News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63436 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #420 on: September 29, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »
Personally I think he's good to go Ynnead. He looks totally barbaric enough to me. He's got a tattoo on his face. Thats hardcore! lol  ;D But in all seriousness he looks great. I'd not change a thing
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #421 on: October 1, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »
Now that's a cool idea dog_of_war. Not sure my GS skills are quite up to that yet but I can give it a test-run off the model. Would certainly up the barbarism to where I want it to be ;) I imagined him as a sort of tribal champion that the chief uses in those honour duels you hear about in the fluff. In the fluff they're made out to be relatively tame affairs when contrasted against the rest of the 40k universe with the vast majority stopping at first blood. A necklace of pointy ears from victorious duels would inject the gritty grimdarkness I'm adding to my eldar quite nicely ;) turns Saim Hann from somewhat tribal-celtic influenced to more tribal-headhunter influenced :)

That 3rd party Kabalite Champion model is sweet-as though!

Glad he looks barbaric as-is Cav! To be honest I really like him as-is too, which is part of the reason I didn't just dive in with changes straight away. A lot of the stuff I was thinking of sort of unbalances him slightly (either size-wise or colours) so I've been skeptical.

Probably part of the reason I haven't touched him yet, but I have still been busy :)

To put it simply, he's no prophet…he's a warlord. He cares not for the salvation of the eldar. In truth I cannot fathom his motives. As far as I can scry his sole aim is to tear his enemies asunder. A blunt instrument by which Ynnead enacts her will.

I have travelled there once, to the derelict palace of the Wight King. The flickering hulk of a dead craftworld adrift in the void, shrouded in nebulae. I don't know of its name, nor its true location. Only that the forces he has amassed are terrible indeed. Ranks upon ranks of his barrow-wights. Terrifying and glorious to behold.

30 years ago to the day a lone figure staggered through the empty ghost-halls of Iyanden, swatting at the whispers of the dead seeping through the walls around him.

"Hear me Dead God," he howled through the tears. "My life, my
soul in eternal servitude. I am yours to command. This I offer you. With but one condition...you bring her back."

I've had the idea for the Wight King for ages but only just got round to making him :) stemmed from the whole porting characters from Fantasy/AoS over to 40k with a twist, and then I saw this kickass model and thought 'I need that' :)

Next issue was that I'd run out of plastic robes and suchlike and the GS capes were a little hard to master. However, a very helpful chap over on the INQ28 boards pointed me towards this tutorial for making them out of tissue paper and it worked brilliantly (I did coat them in superglue once they'd dried to give some extra stiffness): Tutorial - Capes made from tissue - Modelling Tutorials - The Bolter and

I've also had the Yvraine model knocking around from my Triumvirate that I'd half-cannibalised and didn't really know what to do with until I saw this drop-dead gorgeous Null-assassin model by a chap called Exanimus:

Finally triggered an idea! My Wight King needs a Corpse Bride :)

That helped tie together a whole host of neat things :) it ties into the idea that Ynnari keep gravitating to a prophet/guardian model in a sort of instinctive symbolism thing after Yvraine and the Visarch. It also gives the Wight King a solid-gold reason to pledge his soul to the eldritch god of the dead :)

Another thing it does is the first step along a bit of a worldbuilding idea I had. Basically each of my little INQ28 warbands that are taking their first fumbling steps into the Scar are backed up by more powerful factions behind them with motives entirely their own (not necessarily supportive of the motives of their compatriots). So, like the beginnings of WW1 the scrapping arguments of little polities rope in their bigger and more powerful friends until tensions fray and war erupts :)

The last thing these guys do is finally give me something that shows off just what I was aiming for with the Ynnari paint scheme (shown off best when contrasted with my Dark Eldar):

They're the ghosts of living eldar ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #422 on: October 1, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »
G'day Ynneadwraith!
Am running out of exclamations, mate. Your work keeps getting better and better. Thanks for the heads up on the tissue capes. They look Micky Mouse. Your pace seems to be increasing as well. More and more models seem to be pumped out every week... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #423 on: October 2, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
Those wrack legs just look awesome with the CWE armour. I can just see these guys on the battlefield, where everyone else is ducking for cover or sprinting around, these guy are just walking through, las/tracer fire dancing between them, explosions going off in the back ground, conscripts just being swatted away like flies not even slowing them as they make their way to the warlord..

