News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt Path to Glory Tournament Report  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1500pt Path to Glory Tournament Report
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »
So, yesterday I participated in a 20-person tournament in Barrie, called Path to Glory. It's the first event in a league of sorts, where player points will be carried over for an overall prize, along with prizes for individual events.

Prize pool was amazing, and the missions strongly encouraged use of Objective Secured units, but were still playable if you didn't (which was nice).

I brought my Black Legion army

Terminator Lord with combi-melta, chainfist and MoS

3 terminators, all with Combi-meltas. One chain fist, one lighting claw and one power sword. Mark of Slaanesh.

Helbrute with Multi-Melta and combi-bolter

5 Chaos Marines,MoS, with lighting claw on the champion and a rhino.

5 Chosen, MoS, with 3 flamers, power sword on champion and a rhino

5 noise marines with 3 sonic blaster, one blast master and a rhino

5 noise marines with 3 sonic blaster, one blast master, combi-bolter on the champion and a rhino

5 havocs with MoS, 3 missile launchers

2 obliterators, Mos

2 obliterators, Mos

Game 1, had five objectives. One in the middle, one in each deployment zone and two in no man’s lands.

Secondary objective used kill points.

four tertiary objectives (warlord, last kill, line breaker, and something else).

My opponent brought chaos tooooo!

Cyclopean Cabal (x3 sorcerers)

Lord with MoS
big unit of cultists
noise marines with a blast master
two helldrakes
big unit of nurgle spawn

necron reclamation legion
tomb spider
scarab swarm
five wraiths

Most of the objectives were on the left side, so I deployed an empty rhino on the right, along with my havocs (to draw something away) terminators and obliterators deep struck, everything else on the left.

Summery.
The power of the cyclopean cabal only came into play once. Mostly as my whole army is mechanized. He only cast it on my havocs, and they dealt two hull points to my rhino.

The main action of the game took place on the left flank. Where his wraiths pounced in and wrecked two of my rhinos. The Chosen however were amazing and held up the wraiths in combat for four rounds. Additionally, a single wounded obliterator held up a sorcerer, 17 cultists and a chaos lord in combat from turn 3, until the game ended (lol).
The helbrute killed the tomb spider, but he then decided to fire-frenzy into heldrakes instead of charging wraiths (sigh).
It was a bit of an uphill battle for me, but his spawn played no part in the actual game (chasing after my havocs, which held no objective). At the end of the game, he had one objective and I had none. I almost tied for objectives, but a damaged rhino crashed, and exploded en route to an objective (lol).

I ended up losing 1-18 (I had one point for line breaker).

Game 2, was about controlling table quarters

Starting turn 2, at the top of your turn, you gained 1VP per table quarter you held. You hold by having more units and Obsec counts as 2 units.

My opponent’s army had a storm raven, 6? storm talons, coteaz, stern guard squad, chaplain, and a henchmen unit with plasma cannons.
He was able to deploy all but two of the storm talons in hover mode with infiltration due their formation.
Game is pretty easy to sum up. I dominated on table quarters (we stopped counting after turn four, as it was a lost cause for him). He dominated on kill points (all I killed was coteaz and the henchmen)
I lost 9-11 VP, as he had more tertiaries then I did.

Game three

This was king of the hill. One objective dead center, with 12” control range. Starting turn 2 at the top of your turn, VP’s equal to the turn number if you have more units within 12” then your opponent. Obsec units count as two.

My opponent had the bane blade variant with the S10 AP1 ignores cover gun, two leman russ eradicators, three leman russ battle tanks, two engineers and a company command squad.

This game went pretty well for me. There was a giant LoS blocking wall in the middle of the table, which divided the table in half and let me hide very well. I destroyed the super-heavy on turn 3, after taking 6 HP off on turn 2 with deep striking obliterators and the helbrute. Terminators deep struck behind the leman russ’s and proceeded to munch through one a turn. Ended up tabling him, except for the platoon command squad. I lost two rhinos, the chaos marines and the havocs. I didn’t get line breaker, and I didn’t get quite enough kill points to max on secondary, so I didn’t quite max out points.
1-15 win for chaos!!!

Game four against white scar battle company.

Objective grabbing mission.

One thousand rhinos/razorbacks
Khan
Chaplain
Bunch of havocs and devastator squads with grav cannons
Command squad with grav guns
Three whirlwinds
Two attack bikes
Land speeder

This was a pretty lousy game for me, but I achieved first blood (first turn charge with the helbrute, through terrain after he scouted), and warlord (khan took a power fist to the face from obliterators). Otherwise, I was tabled within five turns. Other outstanding moment, my chosen champion won two boons on the boon table and gained +1Ws and shred! Cool!
Not going to go into much more detail, but I was outnumbered and heavily out gunned. Great guy though, and I had a lot of laughs.

2-19 loss.

Overall, I placed roughly middle of the pack, which was cool! The winning army was a Eldar/Dark eldar army. I think second place with war convocation. Last place prize (dread fleet) went to my opponent from game three (with all the tanks).

I walked out of it winning a copy of Silver Tower, so I am pretty stoked about that! I had a lot of fun in all of my games.

Out of my army, the two units which preformed the worst, were the Havocs and the chaos marines. The ones which preformed the best, were the obliterators and helbrute. The helbrute clobbered something in every game. (except the game with the fliers, where it only stunned a storm raven).

Thanks for reading!

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: 1500pt Path to Glory Tournament Report
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time, against somec awesome opponents. I'm assuming you played in the Bayfield Mall. If I ever get a chance, I'll have to participate one day that my hectic schedule coincides with a tournament.

Great list by the way. Any thoughts of taking havoc launchers with the rhinos? I've had some pretty good success with them in the past, for their minimal upgrade cost.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
It looks as though you played on some impressive tables there.  The pictures of all the armies and the terrain are great.

I think that you did well to place middle of the pack, as some of those games looked pretty tough to me.  Well played on that, and on receiving The Silver Tower as a prize :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time, against somec awesome opponents. I'm assuming you played in the Bayfield Mall. If I ever get a chance, I'll have to participate one day that my hectic schedule coincides with a tournament.

Great list by the way. Any thoughts of taking havoc launchers with the rhinos? I've had some pretty good success with them in the past, for their minimal upgrade cost.

Yep, Bayfield Mall indeed. I had to clear the day off work a few months in advance in order to go. Entrence cost is pretty low, and they have prize support.

I don't usually upgrade guns on the rhino's. They die so quickly, I don't want to bother. Thought of adding in combi-meltas though, for anti-tank punch.

It looks as though you played on some impressive tables there.  The pictures of all the armies and the terrain are great.

I think that you did well to place middle of the pack, as some of those games looked pretty tough to me.  Well played on that, and on receiving The Silver Tower as a prize :).

Thanks! I definitely was not top tier, but I tried to play for the mission as much as I could, and the missions are well designed, so it's possible to win and have most your army blown off the table! (if you play smart).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria