News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62155 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #240 on: September 8, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »
Thanks again for the support guys.  :)

And I’ve got some big news too.  Long time on the making this.  Moment of truth...I’m unveiling the bases.

First, the Celestial Lions:

With a link:

Celestial Lion Intercessor Squad - Album on Imgur

You might have also noticed that I’ve finally painted the sergeant’s head too!  All these bases need, when they’re fully dry that is, is a quick dry brush of Tyrant Skull to fully bring them out.  And there’s one marine who needs his back pack straps repainted.  But I’d say that these minis are done!  And in less than two years too! :D

And also, there are the bases of the Overlords:

Now these aren’t as far along as the Marine bases.  The Martian Ironcrust hasn’t had a chance to dry and crack yet, nor have I applied the dry brush of ryza rust and tyrant skull either.  And the edges will need several more layers too.  But I am really really happy with the choice!  The red seems to make the minis pop (which they’ve been lacking) and conjures up images of a fantastical metallic landscape perfect for the realm of Chamon.

What do you guys think? :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #241 on: September 8, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »
I'm loving those Overlord bases, cannot wait to see the end result on them ;D! I really like the texture on the Celestial Lion Bases that you chose, but I think they need a small bit of extra detail to make them pop out more. I think some Valhallan Snow would complete these bases really well! Other than that, congrats on reaching the basing stage for your armies! Big feats, keep us posted on your next efforts :)!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2018, 08:10:47 AM »
Thanks Myen’Tal!  I appreciate the feedback!  :)

I’ve got some small updates here:

I’ve finished the bases of those Arkanauts.  Drybrushed Rryza Rust and Tyrant Skull over them.  I’ve also painted some areas of them in cloth.  And I don’t think you can see it but I painted their pressure gages in an enamel colour.  I’m aiming to paint more blue glowing areas on them very soon too.  Oh, and the special weapons still need painted and attached.

But I’m feeling a lot better about them now.  There was a long period where I was worried I’d made a mistake in my choice of scheme for them, but the bases really helped out in that regard.

Oh, and you probably can’t see it but I also drybrushed Tyrant Skull over the Lion’s bases:

And I touched up the details on the sergeant’s face.  Like you said, they might still require some snow, but otherwise I think these guys are done!  And all within 2 years of getting them too.  Horray!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
Huzzah!

I'd second the idea of some patchy snow on the Celestial Lions' bases. The recipe I use is baking soda, pva and a blob of off-white (I use cheapy eBay paint rather than expensive GW stuff for this). Takes a while to get the quantities right as too much baking soda dries it out too quickly, but if you're doing big batches of the stuff it's much easier.

Just sort of heavily drybrush that over the rough surface will work a treat :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice Ynneadwraith!  :)

I’ve been very busy today.  First, I started basing the other Intercessors:

Then I started basing my Admiral whilst fixing his quilted pelt collar as best I can:

Still not sure about it but it is tied in better with the others.  Detail is probably lost though.  :-\

Then I made more progress on my Hellblasters.  The sergeant most of all:

Thanks for following!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
Those bases turned out quite lovely, Calamity, especially like how those martian red bases came out on the overlords. That rock with the mineral deposit on it for your admiral looks great! Also nice work on the Hellblaster Sergeant, he's looking pretty snazzy, love the highlighting on the plasma coils :).

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »
 Thank you so much Myen’Tal!  Really glad you like the bases!  :)

Today I managed to get the bases on all my Intercessors finished.  I also finished the base of the Admiral, and I made a start on the second company:

Hopefully I’ll get started on the Khemist’s base asap too.  I’ve gotten a lot of time off so I’m aiming to get a lot more productive now.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #247 on: October 3, 2018, 04:35:21 AM »
I'm not going to beat about the bush on this one:

I love the concept of both sets of bases. I don't love the finish.

I think the bases need to be shaded down more, then dry brushed back up. At the moment they appear a bit 'flat' and 'soupy'. I'm sorry I can't be more positive, but I think you've painted some terrific models and the bases are letting them down a bit at the moment.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #248 on: October 3, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
@ Looshkin

Ah, I know what it is.  When I took those pics, the bases were still drying.  These texture paints look really blobby when drying.  I probably shouldn’t have done that.  Plus, it’s a really poor camera if I’m honest.

Here are the same models with the texture paint dry and the drybushing applied, along with more aetheric blue spots applied too:

Seriously, my crap camera isn’t doing the detail any justice.  They’re much better in person I swear. :P

And while I’m here, I’m making progress on others:

I’m going to have a long hard think about my presentation on this blog though.  It’s so sloppy!  And I will endeavour to wait until the texture paint drys in future! :D
« Last Edit: October 3, 2018, 04:21:03 PM by Calamity »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #249 on: October 3, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »
Ah, ok. I see. They do look a lot better in those latest photos. They still look as though they could have a little more contrast, but as you say, crappy cameras don't do models any favours whatsoever!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #250 on: October 5, 2018, 08:10:20 PM »
I'm still wondering if I need to apply another colour to the metal areas, to break them up a bit.  But at this stage I'm worried about messing them up.

On the gaming front, I've yet to win a game with the Overlords since before the 2017 GHB.  Last night I played Shifting Objectives against a Seraphon force laid by the Celestant Prime.  Good game.  Killed the Slann in turn 1, killed the Prime in turn 2, and only lost because deepstriking Ripperdactyls are lethal.  Final score was 8-11, with 1020pts dead to his 880pts.  Not too bad by my standards.

Tonight I played Total Commitment against the Ironjawz.  Dice totally let me down, again.  Rolled nothing but 1s and 2s, even with rerolls.  Except for bravery tests.  Only then did the 5s and 6s come out.  The few times my Skyhooks and cannons actually wounded the Maw Crushas (plural), my opponent proceeded to pass every single save.  Two whole turns of failing to kill anything.    Final score 4-11, with 1440pts dead to his...180pts.  Total massacre.  The Doppelganger cloak on a Mawcrusha Megaboss didn't help things, but when literally nothing in your army works on account of the dice, you're doomed regardless.  :P

I’ve decided to go nasty in future.  I’m throwing fluff out the window and building a super shooty gun line force.  Multiple khemists buffing as many skyhooks and endrinriggers as I can fit into 2000pts.  I’ve been resisting this urge for as long as I can, but trying to be fluffy isn’t getting me anywhere. :D
« Last Edit: October 5, 2018, 08:23:35 PM by Calamity »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
Yeah the dry bases are definitely better :) still think they could do with just a little more embellishment. You can get little packs of cogs and gears on eBay. A little sprinkle of those around (with a little texture paint tying them into the base) would really take them to the next level :)

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
Hello everyone!  Sorry for the lack of activity of late.  I blame work for that.  I’ve got a tournament in Wicklow this Sunday to go too, and I’ve decided to bring some magical back up for my Overlords:

I can’t believe this guy only costs a fiver, and that includes a big book too!

@ Ynneadwraith

I’ve been researching ideas for the bases, and a friend showed me a third party supplier who make grassy tufts in all colours, including red!  I’ll try to find a pic but they had potential.

I’m inspired by the surface of mars from destiny for these.  It’s still red, but now after terraforming it has vegetation.  Plus grey rocks.  No blue crystals though.  ;D

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2018, 04:36:09 AM »
yeah that one auto-dispel is awesome and then just do a karmakazi run in to nuke a champ :)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
If you can pick up the Stormcast endless spells, I highly recommend adding the comet spell to your army with this guy. It's 100pts, but does a lot of damage.

I think a knight incantor and the comet is an auto-include in any order army.

Either way, the knight incantor is a great add. Especially with all the great realm-spells depending on which realm you play in.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
Nice, Calamity, I've been eyeing that model myself! Should have probably acquired him along with the Stormcast Endless Spells, but I opted for the Spells and some Dice Bags instead. The Knight Incantor doesn't fit in my current list anyway, unless I substituted my Lord Arcanums on Gryph-Charger and Celestial Dracoline for a Lord Arc. on Big Tarus Creature, then I can fit him in there. But I'm not in a hurry to go out and buy that bad boy  ;D.

Back on topic, the Knight Incantor is a reliable choice, I don't think you could wrong with him! I agree with Killersquid, the Stormcast Endless Spells are pretty solid, the all-star being the Everblaze Comet.

Hopefully, I'll be taking that spell for a whirl this weekend, if I can get my stormcast in for a game this saturday ;D.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #256 on: November 7, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
Yeah some little grass tufts (and maybe a few mid-size rocks scattered around) would work perfectly :)

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #257 on: November 9, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »
Hey guys, how’s it going?  :)

Since we last spoke, I’ve been in another tournament, and played a couple of games too.  Ups and downs; I suffered one of my worst ever defeats, suffered another two defeats that came down to a single dice roll or shooting attack (major wins if they went my way) and also my first win in months!

I’ve abandoned ships in my lists, and I’m going full gunline.  Something like this:

2 khemists
1 knight incantor with everblaze comet
x4 20 Arkanauts with 6 skyhooks
x2 6 Endrinriggers

and I’m having much more success.  Although I’ve only scored 1 win, games have been much closer and I’ve been fighting down to the wire (with one exception) rather than weakly folding out.

On the mini front, I’m getting those little red grass tufts for my Arkanauts, and I’m planning to build and/or paint some more this weekend.  But there’s something else.  Look at what I found:

I found Pirazzo’s Lost Legion!  I bought these guys years ago, with the intention of building an alternative Empire army, but I had to shelf them due to life commitments. 

But now I’ve dug them out of my dad’s place and the project resumes, in AoS form!  I think they’ll make a great Freeguild force.  Ironically, what with their looted lizardman treasures, they actually suit the AoS aesthetic better than the Empire range imo.  ;D

Some issues though; I’ve only got 25 of them.  I’m short 5 crossbowmen.  And Pirazzo is missing his sword.  Oh, and there’s only one set on sale that I can see, and it’s £145.  So...tricky.  :-\

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #258 on: November 9, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »
Great to hear about your new found success with the Overlords, Calamity. 80 Arkanauts is quite a bit of infantry to chew through and a good amount of firepower to bring to bear on an enemy!

How is the Knight Incantor working for you? Is the Everblaze comet doing the good work for your Overlords?

Also, nice find, don't know much about the Legion except that their Dogs of War. Should be a good time painting them I think.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #259 on: December 25, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone!  :)

Sorry for the lack of activity.  I’ve been working and traveling around a lot recently, but I’m back to normal in the new year.  In fact, one of my New Years resolutions is to stick to painting at least one unit a week.

@ Myen’Tal

The Knight Incantor is working out fantastical!  The comet is a real strategic asset, that helps me interfere with my opponent’s deployment strategies.  Even without it, the Knight helps protect me from enemy magic, and he’s actually a pretty strong fighter in his own right too.  I don’t know how I got by without him!

I’m planning to post up pics of my near finished hellblasters tomorrow.  They just need their squad symbols attached, which I’ve yet to order.  I figured they’d be a good place to start back on because they’re easy to paint and are nearly finished anyway.

Oh hey, another announcement...I’m starting grots!  I’m sure you’ve all seen the teasers, and I’ve been literally waiting for night goblins to drop since the game was released.  I even bought the totem from Battle For Skull Pass 2 years ago in anticipation of this release! :D