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #424 on: October 2, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
Thanks guys! I don't know about pace increasing :S i tend to half-finish a half dozen or so dudes and then finish them all on one go ;)

Yeah those capes work really nicely :) they suit Imperial cloaks too with their slightly rough texture.

Glad that's the inpression that comes across @magenb :) that's exactly what i was after! Way back when i made them i was thinking that you see dynamic eldar all the time but it's not often that eldar look implacable :)

Offline Orange

« Reply #425 on: October 2, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Amazing work man, they look brooding, dark and moody which fits perfectly.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #426 on: October 4, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »
Looking awesome as always. However I have to say I'd love to see you branch out into some color with these guys. You could easily incorporate some super pale ghostly greens or purples to give just the faintest hint of color here and there. Also... the spirit stones! They too are screaming for just a bit of color. I think it'd only enhance how ghostly these guys look.

Either way I think they look great. Totally unique and I just love the aesthetic. Keep rocking bud!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #427 on: October 4, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
Glad you like them guys! I've just had some inspiration for the last two cultists for my little prophet cell too so expect something with them soonish too :)

You know me and colour Cav ;) not that I'm resistant to change at all :S

Where were you thinking for some little hints of colour? The soulstones I do actually plan to do in better detail on all my models. I've sort of purposefully been painting them flat-metallic colours on all of my eldar so I can speed up the painting process and get more ideas out. Then, like the weathering thing, I plan on doing a 'great soulstone redux' where I'll go through all my models and really nail painting them :)

I had actually thought of using roses as a bit of a colour-splash motif on Ynnari as there's a couple on my Prophet and I could dot them around (plus, they'd play into the fluff of the Corpse Bride nicely). Need to have a crack at making some from GS...

Someone over on dakka mentioned giving the visors of the helmets one extra highlight to help differentiate them from the rest of the armour which I might have a crack at :) I am slightly concerned of messing up the skull-shadow on the wight King with that though. Took me ages to get it just subtle enough that you can miss it on first glance, but once you spot it that's all you can see :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #428 on: October 5, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »
The areas where I think you hit the model with some different hues would definitely be the cloaks. I think you could go Rakarth Flesh/Reikland then dry brush/highlight again with Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych on there just to give some distinction between the different materials. It gives it just a tad bit of color. I used it on my World Eaters and really loved it.

You could even go with some browns (perhaps not on these latest models) or slaanesh Grey, Ulthuan Grey could work as well as far as establishing a bit of differentiation.

Personally for the spirit stones I think some classic looking spirit stones would look fantastic. Just a single one each model would look great IMO. I think some high constrast colors would really look great. But you could still go ghostly if you wanted. Like genestealer purple to Slaanesh Grey would look cool.

I'm a huge fan of Japanese Creature Core and a lot of their modelers go for a very similar look to your in terms of modelling and paint schemes. They very often favor a monochrome type look but if you look carefully they use some really awesome colors to establish texture.

Here are some examples which I'll delete after you see them :)

The Predator example is the one that really stands out to me. Because if you look at the Predator (not his mount) he's essentially a pale grey. But if you look carefully he's got the smokey dark red dreads, brown and gold on his belt, silver on his harness.

I know thats a big model but I feel like if you incorporated just a touch of that into your guys it'd take them to a whole new level. Anyway those are just my thoughts. Your guys are legendary as-is but I feel just a bit more "Detailing" would really be huge! Anyway bud not trying to come on too strong, just trying to help. Feel free to disregard because like I said I think your guys look great as they are. Anyway let me know what you think  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #429 on: October 5, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
Don't take those pics down man :) I'm not precious about other people's stuff on my thread, and it's really handy to know where stuff is for inspiration :) I absolutely love that predator model. Right up my street!

Don't worry about coming on too strong with constructive criticism :) that's one of the brilliant things forums do over stuff like Instagram (not that I'm on it). You actually get a lot of constructive stuff as to how to improve. Without the comments from you guys I wouldn't have made it even this far!

