News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Zero divided by zero equals= ????  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
Re:Zero divided by zero equals= ????
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2003, 05:43:52 AM »
But i don't understand this:
Also, I believe that
0/0 = 0 * 1/0
However, the 1/0 term should be treated as infinity, as the limit of 1/x as x approaches zero is +/- infinity. Zero times infinity is undefined, which is consistent with 0/0 being undefined.
1/0 is also undefined if your defintion is correct.

You're basicly defining "/" with b is not 0 -> I didn't define 0/0 -> it's undefined. this is correct according to your definition, but you should be consequent. 1/0 is also undefined according to your definition.
You are quite right that my definition excludes the possibility of dividing by zero, basically because it violates the equivalent relations in the division definition.

However, that doesn't stop the rearranging of the equation, without resolving the "/0" part.

Then it is possible to consider the limit as the denominator approaches zero and evaluate the limit of the equation.

However, in the case of 0/0, with the rearrangement that Kharandhil used, the limit was 0 * infinity, which remains undefined.

It would be possible to resolve that limit further by considering the limit as the second term tends to infinity (result = 0), the limit as the first term tends to zero (infinity), or the limit as the terms approach zero and infinity respectively (potentially any real number).

If you consider the way in which you come across a 0/0, then it may be possible to define the limit of that particular 0/0, by the use of l'Hopital's Rule, which is more or less what I did with the three dimensional surface explanation.

Spirit Seer,
You are quite correct that at a foundation level, there are a number of axioms that all of this is based upon. Everything else is a construction upon those axioms. However, the disagreement here has not been about the axioms themselves, but about things that can be proven given those axioms. Thus, given certain axioms, there is a right answer, in this specific instance, that there isn't a single answer to 0/0.

I don't believe Kharandhil was trying to say that 1/0 = 0, but that 0*anything = 0, with 1/0 fitting into the anything set. The flaw in that logic is that 1/0 does not fit into the anything set, or more specifically, the real numbers set.

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2003, 11:51:06 AM »
you all do realize you are using axioms to prove your reasoning? Not laws, axioms! Axioms are not proven, thus you cannot prove your arguement with something that is unproven. I think kharandhil needs to look at others points of views. Also, let's see if we can be a bit more humble. (how pointless to ask)

................... ...

we always have to use axioms, cause the base of algebra isd based on an axiom
have you wondered where 0 ,1,2,3,4,...
0 ? an axiom
1 ? an axion
2 =1 + 1
3 = 2 +1
and so on
but there is no way to prove
that was one of the things my teacher told.....a few years ago

Kei'Ariq you are corect, but still not completely (everything you said was right, but there is something missing...)

the something missing.....is the this
 this 0/X=0 and 0=X*0 are equal (the same.... >:( )
the main point about doing 0* or 0 : ,is that the 0 really matters

look ,when you have an equation ,when you want to put something to the other side (in all equation it's the same ,but in some the these things become less clear ,because you have to .......)
: becomes * and * becomes :
+ becomes -  and - becomes +
(remember that there has to be like this ,  z : y =x <->  z= x * y , the same with + and - , but remember x,y and z don't
here 0/x=0 ( / is deviding.......) so like i said it becomes 0*x=0
the 0 drives basicly everything to 0 itself ( only with * and :  )
the point is (to make all things clear and to.... )......prove that when you do 0* (a number ) or 0:  (a number ) it's basicly the same ,cause in an equation it's the same thing .....

i know  (but i do not hope so, but that will help them anyway...) that some of you won't be convinced maybe yet, so to give the final touch can somebody tell me how call   something opposite to an equation ,for example when you say that 2 is smaller then 5 ,
what's  the general name for    smaller then ,and bigger then (i know only,how it is called in dutch...)
Kei'Ariq ,must be able to help me .....
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2003, 08:28:33 PM »
the something missing.....is the this
 this 0/X=0 and 0=X*0 are equal (the same.... >:( )
the main point about doing 0* or 0 : ,is that the 0 really matters
The following statement is true for A is a member of the real numbers
0 * A = 0

If zero is excluded:
0 / A = 0
Infinity * A = Infinity

So if we have a situation where we have 0 * infinity, then we have one term (the zero) that forces the result to zero, and the other term (the infinity) that forces the result to infinity. As such we cannot provide a defined answer.

