News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Clan Saim-Lucster (1750pts - competitive Craftworld) (new Battle 26 May 09)  (Read 14517 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
    Come my Bretheren; for death can not catch us, she is old and slow. I the Wlidrider Cheif have called my family to war and I ask that for the good of all Eldar, you do the same. The time is here when our very existance is at stake, all the "Mon-Kiegh" That which must be destroyed have seamed to join together in an effort to overwhelm and destroy us. We must, for the sake of all Eldar, put aside our past feuds within our own Craftworld and with those distant cousins from the other Craftworlds; so that we may withhhold our place of honour in the Multiverse. I will personnally be leading my closest family members in battle to strike out at the enemy. Although all have stepped forward, I have hand selected some of my most potent and battle hardened family members to fight with me as a very swift though small Elite force. We will strike at the enemy in such a manner that he never sees us coming and by the time he realizes what is happening, we will be striking somewhere else. This is the time my Bretheren to use our most brutal tactics of patient subversion, as every lost "Finnaidann" Swift Warrior is a small victory for the Mon-Kiegh, and as such must be avoided. Use the strengths of each of your families to fight these small battles as I direct you; thus we will quell the Mon-Kiegh and show some of our true power to our cousins. 

This will be where I post the BatReps for this army, and bear with me as I get the post set up... There will only ever be one list though, so I will put it here. And then I will add links to each BatRep as I do them up. Also please note that this list was designed by POC Saim-Hann for use as a Themed Competition List, and that Theme was as important as anything else in its design.

Here is the List that I will be going with. And it was designed using the 3rd Ed Craftworld FOC while still meeting all requirements for legal play in 5th Ed ~~ In short, its meant to be a Themed army that will be fun to play and have some competitive edge to its still.

moc065 / "Saim-Lucster's Clan"  Holders of the Secrets

HQ (1-2) 680pts ~ 39%
(140) Autarch -1; "Saim-Lucster" Holder of Secrets ~~ Jetbike, Laserlance, Mandiblaster & Fusion Gun
(140) Farseer – 1; "Saim-Lir" Hand of Secrets ~~ Jetbike, RoWarding, RofWitness & Fortune
(400)   Warlocks - 8; Larstill-Istu" Silent-Blade Jetbikes, with 2 embolden, 2 enhance
     Think back to the days of the Wild Rider Chief and his Kinsmen… this is in effect what is being done in here, with the Autarch being the Wild Rider Chief and the Farseer with Warlocks supporting him in whatever regard is required. In 3rd Ed I had a simular unit (unfortunately I sold a lot of them) with the Wild Rider Chief, his Kinsmen, and a Farseer on Jetbike supporting them. I think this new unit is totally in theme with 3rd Ed Saim-Hann and really keeps the army “In the Air” … it also adds a much needed Close Combat portion to the list which is a serious must for me in 5th Ed. It does have a flaw that it can be tied down by certain units; but overall a JB Council can add a lot of punch to an Eldar list.

EL (0-1) 113pts ~ 7%
(113) Fire Dragons - 6; "Man-Kian" Fiery Death ~~ (Exarch) with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot.
Anti-tank and for Tough infantry
     Well, you could only have one Elite back in the original Craftworld Saim-Hann and the list was seriously lacking in both Anti-tank and Anti-Hard Infantry… so as the Fire Dragons can fill both roles, in they went… I also use them in the Falcon so they to remain “In the Air” unless they are performing a classic “Drive-By Shooting”. Besides, I have always loved the shooting aspect of the Eldar race, so why not use one of the best shooting units in the game.

TR (0-3) 616 ~ 35%
(125)  Storm Guardians - 10; "Shad-Rillie" Glittering Spear ~~ Warlock with Embolden and Spear, 2 Flamers.
     (145)   Wave Serpent; twin linked Brightlances and stones
(205)   Jetbikes - 7; "Larstill-Mair" Swift-Blade ~~ Jetbike Warlock with Embolden and Spear, and 2 Shuricen Cannons.
(151)   Jetbikes - 5; "Jaiz-till" Storm Slayer ~~ Jetbike Warlock with Singing Spear and Embolden, and 1 Shuriken Cannon.
     Craftworld Saim-Hann screamed for Jetbikes (well they were a "Fast Attack" choice back in 3rd Ed, and totally in theme), so in they went… This was tricky though as Eldar really need decent Scoring Troops with synergetic support, so the list was actually started in this FOC section (then the HQ was added, and then the FA, EL, & HS)… I was remiss to have fewer Troops in order to follow the old Craftworld theme and more Fast Attack; but 5th Ed forced me to get those all too valuable Scoring units… The theme of “In the Air” and 3rd ed style is maintained though as the Stormies will be staying in their can unless actively performing a classic “Drive-By Shooting”, and the Jetbikes fit into both 3rd and 5th Ed style of the army…

FA (2-6) 150 ~ 9%
(75)   Vyper - EML & Shuriken Cannon
(75)   Vyper - EML & Shuriken Cannon
     I needed 2 Fast Attack choices to fit the old Craftworld Saim-Hann theme, and although I was pressed to take Shining Spears (Swooping Hawks and Warp Spyders were not an option as they were an Elite Choice in 3rd Ed), the Vypers won the toss as they added some much needed ranged support while keeping the mobility factor high as well as being “In the Air”… They will also give me two very fast options to contest objectives should I need to (and if they live long enough), where as the spears just couldn't do the same for such a cheap points cost.

HS (0-1) 180 ~ 10%
(180)   Falcon; EML, Holo-fields, and stones.
     What can I say, with only 1 Heavy Support choice allowed in the old FOC, I simply went for what gave the most options, effectiveness and theme in one package. It also allowed me to keep the Fire Dragons "In the Air" so here into the list it went…

1,749pts,  11 KP, 3 Scoring Units, 43 figures

Here is a picture of the Army Assembled (Sorry its not all painted, and some vehicle weapons are not exact (Proxy), as the army is not "Done", ~~ I'm working on it, OK)

Stats: Games Played = 11     Wins = 8     Losses = 0    Draws = 3 

The list is designed to showcase a number of different units that all have speed and punch as their primary asset and these units can all be "In the Air". The units were also choosen for their inate ability to work together to exploit synergy through coordinated firepower and/or assault punch while still fitting into the original Saim-Hann theme. This can be a very subversive army when played correctly, the key is to set up in a manner that allows coordination of the units later on while affording early protection. The next stage is to gain table control through selective movement and prioty target elimination, without incuring casualties, as casualty conservation is its number one priority. Once tabel control is established the enemy units are dealt with through isolation tactics to devide and conquer through shear wheight of firepower/assault punch, or through use of Hit and Run style attacks to attrition an enemy out. Finally the army uses its speed to have the units always support each other throughout the task until the Mission Objectivse can be clearly assertained in the late game.

Here are the Links to the Individual Games that are done.
After "The Fall" a game vs our Dark Eldar Kin.
"Grabbing some Ground" a game vs some unsusspecting Orkz.
The Bizzness at Hand a game vs Necrons and one of their living Gods (diagrams only).
When cousins Meat a game vs Flying Eldar, as they got in the way (diagrams only)
A loaded 44 a game vs Dante and 43 of his Bloody associates (diagrams only)
Da Mob, again a game vs a different Ork Mob (diagrams only)
What happens when other Eldar get in the way a game vs a very decent Hybrid Eldar list.
The tail of two Space Marine Chapters two mini-batreps vs two very different SM chapters.
Black and Orange, is it a Tiger ? a game about the Vaughn Chapter Space Marines.

Sorry I missed one game for Batreps, but I can't find the notes, I was vs SM's though, and it was a wipe out as I crushed him a little too easily (noob using internet list is not a great match)

I hope that you enjoy this thread and feel free to comment as I hope to game about 1 every 2 weeks or so (sorry for the delays - real life).

