News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How does one Highlight White?  (Read 729 times)

Offline JusticeCetin

• Lieutenant
  • Hail to the King!
How does one Highlight White?
« on: January 6, 2012, 12:01:11 AM »
Hi guys, i just got a small collection of sisters of battle i am looking into growing into a full fledged force, but i have a problem.  I really like the order of the sacred Rose color scheme, but see two problems here. 
Here it what they look like

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Sacred_Rose#.TwZwpDWJePQ

My question is, how would you highlight white? what color? Grey? what kind?? I like this order the most, but i am worried i cannot make it look good.  If i can;t do that, i plan on doing exactly this

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=181831.0

Is there anyway you could achieve that quality (while it isnt the best model i've seen, i would be proud of it) on white?

Thank you
6th Edition W/D/L record

IG 8/2/0
BT 0/0/0
Sob 0/0/0

Offline Angrygreek

• I'm really more of an Irate Spartan....
Re: How does one Highlight White?
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »
Take a white sheet, crumple it up and throw it on the bed. Depending on whether it's a warm or cool white (and the lighting) you will notice that only the very elevated areas under direct light actually appear true white. The rest will either be shades of grey or beige (again, depending on the type of white and lighting).

IMO, go cool white for armor. Use a very light grey (I am not an exclusive GW paint user, so I won't drop paint names) as your base coat, shade with a slightly darker shade of grey. I would opt for multiple coats over a single coat of a darker colour for this. Do a highlight of white + your basecoat, and extreme highlight of pure white.

On contrast, for warm whites (tabards etc) replace grey with beige.

Experiment a little to get the look you are going for. Remember not to use pure white as your basecoat, if you do, you have no options for highlighting.

Cheers!
Anything but a 1.....