I like your idea about using fleshtones like Rakarth Flesh to differentiate the cloth from the armour. Had a peek at your World Eaters and it works really nicely :) plus, it'd free up the Balor Brown/Ushabti Bone/Pallid Wych Flesh layering for the armour which should make them look more ghostly if anything :)

The plan was to go a little sparse on the spirit stones with just one per model (aside from the ones where the look suits them being bedecked in charms like Farseers and the like), so glad to hear you think the same :) I'm slightly leery of purples on them due to my whole low-contrast thing, but I can definitely see working some deep reds through to oranges and yellows (must pick up some more of those) :)

I do like how the electric blues on your soulstones look though. I certainly think they'd suit my Corsairs for instance :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #430 on: October 6, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »
Cool! Glad you weren't put off. I try to hold back criticisms from people who are struggling to paint up stuff consistently, but you my friend are more totally inspired!  ;D

Yeah the purple isn't the best choice. But a smoky red like the eyes on this creature might work.

Anyway glad I could be of some help! Loving the project as always bud  ;D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #431 on: October 6, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »
Always happy to have constructive criticism :) it's one of the main good points of forums over stuff like Instagram and the like. Much more discussion and pushing people forward to try new things :)

I'm a little bit in love with those black/red/milky eyes on that gribbly alien thing. They're stunning :) absolutely perfect for a grimdark interpretation of soulstones. Less brightly shining jewels, more sort of grimy quasi-biological alien devices :)

I think I'm also getting the thing you were saying earlier with models being overall relatively monotone/low contrast, yet actually built up of half a dozen different colours. With that bug thing above it mostly comes across as grey, but if you look closer there's silvers, greys, golds, bronzes and pale purples. It's a stunning piece of work :)

Must get a little more adventurous with highlighting stuff in dissimilar colours. I get the feeling it'll work really well if I can get the hang of it :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #432 on: October 9, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Well, haven't made the improvements yet but I have still been busy ;)

What?! Are you insane?! I've met some truly unhinged eldar in this fair city…but this. This puts them all to shame. Consume the soul of a Bloodthirster? Cure your thirst? Utter insanity. I will have no part in it.

What do you mean it worked...

Just what the hell are you...

Had another idea around the whole winged vampire lord model I like so much :) following the whole idea of porting AoS/Fantasy characters/concepts into the 40k universe I was reading up about Abhorash, the progenitor Blood Dragon vampire who slew a dragon, drank its blood and cured his thirst.

With Dark Eldar being basically soul-vampires, I thought 'what if a Dark Eldar was insane enough to try and consume the soul of a daemon and try and cure their thirst'. What if, against all odds, it worked. It would have to be a Khornate daemon given their patron's rivalry. It would have to be a Bloodthirster, otherwise everyone would have tried it (and it's more fitting to the Fantasy legend).

Definitely see it as an example of 'Gone Horribly Right' though. Containing that much volatile, alien and intelligent energy within oneself would be produce some significant and mutable side-effects. Plus, it opens up the door to being influenced by the Blood God. A whisper in the ear, an inexplicable urge. Which thoughts and actions are your own and which are not? Have you actually been possessed, and the daemon is simply allowing you to believe you're maintaining control for its own nefarious purposes?

And so it is that a third Ruinous Power gains an unwitting agent within the Eldar...

My two Blood Dragons side-by-side :) mirrored and opposed.

All I need now is a name. Abhorax? Abhoraish?

Oh, and I would also love to hear people's ideas about potential Tzeentchdar. I was thinking it would be neat if each of the Chaos Gods (and each of the extant Eldar ones) each had their own roped-in/unwitting/involuntary agents and pawns that they've brought together to try and influence the events that are unfolding with my exodites rejoining the galaxy at large (sort of similar to how the Greek Gods played games with mortal champions).

------------------------------

Slaanesh has her Croneworlders, sent to claim what's hers by birthright.

Nurgle has his Blightdar, sent to bring them into the fold (it's the planets he's really after, but he hasn't told the Blightdar that).

Khorne has the Blood Dragon, sent to ensure slaanesh doesn't succeed in the bloodiest manner possible.

Ynnead has the Wight King, hers by infernal bargain, and the Prophet who actually believes in the Dead God.

Khaine has the Young King, sent to save the eldar (but viewed through the mindset of a psychopathic murder-god).

Then there are my Craftworld Eldar (and their Commorrite and Corsair associates), who through hubris and desperation think they as mortals can play at the games of the Gods.

------------------------------

Need to think of something for Tzeentch though. For some reason he's the one I've been having the most difficulty coming up with motivations for. Slaanesh is obvious, Khorne is there just to stop Slaanesh and Nurgle previously held the region so wants it back.

Without shoehorning in some ancient piece of knowledge that exists solely to gain Tzeentch's attention I'm not sure how to work him in.