Rundown of the components and the list...

Autarch = As always, awesome when assaulting, meh otherwise; but a keeper, as his Reserve bonus and potential are huge.
Farseer = Pure Awesome, the ability to Fortune is insane as it saved me at least 10 casualties per game. OK, not so great vs the Necrons; but had I passed that one LD test, he could have been golden. I would love to give her Mindwar and stones as well; but where would I steal 40 pts to do it with ?
Fire Dragons = I think they got at least two good rounds of shooting in for every match, so they worked great, and always helped where and when needed, I will not leave home without them. I have also seen them be the turning point in too many games to consider ditching them.. Pure Awesome if used well.
Stormies = Often under-estimated (not be me) and although they had they off momments; they did something each game and they are cheap... Am I impressed, not really; but there is not much else for me to use and get their potential... as when they worked (vs Eldar and Orks) they worked incredibly well.
Serpent = Love it, fast, decent shooting and resilient enough for me... It did go down (remember not to use it to Shock an MC, etc) but overall it normally lasted long enough to get the job done, adn the BrightLances were pure gold in many games.
Jetbikes = Still love them... Yes I babied them for the most part by starting in reserves; but it sort of goes part in parcel with the List, and they did contribute to every match, slowly taking down Necron Warriors, or keeping Skimmers shaken, or slowly taking out Imperial Armour... They always helped and they were more resilient than most people would have thought.
Vypers = OK, where to start... I think I lost 1 or both in most matches; but before they went, they always did something. I still like them a lot, and the EML range is good enough to really help in their usage. They were not uber, but they are cheap and in general provided more than they gave up. They also provided two FA units to help set the balanced tone for the list.
Falcon = As a delivery ship it was pure awesome, as it was more reliable than the lunch hour whistle. Shooting, well, even when I minimized its moves to get a krak as well as the Pulse, it just wasn't great, as if failed to hit/wound a little too often; but that is partly due to my poor dice. I won't discuss the Frag scatter, as I don't think that I ever rolled a "Hit" with it, and at best got 2 potential wounds that were to easily saved. Overall though, its a definate keeper, as it really does help the List function, and overall it sucked up as many shots as it put out, which does help too.

The list is not a No-Brainer, and I got better with it as times went on... so I do recommend to alway practice your lists...

I also found the list was really fun to use (even after several games), and there were always new things to develop with it... Like my Stormies actually surviving a match (twice now btw)... Same goes for both Vypers (twice as well, although I usually did save one)... and believe it or not... the Wildriders have been completely wasted in a game of two, so they are not no-brainers to simply throw at th enemy... Starky asked me what I would change in the list so here it is...

• If I have another 100pts to spend, I would get Mindwar and Stones for Saim-Lir as she needs to have the "pick-out" abilty vs some guys... and one more Warlock on JB an extra Embolden and 2 Spears for the council (also trading an Enhance for more Destructors to fit the points) would be a serious asset vs many armies...
  • As for at this level; well, it has its issues; but I love the way it feels on the battle field (and in real life the figures look awe-some)... so until I get a few more games with it... well its staying the same (inless you have an idea to save me 40pts for Mindwar and stones to give to Saim-Lir).
  • If I could go up to 2.5K I would fill out the council completely.. maybe add another FD+Falcon combo, beef up the JB units, and maybe add another Troops choice such as DA in a Serpent.

CaHG
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:13:35 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
After "The Fall"
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
     The Eldar race is in termoul all over, the Craftworlds are going their seperate ways as the evil spreads through our beloved race... It is almost impossible to imagine, but many of our Kin have resigned to their nature and forgone the true path; thus they must be erradicated as any other "Mon-Kiegh" before they establish themselves and their ways. It is unfortunate that some of our own Kin have succumbed to their Darker Nature; and even though some are actually close brethren to me and our clan, I Saim-Lucster will ensure that all Mon-Kiegh are elliminated so that the true path can once again be followed and Eldar can once again rule supreme in the multiverse.
     Son, your thoughts trouble me, and although you are the newly elected Chief, you must be careful to curb your emotions or you too may succumb to the Darker Nature of our Race. Remember that I and the Farseer's have forcast this "Fall" from grace for some time now, and that you were selected to hold the Saim-Hann Craftworld together through this time.... Your primary goal must always be to family, and then to race, and finally to your emotions. If you let your emotions fool you, then you will be no better than your brother who left our family to follow his Dark Nature. And you too will fall from grace and become not an outcast; but one of the Hunter Dark Ones. Remeber son that I, Saim-Lir, have sworn to hunt all Eldar that fall from grace, and although I love you... you are not above reproach.

Thus, Saim-Lucster and Saim-Lir begin their quest to eliminate all Eldar that have gone the path of the Dark. To systematically wipe them out as all mon-kiegh deserve. To show no mercer in their task, to take no repreave, and to only set their current family as a priority above this task. The Hunt begins.

The two armies assembled for battle....

Saim-Hann Eldar (moc065)         Dark Eldar Raiders (Gary)

Please note that Gary is a friend an another Mature Gamer... his list is not week and not Uber; but it holds certain slick tricks that fit his theme and it can be brutal as he is a good General. Gary was also asked to bring a list that was competitive and that might have a hidden gem that could fool most Opponents, as Gary is known for having something un-conventional. Composition and theme were not factors in the DE-Raider list, and should not be considered.

HQ
(165) Wyche Archite Lord: Reth-Tahl, Shadow field, combat drugs, punisher, animus vitea, tormentor helm, and a trophy rack.
(105) Dtacon: horith verran, combat drugs, punisher, xenospasm, and a trophy rack.
     (86) Incubi Master: keligus, combat drugs.
     (100) 4 Incubi
     (55) Raider: disintegrator.

EL
(191) 7 Wyches with plasma grenades, + Succubus with antagonzer, Raider wih disintigrator.
(204) 8 Wyches with plasma grenades, + Succubus with antagonzer, Raider wih disintigrator.

TR
(100) 10 Warriors, 2 DL's
(100) 10 Warriors, 2 DL's
(110) 10 Warriors, 2 Splinters, 2 blasters.
(232) 10 Warriors, 2 splinters, 2 blasters, sybarite and webway portal, Raider with Disintegrator.

HS
(100) Talos
(100) Talos
(120) Ravager 3 Disintegrators.

1749pts, 16 KP's, 4 Scoring Units, and 69 figures.

The Mission was "Capture and Control" (2 MO's), with a "Dawn of War" set-up... The Wild Riders won the roll off but decided to allow the DE-Raiders first turn My thoughts here were simple, I figured that he would set up close to center and rush me as Dark Eldar are typically an aggressive type of army... I would then arrive on mass in my Turn 1, and waste one or two of his units outright... removing his vehicles to limit his options. But understand I was simply going from what I saw on the table (above) and I never actually looked at his list (And I should have known better). Thus I stated that my army would be set on the table, or come in as regular DoW Reserves in Turn 1; Gary stated that he would set up his Troops bring the rest in as Reserves.

Turn 1
     The DE-Raiders took the field with a single Raider filled with their Warriors, they were so bold as to simply secure the middle of the battlefield with this one unit. The Saim-Hann delivered Saim-Lir (their Farseer) and Warlocks on Jetbikes into a fairly well hidden possition and then Saim-Lir atttempted to steal the initiative form her Dark Kin. The DE-Raiders were fully aware of their surroundings and thus they maintained the initiative; standing fast, and shooting at the Saim-Lir and her Kinsmen, and then they subtly set their Web Way Portal to do its dirty work mid battlefield. Saim-Lir had not scried anything about the WWP and was caught unaware (I never saw one used for almost 2 years now ~ so I actually forgot about it, and never pre-viewed the list ~ Duh), but she cast Fortune on her squad after seeing one Warlock succumb to the DE shooting, and she moved her squad to gain a slightly better possition. She then brought in her entire force (as I had declared this on Set-up) and although knowing that she would loose some casualties early on (a sacrafice had to be made or the battle would be lost), she hoped that her forces could see well enough in the early mist to make their take some decent cover, etc.

