News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar battleforce - worth getting?  (Read 9760 times)

Offline mechrite

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Eldar battleforce - worth getting?
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:57:13 AM »
Is the eldar battleforce worth getting? I'm new to eldar (having played dark eldar) and was curious about whether this is the best way to start. I've played one game using my dark eldar models and enjoyed it. so, the battleforce: not necessarily is it good value for money (I can get one for £40) but will the models actually see any use? The contents are:
Wave serpent - so this is fairly useful, as far as I can tell.
5 dire avengers - too small a unit, but I can always try to find another five somewhere on ebay.
Guardian squad with platform - seems okay, and they are troops.
War walker - scout and the ability to outflank seems a good deal.
Have I just answered my own question?

cheers in advance!

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: Eldar battleforce - worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:14:48 AM »
Personally I'm not a fan of it due to the small DA unit and the Guardians.

It's more about what you want to do with your army really. I generally dislike Guardians and don't think they're much cop: either have none of them or have loads (3-4 large units) to make them worth while. I know others will disagree with me...

Buying two units of Dire Avengers and either a Farseer or Autarch to fulfill your compulsory choices would be my advice.
No you're not taking advantage of the cash saving of the battleforce; but then the saving is only useful if you intend to use everything in the box.

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 05:33:02 AM »
Id say play some more test games using your dark eldar as proxies. CWE have a lot of variety of playstyles, the major craftworlds, eldarzilla, full mech, footslogging etc. They all play rather different so my advice would be to proxy some more games, use models that have attracted you to CWE see which angle you want to go with.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 06:10:39 AM »
The problem with the Battleforce is that it doesn't give you enough of many of the units and models in question.

As Lorizael pointed out, five Dire Avengers are insufficient, while one Wave Serpent and one War Walker are not much use either in my view (you need a minimum of two of each), so I don't think it is much use at all personally.

I am a big fan of Guardian squads, but these could easily be purchased separately, so don't feel the need to buy the Battleforce set to be able to get them.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »
The only good part about the battleforce is the wave serpent, which you could buy separately.

You'd be better off starting by buying a farseer and two dire avengers box sets. You can build from there, adding things like wave serpents and aspect warriors.
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline Iyanden_Knovah

• Too old to start now, too young to care
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »
From a strictly monetary standpoint, looking back I wish I had purchased the Battlebox.  I bought Guardians, then decided I needed some DA's.  Then I realized how important the WS's really were, and now I've spent more than if I had just bought the battleforce, and I would like to test out some WW's. 

Given that our only troops choices other then the DA's and Guardians is Rangers, you really can't go wrong with the box.  If you add one box of DA's, build it as 2 units (2 exarchs with 4 DA's each) from the box, then you can mix and match your DA's to fit your needs.  2 Exarchs, 2 units of 7 each?  3 exarchs, 3 units of 5 each?  and so on.  And having an AT heavy weapon isn't exactly useless.

But, I'm still a very very new player, just offering my perspective.
"If we are to die so that Iyanden may live, I shall count it small recompense for a life well-lived, and my spirit shall sing to my brethren in the Infinity Circuit until the death knell of She-Who-Thirsts keens like a Banshee's first taste of battle."

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »
Given that our only troops choices other then the DA's and Guardians is Rangers, you really can't go wrong with the box.

Jetbikes are also troops, and Wraithguard can be fielded as a scoring unit too, although you need to be wealthy if you want to go down that route  ;).

If you add one box of DA's, build it as 2 units (2 exarchs with 4 DA's each) from the box, then you can mix and match your DA's to fit your needs.  2 Exarchs, 2 units of 7 each?  3 exarchs, 3 units of 5 each?

The problem you have with fielding Dire Avengers in the manner you have described above is that unless you want to field multiple Dire Avenger/Falcon combinations, they work at their best when fielded in full sized squads in my view, so if you do not like the Dire Avenger/Falcon combination you are always going to end up with five figures that you cannot use, hence why I feel the battleforce is such a counter productive purchase.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »
I bought the set because I started with an army list containing 2 sepernts, 1 squad of guardians, 1 squad of Avengers, 3 warwalkers, and 1 falcon with 5 avengers in it. So this kit was perfect as All i needed was another serpent, 2 more walkers, a falcon, and one box of avengers. So I saved a bit of money (at the time). I don't usually use the walkers or guardians anymore, but I have lists that take them and changing things up is always fun so they aren't totally wasted. The box isn't good as a stand alone army to field but is very good when used to supplement your army. If they bumped the Avengers to 10, and dropped the Walker for a Farseer/Autarch it would be a usable army right out of the box.

Offline Iyanden_Knovah

• Too old to start now, too young to care
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »
Jetbikes are also troops, and Wraithguard can be fielded as a scoring unit too, although you need to be wealthy if you want to go down that route  ;).

