News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Mech 2000pts  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Solipsism Rent

Eldar Mech 2000pts
« on: December 1, 2008, 05:01:45 AM »
Background: Yme-Loc is a little known craftworld and as such allows creativity. The few things known about them is that they are talented artisans and are supported by many grav tanks.
As such I've gone for a mech army with highly trained individuals as explained below.

Having the fluff of artisans we can assume that they are very relentless in achieving perfection, or close to it. Against popular (if you can call Yme-loc popular) thoughts on other forums I take this to mean that
what ever they path they choose will be very dedicated and advanced.
As Eldar percieve war as an art form and many freely choose the aspects as furthering their path, I envisage many aspect warriors, similar to a swordwind. However by listing them as artisans and not all on the military path as Beil tan, it allows it to be non exclusive, but rather an opened the door for other types of training.
Yme-Loc closely follows closely that of Beil tan's swordwind with one exception. It allows non aspect units to fight aswell.

Guardians in fluff are all skilled in a single non military path and then trained in warfare as a home guard would be, used to defend the craftworld as a last resort. They would be artisans in their own right, but with so many aspects available I don't think they would consider putting them on the front line first as such I have not wanted to include them into the build. Did the ancient Greek put their finest pot makers and poets into wars instead of their highly trained military? 

What can be used however is those who train to a more advanced standard then regular guardians. Jet bike squads, warwalkers and pilots of the grav tanks would all fit this bill.

The idea of this force will be utilizing the two Autarchs to bring in my whole force in from reserve on turn two hopefully, bringing the warwalkers on in their deployment zone and forcing them to either react to the very near threat or on that of the closing in skimmers as a pincer. The serpents will move to the warwalkers side of the board, covered by the prisms who will only move 12" and fire.
The jet bikes will spend the first round behind the cover of serpents then the 3rd turn il bring my fire to bear
Fitting in with fluff two autarchs would be perfect as they are highly trained in many forms of art. I would have liked to take a farseer but didnt think it would work too well with a mech army (being that you had to be on the table to cast most powers which denys the use till turn 3)

HQ

Autarch on Jetbike, maniblaster, and laser lance       130Pts

Yriel                                                                    155Pts

Elites

10 x striking scorpions. Exarch with claw                 187
Wave Serpent w/ scatter lasers & spirit stone          125

Troops

10 Dire avengers, exarch w/dual asc & bladstorm      152
Wave Serpent w/ Bright lances & spirit stone            125

10 Dire avengers, exarch w/PW & SS, Bladestorm & defend  177
Wave Serpent w/ scatterlasers & spirit stone                       125

6 Guardian Jetbikes w/ 2 shuriken cannons                205
Warlock on bike w/singing spear & embolden

Fast Attack

4 Shining spears w/exarch, star lance & withdrawal     192

Heavy Support

3 Warwalkers w/ 2 scatter lasers each                     180

FirePrism                                                              115

Tactics
HQ

Autarchs:

Unless against Orks/tyranids they are always to all start in reserve coming in turn 2 hopefully on a 2+
All the force works with synergy, striking in one place and using speed and precise aggression focused then a quick redeployment before a counter attack.

YRIEL:
(This is where my fluff is broken, I really wanted to take a regular autarch but their just not that good in combat unless they have a lance and using a power weapon singing spear works very well)
I plan to highly convert my Yriel character and rename him, using him as a *Counts as*

Elites

Scorpions:
The Mobile anvil, move these to soak in the blows allowing lesser cc units to provide covering fire while these munch through they opposition, If further help is required the spears can assist

Troops

Dire Avengers

Dire avengers work in tandum, always keeping the unit with Yriel and defend closest to the enemy, inviting the opponant to attack what looks like a reasonably weak unit in CC, with a nasty surprise.
The avenger shuirken catapults will deal out a reasonable about of damage, with bladestorm as a last resort against hordes/hight save models.
Defend will loose the enemy an attack in the assault phase and between Yriel, the exarch and the height initiative of the rest of the squad very little will be around to force wounds.

If all else fails il use the Yriel bomb tactic.

Guardian Jetbikes & warlock
Generally to snipe with their shuirken cannons, these can be used as an effective anti tank unit as they can maneuver to get to the rear armour and use the warlocks spear, when all else fails it can be charged in. It will be critical to keep these guys alive for objective contenders in the last phase.
Fast attack

Shining Spears

Coupled with the Autarch on the jetbike these guys can inflict a great deal of damage on the charge, and are very good at tank hunting aswell. The key will be keeping them away from damage until they are needed, not charged unless im sure I will win combat and with hit and run as a last resort. These will be the main hammer of the army, and what a hammer!* 
12 str 6/3 strength 8 powerweapon attacks, 10 strength 4 shots or 5 strength 6/8 shots with lance weapons.