Pictures of first turn prior to SH shooting.

Turn 1 Casualties.
SH -1 Warlock on JB
DE Raider Immobilized and weapon removed.

I was duped by the Web Way Portal and actually should have known better. I thought my ranged shooting would go better; but rolled horribly for Nightfight. I also figured that it might be better to give up a few things early in order to remain capable of actually playing to the Mission. Thus I knew that the Vypers would probably be sacrifaced; but I to stick to the plan of Ground and Pound the enemy in order to win.

Turn 2
      The Dark Eldar exited the Web Way Portal on mass and with their speed and firepower quickly took the Saim-Hann to task, shooting several vehicles out of the air and actually arriveing into assault as well. The Saim-Hann had not seen the Combat Drugs of their Dark Kin in action (12" Assault is sick), and at some points they felt overwhelmed; but they endeavored to fight back, even through their casualties to even the score and hopefully gain control of the battle. The Saim-Hann worked to slow down their enemies rush, and then planned to devide them up and remove them as needed; all they needed now was a bit of resolve to weather the storm and Saim-Lucster and Saim-Lir continued to add psychic support to their force.

Here are a couple pic of what we were doing through turn 2.

Turn 2 Casualties.
SH -2 Vypers (one wrecked 1 exploded) 1 entire Jetbike squad.
DE -1 wound on Talos, -5 Warriors, HQ Raider expoded.

I know that I could have played it safer and used distance; but I had a plan to get those Wyches and HQ guys on the ground were I could work on them, I also totally failed to get his Ravager even after a lot of effort was expended to keep missing it. So far though I had only lost a few units and none of those were critical to actually completing the mission... I still had enough to win as long as I didn't loose too much more, and some rolls started going my way.

Turn 3
     The Dark Eldar were slowed a little but not much.. as their HQ jumped into a different Raider, and the rest of their army continued its onslaught of the Saim-Hann. Their shooting was incredible and they even managed to get the Talos' into an assault with the JB Council. The Saim-Hann were not done though, as they continued to bring down the Dark Vehicles and cause as much havoc as possible while staving off casualties. Saim-Lir wounded the Talos and sent a small moral victory cry out to her force.

Here is pic showing how the Saim-Hann used their speed to try and regain the battle field control

Turn 3 Casualties.
SH Council down to 6 JBs and in assault with 2 Talos
DE Raider exploded, wounds on Talos' a few dead Warriors, and other Raider shaken.

I had managed to keep his best CC units out of the game, and I was using the terrain well enough to limit his options. My goal was to keep working away on him slowly while setting up for the big finish. I had hoped to waste one of the Talos in CC but Gary rolled well for his saves. I also had not seen any army shoot as well as these Dark Eldar in quite some time.

Turn 4
     The Dark Eldar continued to fight hard with shooting (Ravager blasted 5/7 Jetbikes off the table); but their assault punch was becoming less and the Saim-Hann had used their speed to regain control of the battle for the most part. The Council had withstood an incredible amount of punishment from the two Talos in CC; but they were slowly faltering. The Saim-Hann shooting was hitting the mark but too often was not effective enough; although when the Storm Guardians roasted an entire squad of Dark Warriors, Saim-Lir felt that a new breath of life had been infused in her force, and when her last 2 Jetbikers Turbo'd into possition she knew that there were still ways to win this battle outright.

Here are a couple pics through turn 4, it was getting ugle in there; but the SH were slowing getting to where they wanted to be.

Turn 4 Casualties.
SH Council down a it more -5 JB's.
DE Raiders immobilized and weaponless or shaken, -1 Talos, wounds on Talos, Lots of Warriors dead, Ravager reduced in weaponry.

OK, that hurt a little (maybe a lot); but I was making head way. I probably revealed the Stormies a little too early; but I did have a back up plan with the Jetbikers, even if it was a long shot. And I really was hoping to be done with the Talos by this point (unbelievable rolls from Gary on their saves were starting to be my undoing).

Turn 5
     The Dark Eldar were not done, No... They downed the Saim-Hann Serpent and blew off its EML's (another great 12" assault), then they shot the Storm Guardians to obliviion with disintegrators, splinters, and anything else they could find. The Wyches made a rush at the Falcon as well; but failed to damage it. But Saim-Lir no longer had any support vs the Talos besides her son Saim-Lucster; but he was ill equiped in this type of tough Close Combat and through the pain he felt for the loss of his brethren. She bolstered the Saim-Hann for one last rush though, in a effort to cleanse the Battlefield of her Dark Kin. Thus she had them take the objectives so that reinforcements could arrive. The Jetbikers used Turbo once agian and secured one objective, while the Falcon move flat out to push the Dark Eldar off of their Objective. All the while her and her son held the Talos in CC to the bitter end.

Here is pic through part of the DE turn 5...

Turn 5 Casualties.
SH - 10 Storm Gaurdians and a Warlock.
DE -

OK, that hurt some more (a lot). Loosing the Stormies was expected in a way (when I look back at it) but I didn't expect some of Gary's tactics and/or shooting ability, and I can't believe how much fire power the Ravarger soaked up... Oh well, I was in a possition to win and the game was a lot of fun up to this point....

Turn 6
     The Game ended here on a roll of a 2... and although the Dark Eldar certainly did put up a serious fight, the Saim-Hann prevailed in the end to claim one objective and contest the other...

Gary was a seriously good General, and the Web Way Portal through me for such a loop that I pretty well threw him a win at the beginning (I should have held more in reserves; or at least looked at his list to understand his potential tactics better)... Anyway, it was a great game and I would like to once again thank Gary, GW Halifax (Dave the Blackshirt), and all the guys that watched for making it a truely "Fun" experience.

PS... I got freaking lucky at the end; but I will take the win, as Gary bested me in our privious 2 encounters (that makes us 3-2 in my favour Gary vs your DE.. and I must say, your one of the few that give me trouble in every game, so Well and I truely respect your ability as a DE General ~~ Nice lise BTW).

CaHG
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:10:52 AM by moc065 »

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: Clan Saim-Lucster (1750pts - competitive Craftworld)
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2009, 04:10:56 PM »
I killed that list at 1500... we can surely repeat that at 1750...heh.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Clan Saim-Lucster (1750pts - competitive Craftworld) Game 1 entered.
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2009, 10:57:43 AM »
POC Saim-Hann 1750 list for Competitive Themed play
moc065 / "Saim-Lucster's Clan"  Holders of the Secrets

HQ (1-2) 680pts ~ 39%
(140) Autarch -1; "Saim-Lucster" Holder of Secrets ~~ Jetbike, Laserlance, Mandiblaster & Fusion Gun
(140) Farseer – 1; "Saim-Lir" Hand of Secrets ~~ Jetbike, RoWarding, RofWitness & Fortune
(400)   Warlocks - 8; Larstill-Istu" Silent-Blade Jetbikes, with 2 embolden, 2 enhance

EL (0-1) 113pts ~ 7%
(113) Fire Dragons - 6; "Man-Kian" Fiery Death ~~ (Exarch) with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot.

TR (0-3) 616 ~ 35%
(125)  Storm Guardians - 10; "Shad-Rillie" Glittering Spear ~~ Warlock with Embolden and Spear, 2 Flamers.
     (130)   Wave Serpent; twin linked Brightlances and stones
(205)   Jetbikes - 7; "Larstill-Mair" Swift-Blade ~~ Jetbike Warlock with embolden and Spear, 2 cannons.
(156)   Jetbikes - 5; "Jaiz-till" Storm Slayer ~~ Jetbike Warlock with Singing Spear and Embolden, and 1 Shuriken Cannon.

