News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850... Shooty Mech Orks...  (Read 1902 times)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
1850... Shooty Mech Orks...
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
So, you guys think this might work?  I was making up some lists and though this might be fun...

KFF Mek, Burna, CB, HA

6 x trukk boyz, Shootas, Pk Nob w/BP (one unit only has 11 for the mek to ride in and a BC instead of PK)
-- Trukk, BP, Ram

12 Lootas
-- BW, 4 BS

12 Lootas
-- BW, 4 BS

2 x Dakka Jet, extra SS

Adam
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:15:28 PM by adamscurr »

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: 1850... Shooty Mech Orks...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04:48 PM »
Maybe drop one unit of Trukk boyz, and replace it with a small squad of Gretchin, and an ADL with Quad.

That gives you some higher BS Quad-gun action, and a unit to sit back and hold an objective in your deployment zone. It also gives your lootas someplace to sit with a great cover save. :)

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the input...  Definitly worth considering...  The lootas of course though, sit in the battle wagons...  I try to put them in cover so if they do get blown, the lootas disembark into cover and keep shooting! lol

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:37:09 AM »
LoL, I completely spaced on the "BW" part... I couldn't for the life of me figure out what you were giving them for "upgrades".

Ne'er mind my earlier post then. I thought they were on foot. Seemed strange in a "Mech" list... :)

Offline Upgrade1

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
What is all this talk about cover?  As Tau I ask you this question as my marker lights say what cover?  Just something to consider lots of cover removing units out there.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Stupid Tau marker lights! lol  Though Tau do make the AL a little less good...  Now, I did find out something neat though...  My brother said the AL quad gun has the interceptor rule...  This offers some possibilities...

Adam

Offline Crispy86

• Ork Boy
  • Time to feast!
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Marines(Nurgle), Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 03:05:13 AM »
A guy at Frontline gaming was running a similar list, but had no dakka jets just lootas and was running 2 warboss on bikes with attack squigs, PK etc.
Crispy86

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
Looks like a great list, I think I will give this one a go as soon as I build/make eight more lootas. In the mean time I will continue to run tank bustas.

I run the six truck loads of boys, and my KFF mek rides with the tank bustas. I also have two squadrons of rockit buggies and a squadron of three deff coptas.

I am happy that you have returned to the kult, now I won't have to send the rebel grots to lean on you  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »
SKEETERGOD,

Question for you-or anyone else that wants to chime in :). As the resident SME(subject matter expert) on the speed freaks, how to you keep your boys from running when they make contact with the enemy?

Do you keep them in the truck for drive-bys as long as possible, or get em out punching? Because when i run the BW/truck list it seems the boys are running after the first or second turn of hitting! Obviously I use the BP to keep da boyz in line but still seems to happen...

The peeps at my LGS are finally catching on to my horde list and bringing all things that burn and ignore cover from my KFF!!!

looking to change it up a little!

Thoughts?
Doesn't Ally well with others...

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »
I will be happy to help.

Firstly, as you know with our t-shirt saves the boys tend to die off fairly quickly. The solution? MORE ORKS.

What this translates for speed freaks is that you must take multiples of truck boys. As a minimum I take at least four truck loads of boys, and lately six truck loads.

Then, do not have a single unit charge in by themselves. Always try for the double team effort, unless you are sacrificing that group of boys while the rest of your army krumps on something else.
   For example; charging purifiers led by their librarian is just a bad idea. Difficult/dangerous terrain tests, snap fire, and then pre fight flaming wounds on top of that. So, you send a truck load of boys there, and shoot from inside the truck, parking the truck in the way. Then when the purifiers take the bait and shoot the truck, you hope for a good carreen away from them, but usually my luck says a kaboom will be rolled. Then of course the purifiers charge the hapless boys and usually wipe them out, but then they had to suffer snap fire and did not get their other bonuses. Sure the unit of boys is wiped out, but that means that the purifiers are now out in the open for your shoota boys and tank bustas, etc. etc. etc. to shoot them.

I split the load out to three units of shoota boys and three units of slugga/choppa boys. The shoota boys are led by their nob with boss pole and has a big shoota. The slugga/choppa boys are led by a nob with boss pole and PK.
The trucks that carry the boys all have red paint and reinforced rams. The three trucks with the slugga boys have boarding planks as well, that are a great cure for dreadnoughts and tau flechet launchers (a whole different tactica).

Of course you still need the rest of the army, so some sort of heavy shooting is required with this edition. I have been using a BW full of tank bustas, led by a nob with a boss pole. The BW with four rockit launchas. As well as two squadrons of rockit buggies and a burna bomma. Adamscurr uses BWs full of lootas and two dakka jets.

The main idea is to plan on having at least two units of boys surviving by the end of the game to hold objectives (if there are any) and the rest of the army to contest any objectives. Now, this is probably why I tend to "didn't lose" a lot, as I tend to kinda forget to take or hold objectives as I am having too much fun krumping the enemy, seeing them flee before me and hearing the lamentations of their players. Then at the end of the last turn find out I forgot to hold on to an objective and my opponent has one, so the orks "didn't lose" again. (FYI, in case you are wondering what I am talking about, the Ork codex clearly shows that orks never lose)

On those miraculous games where I remember to hold on to an objective or three then that is when my usually depleted units of boys come into play. Sometimes there might only be three boys left of a squad, so they kinda sneak over to an objective and sit there a turn or so until the game is over and I accidently outscore my opponent.

As for boys running away (yes, I got carried away again) if you double charge, usually you don't lose combat. I usually charge with the shoota boys first so that they get the defensive fire on them, and slugga boys  charge the same unit second after the snap firing is over and so come in unmolested. Of course it doesn't always work, as there are no foolproof plans, but it works often enough that it is a trick worth remembering.

In short, always go for the double charge, and you will find your boys running away less often.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
Excccelllennnttt... ..(fingers taping against each other)
I shall try the ol' Bait n' Charge with the multiple trukk units!
Oh, how I wish that mob rule worked so that any units in coherancy would technically be one mob!

Might even just use your list, adamscurr! Just have to proxy loot some Chimeras from "da humies"!
Doesn't Ally well with others...