Oh, and Harlequins. The Laughing God needs his representatives. Perhaps I should do it so each faction has a Harlequin guiding them along, even if their aims are conflicting. Seems like a good way of suggeating that there's some greater plot afoot and the Harlequins are orchestrating something no-one's cottoned onto yet. Always thought they were slippery bastards...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #433 on: October 9, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
Very cool conversion and concept. This is what the hobby is all about.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #434 on: October 9, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
Niiiiice!
Your winged Vamp is one of my favorites as well, Ynnead. Brilliant fluff behind the new guy as well. One day someone will invest in you and yours will be another universe next to 40K/AoS. 

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #435 on: October 9, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »
Oh, and I would also love to hear people's ideas about potential Tzeentchdar.

hmm Tzeentch do like their robes, flying discs and feathered wings mixed in an Egyptian flavour.. yeah.. umm..

High Elf Archmage might have some robes you can use. Necrons may have some staff's, maybe even head dress. Undead etheral parts might work out as some nice spell effects.
Spite-revenants might work as some sort of horrors.

very curious to see what you come up with :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #436 on: October 9, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »
Thanks a ton guys! Glad you like him :)

Not sure I'm quite that good but I'm flattered!

For modelling on the Tzeentchdar I was thinking of a conversion a guy called PDH who made this beauty:

What I love about it is that it may very well be that the daemonic book is the character, and the host is as much of a weapon as the gun he's holding. I love the idea that the unfortunate eldar might actually just be hosts to whatever fell creature is pulling the strings (and suitably warped and mutated to boot).

Wanted to try and find a way to tie them in story-wise without it feeling forced, and perhaps that might influence what the models look like somewhat :) didn't necessarily want to crib from PDH quite so soon as his is only a week or so old!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #437 on: October 10, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »
Looking really nice Ynnead. Super nice conversion work as always. The bits just merge perfect. Also really love those colors.

Also those colors are in the family of colors I'd look to play around with for your bone Eldar. I actually am gonna pull out all the paints that I think would work for you to experiment with and take a picture of them.

That Slaanesh Grey is is just one of my favorite "white" type colors.

Anyway great stuff bud they look great

Offline Orange

« Reply #438 on: October 10, 2017, 10:05:42 AM »
Really look forward to seeing more pics in this thread, it's always something totally I did not expect but works really well.

The addition of red with the Khorne guys is great. That bit of colour in a muted army makes it pop right out.

As far as Tzeentch goes, have you though about blending plastic horrors and dryads? You could get some pretty creepy combinations out of that.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #439 on: October 10, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
Thanks guys! Glad you like them :)

I thought you might be a fan of this one Cav ;) that'd be really helpful! I've definitely been mucking about with different techniques recently, especially with washes and drybrushes :) this guy was a bit of an experiment into building up colours using successive washes (Bloodletter through Carroberg Crimson to Druchii Violet), and a bit of a test of trying to alter texture with streaky drybrushing Pallid Wych Flesh before laying the washes down.

Actually the armour was a bit of a test as well. I've always struggled somewhat to get silvers that I actually like (i.e. not too bright and shiny). Turns out the trick is not to start with a silver. Start with a black, and just drybrush the edges with silver and it looks much better! Going to try that with golds and bronzes next ;)

Funny you mention Slaanesh Grey as that guy was actually a bit of an experiment too. Rather than various different washes like the Blood Dragon the Croneworlder was a test into how to use just the single wash (Druchii Violet) and different base colours to create different colours. There's basically only really three main colours in the whole guy: Administratum Grey, Pallid Wych Flesh and Druchii Violet (plus some spots of pink and silver).

You're bang on the money with little bits of colour in muted armies really popping out Orange. That's actually something I've had to be a bit careful of sometimes. For instance my Ynnari Wraithguard guy originally had some bright red blood streaks on the blade of his axe, but they completely drew the eye to the point that it was a bit tricky to see the model as a whole picture.

Will definitely be using it more going forwards though :) I've got a Farseer model I can't wait to roll out that'll be an opportunity to exercise some richer colours ;)

Oh, and I love the idea of using Horror plastics for the Tzeentchdar. I'm thinking volatile mutations bursting out of the side of the hapless hosts with a really unbalanced/body-horror look to them maybe. Think the liquid metal Terminator from Terminator 2 when he gets shot by the grenade launcher, but with more tentacles ;)