FA (2-6) 150 ~ 9%
(75)   Vyper - EML & Shuri-can
(75)   Vyper - EML & Shuri-can

HS (0-1) 180 ~ 10%
(180)   Falcon; EML, Holo-fields, and stones.

1,749pts,  11 KP, 3 Scoring Units, 43 figures

As I feel all things are open to discussion, examination, etc... I put this list under the rating scrutiny as well. Feel free to comment or criticize as always.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: Every single unit has Anti-tank Potential, and there is a bit of long, mid and short ranged options in this regard. It could be imporved in some ways; but overall this area is well covered and I rate it as Good 0.8
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: The Autarch, Fire Dragons, and several ranged weapons all have anti-MEQ potential, so although its not dedicated in all regards, there is a decent mix through out the list, overall I rate it as Above Average 0.7
3.. Anti-Horde potential: The list has some template options, mass fire options, etc.. its still could have some improvements though, but overall I rate it as Above Average 0.7
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: There is not a lot of high str, low ap ranged firepower; but with several EML's and Shuri-can's etc, it does cover this area decently, overall I rate it as Above Average 0.7
5.. Assault potential: The JB council is the only real Close Combat unit in the list, yes the JB's, Stormies, and FD's can assist; but they are not great for CC. The Council can be great; but it does lack in some ways as it can get bogged down or overloaded, so some thought has to used in their regard... overall I only rate this area as Above Average 0.7
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 3 scoring units are decent at this points level, the fact that they can be held as Reserves, are decently resilient, etc all help; but overall I just rate this area as Above Average 0.7
7.. Durability or Resilience: The Vypers are "soft" and other points can get exploited; but its speed and range options do off set this in many ways, overall I rate this as Above Average 0.7
8.. Flexability: Highly flexible as its speed can be incredable, and it can put out some serious firepower, or assault, or wait as needed... I have used the council as an Anvil in some cases, and it has the potential to paly well vs all enemies, so overall I rate this as Good 0.8
9.. Mission Capabiliy: It will have difficulty in missions will a lot of Mission Objectives as it can only score 3 times, has difficulty to hold an objective; but has options on contesting as well. This is a tricky situation as it really depends on the palystyle used at the time; but overall I rate its potential as Above Average 0.7
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: It was a serioulsy "Craftworld" list that got reconfigured to meet with 5th Ed and the current Codex criteria... It really fits in the Saim-Hann theme very well, and this is probably its strongest atribute as it certainly looks and feels like a Saim-Hann list, and it has really good synergy as well. Thus I rate this area a s Excellent 1.0

Rating = 7.5/10: Others may rate it differntly; but I see this a very themed list that can play in fun games; but also has the potential to do very well in any environment vs any opponent. Its probably not going to Win 1st place in many tournies; but it can do well enough to serve the Eldar proud overall.

CaHG
« Last Edit: April 6, 2009, 12:51:08 PM by moc065 »

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #4 on: February 9, 2009, 09:56:37 AM »
Interesting game, reminds me to write my own first batrep with the Iyanden List. I think I'll just copy you moc and build a specific thread for it.

I like there was a lot (or potentiall for) of great speed on both side. I am surprised that the Council didn't waste these Talos quick, as high T doesn't mean squat for a Witchblade...

Some need for insights: Where were the Wyches and what did they do? I expect that they could have helped a lot to wipe out the Council, Wych weapons effect and same overall resilience... Also, did the Dragons acomplished something?

I killed that list at 1500... we can surely repeat that at 1750...heh.
Even more ego. ::)

Sanctjud, you really should advertise your Oddball Award along with your '07 Chaos Poster of the Year, people would be forewarned...

Starky
« Last Edit: February 9, 2009, 09:59:25 AM by Starrakatt »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: February 9, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
Yes you did; but I actually own these figures and they do better in Real Life than on the Net... I only wish that I had them all completed and painted to spec... Oh and your welcome to another game at this level (as you know)... Besides, I got lucky vs Gary, so maybe I could beat your SMBikers too.

Challange accepted Sanctjud (PM me).

I grounded his Wyches with the Vyper and 5 Jetbikes as bait... to lure them, try and keep them away from the Council... That part of my plan worked as you can see them around the wrecked Vyper in one of the pics.. and they spent the rest of the game trying to get back into the fight. I did really limit Gary's speed through the game (which was my plan); but I was rolling way too many Shaken or Stunned and not nearly enough wrecked or exploded... as his "soft" vehicles just absorbed way to much. And as I noted, his Ravager was near indistructable (lost a single weapon through all my shots on it).

I was totally un-inpressed with the council for this game, I figured when the Talos first got into assault (as it had a wound already), that I would finish it off fast as I had Inititive and loads of attacks... I hit about 50% of the time (average enough); but I was actually rolling poorly to wound (yes I was rolling plenty of 1's) and then Gary was rolling decent for his saves (as there were almost never any 1's or 2's out of him)... I think on the initial assault I scored 4-5 wounds on 1 and 3-4 on the other... and out of that, only one Talos tooka single wound (so Gary only failed a single time out of 8-9 rolls vs 3+, when he should have failed about 3)...... I know he wasn't using loaded dice, as we shared his.. but I was sucking for dice rolls for plenty of the game. I should have known better as this was the second time I got into CC with Talos only to get bogged down... Unbelievable !

In retrospect, if I had looked at the list and noticed the WWP, I would have still set-up the Council (although a little differently) and had the rest come in as standard Reserves instead of on Turn 1...

Thanks for the comments and keep em coming.. I am also looking forward to reading about your own game with the Iyanden list, so get  it posted...

CaHG
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:11:15 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Grabbing some Ground
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
I know that it took a while but here is battle number too with the list...

Saim-Lucster and Saim-Lir see the evil Orkz gathered close to their sector.. the decided that really did need a spot to set up a bit of land based opreration and thus they picked this remote spot as its a bit isolated and confined.. So it might be easier to hold on to long term wise... Besides, the Orkz are Mon-Keigh too, and they might be helping the Dark Kin to gain a foothold.

The two armies assembled before battle. (using what I had in the car, as I am still building/painting the Council)

Kii's mob of Orkz          moc065's Saim-Hann Eldar

Please note that Kii is a local Youngblood-teen and he is not really that seasoned, but I have seen him do well enough, and he wanted to try his hand vs my Eldar, as I have been using my other armies a little too often as of late.

His list was something like this (memory is not that great; but you should get the idea)

Weirdboy wit stuff.
Warboss in Heavy Armour, Klaw and stuff.
10 Nobs in H-Armour, 4 klaws, painboy, cybork, and stuff.
Trukk wit red paint.
15 loota's, 3 were mechs
30 sluggas, nob.
30 sluggas, nob.
30 sluggas, nob.
5 Deffkoppta's.
Boom Gun (nicely converted btw)

1750pts or more... 4 scoring units, 10 KP's, and 124 figures...

The mission was Annihilation (KP's) with a Spearhead Deployement (Quarters) and although I won the dice roll, I offered for him to go first if he wanted.... He said that he wanted to pick the terrain so he went first... And then a stood there as he set up all those dudes... while I put down my HQ and Falcon with Fire Dagons in it in such a maner that he had no LOS to anything... (thats how I roll)

Orky Deployement

Saim-Hann deployement (note that big guns is just a terrain feature and not in play ~ looks cool though)

Deffkopta's Scout move ~~ I never knew they had that option; but its not realvant as their crap for shooting anyway

Turn 1

-- Da orks advance on mass, and run were ethey can, the Deffkoppta's and boom gun both shoot at the JB council and manage to kill one Regular Warlock.. which was pretty good all things considered. Weirdboy fails Psy; but no perils.
-- Fortune on HQ is good (and was for the whole game) The JB council and Falcon advance slightly.. the Falcon puts the Pulse and EML into the Trukk and it explodes, not harming the Nobs; but taking out 3-4 sluggas that were too close by. Saim-Lir cautions against shooting such a low LD opponent so the Council goes right into Close Combat were they easily waste all 5 deffkopta's and then consolidate to a decent position.