Heavy Support

Warwalkers

As described above, these can produce a large amount of fire power, and will be a squad which can not be ignored, which im banking on to keep the skimmers alive longer

Fire prisms
Focused shots for armour/ dispersed for hordes

All together this force is very flexible, designed to react the the largest threat, hit hard and then remount up and move to the next nearest threat while being able to dish out alot of fire power on the move. Used correctly almost every squad has a chance of finishing off an opponents unit, and if this fails there is another unit to assist. One unit gone is better then two units down to half size and not fleeing.

The list was designed so against horde armies distance can be used with the shuirken cannons, fire prisms and scatter lasers, whilst being able to handle MEQs at their own game effectively. By only hitting one section at a time you are likely to eliminate a part of your opponents plan which is essential and then by the time a reaction can be oranised the force has moved somewhere else.

If all else fails, it will be a great last stand between the wrecked hulls of my skimmers.

13 Kill points
3 strong Scoring units ----All mounted and for the most part very well protected
8 Vehicles

Only thing that may change after a few more games of play testing is to swap in a farseer for Yriel and see how it does/
« Last Edit: December 3, 2008, 08:07:26 AM by DarkStar86 »
Quote from: Jwolf;3027383
I think, if we could simply all accept the obvious wisdom of Darkstar2586 on this matter, this discussion would be over and Warseer, nay, the ENTIRE WORLD would be a better place for it.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Eldar Mech 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2008, 07:19:42 AM »
This list looks rock solid, I was expecting some Hawks with 2 autarchs.
I would probably put Yriel with the scorpions unless using shadowstrike, it's conferred upon the serpent, but either way is fine.
Try to fit another shining spear model.

I do feel the need to add my usual complains and some questions:
- Shadowstrike for the scorpions?
- Why does everyone bring shuriken cannons for their jetbikers?, are they trying to mimic rapid fire? There must be a reason for eldar not to use rapid fire weapons. (I want stormies on bikes)
- The star lance is odd, and won't do much more than the ordinary lance except possibly vs vehicles which still isn't their primary target, is it?
- Unless the scatter lasers gives you a superior strategic advantage I would never take them over the shuriken cannons on war walkers, with their current point cost.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Solipsism Rent

« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »
- Hawks are a good suggestion and would utilize the autarch x2 aspect, however I find them over priced for what they are, and with substandard guns. If warp spiders can toat around with str.6 weapons, then why not hawks?

"I would probably put Yriel with the scorpions unless using shadowstrike, it's conferred upon the serpent, but either way is fine."

Done but will run the DA squad with SS near it in case of MC tarpit.

"Try to fit another shining spear model."

not enough points atm, but with 4 Shining spears and an autarch another SS will just be a wound

- Shadowstrike for the scorpions?
Not really necessary as they have a transport, but It would be useful for the outflanking into their deployment. However it cant be used with the Autarch can it?

Jetbikes best ability is to move in the assault phase, and jetbikes will be an ideal sniping unit with those two SC. Which can double for last minute objective grabbers and using the warlock to take on tanks

- Star lance I can understand with it not being liked, I will use them for tank hunting if the dedicated anti tank fails or is destroyed, as they are now an awesome anti tank unit. And the star lance will be used for MC & Tanks...although if the tank survived the other str6 hits then it would be a miracle :P

- Unless the scatter lasers gives you a superior strategic advantage I would never take them over the shuriken cannons on war walkers, with their current point cost.

I agree here also, however if against tyranids/orks you need all the shooting you can get, and that extra few inches stops them from being shot at by small arms fire if needed
Quote from: Jwolf;3027383
I think, if we could simply all accept the obvious wisdom of Darkstar2586 on this matter, this discussion would be over and Warseer, nay, the ENTIRE WORLD would be a better place for it.

Offline Zemanova

• Builder of Pyramids - Herder of Cats
« Reply #3 on: December 1, 2008, 08:13:06 AM »
I would always recomend taking Jetbike cannons, the greater range & strength assists their pop up attacks while the higher strength allows for more reliability against light or rear armour.

