News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Artcore's Army Diary - Ultramarines  (Read 27240 times)

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
Re: Artcore's Army Diary - Ultramarines
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »
I gotta run, but definitely had to say that I totally dig the alter and the whirlwind launcher.  Sweet stuff!
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #61 on: March 5, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
So, I've been buying quite a lot of stuff lately... the LS Typhoon, the LS Storm, the Librarian, 2 boxes of DA Vets, a tactical squad, shoulder pads, Vulkan & Pedro Kantor.

Also I bought the Ultramarines Omnibus which I'm reading now and enjoying a lot! It was about time to get some more knowledge about their background.

My big project right now is my 10 men squad of Sternguard Veterans. I use the DA Vets for them but I'm trying to avoid/file away the DA icons.

I am so done with those fricking decals I decided to buy some real shoulder pads. I ordered 10 of these at Chapterhouse:

At GW I ordered 10 of these:

Also ordered a couple of these from CH for some future Marines:

Yesterday I made the bases for the first 5 Sternguards:

Also on the picture are 5 Tactical People. They are from the AoBR Paint Set of which I bought 2 boxes at an online sale. The nice thing is: they have both Tactical and Ultramarine markers on their shoulder pads!

And some minor progress on painting:

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #62 on: March 5, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »
DA vets definitely make for some kickass looking elite models.  For my sternguard (that I don't just use from my previous edition veterans that are mostly kitted out veterans and tyrranid hunters) I made a deathwatch team so actually have a DA vet, as well as some space wolves, a blood angel, etc.

Did you specifically use the GW type modeling stones for the bases?  Or at least all the basing material they always have right next to the GW wracks.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2010, 04:00:06 PM »
Very nice, Artcore.  I especially like the konversions.  :)

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
Thanks NewHeretic! Too bad I bought/modeled/converted so much now that there's a whole bunch of models to paint... on top of the Land Raider, Terminators, Vanguards etc. that still have to be finished someday. But, tonight I'm painting again (TV on Champions League, painting my mini's :) )

Vulkan and the shoulderpads have arrived by mail :) so I'm ready to make the coolest Sternguards ever  8)

And some progress on the fluff area: I've finished reading the first book of the Ultramarines Omnibus: very nice stuff.

@ Algavinn:
No, I only use GW's modeling sand for the bases. The rocks are from 'Ziterdes' and the flat stones are from GaleForce Hobby Scenics. I bought these at a rather vague LGS but I'm sure you can find them on the net.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
Im pretty sure Galeforce is what I tend to buy for my base materials, so I know which ones those are.  Thanks.

I'm just jealous you have the time to paint.  My vindicator has been just a days work from being finished for 6 months.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
Have you considered, before you finish assembling and painting, two things about Sternguard/DA vets.

1) Have you been sure you remove all Dark Angels iconography. With the open robes its kinda hard to remove the sword from the wings, so I'd leave that, but the bolters have some distinct Dark Angels stuff on them, and the chestpieces have some iconography on some of the closed robes.

2) Your bolters need to be more awesome, I reckon. Any chance you could spruce them up with drum magazines ripped from Terminator storm bolters, or targetters, or whatever?

Offline Artcore

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
I'm just jealous you have the time to paint.  My vindicator has been just a days work from being finished for 6 months.

Yeah, I have some good time to paint now and then. It's due to the fact that I'm a student & musician so I'm flexible with my time.

1) Have you been sure you remove all Dark Angels iconography. With the open robes its kinda hard to remove the sword from the wings, so I'd leave that, but the bolters have some distinct Dark Angels stuff on them, and the chestpieces have some iconography on some of the closed robes.

2) Your bolters need to be more awesome, I reckon. Any chance you could spruce them up with drum magazines ripped from Terminator storm bolters, or targetters, or whatever?

Thanks for thinking with me Sheepz. I only assembled one Vet now and I did remove the DA iconography. One breastplate however has one icon that's gonna be hard to remove. Also I have to use normal back packs.
The bolters... yeah I don't know. You mean they should be cooler because of the Sternguards special ammo?

Here some pics of the first Vet, ready to paint!

Oops! Now I see I forgot a DA icon on the bolter! Will remove it right away :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:17:36 PM by Artcore »

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »
Scrounge for Black Templar Bolters. The masses of chains help them look a bit more special than your average boltgun.

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »
I was thinking specialed up boltgun for their special ammo, yeah.