*forehead smack* D'oh, I always forget the jetbikes.  For some reason, I can't ever think of them.  Not for a Council, nor especially guardians, yet I know they're important.  Just another one of those things I'm still working on getting used to.  Much like...

The problem you have with fielding Dire Avengers in the manner you have described above is that unless you want to field multiple Dire Avenger/Falcon combinations, they work at their best when fielded in full sized squads in my view, so if you do not like the Dire Avenger/Falcon combination you are always going to end up with five figures that you cannot use, hence why I feel the battleforce is such a counter productive purchase.

Like right here, where I've made the DA recommendations while again imagining them footslogging.  Good points Irisado, and after consideration I definitely can see where maybe I just buy the wrong things all around.  Although I'm busy building that Wraithguard Troop choice (3 at a time!), to hell with the jetbikes.  :D

Fortunately my main opponent is a footslogging SM player at the moment, and we're both building up our vehicles starting with transports so I'm not totally boned.  It can be strange learning to play without having others to actually watch.   Bumping the DA to 10 would be a much better start for the battleforce at any rate, I think.  Or maybe adding rangers?
"If we are to die so that Iyanden may live, I shall count it small recompense for a life well-lived, and my spirit shall sing to my brethren in the Infinity Circuit until the death knell of She-Who-Thirsts keens like a Banshee's first taste of battle."

Offline Brute3792

• "We bring only death and leave only carrion."
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
Is the eldar battleforce worth getting?

no.

i would contest that it has elements for several different playstyles, but does not really accommodate any of them very well. The best thing i could see out of this set up is adding 2 walkers, a falcon, and an HQ. You're far better off writing a list that goes with how you like to play, instead of changing how you play to fit a list. I'd argue that goes for when you're starting an army, and then once you get used to them, write a new list and it's like playing a whole new army.

However, if you're really unsure, and you're really into saving money, then try writing up a list that contains everything in the box and see how you like it. playtest= the best test IMHO
If i can't shoot you, I'll make you shoot for me.

Offline mechrite

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 04:25:39 AM »
Again, thanks for the advice. I will test play a few more games with my DE, but I think I will probably get two boxes of dire avengers and a farseer as suggested to start with. I can always use a mix of CWE and DE models as I'm building the army up before I commit myself.

And a merry Christmas to you!

Offline lIlceman

• Elves..... IN SPACE!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
Well before you do that, don't make the mistake I did!  I bought the Battleforce and then 2 walkers, only to decide later that ANOTHER Battleforce would complement what I needed perfectly, except now I have any extra walker!  But if you have the cash, 2 Battleforces are definitely worth it, then you have 2 Guardian squads, 1 full DA unit, 2 Wave Serpents and 2 Walkers (only need 1 more for a squad of 3).  Of course, this is assuming you would play with those units and at higher point games.
If you are formless, the most penetrating spies will not be able to discern you, nor the wisest counsels plot against you
Sun Tzu

Offline lulu2009

• Eldar banshees skimpily approach a spacemarine...
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 04:35:33 AM »
I find that the cost saving from a box should not sway you from the army you intend to field. If you have a good friend to sell the unit you do not want, you can always go for the box set.

My experiences on starters are Farseer, Guardians defender & Storm Guardians being the safest.
Expansion sequence will for eldar army should be something like this:
1) For skimmers preferably 1+ wave serpents followed by Falcon/Prism.
2) HQ to add 5 then 10 warlocks or a new leader.
3) Elite/FA/Heavy slots will be up to you as many Vets here do have a wide selection at their disposal. Most choose 1 CC unit of 8 men, 6 dragons or 2 walkers.
4) Troops to go for Avengers 5~10, 5 Bikes or even 5 Wraithguards.
5) Balance of stuffs will be whatever fancy that will alter your army play style you wish to foster.

All the stuff inside the box allow you to build good list nevertheless. But you will end up wasting one unit in the package most likely if you intend to build a fluffy theme list. Box set ain't good for that IMO.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »
Hi,

My opinion of the Battleforce box:

1 - If you do get it make the guardians = Storm Guardians mainly; Defenders = shooty w/ 1 big gun at BS3 reliability? Take Dire Avengers instead in a good solid quantity around 20 - 30 DA max.

2 - Dire Avengers in the box add more certainly it would help. Make the Exarch magnetize arms for chaning it to Diresword, pistol or ASC x2.

3 - Comes w/ Wave Serpent - who doesn't like Serpents? A bit expensive but prolly 1 of the most reliable transport.

4 - War Walker - add 2 more and you have a potent force of shooting, either anti-horde or surplus AT weapons platform for anti tank or anti MC.

Good luck on your decision.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline neverXmore

• I *LOVE* 40k Online! I really do.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 05:24:51 PM »
Buy 2.
Convert 10 guardians to Storm Guardians.
Buy a Farseer and a Warlock.

