News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warhammer: Legends  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Warhammer: Legends
« on: May 4, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »
So, this is pretty neat. Would have been nice to have at launch, but whatever.

GW is going to be (for limited times), releasing classic sculpts. When they do so, they will give rules for these models in AOS (intended for Open War), but the coolest thing, is they talk about what the faction was like in background and rules in the World-That-Was, and which armies are similar in AoS.

So far, the Dark Elves are the first faction up on the Legends page, but I really like what they are doing with this. It's a nice throwback to the past.

Legends - Warhammer Community
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Warhammer: Legends
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
Having looked at the Dark Elf PDF, it appears as though it's a copy of the old Warhammer Armies book updated to Age of Sigmar rules.  If that's the case, I'll be very happy if they do this for Empire and Vampire Counts.  I am a bit baffled though.  If they'd just taken this approach to the rules, rather than reboot the whole universe, surely it would have made more sense?  To do this now after effectively destroying the Warhammer World seems odd.  Irrespective of this, if it means I can play Warhammer with Age of Sigmar rules, so much the better, in view of my model collection.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »
Yeah, it's basically the PDF Compendium, with non-legacy units added to it, so all these rules have been already available, this just consolidated them. It's being tied to limited releases of faction models. This weekend, for example, there will be a few classic Dark Elf models for limited offer. Definitely a nice treat for collectors, and those with legacy forces. I'm sure we'll see similar things happen with future Warhammer:Legends releases.

One thing to keep in mind, is the rules are not intended for matched play. For example, there are no points in the PDF. But, great for if you wanted narrative play set in the old world.

I am a bit baffled though.  If they'd just taken this approach to the rules, rather than reboot the whole universe, surely it would have made more sense?  To do this now after effectively destroying the Warhammer World seems odd.

I don't find that part odd. I find waiting two years to do this odd. I think it would have been a bit less jarring, if there was some information like this at launch, about how each of the factions transitioned from the World-That-Was, into the Mortal Realms setting. But, I do like the whole "What they were like", and "What AoS factions are like them" parts, that's super neat.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
This is certainly a good approach and more info is always better than less. Some late night intern goblin probably had an inspiration that Those Who Rule Above In Shadow liked.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2018, 07:42:50 AM »
One thing to keep in mind, is the rules are not intended for matched play. For example, there are no points in the PDF. But, great for if you wanted narrative play set in the old world.

That's more than okay for me.  I'm not overly fussed about matched play, especially if it means that I can keep the Warhammer setting for my games.  It suits me a lot more than trying to get to grips with the narrative side of Age of Sigmar.

I don't find that part odd. I find waiting two years to do this odd. I think it would have been a bit less jarring, if there was some information like this at launch, about how each of the factions transitioned from the World-That-Was, into the Mortal Realms setting. But, I do like the whole "What they were like", and "What AoS factions are like them" parts, that's super neat.

I find the two year wait and the sequencing odd.  It would have made more sense to transition from old to new, rather than to jump straight into the new armies and lore and then take a step into the past again.  Still, the main thing is that this is approach of allowing old armies to have rules is not one that GW would have previously taken and I am very appreciative that they have decided to do so, in spite of the strange timing.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente