News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking for People to Start a Group Project "a la" Tale of Gamers  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Powerslave

• "It's all part of the plan."
Hello guys,

I am very sorry if this is not supposed to be here. I was not sure as to where this should be posted. Please move it if it's not supposed to be here.

2009 has brought many changes for many of us, and of course it brought about all the New Year resolutions that we so much love.

I have decided to start on a new project that would last at least 6 months, and I would like to underline the "at least 6 months" because it can go even to being a year. But, I have been thinking a lot, and I decided that it would be cool to do a new project with other people in a group. Then I read the "Tale of # Gamers" and it inspired me. The only thing is that in real life here, my gaming group is not interested in starting new armies, so it kind of makes me a lone-wolf.

I wanted to find out if some people here would be interested in starting a new army and documenting it in a blog format. Then we could do it as a group. We could even intertwine the stories of each army to make it more interesting.

So if someone is interested please post a reply to me (you can also PM me). I am guessing we would start on the 1st of February if there are enough people interested. The rules would be similar to other projects here - we would have a point limit per month and you would have to take the responsibility to assemble and paint what you have bought for the month. I would want the project to go on for exactly 7 months ideally. If some of you guys are interested, then I will start the new project thread with all the rules, descriptions and list of participants.

If people are not too eager to do this, then in two weeks I will just kick off with a project blog for my new Raptors / Krieg Army.

But anyways, let me know what you think. If you like this idea, then please sign up (you can also make suggestions). As I said, if we have at least 4 - 5 people minimum, then it can be very interesting. I have an idea for the general rules already. I already created a small sector in the galaxy where all this could take place, I even have some background stories.

Participants so far:

Vishnah aka Powerslave - Undecided (most likely Space Marines)
Ishan - Imperial Guard
Deathpepper - Orks
Qui-Gon Jinn - Daemons (Maybe, will know on the 31st Jan)
Joinee Davy - Custom Made Army Imperial Knights
Raktra - Chaos Eldar (was gonna say Chaos Elves, haha)
Typhon - CSM Death Guard
Cyresh - CSM Iron Warriors
Erish - Sisters of Battle
Phxren - Eldar
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:38:08 AM by Powerslave, aka Vishnah »
http://timeofending.blogspot.com/ - my blog
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=186984.0 - Black Water (Battle for Calvinus Prime)
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=170815.0 - The March of Iron - My Fluff, My Story
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=171063.0 - My Guide to Iron Warriors

Offline Ishan

• Imperial Guard - Once you have it, you love it
Re: Looking for People to Start a Group Project "a la" Tale of Gamers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Well i'm finally starting my new IG army soon, I'm still waiting for a package of bitz to arrive to start my guard. I would love to do this and I think it would be awsome to have some background fluff going on because i'm working on a campaign involving a hive city for this summer that I could post along with my army.

Offline Powerslave

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:46:02 AM »
Awesome!

I think this can work out very well. I just hope we can get one more person here on the boards at least. If not, then we can do it as a duo.

Anyways, as I said earlier the plan was to try to recruit some players to do this and then kick off the project on the 1st of February. I will make the first post in our new thread on eaxctly the 1st Feb.

Anyways the rules are very simple:
[1] Your army does not have to be legal FOC wise - that allows each participant to do Apocalypse formations.
[2] At the end of each month each participant must present pictures and a report on his work in our thread.
[3] A progress report must be posted 2 times per month.
[4] Point Limitations - each participant must present 300 - 500 points worth of units (fully painted) per month.
[5] The challenge starts out on 1st of February and finishes on the 1st of August.
[6] Each participant must submit some short stories and descriptions of their armies that are all tied with each other - everything will be happening on one Planet - does not have to be the same city, but has to be the same planet. The setting will be simple, and I as coordinator will provide the planet concept. (If you have any ideas please post them here so that all opinions and wishes are taken into account)

So, I think this pretty much is it.

Please let me know what kind of point limitations per month you are interested in. I put the 300 - 500 points as a general guideline and eventually it will be set to an exact limit - you will have the right to depass the limit by 100 points or underachieve by 100 points, whatever happens your points will carry over to the next month if you saved some, if not, then the depassing points will be deducted from the following month.

Ok, lets try to get more players involved in this :)

Also, post some conrete ideas on what you want for a setting - the type of planet.

I am also involved in creating a campaign (some might have heard of it, the March of Iron, as I talk about it in the Chaos boards from time to time) so I have lots of ideas.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:49:39 AM by Powerslave, aka Vishnah »
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=186984.0 - Black Water (Battle for Calvinus Prime)
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=170815.0 - The March of Iron - My Fluff, My Story
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=171063.0 - My Guide to Iron Warriors

Offline Ishan

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
[4] Point Limitations - each participant must present 300 - 500 points worth of units (fully painted) per month.

That's alittle high for me, I could do 300-500pts per month of models being done but I can't promise them being fully painted because my job has been super busy so i've doing lots of over time.

Offline Powerslave

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
Fully understandable Ishan - that was just a general idea. I am also quite busy (with studies and running a company at the same time) so I am trying to find an optimum points criteria. Maybe we should put it at 300 points with an option of -100 or +100 points per month? I think that can be a very good number.

Lets see if we can interest more players though. I am sure that there are more guys here who are looking at starting a new army, why not do it in such an exciting manner (especially with GW releasing all the new delicious units now-a-days). After all this would be a challenge to get on the active side of painting and modeling your army :)

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
This sounds interesting.  I'm actually in the very, very early stages of forming an orc army (nothing painted yet).  300+ pts per month might be tricky when it's 6 pts/boy.  :P

Does your planet have room for some greenskins?

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Ishan

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »
This sounds interesting.  I'm actually in the very, very early stages of forming an orc army (nothing painted yet).  300+ pts per month might be tricky when it's 6 pts/boy.  :P

I was thinking of the same thing with my IG but 300pts wouldn't be bad if they all had to be fully paint at the end of each month.

Does your planet have room for some greenskins?

Their is ALWAYS room for the greenskins  ;D

Offline Qui-Gon Jinn

• Jedi Master of the Editorial Order, TechMarine
  • May the Force be with you!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 12:55:44 AM »
I may hop on board and try to complete more of my Chaos Daemons...
I got 20 Bloodletters, 20 Daemonettes, 9 Seekers, 10 odd fleshhounds, a SG, a GUO, and a bit of other stuff I am sure is hiding somewhere....
I got enough models for the first few months I think. :D
I would ask for a ~300 range. 2 or more units a month is going to be nuts for me, but I will do my best.

But if something comes up, I may have to drop out. Consider me a maybe, I will inform Jan 31st if I can or cannot continue.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 12:56:54 AM by Qui-Gon Jinn »

Chaos Daemon Army
The Army in all its glory!
The Battle Reports of the Army

W/L/D
55/11/7

Chaos Poster of 2009!
Bow before me! :P

Offline Powerslave

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:54:05 AM »
Deathpepper: Of course we have room for a Greenskin army - all ultra-violent conflicts need the green boyz! So start planning what you want to do.

Qui-Gon: Hehe, awesome to see you interested in this. I hope you have the time to do this - yes, I think by keeping in the 300 points range with the ability to deduct 100 points or add 100 points is a good idea and can allow any participant to do 200 points per month instead of 300 if his / her time does not permit to do more.

Countdown to the Hour of Doom:
*Evil Computerized Voice* 6 days to launch

Offline Joinee Davy

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »
I'm just about to start an Imperial Knights army, i think this would be quite good to help push me to get them together a bit quicker!

Not really a 'proper' army, got some rules for them from the Bell of Lost Souls, and the rest i made up based on a few ideas i found floating around and by looking through fluff, etc, but think it seems fair, although i still need to do some playtesting.
But yeah, count my Knight Household in. :)
You look lovely today, by the way.

Offline Ishan

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »
I'm just about to start an Imperial Knights army, i think this would be quite good to help push me to get them together a bit quicker!

Imperial Knights? Who are the imperial knights, are they so form of imperial guard???

Offline Powerslave

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »

Imperial Knights? Who are the imperial knights, are they so form of imperial guard???

Personally, I am not really sure, so I think Joinee Davy should tell us about this. As we have talked, I understood this is a custom made army based on some lists from Bell of Lost Souls and I think it involves the Imperial Guard, the Mechanicum and some advanced Technological units from before the Heresy. But I am really not sure, so I guess we should wait and see for Davy to post all about it. As I understand this army will involve a lot of conversions and modeling from scratch, so only two thumbs up for taking on a very original project, I just want to hear more details about it.

