News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Points Baal Strike Force  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
2000 Points Baal Strike Force
« on: April 2, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »
Looking for feed back on a 2000 point list. I'm currently leaning towards the Baal strike force to boost the death companies initiative but I'm not opposed to a combined arms detachment. The Sanguinary Priest goes with the assault terminators and the librarian with the death company. I have two tactical squads with 3 templates and two assault squads with 3 melta guns giving me versatility for my alpha strike.  The bike squad gives me some AP2 to hopefully take out monstrous creatures.  Right now I have an empty storm raven and I'm not sure whether to put a unit in it, leave it empty, or take something else.

HQ:
Librarian Lvl 2 Angel's Wing 115
Sanguinary Priest Melta Bombs 65

Troops: 400
2x Tactical Squads
Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Sgt w/ Combi-flamer
Drop pod

Elites:
10 Man Death Company with Jump packs 280
2x Power fists/bolters 8x bolt pistols/chainswords

Terminator Assault squad with TH/SS 25

Fast Attack: 380
Assault Squad 115
2x Melta Guns Sgt w/ Combi-melta
Drop pod
Bike Squad. 150
 5 bikes. 2 grav guns & SGT w/ Combi grav & melta bombs

Heavy support:
2x Storm ravens 200
 1 with TL Lascannon. 1 with TL assault canon
Baal Predator 135
TL Assault cannon & heavy bolters.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 2000 Points Baal Strike Force
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
I think that a combined arms detachment would be nice with the drop pods you're firing down. It also depends on which warlord traits you're wanting to take. The list looks pretty solid though. I am not a super huge fan of multiple fliers (personal bias). If the tactical squads are 200pts each, a third one of those squads instead of a second storm ravens would give you a lot more ground control IMO.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
I'm not a blood angel player neither am i space marine one so my judgement isn't the most efficient one please proceed with caution. On my personnal point i like flyer a lot, they are rather hard to kill and fairly effective in my opinion. so i would suggest keeping both. There is one thing I don't particulary like either, it's the drop pod. I know they are pretty efficient and all but i don't like them cause you lack mobility and that's something important to me so k would suggest dropping one( or two don't know the cost for this and what i would suggest to add) and investing the point freed in a dreadnought, i love those, i have to admit it, and they always did awonder in games I found them. I would then sugest putting this in the storm ravens with the squad "drop-pod less" if it's possible (don't know all the trick). That would in my opinion be the most efficient thing. But hen again  i don't knlw your army enough and am nlt the mlst reliable man in 40k, just telling what i feel like doing, and i would go for baal aswell, boosted eeath company way too strong.

That's my though, what are the more experienced player thinking of this?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2015, 06:56:25 PM »
I think that ObSec is crap, so I like the Baal Strike Force for the Initiative Boost. If anything is close enough for contesting objectives to come into play... charge them, and kill them! :)

I don't think Flamer Pods are all that great. You drop down, HOPE that there are exposed infantry, flame them, and HOPE that they don't move away or embark in a transport, or charge you. Oh, and you HOPE they aren't MEQ because they'll just shrug off most of those wounds. Once you're down, you don't have continued mobility to keep those Flamers in range. So you sit around, poking out with bolters, until something big and scary comes and smashes your face. :( Relies too much on hope for my taste.

Same deal with Melta-pods. You usually have to drop down, and move out of cover to get into melta range. So if you don't slag your target, it moves away or blasts you to pieces. 3 Melta isn't bad... but it doesn't have nearly the same reliability of editions past. I'd rather use a pair of Meltas on a bike with a PF Sarge... it's been working out well for me.

I'm over pods for BA infantry, for the most part. They don't ever seem to do what I want them to do.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think our Troops choices are points-sinks, so I prefer the Flesh Tearers Strike Force. Single Troop requirement filled by Cassor the Damned, from the Shield of Baal: Deathstorm campaign book. [A DC Dread with a 5 point tax to make him a Troop choice.] I'm the first to admit that the bonus initiative is useful against most armies, but against Initiative 1-3, or 6-10, it has no benefit. Further, you're required to spend more points on Troops, when you could have more points for Fast Predators, or Elite Jump Pack units.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2015, 07:00:10 PM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
I've never felt like tactical squads are very mobile regardless of what they are in.  Rhinos work in larger numbers but in small ones they are easily killed. Drop pods are a little right to kill but not much but they let me cross half the board.

I can stick one of the tactical squads in a drop pod and leave the pod empty if I feel like I need mobility.

I don't know if a CAD would be better or not. Obsec vs a boost to iniative. It may depend on the mission. I will have to play test. I think the initiative boost is more fun but not necessarily superior.

Dreadnoughts in ravens are fun.  I could drop the baal predator and replace it with a fresh company dreadnought with blood claws. I would have a ton starting in reserve.

Bikes with furious charge and red thirst are nasty. Especially six squads of them.

The drop pod units aren't meant to do much. They are meant to get in your face and make you deal with
Them while my heavy hitters get into position.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2015, 07:05:01 PM by Ludo »
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2015, 07:01:33 PM »
Everyone has FC, regardless of Detachment. You get to... strike earlier in combat, when you charge... if you go with the BSF.