Turn 2

-- Da orks advance on mass; but the loota's (and they never moved, ever.). He tries to pistol whip the council a little with one squad of Sluggas; but the bounce off harmlessly... the rest runs, except for the loota's who shoot my Falcon but they only shake it. The weirdboy fails Psy again; but no perils either..
-- Almost all my Reseves arrive (except for the Stormies) and on they go, but way back (Shuri-cannon Range only) to keep their distance and do some ranged work before they get in the thick of it. the Falcon does another 6" move and the Council set up to assault some sluggas. My 2 vypers pop 2 nobs instantly (this was going well). The JB's do near nothing (maybe 1 slugga died) and but the council shoots the hell out of one squad of sluggas and trims them by 8 or so before assaulting the Slugga's they shot and a second squad (which ran closer) with the Weirdboy in BtB with the Autarch... Council wastes the Weirdboy, and then I win combat by 11.. so he looses 8-9 more figures for his fearless rollls (oouch ~ as I killed 17 from fearless and only 15 in combat.. he did manage a wound on the Farseer, Autarch and killed 2 reg Warlocks though)

Turn 3

-- Da Orks are not happy; but they respond well enough... As they continue their advance, and then the Loota's remove a Vyper instantly... Combat does not go well for the Orsk; but they manage to kill another JB warlock as they get widdle a lot more.
-- My Stomries arrive and set up to cook some Sluggas; my Falcon drive forward and spins a little to let the FD's have a decent angle on the Nobs, while the Jetbikes and last vyper all set up to get their Cannons/EML working on the Nobs as well. I Flame/shoot the sluggas and roast about 15 of them in the end (good start).. The Nobs then eat bullets from everywhere and in the end only 4 are left (warboss, Painboy, and 2 Klaw dudes - one with a wound). The JB Council finishes the Sluggas off (last few ran off the table) and they consolidate (note that the picture was before we were finished having them all coherent). Finally my Jetbikers spread out to make sure that the Boom gun doesn't hurt them too much.

Turn 4

-- Da orks decide that enough is enough, its time to bring some pain back to the enemy... so the Warboss and Nobs go at teh Firedragons and the Sluggas go at the Stormies... Everything shoots, and ork shooting can be good... (just not htis time) as the Eldar go unscathed. In assault the FD's take 3 casualties but stay in, while the Falcon takes a Shaken result from one of the Klaw boys. The Sluggas kick 8 Stormies off the battlefield (in body bags) but the eldar stand fast in there as well, and they even manage to kill a 3 Sluggas.
-- Saim-Lucster looks over at Saim-Lir and whispers.. those Loota's are looking like they need to be assaulted.. so they start flying over... everything else moves to gain distance form the enemy and set up for possible shooting. The Boom gun gets wasted from Shuri-cannon fire (lucky for the Eldar) and then the Council drives in (all passing their DT tests)... In combat the FD Exarch finish off that wounded Nob, before they all go down like a sack of amphetamine parrote, the Stormies actually win combat by 1, and the orks break and run (were they are pursude and run down), while the Saim-Lucster single handedly takes out 5 loota's before they can react.. (the rest od nothing ~ and Kii stated that he thinks the re-roll saves thingy is just too much).. when the dust clears the Lootas have only 4 guys left, and they fail so hard that I simple let them Run Away...

Turn 5

-- Da orks have very little left; but the Warboss, painboy and 1 PK nob quickly run over a lay waste to the Stormies. (what else could they do ~ the sneeky Eldar all backpeddled out of range)
-- All the Saim-Hann move to try and gain LOS and Range on the last few Orks. They have them prettywell surrounded; but saim-Lir cautions againt too much shooting... The Council then drives into them, were Saim-Lucster wastes the Warboss outright prior to the rest of the council finishing off the rest.

Thus Saim-Lucster and the Wild Riders of Saim-Hann secure a firm foothold from which to base any land operations they need. And the Wildrider Host took very few Casualties. (1 vyper, 4 Warlocks on JB, 10 Storm Guardians + Warlock, and 6 Fire Dragons including the Exarch {3KP's vs 10KP's}).... Masacre for the Eldar

I will admit that Kii is not nearly as experienced as I am in the ways of battle; but he did get suggestions from some cheerleaders throughout the game, and we discussed tactics for any future game he has vs Eldar... I really didn't think that my army could table a mob of orks; but I had some serious good rolls for saves, and his shooting was poor at best...

I would like to thank Kii for the game, he was a very decent guy to game against, and I appologize for being so brutal (but I was playing for an online Campaign, so the massacre opportunity could not be passed up once things started goin my way).. I would also like to once again thank Dave "the blackshirt" and GW Halifax for providing such a great location for the game, and all the banter.

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:17:56 AM by moc065 »

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
Re: Clan Saim-Lucster (1750pts - competitive Craftworld) Game 2 entered.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »
Saim-lucster strikes again! Good battle, and those were some really nicely painted armies, too.

I was surprised  that your storm guardians survived as long as they did against the odds they faced.
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
Thanks, we actually both expected the Stormies to be a one hit roaster squad... but they did so well with that first round of shooting, that even when he attacked them right after He did shoot and kill 1 first BTW)... the Eldar initiative gave them some more advantage... 10 guys (warlock included) with 2 attacks each, can do ok, even though I needed 5's to woudn in general, I bagged a few, and that ment less of a return... he did drop them down to the Warlock and 2 guys right away... but I got a good LD roll (A funny thing how embolden lets you re-roll and the dice gods gave me a 3 to remain stuck in).. it was funny in the end; but seriously, it would not have mattered... as I could have swamped those few Slugga's with Jetbike fire if I had too, etc....

Biggest mistake of the game, and I never saw it until we were 3 turns in... was that he had p-klaws in the Nob squad only... I asked about it, and he said he didn't have any more and wished to retain WYSWYG (so I gave him a lesson in Choppa-to-klaw conversions which wil help him in the next game I am sure).. I truely believe that all Orks squads should take a nob, PK, and Boss pole as a "No-Brainer" upgrade straight off the bat.

(190) 30 sluggas with nob = decent
(220) 30 sluggas with nob, PK and b-pole = almost scary for most opponets
Do the second squad twice and it is scary...

Thanks once again.

CaHG

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Q
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 11:46:46 AM »
Very nice batreps, moc065.  Thanks for such diligent picture-taking.  :)

All the while I was reading your battle against the Dark Eldar, I kept thinking that you were going to get slaughtered since you were in close combat so much.  You really did an excellent job against an opponent who, in my small experience against them, should have wasted you in melee.  Congratuations!

I also appreciate you including some of these in the campaign thread.  It adds very nicely to the fluff.  Thanks.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Tauir - "The Shadow"

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
@DE Game. Yes, Moc, I agree, the 12" assault is just straight up brutal... ;D

But you did fairly well against him, despite the fact the council got beaten by TWO Talos? That in my mind is very...odd.

Good game, nice batrep.

@Ork Game. He may have overplayed his koptas a bit, or just didn't expect Saim-Hann speed and resilience, but it seemed like he just tossed a bone to the dogs and forgot the rifle to take out the dogs afterword.

And the No Retreat is absolutely nasty vs. Orks. Especially with a seer council.

Thanks for taking all the pictures and writing this up, I hope to hear/see more.
Whoa there.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »
Vs the DE, I got pooched by the WWP; but by playing the mission (and with some luck) I managed a win... were I was behind the eight ball for most of the game. Gary is a wicked player, and I really was lucky to pull off that win.