I'd put Yriel with one squad of Avengers. Scorpions can typically look after themselves.
Hot from the temple of the Flaming Lips. Craftworld Glamour Puss

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2008, 07:06:21 AM »
HQ
Autarch on Jetbike, maniblaster, and laser lance       130Pts
Yriel                                                                    155Pts

Elites
10 x striking scorpions. Exarch with claw                 187
Wave Serpent w/ scatter lasers & spirit stone          125

Troops
10 Dire avengers, exarch w/dual asc & bladstorm      152
Wave Serpent w/ Bright lances & spirit stone            125
10 Dire avengers, exarch w/PW & SS, Bladestorm & defend  177
Wave Serpent w/ scatterlasers & spirit stone                       125
6 Guardian Jetbikes w/ 2 shuriken cannons                205
Warlock on bike w/singing spear & embolden

Fast Attack
4 Shining spears w/exarch, star lance & withdrawal     192

Heavy Support
3 Warwalkers w/ 2 scatter lasers each                     180

Check the math on your BL wave Serpent, as its a little light right now, or it should read a TL-Scatterlaser

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential OK, here I see a serious lack in some regards as there is almost no reliable ranged Anti-tank and there are several ways to get this at very low cost. Examples would be a Fusion Gun for the JB Autarch, Brightlances for the Serpents, all of which could be done through some selective pruning elsewhere. It does make up for this with some other items; but they are few and/or unreliable. So overall I rate this as Slightly below Average (0.5 )
2.. Anti-MEQ potential Not a whole lot of dedicated Anti-Meq; but I do see some very nice and handy massed firepower, etc etc... so overall I rate it as Average (0.6 )
3.. Anti-Horde potential Now here I do see some decent things going on, and this might even be considered one of the strong points of the list. So overall I rate this as Good (0.8 )
4.. Ranged Firepower potential Ok its not screaming Ranged firepower; but it has a very decent amount of long and medium ranged firepower with some nice combo's available to it, and Serpents to get stuff on sight as needed. So overall I rate this as Good (0.8 )
5.. Assault potential Here I see soem really good things and some things that could be tweeked easily (such as Skilled Rider for the Shining Spears)... the list also has some decent "Holding" potential to go with its really good CC options, so overall I rate this is Good (0.8 )
6.. Scoring Units / point level Now it does have 3 nice Scoring units; but they are not that resilient (Embolden, Serpents, and Autarchs joining DA do help) and they will often get hunted out ASAP.. Thus I only rate this as Average (0.6 )
7.. Durability or Resilience I just toughed on this a little; but other units lack here as well, simple things like Stones on the Fireprisms actually do help a fair bit, and their not that cost expensive... So overall I rate this as Average (0.6 )
8.. Flexability I do see some nice otions in Flexability (+2 on Reserve Rolls may be huge in some cercumstances), its also highly mobile, with decnet numbers across the board... so overall I do think that it could react to almost any army out there with some options, and I rate it it as Above Average (0.7 )
9.. Mission Capabiliy 13 KP's is not massive at this points level, and it does have decent options to Score as well as prevent scoring, so overall I actually think the list is realy good for vertually any mission.. thus I rate it as Very Good (0.9 )
10. Dynamics and/or Theme Well, the opt mentioned that he broke the theme himself with Yriel; but otherwise I actually see it fitting into the Mech Scheme of things very well, and its certainly close to the Yme-Loc  that he described.... Its also pretty functional overall although it could use a few minor tweeks to be more competitive. Thus I rate it as Good (0.8 )

Rating = 7.1/10 Others may rate it differently; but I see this a very good "Fun" list that will be interesting for both players and keep the user interested for quite a while... I do however see slight improvements on virtually every unit and therefore would not rate it as a Competitive List.

Now within the rating, here is how I score things:

Excellent (1): This area is completely covered, as there is virtually no way to improve it without seriously effecting other areas.
Very Good (.9): This area is completely covered; but there are slight modifications or configurations that could be improved on without seriously effecting other areas of the list.
Good (.8 ): This areas is covered well enough as altering it would effect other areas in some adverse way.
Above Average (.7): This area is well covered; but there are a few ways to improve it without damaging other areas.
Average (.6): The area is covered enough for "Fun" play; but there are often several ways to improve it, without damaging the rest of the list.
Slightly Below Average (.5): The area is covered to some extent; but in an indirect way, and it easily be improved on.
Below Average (.4): The area is lacking in several regards, and should be improved on to increase the overall effect of the list.
Well Below Average (.3): The area is basically not covered, or is configured in a way to be in-effective overall.
Poor (.2): The area is virtually non-existant and should be addressed immediately.
Horrible (.1): The area has been ommited and the list suffers dramatically because of it.

CaHG
« Last Edit: December 3, 2008, 12:01:43 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering