News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2012 40KOnline UK Tournament!!!  (Read 96851 times)

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
Re: 2012 40KOnline UK Tournament!!!
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 05:03:36 AM »
Pg 79 Codex Space Marines 5th edition lists both Vengeance and Incendiary Castelan Missiles as Ordinance Blasts. Furthermore, I can't find the Helios pattern launcher as an upgrade in the codex (as I thought, but double checked), so it may well be a dedicated AA variant.
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 05:11:17 AM »
Hey,

Had not seen this had gone up. Please sign me up!

Guess I shall bring my bikes as I swore I would after last years outing.

- M4rt0k
Checkout the blog I contribute to here bloody-dice.blogspot.com

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 05:35:26 AM »
Welcome aboard M4rtok! good to have you back!

also, the Marines have got a dedicated AA in the form of the FW pattern. However, they are less than troubled on account of the fact that pretty much all of their vehicles have, or have access to pintle mounted weapons.

You'll note that the eldar and tau don't - which is why their "dedicated" AA cover should really be given the AA rule to help avoid a skewing caused by people taking flyers against them. (it still means they need to field those units, but its better than nothing!)

Offline Cpt_Lucifer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 05:46:36 AM »
Glad I spotted / was told about this in time. Was awesome good fun last year, sign me up please!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2012, 05:55:25 AM »
You two remember that this is just an interest list and that you should keep checking this thread as I'll tell everyone as soon as tickets go up on sale. THW was closed over the easter weekend so hopefully its going to take a bit of time for them to sort through their "to do".

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2012, 06:14:37 AM »
I have to say, having been on the receiving end of flyers before, the current AA rules really disadvantage Eldar.
At least the Tau Sky Ray is a fairly common sight in normal take all comer armies.

Unless I field a firestorm, I have no defense against flyers at all.
Since the firestorm is basically rubbish at anything else I'd be stupid to take it unless I am sure I will be facing flyers in every game, and anyway I don't want to buy one and shouldn't have to. I suggest we need to find some sort of compromise.

I was vocally anti-forgeworld last year as you may remember. But I was pleasantly surprised in the end.
However, I still have nightmares about being violated up the bottom by Tarrin's Remora the year before, and without any AA defense I would be totally screwed if it happened again.

Giving pintle mounts the AA rule is great for Imperial armies who have stormbolters and stubbers out the wazoo. Those of us who don't will struggle.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2012, 06:21:02 AM »

I think we should probably wait for the rules pack to come out before we start along the road of unit and rules exception, no?

And yes, the Helios is the Forgeworld weapon option I was refering to.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2012, 07:03:21 AM »
Of course, but I wrote the pack and know whats in it! (pretty much teh same as last years one to be honest... with additional mention of Tarrins sullied victories of course.

See, this is what i'm talking about... nasty remora bottom burping and then dice god soul eating shenanigans! this cannot be allowed to continue!

The thing with eldar is they get an in-built defence in teh form of volume of mid strength fire. Scatter lasers, shuriken cannons and starcannons all provide a mass of gunfire which are perfect for bringing down pretty much all flyers (bear in mind that bombers are out of bounds given they have structure points and pretty much everything left has AV 10 or 11). The shorter range of their guns is also mitigated by their higher mobility.

There are armies that are far worse off... I remember g00gle5 desperately trying to get is Necrons to deal with my Tau Barracuda!

In any case, I'm pretty certain that I am the only guy who has ever brought along a flyer (and on more than one occassion at that!) so I suppose that should be referred to as "the rule of oink".

I think that, for the most part (popsical excluded) we are not out for creating beardy armies to come along with so people insert one, maybe two sensible (and cool) forgeworld units and have fun with it.

On that note I do have one thing to say which I came across from Maelstrom Games (in particular reference to their pre heresy weekends). They initially had a bunch of people coming along with regular plastic drop pods and using the (rather nasty) dreadnought assault drop pod rules from FW. They then imposed a rule that noted that if you wanted to use the FW assult pod then you must use the FW model to represent it (or a suitable look-a-like conversion) - not simply take a buff offered by the rules!

I'm keen to also dictate this as a way to further deterring people from simply taking powerful units for rules advantages without having the decency to use appropriate models.

What do you guys think on that?

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »
I'm keen to also dictate this as a way to further deterring people from simply taking powerful units for rules advantages without having the decency to use appropriate models.

that seems like a sensible idea, as the tournament already enforces wysiwyg
I have to say, having been on the receiving end of flyers before, the current AA rules really disadvantage Eldar.
At least the Tau Sky Ray is a fairly common sight in normal take all comer armies.