Stormies+'lock+flamers and DAs+bladestorm in Serpents
Guardians+scatter lasers in cover holding objective.
War Walkers suicide outflanking (shuriken cannons) or sitting in cover with the guardians (scatter lasers).
Seer as needed.

So sad but true.
I don't want to seem rude but if I wanted to take part in talking about why the eldar codex needs to be better I'd read pretty much any thread in the Eldar forum.

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »
Buy 2.
Convert 10 guardians to Storm Guardians.
Buy a Farseer and a Warlock.

Stormies+'lock+flamers and DAs+bladestorm in Serpents
Guardians+scatter lasers in cover holding objective.
War Walkers suicide outflanking (shuriken cannons) or sitting in cover with the guardians (scatter lasers).
Seer as needed.

Yeah, i could see how this would be a good way to start. Should be about 1k, probably a little less.  am assault unit like scorpions could make good use of the extra points. maybe a wraithlord.
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline neverXmore

• I *LOVE* 40k Online! I really do.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
Scorpies as an assault/counter charge unit would be a good choice, especially as you can Infiltrate/Outflank so that a transport isn't strictly necessary. They're pretty hard fortuned up and in cover.

So sad but true.
I don't want to seem rude but if I wanted to take part in talking about why the eldar codex needs to be better I'd read pretty much any thread in the Eldar forum.

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »
Before you start Eldar you need to look at the army as a whole. Look at the units you like, and work from there to make a theme.

As has already been stated the Battleforce if Nether here nor there with it's theme. You get parts of multiple army styles with no definite sway to any one in particular.

Start at the basics.

What sort of army do you want to play. Gunline, Assault, Speed. Hammer and anvil.

With each style comes a unit that shines. Other units make good all rounders. Most units will be failing to meet the criteria you set tho.

Secondly pick your troops.

Guardians, avengers, rangers/pathfinders, W-guard or Bikes.

The troops should reflect the style your aiming for. Guardians and avengers are all rounders, Tho avengers meet the critera of the assault army a touch better with the exarch and weapons choices. Guardians meet most critera and are cheap But putting them in a transport can be costly. Rangers/pathfinders are great for holding objectives and skulking about with an outflank. Bikes need an army that can keep up and provide a lot of support on demand.

Battleforces represent value for money, not playability.

Personally i would ebay the basic army. Look for an old army that someone is selling with the basic core you want to work from. 2 full troops. Some transports and some aspect warriors like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eldar-Warhammer-40k-Army-large-w-Carry-Case_W0QQitemZ320468262851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item4a9d659fc3

Offline OneMeanChicken

• I am just that mean!
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:12 AM »
If you have money to purchase 3 battleforces I would. You will eventually need 3 serpents. A squad of 3 war walkers with scatter lasers produces mass firepower. It give you 15 dire avengers which 10 can go in a serpent and 5 in a falcon. and three squads of guardians which can make a great core army. I use 2 squads in 90% of my armies.

But if you dont plan on using all the units dont buy the box... Very simple. Its good for a hybrid player and thats about all.

Offline Brutoni

• Doom... Doom.... Doooooooom
« Reply #19 on: January 2, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
I recently got some Eldar for christmas... I was very lucky in that my 15 year old brother and my 10 year old brother mucked in together to buy my a falcon, I was quite touched by the gesture as that's an expensive model especially as the 10 year old bro used some of his savings to provide half.... Anyway on top of that I got a box of Guardians (useful enough), Warp Spiders (never got round to getting them but yay :D), A box of Dire Avengers and a Box of Fire Dragons...

Now looking at this I can see the beginnings of a potential hybrid army.... 10 Avengers, 6 Dragons in the Falcon, Guardians Camping, Spiders deep striking and harassing. I also had a look at the battle force. Strangely enough for this new army I am considering being quite crazy and getting two of them.

So I think it depends really. What you want you army to look like, how you will use the models etcetc. Additionally I think the Eldar battle force works best in 2's... Mainly because all the models in it double up nicely.

10 avengers (nice)
20 guardians (always work better in 2 units of 10 I find)
2 War walkers (nice options and walkers are great models)
2 serpents... 1 for your Avengers....

Leaving you free to expand with one more unit (close combat?) and a HQ. I think the battle force for the eldar is a nice one so long as you aren't worried about getting Guardians.

The only criticism is asking why they did not make it £55 like for the IG and expand it to 10 Avengers. Would happily buy it then.

£18 for Guardians,
£18 for Walker
£25 for Serpent
£18 for 10 Avengers (£9 for 5)

Comes to either £70 or £79 pounds, would happily pay £55 for a £22 saving.

Also on the subject of painting the eldar battleforce is one of the better in my opinion. It has a big flying tank, 5 aspect (elitish) troops, 10 normal troops with a platform and a Walker... That's a lot of diversity especially if you stick to the traditional eldar theme of painting aspect warriors differently.