Vs the Orks, I exploited a relative Noob by making each mistake cost double... and giving up few mistakes in return... He has been using orkz for some time now; but is limited on his conversion skills (being rectified for the Klaws) and going pure WYSIWYG was important to him... (which is nice, as he is a true gamer, not a power player).

I was happy to win; and I need the points for other things, or I would not have been as gross vs the orks (I was overly sick for local play)...

PS> Gary and his twin talos have always had great success vs me, probably since I traded those the firgure to him a while back, and they are getting even for me dumping the DE... (I just couldn't find the figures I wanted to fill the army out, and neither could Gary; but between out two armies he got a decent set of stuff to work with)

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:24:05 AM by moc065 »

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
congradz on the 2 wins moc!

Very nice pictures aswell, i agree some nicly painted armys forsure.

Seems like some good games. when i get some free time we should get another game in. but i dont know when we will be free.

cheers mate
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
Good batrep (as always) moc, and congrats on the Win, also well played as usual. ;)

As you stated, the lack of PK in each squad was a bit of a letdown for your opponent, limiting his choice of targets and eliminating the dangers of Instakill - Hopefully, he'll know what to expect next time and be more dangerous with 'ameliorated' orky gadgets.

It was refreshing to see Nobz NOT in either Mega Armors NOR on Bikes - Shooting them is so much easier that way.

Keep the batreps coming,

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »
Actually I thought that cost wise his nobs with Heavy Armour and in the trukk were possibly better than the Mega nob squad in trukk do to their added numbers, and still having 3 klaws (4 with the boss)...

I don't find it that tough to hammer a Trukk with warboss and 4-5 Mega Nobs in comparison to doing a Trukk with warboss and 10-nobs in Heavy Armour... But that is probably because I am trying to utilize Str=8, Ap=2 weapons anyway (to insta kill the barstitches)... The Mega's have their advantages; but they are disadvantaged as well... The bikers are a totally different story, and just sick so I will avoid discussing them asside from agreeing that it was nice to not be facing them...

@ All... Thanks for the comments guys, and I will try and get another game either this wek or next, hopefully vs SMurf's/CSM; although any different opponent would be neat (long time since I faced Tau, IG, Necron, or Daemons)... so any of those would be a Bonus...

CaHG

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:14 AM »
Well moc065 I must say, your bat reps bring with them the same battle fervor that comes when actually playing against you.

My Smurfs are open for another slaughter ... so far slaughtered by Necrons twice now means little to gaining some more experience. However... the challenge will have to wait due my unfortunate job requirements. And maybe a little bit more time to finish more of my painting... LOL

As usual your painting is fantastic and the paint schemes on your opponents were very well done as well. See you around HFX and I hope my Smurfs fair better then yoru other opponents.

Cheers

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #16 on: May 6, 2009, 09:31:49 AM »
OK, the list is still active; but I have only been able to get some Batrep up through use of Diagrams... Anyway, Camera is better now, so the next BatRep should be coming soon.. Very Soon.. as I have a game scheduled for tomorrow.

Oh and as for the tournie... the list went Draw (vs Necrons), Win (Massacre vs Eldar), Win (Massacre vs Blood Angels)... and that gave it the overall top spot.. Woot.. Although many players dropped out, so it was pretty small for tournie size...

I will also be giving a very updated synopsis on my feelings for the list, and how to improve it overall.

Rundown of the components and the list...

Autarch = As always, awesome when assaulting, meh otherwise; but a keeper, as his Reserve bonus and potential are huge.
Farseer = Pure Awesome, the ability to Fortune is insane as it saved me at least 10 casualties per game. OK, not so great vs the Necrons; but had I passed that one LD test, he could have been golden. I would love to give her Mindwar and stones as well; but where would I steal 40 pts to do it with ?
Fire Dragons = I think they got at least two good rounds of shooting in for every match, so they worked great, and always helped where and when needed, I will not leave home without them. I have also seen them be the turning point in too many games to consider ditching them.. Pure Awesome if used well.
Stormies = Often under-estimated (not be me) and although they had they off momments; they did something each game and they are cheap... Am I impressed, not really; but there is not much else for me to use and get their potential... as when they worked (vs Eldar and Orks) they worked incredibly well.
Serpent = Love it, fast, decent shooting and resilient enough for me... It did go down (remember not to use it to Shock an MC, etc) but overall it normally lasted long enough to get the job done, adn the BrightLances were pure gold in many games.
Jetbikes = Still love them... Yes I babied them for the most part by starting in reserves; but it sort of goes part in parcel with the List, and they did contribute to every match, slowly taking down Necron Warriors, or keeping Skimmers shaken, or slowly taking out Imperial Armour... They always helped and they were more resilient than most people would have thought.
Vypers = OK, where to start... I think I lost 1 or both in most matches; but before they went, they always did something. I still like them a lot, and the EML range is good enough to really help in their usage. They were not uber, but they are cheap and in general provided more than they gave up. They also provided two FA units to help set the balanced tone for the list.
Falcon = As a delivery ship it was pure awesome, as it was more reliable than the lunch hour whistle. Shooting, well, even when I minimized its moves to get a krak as well as the Pulse, it just wasn't great, as if failed to hit/wound a little too often; but that is partly due to my poor dice. I won't discuss the Frag scatter, as I don't think that I ever rolled a "Hit" with it, and at best got 2 potential wounds that were to easily saved. Overall though, its a definate keeper, as it really does help the List function, and overall it sucked up as many shots as it put out, which does help too.

The list is not a No-Brainer, and I got better with it as times went on... so I do recommend to alway practice your lists...

I also found the list was really fun to use (even after several games), and there were always new things to develop with it... Like my Stormies actually surviving a match (twice now btw)... Same goes for both Vypers (twice as well, although I usually did save one)... and believe it or not... the Wildriders have been completely wasted in a game of two, so they are not no-brainers to simply throw at th enemy... Starky asked me what I would change in the list so here it is...
  • If I have another 100pts to spend, I would get Mindwar and Stones for Saim-Lir as she needs to have the "pick-out" abilty vs some guys... and one more Warlock on JB with a Destructor for the Council would be a serious asset vs many armies...
  • As for at this level; well, it has its issues; but I love the way it feels on the battle field (and in real life the figures look awe-some)... so until I get a few more games with it... well its staying the same.

CaHG
« Last Edit: May 6, 2009, 06:26:02 PM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Another BatRep
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »
Hey guys, another BatRep for you but this is sort of the re-match as th0r wanted a little revenge after our first game (since his return)... In the first Game th0r's Eldar did well enough; but the list needed slight tweeks, and his deployment and playstyle also needed some work, so he asked me for another game to test his new and improved list and theories. I jumped at the chance to game vs thor again as he really is a great guy, but I really love to use my Eldar, so I broke out my standard Saim-Hann Jetbiker list, and away we went...

Here are the lists.

Vanilla Hybrid Eldar (Th0r ~~ Tristan)

HQ - Avatar
HQ - Farseer, Fortune, Doom, Stones, RoWard
EL - 10 Banshees, Ex with Executioner.
----  Wave Serpent, TL-Brightlances and Stones.     
TR - 10 Dire Avengers, Ex with DAC and Bladestorm.
TR - 10 Dire Avengers, Ex with DAC and Bladestorm.
TR - 5 Dire Avengers.
TR - 12 Guradians, Scatterlaser, Spiritseer with Embolden.
TR - 12 Guradians, Scatterlaser, Spiritseer with Embolden.
HS - Falcon, EML, HF, and stones.
HS - Wraithlord, EML, BL and 2 flamers.
HS - Wraithlord, EML, BL and 2 flamers.

