News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New model categories on site  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
New model categories on site
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »
So, I haven't read the new lore beyond that there are now four grand alliances, and various races are now aligned with what were previously the eight winds of magic, more or less. And there are various "planes" known as the mortal realms.

However, looking at the site now, it strikes me as a cluster beslubber of units separated and mashed together.

Apparently the imperial models are now "freeguild".

So, is there any kind of explanation for this? Are the freguilders a specific human nation, or are they just some sort of generic human category? I'm of course talking about the other categories as well, just using freeguilders as an example.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: New model categories on site
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »
There are no more "Empire" "Vampire Counts" and the like. There are the four Grand Alliances and sub factions in each one. There is backstory on a bunch so far, and as the story develops, they will be expanding the backstory on the others too (Godbeasts began introducing human survivors).

Freeguilds is so far just a name, I'm sure the Grand Alliance Order book details stuff about them, and future releases will flesh them out further.

The different sub groups of units often share a theme and sometimes special rules which reward using units together in that theme, but there is no hard and fast rule on what units you need to include in your army. Typically, as long as all the units belong to the same Grand Alliance, you can use whatever you want.

The races are not aligned to certain magic, but there are eight realms (plus the realms of chaos) which are. So, your armies fight on different landscapes which could be shaped by one of the realms of magic (Chamon, is based on the lore of Metal, so rivers could be molten silver for example), and there are Time Of War rules you can use to add special rules to your games to reflect this (if you'd like).

No units are really based on any realm of magic or another. Except Chaos and the Seraphon (who are from the Realms of Chaos and the Celestial Realms accordingly).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »
Ah, I got the impression that due to the whole Incarnates thing that the different races were now aligned with one of the eight winds, you know; celestial for lizardmen, light for stormcast or whatever, fire for the new slayer dudes, metal for the remaining dwarves, life for the dryads, beast for orks. Seems I've gotten this wrong.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »
Yeah, some of the Incarnates became gods after the fall of the old world (particularly the elven incarnates), Except for a few exceptions, no one is tied to any realm more then anyone else.

The winds of magic are not really mentioned anymore either. There are the Eight Mortal Realms (and the realm of Chaos) and that's about it. Races just muck about in the realms doing some fighting and what-not.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2016, 05:06:39 PM »
Yeah, I got that the winds weren't really a factor anymore, but that they're now realms, but that's kind of how I think about them, so I tend to use that word. :P

So they're all kinda spread around, that's good to know. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it, I guess time will tell. On the one hand, this setting might offer for more dynamism in terms of conflicts (it could previously be a bit difficult to make interesting stories that involved the lizardmen in the old World for example, whereas now borders seem more readily traversible) but on the other hand I fear not achieving any sense of investment if they don't include any specific polities/groups in favor of generic terminology.

Also, it just feels weird seeing the baroque steam tank classified with the celto-norse Dwarfen siege equipment.

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
Yeah. They are still fleshing out the story. It's been pretty interesting so far, and each release opens up a new window into the world. The conflict is very dynamic with story - built choke points to build narrative around. I like it. I was never into warhammer fantasy Battle, but I love age of sigmar.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »
Here's what sold me on it after the improved (yes, improved  ;)) rules.  No longer will the fate of the world be decided in a big field, like something out of Father Ted.  Now fantasy models will be fighting in landscapes as varied and outlandish as their 40k counterparts.  And now you can have different factions fighting each other without wondering how the hell they encountered each other in the first place.  ;D