We can consider the limit cases:
1) As the first term tends to zero - limit infinity
2) As the second term tends to infinity - limit zero
3) As both terms tend towards zero and infinity respectively - any real number

i know  (but i do not hope so, but that will help them anyway...) that some of you won't be convinced maybe yet, so to give the final touch can somebody tell me how call   something opposite to an equation ,for example when you say that 2 is smaller then 5 ,
what's  the general name for    smaller then ,and bigger then (i know only,how it is called in dutch...)
Kei'Ariq ,must be able to help me .....
I am not entirely sure what you are asking for here, it is either an inverse, or an inequality.

Offline Spirit Seer

• Bow before the might of Iyanden foolish mon-keigh.
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2003, 09:33:11 PM »
i think that if we ever found the answer to this problem, the universe couldn't handle the number, as it would be too complicated, and everything would go *poof*.....

Like if someone went into the past and killed themselves.... or a ball enters a wormhole that takes it back in time, and the ball that went back in time prevents the original ball to go through the worm hole....

Let's just put it to rest.
-Seer
"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you still dare to oppose our will."

Offline Harlequin Archon

• Life is for the weak.
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2003, 09:36:26 PM »
0/A = 0

A/0 = undefined
Death is amoung us wheather we choose to be it or create it.

Please help save the Harlequins
http://www.eldaronline.com/community/index.php?board=44;action=display;threadid=37517

So we'll fight against the wind for the glory of the kings
                  to defeat our evil enemies
And we'll ride with our lord for the power and the throne
              in the name of holy thunderforce

Offline Hatchan

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Now with Super-Turbo-****Yoo Action!
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2003, 09:38:05 PM »
to quote my calculator

"Result of function is undefined"

i have WAY too much free time...

Offline Harlequin Archon

• Life is for the weak.
    • Save the Harlequins
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2003, 09:56:27 PM »
i relearned that last week in math

Math is starting to get monotonus for the last 3 years

And i hate my math teacher Mrs. Mineweiser

1 she cant teach

2 If she could she'ld be the upandcoming Mrs. Gil the worst bio teacher ever she's legendary at my school noone has ever liked her (but she knows how to teach)
Death is amoung us wheather we choose to be it or create it.

Please help save the Harlequins
http://www.eldaronline.com/community/index.php?board=44;action=display;threadid=37517

So we'll fight against the wind for the glory of the kings
                  to defeat our evil enemies
And we'll ride with our lord for the power and the throne
              in the name of holy thunderforce

Offline kharn012000

• The world is flat I tell you
  • I pick fights with fighting_scars!
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2003, 12:00:56 AM »
today in the QAMT problem solving competition, i ran into a problem whose answer was 0/0!

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2003, 04:26:30 AM »
today in the QAMT problem solving competition, i ran into a problem whose answer was 0/0!
Interesting; what was the problem?

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2003, 12:33:22 PM »
now i think this topic has no more any use ,cause for futher explanation i need some special mathematic vocabulary which i don't know in english
and it will all get too complicated
not all people understand what some of us write
so i don't think it's worth contunueing

i give up ,some battles can't be won ,this one is maeningless so i quit

if you want to learn about mathematics ,do it yourself on your own, then only if you have some probs you can come to us and ask us something you don't understand

The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline BLACKPHANTOM

• Did you no paint can explode?..Why? Um.. No Reason
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2003, 06:41:41 AM »
As far as I know, in the set of nice normal numbers (aka Reals) that most of of use ( I myself go Imaginary or complex every now and then, but thats only in math class or to confuse people) ANYTHING (including infinity)*0=0 (No matter how much stuff you have, if you take none of it you get nothing
Example- You own a huge apple growing place(I forgot the word) and it grows so many apples it might as weel be infinity.  If you take zero apples from each of your infinit trees, how many apples do you get? 0
also, ANYTHING/0=undifiend, cause you can argue through the roof for anything you want, so mathmaticians threw up there hands and started to shoot people who continued to ask them these questions (well not really, but that would be interesting if they did...)
Men   Wyches   Warlocks   Women
More likely to do drugs   Do drugs   Can’t do drugs   Less likely to do drugs
Often fools when comes thinking   No psychic powers   Have psychic powers   Can tell what you are thinking
Better a CC   Better a CC   Not best at CC, ok   Not best at CC, ok
Like Fast, Unsafe Cars.   Like Raiders   Like Waveserpents (usually)   Like Fast, Safe Cars (usually)
Male   Female   Male   Female
Hey wait, that last line doesn’t follow the pattern.  It should be Male Male Female Female
Sorry for any offence