News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Talos - Monstrous Creature  (Read 835 times)

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
Talos - Monstrous Creature
« on: September 24, 2004, 07:36:56 AM »
As the Talos is now considered a monstrous creature in 4th - which has brought its own disadvantages of course - e.g. it's now impossible to hide behind a screen of infantry.

I was wondering whether you feel a Talos could screen a (slow moving but important) Raider or perhaps a Ravager moving 6" to retain its survival after an immobilise result?

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
Re: Talos - Monstrous Creature
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 07:56:46 AM »
In 4th edition screening with other things than non-skimmer vehicles doesn't exist anymore at all.

If you are referring to those leadership tests that are required in order to shoot past a closer unit, i don't have the new rulebook yet but i'm quite sure that vehicles never require a Ld test to be singled out, no matter if another vehicle or monstrous creature is closer to the shooting unit.
I'm not sure about this though.

jwu

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 07:59:38 AM »
A Talos has got the advantage that as a monstrous creature, it counts as 10 models in CC. I never did count on blocking LOS.

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 08:02:02 AM »
Actually, the rules don't differentiate MC's and vehicles in this matter. Both are considered "Large Targets".

If large target A is closer than large target B, shooter has to take a Ld test to shoot at B.

So yes, talos can "Screen"......sort of.

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline Zhar

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 05:09:52 PM »
wyches and talos jsut own in cc togheter,

talos counts as 10 models while wyches does their dmg... and usually you outnumber by 3 or 4 with the 10 model talos so your make them fail the ld test and with the 6 I of the wyche, whiping retreating squad never been so easy :P i killed 14 necron warrior and 3 specters in a single shot MOUAHAHAHAH

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 07:46:39 PM »
I was thinking about P20 of the BGB where it states that Monstrous Creatures block line of sight.

Just before that bit that everyone knows about skimmers only blocking LOS if immobilised or wrecked.

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 05:49:37 AM »
Astutely spotted.

As a Monstrous Creature, a Talos will block line of sight. The reality is that it would be very difficult to obscure enough of a Raider or Ravager to protect them with a single Talos, but it might be possible to hide a vehicle with the aid of a large piece of terrain.

The only question mark is whether the skimmer nature of the Talos prevents it from blocking line of sight. I would imagine that it isn't a full blown skimmer, so would be like any other monstrous creature.

Offline Vincedis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • The eye of God, or the eye of terror?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 12:25:51 PM »
well in the FAQ it says that even though the talos is a skimmer you you treat it as a walker for hitting it. ie you don't need 6's to hit it in assault.

i would assume that this means that it is considered a walker in all respects including LoS.

The reality is that it would be very difficult to obscure enough of a Raider or Ravager to protect them with a single Talos

you could give it hull down at least :-) for a ravager moving 6" its better than nothing.
would you like to be, err... SEE my trophy rack?

'ard boyz tournament rules http://us.games-workshop.com/news/events/other_events/ardboys/default.htm

Dark Eldar Harly
http://www.agisn.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

bell of lost souls fan site http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 02:56:25 PM »
The talos is a noramal creature in assualt. He's no more walker than a daemon prince or a wraithlord...

Speaking of which, it is a shame that the talos has to use its special rules instead of the normal monterous critter rules...
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!