News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Question on Assulting from a Webway Portal  (Read 1489 times)

Offline ShadowViper40K

• Alternate Realitys Rock!!!
Question on Assulting from a Webway Portal
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
Hi,

I have been looking over some tactics articles on the web and came across something I did not realize with Webway portals.  I am very new to the game and so far have been fielding more of a shooty DE army.  I was somewhat turned off by thoughts of using a webway army because I, for some reason, thought that models coming out of the webway could not assault in the turn they came through the portal. 

After reading some tactics articles and then re-reading the reserves rule it appears that models coming out of a webway act as models coming in from your table edge from reserves.  These models are allowed to move, shoot and attack as normal.  Only models that deepstrike are not allowed to move or assault as specifically identified under the deepstrike rule.  Following this logic I believe that the tactics articles are correct in that you can move your characters from reserve through the portal up to their move distance and then they get to shoot and assault as normal since they are considered to have come in from reserve at a table edge and are not counted as having deepstriked onto the board.

Is this correct? If so I can now see a lot more advantages to webway portals  :)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: Question on Assulting from a Webway Portal
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »
That is correct. They treat the portals edge exactly as you would a board edge for reserves moving onto the board. Therefore, as we can move, shoot, and assault coming onto the table from the edge of the board, we can move shoot and assault coming out of a WWP.

Cheers
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
  • Ask me for the DE True Type Font
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:34:08 PM »
Question answered.

Offline Skari

• "I will enjoy drinking out of your skull"
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
yup, WWP = portable table edge for anything not in a tank.

In table quarters it opens up the 3/4 of the table.
In Dawn of war it cuts the distances in half for walking units.
In Pitched battle it can overload a flank, or act as an anchor, or spearhead.

It is also impassable and blocks LOS- giving cover...making other units go around it, etc. Tactical uses are very varied and having one in a list is nothing to sneeze at.