News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Making a Game table! [FINAL PIC!]  (Read 13839 times)

Offline Chrono

• Spamming Wave Serpents Before It Was COOL!!!
  • Armies: Eldar
Re: Making a Game table!
« Reply #60 on: November 8, 2007, 07:11:30 PM »
ya that is always a good thing so u can mix up the board every game. And i saw that type of foam when i was buying the foam for my table.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Kindred

• Solitaire Llama Lord | Not a Mass Murderer
  • PINK!
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #61 on: November 9, 2007, 11:25:08 PM »
but, in addition to moving the pieces around, it also makes transport somewhat easier... :) (i.e. I can fit 4 2x4 sections in my car... I can not fit a 4x8 sheet in...)
Solitaire Llama (Also known as the Dali Llama)
WS10 BS10 S5 T5 I1 A1 Sv1+
Spit, Neck Throw, Guardian of the Sheep

Offline Col.Chaos

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2007, 08:38:42 PM »
   The foam you are using is it just regular old styrofoam?  PVA glue what is it and what department would I find it in?   Thanks in advance

Offline Chrono

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2007, 11:21:10 PM »
The foam isn't just regular packing styrofoam. it is insulating styrofoam and particularly high density stuff. It comes in 2' x 8' sheets at every big building supply store. For example home depot or rona lancing if u are in canada.
The sheets cost around 13$ or something for 1" thick sheet. It comes in 1/2" and 2" thick as well. For a different cost pretty proportional to the amount of foam.
The reason people use this stuff is since there are no bubbles... It is really smooth, and looks great since when examined close it is so clean. Regular styrofoam is horrible!! in comparison.
And PVA glue u can get anywhere from a craft store in the glue area, or a dollar store probably in the school and craft supply area, or in a home depot in the PAINT area usually.

UPDATE.
Man sealing off rivers at the end is frustrating. I am going over cautious to make sure that NOTHING will leak.
- so i filled one of the rivers with envirotex yesterday. Will take a few days to dry before i can make a final comment on the stuff. Hope it doesn't beslubber up since the weather is so cold.. but i don't have another option really.
- it was simple enough to use from what i did so far. Mix equal parts, and a little paint/ink., pour in, exhale over it to make bubbles dissappear.
- man does it ever stink though.

I am really busy though these days.
but it is SOO close to beind done now. Just need to ensure the second river is sealed, then fill it up too. I am so excited to play on it :D
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Chrono

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
Okay. I AM SOOOOO CLOSE TO BEING DONE.
well for the most part i am done.
But i realized a few days ago that the second river i poured has a tacky surface... and was like??? since the big one has a hard surface that isn't sticky at ALL! like glass it is really cool :P.
Then i went to my garage and realized that there was still a bunch of one of the 2 resin components in one of the bottles :S.Since after measuring the 2 large amounts of resin for hte big river i had equal amounts in each of the bottles left over exactly. SO i figured i would just empty them into 1 cup straight off since they were like the same... but i guess since they flowed out at such a slow speed. like the thinnest stream ever i thought it was basically empty... when in fact it wasn't. So essentially the ratio wasn't perfect and now i have to deal with it again. It is hard.. just tacky. So I am wondering how i can fix this. I don't feel like buying more envirotex to do another thin coat. I heard of something called acrylic gloss medium. Would this go on and dry clear and non tacky on top of my water surface without loosing what i have right now. (THe water still looks good just not good to touch.. so i want to preserved the layer of water in there right now and nwo cover it up with something opaque or anything).
Anyways any ideas would help a lot.

and i took the table into my hosue. So it is DONE except for the tacky water which i need to solve first. Since the river boarders are still on because i haven't decided how to solve the second river problem i am not going to take pics till i quickly finish that. But all i can say is man is it awkward ot move this thing around
it weight like 60 lbs... and is 4' x 6' x 1.5'. It barely fit around corners and down the stairs to my basement. When storing u can have it standing up so it doesn't take much space. But when placed ontop a table it is massive, yet very stable even on a table less then 1/3 the size due ot hte frame of the board. :D
Anyway i can't wait to play on it.. hopefully saturday.. and i will take pics i promise.

so .. any tips on finishing hte surface to make it not tacky on the river i messed up on???
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline in_jeopardy

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
If you've got some purity seal, I'd say try that in a small corner of the tacky river and see how it fares.

How long have you left that river dry for? It may be that it just needs some more time.

Offline Chrono

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »
It is definitely an error on my part.
my other river which is big and deep like almost 3/4" all in 1 pour dried in 2 days. And is amazing. This one has been sitting for 4 or 5 days now at least and is like 1/4" deep and has a tacky surface though still looks nice.
It is all my fault... but i just need to fix it now.

oh and here is a dim pic i quickly took since i figured u guys might want to see. I will take some actual pics with good lighting when everything is in order and the river baracades are removed etc. http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=32475
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Chrono

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2007, 02:51:26 AM »
Oh and ya that is a stuka bomber on the table... don't ask... :P
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Windowlicker

Re: Making a Game table! [FINAL PIC!]
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2007, 02:16:40 PM »
ooo
nice :D
very nice job, very neat and shiney

Offline ckblum

• I love Jesus!!
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2007, 07:05:55 PM »
You could try using some high quality varnish. Diamond hard finish would... well make it diamond hard, except Im not sure if it would react somehow to improperly cured resin. Experiment with a dab on the edge or something. It it goes well just brush it over the entire river and it should dry super clear and super hard. I might just use the varnish all on its own for my rivers since it can be built up in a few coats pretty thick and needs no mixing.

Other than that its looking great. I can wait to start mine, which is gonna be more looks I think too because I come from a scale modeling and model R&R background.
My army is powered by Jesus so no one can beat it.

Offline MrJuice

• Tabletop Games
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
I would have to assume that if the surface is still tacky, you were slightly short in the curing agent department. Cause if it was the other way around it would have cured completely, just a whole lot sooner. Take some of what you have left and go over the surface of the tacky areas, depending on what youve used it might do the trick. If not, you are only left with 'covering up' the uncured resin. Hit it with either a clearcoat spray, varnish has been suggested and would work, or even a layer of future floor wax would do.

Offline Chrono

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2007, 10:39:35 PM »
I have that diamond hard varnish actually. But wouldn't like a thin coat on to a surface not be diamond hard. Like it is sticky as in .. like REALLY REALLY thick goop. U can poke your nails fully into it with force. But i doubt it is going to run anywhere. So won't a thin coat like just crack or something. Actually maybe not. But what i would be more worried about is it going white. U know when u spray varnish over like clear plastic it gets foggy for some wierd reason right??? Or am i thinking of something else. But I don't want that to happen here. /I need to just like try stuff out. I ahve been busy recently. Soo I will try all these options.. and see what works. I don't mean to shoot down ideas.. since i will actually try them until something works.. just theorizing on what could go wrong :S.

@mr juice:

although it is hard to tell the colour from the low quality pic i put up :
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=32475
I ended up painting teh grass to make it vibrant. But i must admit that before painting it i had dark and medium green from woodland scenics.. that it looks really nice and realistic. So i now understand that it looks good even with out the bright colours that GW offers. If i had more big containers and colours i would even be happier with the mix. But 2 was more than enough for the table. used about 5/6 of the 2 containers.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Schrodinger

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19:08 AM »
I worked with a clear resin before (not the same brand as you are using, but still...) and had a piece of it cure badly.  As it turns out, the reaction was quite exothermic and melted through the thin plastic material I was using as a container.  As a result, some of the chemical spilled out causing an improper cure.

The resin ended up having a tacky finish as you describe, (I was able to stick a toothpick into the piece, it was so soft) so I abandoned the piece and left it forgotten in the basement.  I discovered it after about a month to find that the cure had finally completed, no tack surfaces or soft material remained.

So, your dilemma could be solved by time.   Lots of time.

Offline Gerrie

• Peace through superior firepower.
    • Corvus' Miniatures
« Reply #73 on: December 5, 2007, 02:17:21 AM »
good to see you were able to finish this thing, very well done!