That model looks great, but I do have a couple of tips for you (aside beefing out some of the other botlers)

- I find it massively difficult to paint the robes, espcially with a colour like creamy-bone, when the arms are in place. When using the DA vet fixed arms, I just blue tac them on, get the pads down and the pose right, then remove them, otherwise I end up going badly wrong when it comes to painting.

- Don't go overboard with the Vet arms. I think a couple of shooting guys is fine, buy you start to get too much repition if you use their arms repeatedly, since there are like, 3 different varients. If you want to do shooting Vets, break them up a bit with Tactical Squad arms as well. It'll give you more control over the posing, and every third guy won't have a skull on his glove, or a purity seal on his boltgun that looks strangely like the guy further down the row.

He does look fantastic though. Those pads you ordered really work with him. Can't wait to see them all done.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
Thanks for all those tips and the encouragement Sheepz! I just started painting this guy and you have a good point about attaching the arms later on. Normally I hate this method because I want to play games with the mini's in the meantime but with these guys it makes a lot of sense.
For the other 9 Vets I'll see what other arms I have to avoid repetition. I'll play with this squad probably all with bolters, some with combi-flamers or combi-melta's. But a flamer or MM is also an option. Also, I'm not sure if I should give the Sergeant a PW or PF or none at all.

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
Yeah, getting painted to play ASAP is always an issue with me, its good, though, gives you motivation.

Re: arms and painting torsos. I find its only really a problem with the arms that already have the boltguns on them. With standard marine arms, you can leave the bolter off and do just as well, really, athough I still prefer to paint the arms separate because of the colour difference. Can't afford to make mistakes.

Make sure you get pictures up when you're done.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »
Finally I've finished painting something! So many WIP's it was about time to get something done.

This time my altar. Here the Chaplain of my army can perform the Rites of Battle and bless his Battle Brothers.

And I've almost finished the LSS; only have to do the highlights on the blue stuff:

DA Vet and Librarian, very WIP:

C&C welcome!

Offline Sheepz

• Ancient
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2010, 08:18:41 AM »
Nice work on the altar and the Storm. I was cringing at the bottom two before I read WIP.

As an aside, Artcore, this is what I was thinking when I ramble on about your bolters. It's a simply conversion, and only needs to be done for a couple of the Marines, I think, to get the feel. Anyway, it's entirely up to you, thought I'd throw it out there. This is not mine, BTW, I found it on google.

As you can see, he's added the drum magazine from a Terminator Storm Bolter, and a targetter from the Tactical Marines sprue. I think you could pull off something similar.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
Thanks for that pictures Sheepz; I'll definitely look through my bits for some of those Stormbolter magazines!

Offline Artcore

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2010, 09:20:38 AM »
Well, I finished the Land Speeder Storm with Heavy Flamer. The vehicle itself that is; I've just started the pilot and the other guys are still in the sprue. They'll probably stay there for a while :)

Here's some pics of the LSS. I'm pretty satisfied with the shading and highlights this time.

Hope he'll serve me well in tonight's game :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:22:00 AM by Artcore »

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
Definitely nice looking :)  Very nice details, very clean as always.  Keep it up!  I just wish I could get myself to paint! but noooo, I have to spend my days reading lol...  My battle company and other detachments will never get finished.

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2010, 07:23:08 AM »
What a fantastic project, can't believe I've missed this for so long.

Great looking force you have, there are some really nice touches throughout. I love the objective marker too!

Offline Artcore

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2010, 09:04:10 AM »
Thanks! :)

And another thing finished: the Whirlwind Rocket Launcher.

The chassis is from my Razorback; the turrets just switch :)

The Ultra symbol is from Forge World Brass Etch.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:20:42 PM by Artcore »

Offline -Lazuli-

• Lazuli Painting
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
I like this log, reminds me of my first Ultramarines army (except better...). Good work. On the gold highlight it thinly with mithril silver or mix it with gold. The altar is nice. The exaust on the land speeder needs weathering.

Here are two techniques:
Drybrush Bestail Brown (leave 1/4 of the engine closest to the model metal)
Drybrush 3/4 of previous layer (going outwards) woth scorched brown
Drybrush 3/4 of previous layer (going outwards away from model) with chaos black

Other way:
repeat above steps with
wash devlan mud
wash badab black
drybrush chaos black

Oh do the same on the flamer too :)
Cheers, Lazuli