News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2150pts 30k Death Guard vs Word Bearers FINAL BATTLE  (Read 1086 times)

Offline bosswoodfox

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
2150pts 30k Death Guard vs Word Bearers FINAL BATTLE
« on: April 19, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
WARHAMMER 30K "FINAL BATTLE - THE RELIC" Part 3 Death Guard vs Word Bearers -

Hi,

Got part 3 here of a small campaign a friend and I did between DG and WB.  New to video editing but we're having fun with it, Comments and Criticism welcome.

Based on suggestions I've gotten we're going to cut the intro music/clip length down a bit, try to include army lists in full detail, and recap each player turn rather than only game turns.

Thanks for watching!

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: 2150pts 30k Death Guard vs Word Bearers FINAL BATTLE
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
Niiiiice! That was a hoot to watch, Bosswoodfox. Nice looking models. Blessed entertaining commentary, and the choice of battle mat? good one. Will be tuning in to watch more of them. ..Be well!

Offline bosswoodfox

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback I rly appreciate it!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
Hi bosswoodfox first off welcome to 40konline.

I am not normally a fan of video battle reports as a lot of them tend to include hyperactive commentators and they go on for far too long.

Yours on the other hand I really enjoyed. The thirty minute run time really helps to keep it entertaining and the commentators voice is easy to listen to and I would say cool.

I also like how authoritative the commentator is. That is he is straight to the point without very much pausing or back tracking which again makes the video very easy to listen to.

The only thing I wasn't a fan of was how the camera view never once stayed still. I found it a bit disorientating at times and would prefer the camera to be stationary for some of the time.

I liked the Game Turn review approach of this video and I am not sure a change to Player Turn recap would actually be better. If nothing else wouldn't a Player Turn recap make the video longer?

As Saim-dann said the armies, board and terrain look fantastic.

Edit: Not really a criticism and more just my personal taste but I really don't like the background music as a choice for a war game.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:17:22 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline bosswoodfox

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
Hello Alienscar, first off thanks a lot for the in-depth reply! This forum is already some of the better feedback (or feedback at all) than I have been able to get and it helps me out. Thanks for the compliments and I'll take your suggestions seriously.

This video was 30mins because it was Part3, but I typically shoot for around 20 mins. I'm glad you enjoyed the condensed format.  I do watch longer batreps on youtube sometimes but as you said it is difficult. I feel like the quality of the video should be commensurate with the video length. =)

As for the moving camera, and desire for more stationary camera, I agree and will try to do more of that.  When I made my first video a couple months ago, I watched it and made my own list of critiques, and that was one of them... move, stay stay stay stay, move again.

I will weigh what you said about game turns vs player turns, since there was another comment on dakkadakka that said the opposite.  As you said, it would increase video length.

I like the music, but primarily I am bound by copyright.  So far I have found a couple of "copyright free" music sources on Youtube and torrents but not many.  I will search more but I am limited.

Again thanks for the feedback!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
Hello Alienscar, first off thanks a lot for the in-depth reply! This forum is already some of the better feedback (or feedback at all) than I have been able to get and it helps me out. Thanks for the compliments and I'll take your suggestions seriously.

Don't take them too seriously as I am just one voice in the wilderness. If you like what you have produced then that is all that matters as you can't please all of the people all of the time. I really wish that more of the people that have viewed your post had offered a comment. I know some people on here watch Bat Reps and listen to pod casts so I was really hoping that someone would come along and tell me that I was talking rubbish.

I feel like the quality of the video should be commensurate with the video length. =)

You are right and this is really the only problem I have with most of the longer Battle Reports. The quality and content rarely matches the time spent watching he video. At the extreme end of this are the Warhammer Community Bat Reps on their Twitch channel. The Bat Rep is really just a backdrop for all the inane chatter that is going on.

I will weigh what you said about game turns vs player turns, since there was another comment on dakkadakka that said the opposite.  As you said, it would increase video length.

Don't take my opinion too seriously as I don't watch a lot of video reports. Saying that I don't watch them because they are too long and a move to a Player Turn based Bat Rep might tip the timing of your videos over the edge for me.

Conversely I can see the appeal of the Player Turn approach as it would plainly offer a better breakdown of the overall game.

If you can keep the tight and authoritative approach to your commentary going through each Player Turn then I think it might work.

I like the music, but primarily I am bound by copyright.  So far I have found a couple of "copyright free" music sources on Youtube and torrents but not many.  I will search more but I am limited.

That's fair enough. Can the volume of the music be turned down relative to your voice as I noted that if I turned my laptops volume down I found the lower volume made the music more bearable.

On the subject of volume can the volume of your gaming partner be increased so that it sounds more in line with your own. The quality and volume of your voice makes his suffer by comparison.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline bosswoodfox

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:20:12 PM »
That's fair enough. Can the volume of the music be turned down relative to your voice as I noted that if I turned my laptops volume down I found the lower volume made the music more bearable.

I can do this when I fix the levels at the last stage of video editing process, no problem, good feedback.

On the subject of volume can the volume of your gaming partner be increased so that it sounds more in line with your own. The quality and volume of your voice makes his suffer by comparison.

This is a little more difficult. Currently I use the onboard mic on the phone.  Best answer would be mic the participants with wireless mic but I have no plan for that right now.  Also harder to fix in video editing since the LOUD then soft voice are both in same clip and harder to adjust volume within clip.

Best answer is to hold camera closer to someone if they are speaking, again good catch!