Offline Chrono

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »
Alright. I ended up just spraying the river with varnish. It worked by removing the tackyness. I sprayed maybe 3 coats to be safe. However a lot of the gloss was lost due to this, and it is slightly less transparent... but overall i am happy i don't have to worry about it anymore. I removed the side walls, puttied up the sides where there was damage etc from the barriers and painted it black again. Unfortunaltly the lighting in my basement right now is pretty poor.. and we all know how ugly flash makes things look so here are some final pics!

http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34303
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34300
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34279
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34282
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34285
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34288
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34291
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34294
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=34297

-edit- corrected the links.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:33:48 PM by Kindred »
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline Kindred

• Solitaire Llama Lord | Not a Mass Murderer
  • PINK!
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2007, 03:34:54 PM »
I corrected th elinks in the above message. There is no component with itemID=999999 and the gallery is Itemid=837

Please use correct links when posting... especially from the internal gallery
Solitaire Llama (Also known as the Dali Llama)
WS10 BS10 S5 T5 I1 A1 Sv1+
Spit, Neck Throw, Guardian of the Sheep

Offline ckblum

• I love Jesus!!
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »
It looks good and all, for a park. I have to be honest but I liked it better in the pic showing just after you applied the sand. It doesnt really look like a battlefield at all, but it still looks good. Whatever makes you happy.
My army is powered by Jesus so no one can beat it.

Offline Chrono

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2007, 06:29:59 PM »
hehe ya i know what u mean. It was made to be all nice and clean. But i agree it doesn't look like a battle field for 40k especially. Hey u never know when the eldar might be attacked while playing in their nice city park. If i ever decided to make it look damaged though i would think it would be very easy. Just go over the board with a big ass airbrush using dark browns greys etc...
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
It looks good and all, for a park. I have to be honest but I liked it better in the pic showing just after you applied the sand. It doesnt really look like a battlefield at all, but it still looks good. Whatever makes you happy.

In video games, I love battlefields that start out as beautiful pristine places! Games like Company of Heroes and World In Conflict especially are great examples of this. However, they have the ability to pour pure ruin into places like these every time an artillery shell lands/bomb goes off/etc with dynamic terrain/object alteration. 40k doesn't have this ability unless you make modular pieces with it in mind, like craters, burned out trees, destroyed versions of buildings, etc to put down throughout the course of the game. This would be difficult as you'd be nearly doubling your work and tedious to add another task to gameplay.

It would be very interesting to incorporate "destructible terrain" rules into 40k. Whenever blasts/barrages go off, put appropriately sized craters counting as 5+ cover. Buildings/bunkers could have different protective qualities depending on if they are standing or ruined, and woods could be burned to ashes via incendiary weapons. Of course, the existing rules set doesn't balance for this very well, so it would need some adjustment and possibly additions to certain army lists to work.

At any rate, your table would be the perfect one to do something like this to. One of the disadvantages of your board is that it is not modular and will be the same every time you play on it. Destructible terrain rules would change the battlefield every turn, giving troops new cover to hide in, forcing them to flee from what used to be a position of saftey, opening up new routes for vehicular maneuvering or closing them off entirely.

It would be difficult to pull off though. However, I've played on both static boards (built to stay as they are like yours) and on boards with movable terrain. I've found that the biggest difference tends not to be the variety involved, but the surfaces in general. Modular boards tend to be much easier to arrange models on, while static boards may have beautiful set pieces which are very difficult to use because models simply won't stand up on them, or will be forced into odd/detrimental formations. You seem to have done a good job making large playable areas on your board, so I doubt it will be much an issue.

Great job, enjoy!  :)

Offline Chrono

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »
Ya i tried to keep enough large flat areas to make placing models easier but i admit it won't be the same as playing on my modular terrain piece that i just put on a battle mat. I found that on my table one can incorporate modular smaller terrain pieces such as small ruins no bigger than like 6"x6" in various places of teh baord to add to some variety in the table. Also all the trees can be removed and easily put back if u are really in the mood for something different. But despite all this it will never be the same as a purely modular board and i knew that going into the project.

I would be pretty neat though to have destroyable terrain rules but would be difficult to employ into the current rules, unless it was some mission specific stuff. "attacker - burn the forests : Defender - stop them!!"

i think my influence on this table was more the nice warhammer boards from a long time ago where everything was so clean. in the 40k universe though this type of setting is pretty unrealistic. but it doesn't stop me from enjoying it.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!