Unless I field a firestorm, I have no defense against flyers at all.
Since the firestorm is basically rubbish at anything else I'd be stupid to take it unless I am sure I will be facing flyers in every game, and anyway I don't want to buy one and shouldn't have to. I suggest we need to find some sort of compromise.

I was vocally anti-forgeworld last year as you may remember. But I was pleasantly surprised in the end.
However, I still have nightmares about being violated up the bottom by Tarrin's Remora the year before, and without any AA defense I would be totally screwed if it happened again.

Giving pintle mounts the AA rule is great for Imperial armies who have stormbolters and stubbers out the wazoo. Those of us who don't will struggle.

dont forget that flyers reduce the range of your guns. so having 12 inch storm bolters that still need 6's to glance isn't really that great...

the only armies that should really be nefed by flyers are the grey knights and the necrons and they dont have the range to shoot them down
oink is a nancy!

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »
Of course, but I wrote the pack and know whats in it! (pretty much teh same as last years one to be honest... with additional mention of Tarrins sullied victories of course.
Bully for you but a bit restrictive for us, especially us new scroats who didn't go last year....  :-\

I thought WISIWYG was standard in any game! The ocasional "This plasma gun is actually a meltgun" you can get away with but (and I've seen this) "This Rhino is really a batttle wagon" is a joke.

Your rule is fair and firm.

Just to confirm, the Flyer rules from Apoc are being used, right?

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Oi! I had no forge world last year!
The list was more than a little cheesy I will admit tho :-)
This year I will be forge worlding with 3 units but no flyers.
Tau marker lights shouldn't lose distance versus flyers, as light doesn't drop off at range.
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2012, 08:40:56 AM »
I believe they are still the most up to date ones. yes, though please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Also on that note, any non-codex units (including flyers) must always use the most up to date rules. This is important because there are a number of units that have had several rules prints.

As usual, you must also bring along the relevant rules you need for your army... So, if you wanted to bring a flyer for example you may need to bring the rules publication (or print out), the apocalypse rules for flyers as well as any associated FAQ.

If in doubt of what book has the most up to date rules for a unit you want to use then ask here.

also poppy... everything loses distance, but consider it as being even more difficult to pinpoint your target as at those distances you can't even see where your laser dot is!!

As mentioned, I doubt if anyone is even bringing along flyers anyway... its not something you see very often mostly because the flyers themselves tend to be prohibitively expensive for what they bring, and your army has to generally be tailored specifically to fit them in for best effect.

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »
Just teasing ;-p
Flyers don't worry me tbh, I fought tarrins with my nids, it just forces you to close the distance faster and get into assault.
Once in assault your safe and they become pretty redundant.
Looking forward to this year as ever, best tourney around imho.
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
Great O:nk

Thanks for the general clear up. Kinda wishing I hadn't packed away Gerald my Wraithseer.  ::)

Offline Gormag888

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »
I'm in, last year was great, but do I take the Eldar, or World eaters???

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
Bully for you but a bit restrictive for us, especially us new scroats who didn't go last year....  :-\

I thought WISIWYG was standard in any game! The ocasional "This plasma gun is actually a meltgun" you can get away with but (and I've seen this) "This Rhino is really a batttle wagon" is a joke.

i've seen players try to use gaurdsmen as terminators before...

The list was more than a little cheesy I will admit tho :-)

its was full on mature cheddar mr rip van winkle!

I'm in, last year was great, but do I take the Eldar, or World eaters???

well that would depend whether or the chaos get a new book before the event...
oink is a nancy!

Offline Cpt_Lucifer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
Not on the list yet and limited places....

SIGN ME UP PLEASE!!!

Added volume through CAPSLOCK  ;D Dont want to miss out as was awesome last year...

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
i've seen players try to use gaurdsmen as terminators before...
I think in this case your actually allowed to point and laugh.

well that would depend whether or the chaos get a new book before the event...
Or indeed the Eldar!!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
Our interest list is pretty chocked now consdiering that I'd expect Col.Gravis to bring along his merry band of winners. I've removed myself and g00gle5 from this because its looking less likely that we will both be playing! I'll probably act as a floater (in the sense that I'll jump in if numbers are odd... rather than stare up at you from the bog during your toilet breaks).

with most of the official places looking like they will be filled (though it depends on whether you guys actually purchase the tickets!!!) g00gle3 and I will be considering increasing the number places as THW has a little bit more capacity if I think we can fill it!!!

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
In regards to Forgeworld- I think it would be fair for players to state in advance which FW units/rules they'll be using so those of us with little or no experience of FW can look them up and not spend entire games being constantly surprised by the brokeness...