News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wytches on damaged raiders  (Read 686 times)

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
Wytches on damaged raiders
« on: October 1, 2004, 09:08:38 AM »
If this has ben posted before I apologise, I missed it

In 3rd when my raiders got shot down, ny wytches etc would cower behind them to shelter from shooting. In 4th I can no longer do this as skimmers don't block LOS.

However in 4th damaged veihicles are difficult terrain and I can deploy through the damaged vehicle and this provides a cover save, so in future I'll just leave them around the Raider, tell my opponent they're hiding in the wreckage and claim my cover save - is that 4+??

Your comments please

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: Wytches on damaged raiders
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2004, 09:27:56 AM »
Yes, if the Raider is destroyed and your precious Wyches are deployed behind the Raider, they get a 4+ cover save.

Offline CrimsonShadow

• Cheerleader!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lord Captain Cheerleader of DOOM!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2004, 09:28:20 AM »
You have that slightly wrong there, chief.  True, skimmers don't block los, but after they crash and burn, they are no longer considered skimmers.  They are considered terrain.  As terrain, you can still hide behind them.  The skimmers don't block los basically just makes it impossible to hide your raiders behind other raiders to protect your wych and hq raiders from enemy fire with your cheaper raider squads.  As far as them counting as difficult terrain, that means you can move through them rolling difficult terain tests as normal.  Hope that helps.

Your un-hero,

CrimsonShadow 
"Some people will tell you that slow is good...and it may be, on some days...but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...."
~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

We are not human beings.  We are human doings.

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2004, 09:35:30 AM »
I was thinking more of the situation where it is unfeasible to hide "behind" as you may have opponents all over the place, e.g. Imp Guard - in which case on the raider would be another option.

Offline CrimsonShadow

• Cheerleader!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lord Captain Cheerleader of DOOM!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 1, 2004, 01:26:06 PM »
Well then maybe you should have phrased this differently?   ;D
In 3rd when my raiders got shot down, ny wytches etc would cower behind them to shelter from shooting. In 4th I can no longer do this as skimmers don't block LOS.

Just a thought. 

CrimsonShadow
"Some people will tell you that slow is good...and it may be, on some days...but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...."
~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

We are not human beings.  We are human doings.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2004, 01:32:42 AM »
You get a cover save if you hide the Wyches behind the Raider (on the Raider is not an option). If the enemy has distributed his forces like IG, then make a flank attack. Then the enemy will only be able to see one side of the Raider.

Offline Archon of the Bitter End

« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2004, 01:46:47 PM »
Just to make sure this is clear. Under 4th Edition, a mobile Raider no longer blocks line of site, nor does it provide a cover save. An immobilised or destroyed raid -does- block line of site (completely) to models behind it, and provides a cover save to models that are -in- the wreckage.

Offline syth773

« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2004, 03:18:45 PM »
there is a big discussion in the rules forum in the topic "skimmers blocking skimmers" about whether skimmers that are still mobilised can provide cover or not, it all depends on how you look at the rules, until GW releases a formal FAQ on that then it would be best to talk about it with your opponent before the game and decide whether or not skimmers do provide cover.