1750ish pts, 5 SU's, 12KP's, and 65 Figures

Saim-Lucster's Wildriders (moc065 ~ Ken)

HQ - Autarch; jetbike, laserlance, mandiblaster & fusion gun
HQ - Farseer; jetbike, RoWarding, RofWitness & fortune
----- 8 Warlocks; jetbikes, 2 embolden, 2 enhance
EL -  6 Fire Dragons; Exarch with DBF and CS
TR - 7 Jetbikes; 2 cannons, warlock with embolden and Spear
TR - 5 Jetbikes; 1 cannons, warlock with embolden and Spear
TR - 10 Storm Guardians; 2 flamers, warlock with Embolden and Spear
----- 1 Waveserpent; twin linked Brightlances and stones
FA - 1 Vyper - EML & Shuri-can
FA - 1 Vyper - EML & Shuri-can
HS - 1 Falcon; EML, holo-fields, stones.

1,749pts, 3 SU's, 11 KP's and 43 figures.

Now our first game was with 2 mission objecctives and we rolled for that again; but since the rule book is only a guide, we decided to have a re-roll and th0r got a 6, so Annihilation or Kill Points it would be. This looked to be a good match for the two armies as they had 12 ans 11 KP's each (pretty even). And where th0r had the numbers, resilience, and volume on his side, the Saim-Hann had their speed and precision to help them try and carry the day. I rolled for deployment and got the dreaded Dawn of War (this is not great for my Saim-Hann as I really do prefer to get my entire HQ and other things on the table to start with).. the Roll off had th0r winning and he chose to take first turn...

We then had a little banter about why the two Eldar armies were facing off, th0r said that it probably had something to do with how much the Saim-Hann SUCK !!; and of course, with the gauntlet dropped, the Jetbikers kicked over their engines, and vowed to slap him silly, or maybe a little, or at least die well trying to do so... Woot game starts with a good laugh as th0r and I are both Grizzled Vets, so there was not need to worry about silly stuff, this would be purely for an insane amount of Fun !!

Deployment

He sets his Avatar and one squad of Dire Avengers dead center in terrain to exploit cover saves and his "fearless" bubble while a squad of Gaurdians are put in cover on the left flank with the rest of the list to arrive on turn 1 from table edge.. Wow, so many bad options for me (as I have to stay 18" away from him, and a single HQ choice or the Troops are not optimal for my list to set up)... that I simply decide to put the 2 Jetbike units in "full" reserve and have the rest of the army comein on turn 1, from the table edge.

Ok, so 23 attempts to steel the initiative without success, so I decided to give it a rest, and simply not even try to steel anymore... so th0r goes straight into;

Turn 1a

th0r has his Farseer, Gaurdians, and 1 Wraithlord come into ther bushes behind his Avatar group, his other Warithlord and Wave Serpetn full of Banshees goes over with his other Gaurdian squad, while his Falcon/DA and other Dire Avenger squad takes up possition on the Right flank.. He has all his bases pretty well covered as his army is 4 groups that all have pretty equal threat priorty for me (not bad th0r, and it made me think).

Turn 1b

So I have option on one flank or the other, and decide that the Falcon bothers me the most, as wel las his DA, as their mass firepower vs Jetbikes can be rude. My Wilderiders go in 12" on the Right Flank, with the Falcon/FD, both Vyper and Serpent/Storm being a little more central to gain LOS on his Wraithlord (before the Fortune shield went up). Shooting... with 2 Pulse, 3 EML Krak's, TL-BL, and 6 Shuri-cannon shots into the Wraithlord... tada... Shuri-cannons were short of range, and all the rest either missed or failed to wound (he didn't even have to roll for his cover saves); Now thats Impressive Eldar shooting for you. So I use the JB assault move to advance the Wildriders and they all once again pass their Dangerous Terrain tests (well its not that tough as the IC's have Skilled Rider, and the Warlock still have an Invul save to help them too).

Score:
thor's Vanilla Hybrid = 0
moc065's Wildriders = 0

Turn 2a

th0r advances his fearless bubble to gain LOS and range on the Wildriders, he also manouvred his Right Flank to gain LOS on them as well, and I think he might have adjusted his Serpent a little, but that was it.. (I then reminded him about his Psy Powers, and let him decide to roll them or not ~ hell its a game for Fun remember). He fortunes his Wraithlord and tries to Doom the Wildrider (almost takes perils of the warp buthis Ghosthelm negates it), and then finds out the Wildriders were outta range anyway... So on to some shooting... Standard DA shooting Central at the Wildriders kills a Warlock, the Scatter laser and Wraithlord combined explodes a Vyper, and then his Right flank unloads with the Falcon, and both DA squads to put a wound on the Autarch and kill 3 more Warlocks (man I wish I had Fortune working, as this is what alwasy hurts me in Dawn of War set-up ~ at least I passed my LD test to stay in the fight). His Serpent and other Scatterlaser were a little short on range or failed to damage my Falcon, and since he had no potential to assault me (thank God), he passed the turn over to me.

Turn 2b

OK, Fortune Shield up on the Wildriders, and the Large Jetbike Squad comes in 12" Dead center from reserves to gain LOS on the fearless bubble. The Wildriders advance toward the Falcon, and the skimmer armada shifts a little to Gain LOS, etc. In shooting the Wildriders (autarch fusion is great btw) fail to scratch the Falcon. The Jetbikers use their 2 Shuri-cannons and 5 sets of Shuri-catipults to dish out a whopping 3 casualties on th0r's DA (making saves and laughing as he went along). The Skimmer Armada decides to shift target and blasts away at his Serpent, but even with 2 Pulse, 2 EML Krak's, and the TL-BL's they either miss or fail to even scratch it (two rounds of near useless but still purely Awesome Eldar shooting for me ~ woot). Oh well, that sucked hard... but not one to complain I decided to assault move the JB's back and by the bushes to at least get some cover saves, while the Wildriders plow into th0r's Falcon... about 9-10 Pens later (witchblades are sick vs Vehicles due to rear armour) the Falcon is a smoking pile of rubble, but nothing else dies and the Wildriders only consol 1" so their painted with a Huge Sign reading "Shoot here next th0r".

Note that the Banshees and Falcon to the right in the Picture are actually in the Assembly area, as the battlefield edge is right by that small blast marker and Blue Tac, ok..

Score:
thor's Vanilla Hybrid = 1
moc065's Wildriders = 1

The game is tied so far... but the Wildriders are in serious trouble, as are my Jetbikers and maybe even the Skimmer Armada, as th0r's mid and longe range shooting can be pretty awesome.

Turn 3a

th0r forgets to use Psy powers again; but I remind him... so Wraithlord stays Fortuned, and the Wildriders are DOOMED. He then advanced his Right Flank and the fearless bubble to optimize his shooting potentail (and looking back on this, he might have wanted to starthis Wraithlords advance as well, but thats iffy). OK so about 1 million bullets later the Jetbikers are reduced to 3 guys, the vyper is immobilized (good thing I only moved it 6"), my serpent is shaken, and amazingly the Wildriders still have the Autarch (1), Farseer (1), 1 Emb Warlock and an Enhance Warlock, so into CC the Large Dire Avenger squad goes. Loads of dice later, the DA loose 3 dudes, and the Wildriders loose both Warlocks, th0r passes his LD test so its a Sustained Combat.

Turn 3b

The Wildrider Fortune shield remains intact, and the small Jetbike squad arrives from Reserves and take up possition centrally. I then advance the other Jetbikers towards the fearless bubble, my Falcon/FD drives up the Left flank, my Serpent goes Flat Out up the Left Flank but I give it a little spin to set up for some potential next turn even if it dies get wasted. Shooting was fast as the 2 Pulse lasers finally hit something and actually wound the Left Warithlord, the Vyper misses with eveything (as usual), and all the Jetbikers reduce his central DA to 2 remaining figures. The 3 remaining Jetbikes from that squad then assault and the CC ends in a draw with zero casualties. The other 5 man Jetbike squad tucks in behind the CC for some safety (I forgot about his Avatar hiding in the ruin), and the Wildriders kill some more DA but the Autarch and Farseer both take anouther wound as well; CC was a draw.