As I said, we are not restricting players to regular FOC regiments or armies, since this challenge is about having fun mostly - so if you want to do an army that no longer exists or has been retconned by GW, I think it's fine as long as you document your project and provide us with some pictures and reports :)

Offline Joinee Davy

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
The Imperial Knights are like one-man Titans. Agri-worlds near Mechanicus Forgeworlds supply them with food and recruits, and in exchange are given several different versions of Knights. They are used for home defence and as a reserve force for the larger titan legions in times of war.

Game wise, i'll be making them out of defilers and sentinels, and they will be about 7" tall altogether.
Once i have my first 3 done, 2 Knight Paladins for troops and a Knight Lord to make up a 'Legal' 1000 point battle, i will try to get a battle report up on here.
:)

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
That sounds pretty cool.  Like ogre kingdoms for 40k!  Are there any units other than the various knights themselves? 

Offline Joinee Davy

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 02:04:01 PM »
Well my army will proably be mostly Knights, but i may include things like techpriests and servitors later on from the Forgeworlds themselves, also a few stormtrooper-type units to act as part of the planetary defence force or skitarii, etc, possibly with a few defence platforms thrown in too.

These will no doubt be made limited in the army, probably elite choices with a 0-1 limit on them or something. I will probably stay away from them till i have 4-5 Knights though. Still need to think up more choices for them though as i'm really just in the first few stages of putting it all together, i only have about 8 or 9 options for them right now.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
Vish, you should have just put me down, you know I'd be up for one of your challenges ;)

My Chaos Eldar shall have their first appearance on these boards. Would an Avatar of Khaine that was heavily converted to be THIS:

Be good for you?

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
[6] Each participant must submit some short stories and descriptions of their armies that are all tied with each other - everything will be happening on one Planet - does not have to be the same city, but has to be the same planet. The setting will be simple, and I as coordinator will provide the planet concept. (If you have any ideas please post them here so that all opinions and wishes are taken into account)...

...Also, post some conrete ideas on what you want for a setting - the type of planet.
My army's backstory is they are part of a large space-faring waaagh that was split up while travelling through the warp.  A few ships crash-landed on *the planet* and the survivors are building their forces back up by cannibalizing the shipwrecks.

Army is led by Big Mek Gonzaa rather than the usual warboss.  Units will focus on Meks, Lootas and Burnas, Meganobs, transports, boys and grots.  Aiming for a mix of fun units.  Each unit will be themed around an ork clan (deathskulls, evil suns, etc). 

Also, I'm going to try and dip the entire army instead of using my usual painting style.

What do we know about the setting planet?  Is is an imperial world or what?

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
Vish  I'm in for chaos nurgle death gaurd

I have some I ran across while going through my miniature stash and this is a great way to get them mustered into a fighting for so I am in.
plus I have a lot of konversions to do so the input will be nice.

Offline Powerslave

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 12:22:01 PM »
Awesome Typhon! Hehe, I am happy we got some Chaos Marines here. If I didn't have such a massive force already, I would have been continuing my CSM army.

I am updating the list, putting you up there :)

So, just to summarize everything once again - the project is officially starting up on the 1st of February. I will be making the thread exactly at 20:00 European Greenwich Time.

And please, make sure that your first post in the new thread works as a hub for all your other posts. That means your first (original) post in the thread will have to be constantly updated with links to pictures, stories, conversion/painting guides, and reports, and also will have to hold a constantly updated list of units that you have made.

That way we can keep our thread very well organized.

And please do not forget that you should post updates and status reports at least twice a month. Everything is to be posted in the same thread all the time.

Ok, that should be all for now.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »
Well, here's a little bit of background for the Chaos Elves Eldar.

Deep within the Warp, a deadly force stirs on the mutated Crone World of Uran. The Choirs have risen and begun to sing their warcries, lead in their song by the mightiest Vizier.

Out of the deep arterial tunnels of the planets surface crawl the Lurkers, many legs scuttling and dragon headed weapons crackling.

The berzerk warriors of the Blood God ready their stings and make sacrifices to the ever hateful god, while jetbikes scream through the air, the horrific orchestra singing praise to She Who Thirsts.

And deep within the planet, Slaanesh's favoured maidens perform the final depraved acts of summoning. The Infernal Knight stirs and bellows his wrath, Chaos Idols surrounding him in a twisted bodyguard.

The truly favoured of Chaos awaken.

A virtual cookie to anyone who can guess what units I'm referring to ;)