You would be paying for the increase in toughness. Funny, maybe the "upgrade" Squat snipers could have graviton guns instead of sniper rifles, and have infiltrate. I don't think a 12" gun would make thier cost increase at all. Did the RT list have squat snipers? I am assmunig it only had ratling snipers. Now that I think about it, squat snipers don't sound to good.
   Again, this was never part of the RT-list, and Graviton-gun is rare, which is why noone gets it except characters who pay big for it.

A Living Ancestor in a side car puzzles me a bit. You made it clear how he works out for being shot at quite clear, but not in CC.
   I will clarify it a bit.

4)Can a LA leave its side car and get back into it?
  Nope.

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2006, 11:32:28 PM »
I know I already informed you about the missing Squat Mechanic and Servitor in your army list but...

Will your list include Warlords at some point?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 01:51:08 AM by Intellectawe »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2006, 02:11:07 AM »
know I already informed you about the missing Squat Mechanic and Servitor in your army list but...
   And they are now included. You just have ot look for them. They are sneaky.

Umm... Are you reading the list? The Warlord is the first HQ-choice in ths list.

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »
know I already informed you about the missing Squat Mechanic and Servitor in your army list but...
   And they are now included. You just have ot look for them. They are sneaky.

Umm... Are you reading the list? The Warlord is the first HQ-choice in ths list.

Really? Wow, I am an idiot. For some reason I was making a distinction between "Commanders" and "Warlords" simply because there are different models for them!

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2006, 11:41:51 AM »
Wow, I am hurting my eyes looking!

I can only find Marine Techpriests. I cannot find any squat mechanics on your list!

I found the Stuntie Servitor! I still can't find the Squat Adeptus Mechanicus.

Also, what kind of Squats are these?
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php?t=19244

Why can't Characters use Bionics, Master Crafted Weapons, breastplates and grenades? This seems silly to me. Every other army has Characters who can take equipment like this!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 03:33:19 PM by Intellectawe »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2006, 06:18:26 PM »
Please do not make serial posts. Use the "Modify"-button ( or ) to add to your posts rather tehan to post another in sequence. Thank you.
Have a nice day.

1. Look under Ornamental Breastplate
2. They are the very rare 2nd ed new-relase squats. They never hit the stores.
3. Again - what are you reading? Objects maked with an * are viable for upgrade-characters. However, a Veteran can't get a bike, which is IC only.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:25:21 AM by Rasmus »

Offline Bender lord of Penguins

• Mmmmmm Penguin Beer......................
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2006, 03:43:15 AM »
I was just looking at the list at its good (good job :D) But I was just thinking that maybe Warlords should be a 0-1 choice to represent the fluff on them and maybe the same for guildmasters too but they probably don't need it.
Fear The penguins...

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2006, 05:01:36 AM »
Well, you could technically haveone Kinghand and a thanehand in the same army. So Kinghand could be e0-1, but not Warlord per se?

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »
1) For fluff reasons it sounds good. But I dont think Kinghands were like that back in RT. I mean, Archons from DE are a 0-1, but theya re so powerful. I don't see Kinghands being anywhere near as powerful enough to be limited to 0-1.

2) You have Veterans for the Brotherhood squads listed as +7.

You have Veterans listed as +10 under each Character section of the brotherhood details.

Which one is it? 7 points for a vet or 10 points for a vet?

3) PLasma guns which don't over ehat is very powerful. I have noticed that other armies that have the "No Overheat Rule" have PLasma guns at strength 6. Shouldn't plasmaguns that do not overheat be strength 6? Strength 6 would still hurt infantry models, but will be less effective against vehicles. I think that plasmas should be strength 6, like the Tau, eldar and other armies...

4) My HQ already has a retinue of Hearthguard. Is there any way I can just take Advisers and split them up into the brotherhood squads?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:58:22 PM by Intellectawe »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2006, 02:32:03 AM »
1. No, they are terms that needed to be made now that we noo longer have minor/major-heroes like we did back in RT.
2. Veterans are at +7. It is a typo.
3. Plasmaguns cost +2 points more for BS3-troops because of the no overheat.
4. Nope.

Offline Bannedface666

• cubiclebattles
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2006, 11:43:36 AM »
I just realised why I got confused with your mortars and thudd guns. You have a huge error in your book concerning the weapons.

The word "barrage" isn't a type of weapon. You have Barrage listed as a type of weapon

Name       Range Str  AP  Type       Note

Mole Mortar     48"   Var  4   Heavy 1    Barrage

You don't need the column "note" there. If a weapon has special rules, just put a * by the type, like Heavy 1*. This is how all other codexes do this. What a proper Mole Mortar should look like is this;

Name       Range   Str    AP    Type

Mole Mortar   48" G    Var   4     Heavy 1*

weapons with a * have special rules. Consult the weapon description for the special rules

What you have listed as "barrage" is supposed to just have the letter "G" next to the range, so that players know this is a "guess/barrage" weapon under the BBB entry.

Also, there is no need to note the Heavy Weaponsteams as not being able to form "batteries" since this doesn't exist under the BBB. Just write it so it reads that Weaponteams cannot fire multiple barrages as per the BBB.

Offline Zaeon

• For every action, you will face my reaction
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2007, 10:03:29 AM »
very good, you have now made me want to look into a squat army. I'm betting it won't be cheap though.

quick question, will you be making rules for the Land Train? I hope so as that has to be the coolest vehicle in 40k
Mankind will fade into its own decadence, while our race will rise again, our kind will not falter as before.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
There were some VDR-constructs for it, but since it was never in the original 40k-list for Squats I never thought to include it. If anyone makes some we could hitch it on as an appendix, along with the other BIG vehicles they had.

Offline TastyPavlova

« Reply #76 on: January 2, 2008, 01:10:06 AM »
I really want to get the codex that you wrote up, but I click on the link and it doesn't come up. could you attach the file to a comment so I could get it? Then I'll start posting up stuff about it.
If a job's worth doing, it's worth dying for...

Just returning to 40K, I'll be starting up again with Imperial Guard.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #77 on: January 2, 2008, 05:18:49 AM »
The link was long dead. Fixed now.

Offline Rikerwota

• Ut Saliamus Ea Fenestra
« Reply #78 on: March 6, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »
Rasmus, when I click on the link the file comes up as 'damaged and cannot be repaired'. Sounds awesome though, can't wait to look through it :)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #79 on: March 6, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »
I suggest you go here.