Score:
thor's Vanilla Hybrid = 2
moc065's Wildriders = 1

The game is a little in thor's favour on paper 2-1; and I am thinking to myself that I really am in a bad possiton for some things, so I need a bit of luck (or least a few shooting dice to actually hit something ~ OK, I need a lot of luck, and I need it now).

CaHG
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:11:53 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »

psike... I said I needed some luck.. so I took a 10 second break from the game to check out the game on the next table... Where Dave "The Blackshirt" had his SMurf's facing off vs his nemesis Ed "The Blackshirts Brother" and his Ork mob. Take a close look at the figures if you can, as both these guys have amazing armies, fully painted, etc, etc...

OK, now that I have my head outta my but, I come back to my game with a quick prayer to the Dice Gods (not really, but it adds flavour to the BatRep)... I did need to take a few seconds to remind myself that the game is for Fun though, so winning isn't everything... Told myself to have Fun, and let the dice decide what happens.

Turn 4a

th0r takes another Perils so there was no Fortune on the Wraithlord this turn, and he decides to not even bother trying to Doom the Wildriders, as they only have 1 wound left anyway, and he was not impressed with the 2 perils already (ghosthelm saved him both times, but I thinkhe got scared). He starts finally advance his Farseer, Gaurdians and Wraithlord out of the bushes and towards the action. His Avatar pops out from the building and has prime location to assault my 5 Jetbikes, while his Serpent lines up for another shooting phase into my Falcon/FD. Shooting pretty well sucked for him as most stuff missed its target or bounced off, but he did take the TL-BL's off of my Serpent/Storm. So into CC he went with the Avatar, and in some insane act of the Dice Gods, he actually failed to kill a single Jetbiker... they didn't do anything in return; but they lived, so I was happy enough... The JB and DA assault central was a joke as nothing changed either. And he also fired the other Dire Avenger squad into my Wildriders but in the end the Wildriders made their saves and managed to kill a couple more DA (all Tests passed again).

Turn 4b

Fortune shield remains on the Wildriders (well it was working so far to help keep them alive). I dis-embark and move the Stormies toward the Gaurdians in the bush. My Serpent then moves up his Serpent Nose to Nose in a Face off for fun factor, and my Falcon wips over to the Left Flank to gain a better LOS on its target. Note that wound dice on his Wraithlord, so they are not impregnable ~ hazaa. Then note the lack of his Gaurdian Squad as the two Flamers, Spear, and 8 Pistol shots evaporated them almost instantly ~ hazaa. Close comabt is retarded again, as the Avatar kills 2 Jetbikers but they pass their LD to stay in the fight, and the Wildriders kill off another DA; and once gain pass their saves (th0r passed his LD's again too)

Score:
thor's Vanilla Hybrid = 2
moc065's Wildriders = 2

The game is not tied again, as my Stormies evened the score for me; but I am still in serious CC trouble, and can't believe that my guys have been so resilient so far.

Turn 5a

th0r is less than impressed with my Roasting of his entire squad, throws caution to the wind and Fortune his Wraith Lord once again, then tries to Doom the Wildrider; but my Runes of Warding cause another Perils on him (he didn't realize that his Emboldened Spiritseer actually allowed him to re-roll his psy powers, and I forgot, as I didn't remember all of his list), anyway, the ghosthelm negated it again so into movement he went. Farseer, Gaurdians and Wraithlord advance on the Wildriders while his Wraithlord goes for the stormies, and the serpent/banshees moves over and unloads the girsl in prep to run through my Stormies next turn. In shooting my Stormies get hammered a bit (only lost 3 to flamers, etc) but they break and start to run off the table (which was actually good, as this prevented them from getting assaulted). All other shooting continued to be a joke as it missed or bounced of its target (both th0r and I were haveing one of those Awesome Eldar Shooting days). CC went good and bad, the Avatar pounded the 3 remaining JB's into the dirt (Splat), then his central DA's both died to my Jetbikers; but they did take one out first, and one more JB died to Dangerous Terrain as they tried to consol outta the area. And once again the Wildrider CC dragged on as more DA died and both my characters made all their saves.

Turn 5b

Fortune shield stays up (and the Runes of Whitness really did help in this regard btw). So what to move, well the Stormies were auto fleeing still, so another 7" back they go. The Falcon pops over and unloads the FD's in sight of the Banshees (th0r does a facepalm saying something like.. "That exarch has Bragons Breth Flamer and Crackshot, doesn't she", I respond with a "Y - E - S , and this might hurt you just a little" ~ hazaa). And then I pop my last Jetbiker over for a chance to throw at his Serpent, oh and I moved my Serpent way into his area to get LOS with the Catipults on his Gaurdians (well actually I was just being anoying as this move forced him to move his dice, but it was part of the fun, and it did have some potential). Shoting went very well for the Fire Dragons, with the DBF insta-roasting 8-10 banshees (without Crackshot btw)... th0r removed the whole squad as I rolled some more dice (he had the Exarch left befor the fusion shots went off, but that didn't last long). The rest of my shooting was abismal (or normal for this game), and on to CC we went yet again. The Wildriders killed off a coupl emore DA (one per squad) and although the Exarch managed to reamin in combat, the other 4 (from other squad) actually failed their LD and started running.

Score:
thor's Vanilla Hybrid = 3
moc065's Wildriders = 4

OK, the Saim-Hann eek out ahead, and th0r rolled for game continue-ation last time, so I rolled for it this time... Poof, a 2 pops out and the game ends here... Crap as we were having fun.

With the Saim-Hann enjoying a very Minor Victory. We then have a few small discussions and start to congratulate each other on the good moves, and laugh about the bad ones... th0r played a better game than me, and his list actually has some serious threats that I have trouble to deal with at the best of times, so I do feel I got a bit of late game Horseshoe action to pull this win off. But you know what, I'll take the win anyway, because luck is part of the game, and we were playing for Fun, so I think we both Won in the End.

Psike again...

At this point we through the rule book out the window (well actually over by Dave and Ed's game) and decided that we would game purely for the fun factor of it. Besides, no-one not even my wants a Win by Luck.

I won't go into the rest of it but here are the highlights... Wraithlord goes into Wildriders CC and does absolutley nothing vs the Fortune Invul saves.. but take no wounds even after the fearless roll for death of that DA exarch from my Autarch. Avatar plows into the Fire Dragons, and once again does little only killing 2 (he speared on in shooting first), and the FD's remain in CC after they actually wound the Avatar. We then did a 7th turn, and at the end of that, we were once again tied in score (unbeilable) although the Avatar did kill off my FD's and his Warithlord killed my last remaingin Jetbiker (After taking another wound), but I got his Serpent with a Rear shot from my Falcons Pulse...

Here are a couple more pics; but they were taken randomly.. just for the cool factor of it...

Once again I would like to thank GW Halifax for letting us use their facility, and for letting us act a little retarded from time to time (store was almost empty), as well as making sure that I once again made a purchase before leaving... (those SM scouts will be getting some conversions done for a friend ASAP so thanks for reminding me that I needed more stuff). Oh and lastly (certainly not least) I wish to thank Triston (th0r) for another great gaming experience.. And yes he is more than welcome to try again, as officially I did win ~ hazaa.

CaHG
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:59:50 AM by moc065 »

Offline ImmortalHunter

• Fear the Psyker, kill the mutant!
Thanks moc, been lurking for a while and have enjoyed most (if not all) of your BatRep's.