News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Disturbing the Peace  (Read 2180 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Disturbing the Peace
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
So I know I've been out of commission from the Internet for a bit, but its been a long time since I saw the Ork forum this dead.  So I'm Disturbing the Peace, posting in the chance that its this quiet because there isn't much to talk about.

Anywho, I've been toying with IA 8 for some time, and I've thought about allying itself with... itself.  Here's the list.

Primary
HQ
Kustom Meka with KFF and Shunta
Painboss with Pk, Cybork, Eavy, Bosspole, 3 Grot

Troops
20 Cybork Spannaz with a KMB Mek

5 Dreads with 4 DCCWs each (each in their own Troops Slot)

Fast
5 Rokkit Kanz

Heavy
2 Big Trakks with Kannons and Ard Cases
Big Trakk with Ard Case and Flakka Gunz

Allied Force
Painboss with Pk, Eavy, Cybork, BPole, 3 Grotz
20 Cybork Spannaz with a KMB Mek
Dread with 4 DCCW

So this comes in at exactly 2000.  Not exactly the highest model count I've played, but it might be an interesting gaming experience.  Any tips, tricks, advice, or someone telling me not to play vehicles in 6th would be more than welcome to hear, as it would of course be disturbing the peace that has settled in our little forum.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
Re: Disturbing the Peace
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
Nice see you online Big Boss :o  ... As my band of boyz is still to small for any real engagements, thought they are recruiting heavily by ork standards.  I can give you some advise based on other armies in their forums.  I like what you got, might prove challenging getting into combat, we seem to be on the low tier when it come to survivability with 6th, they blast us to peices.  Personally, I would run the list and see how it fairs.   8)  Good to see the BIG BOSS back on the forum again
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
Glad to be back, Real Life hurdles throw us all for loops.

As for Orkz not being top tier... well been there done that.  When I started Orkz there were those that thought they'd be going the way of Squats.  Orkz can still rock, even in 6th, it's just not as easy when 6th brought some rather painful game update changes.  But hey that's what generally always happens as codexs age, and we weren't hit with the Update Pain stick nearly as much as DE (they make me so sad, one day I'll be able to use my DE, one day...)

Sure vehicles took a major hit with Hull Points, we lost our Ini bonus and the Waaagh turn went from an uproar to a whimper, but you know what, Orks are still my fav.  Why?  Because you can pull off more crazy stuff with them, they're nutballs, and frankly they are really the only conversion friendly army.

Heck I'm working on building a Tyranid army that's controlled by the Orkz, and can double as either an Ork or Tyranid army.  Besides being a headache with the 'how am I going to pull this one off' I think it'll be great.

As always Boss Ard'Ragger I'm more than interested to hear of fellow Ork army exploits.  I also admittedly haven't played as often since 6th came about (I'm down to a game or two a month), and with the new expansions for Superheavies in standard games... I think I'll be staying away from In Store games for a while (long story short, I don't think Superheavies should be allowed in games under 3000, and frankly I'm inclined to add Flyers to that list too).  But since I have a roommate and 2 others that want to learn how to play (while borrowing my 'spare' armies no less), I'm able to negotiate that.

I still haven't seen the new SM codex, but then again when I last popped in store I was surprised to see a stark lack of SM or CSM (13 players, no marines, yes I bought a lotto ticket that night).  I know my area is far out of the norm, flyer madness didn't really hit until a month or two ago, but I can't trust that will be the same delayed reaction for SMurfs, so any info would always be nice.

As for Orkz in 6th, I personally think our best bet is running Footsloggers.  I know big surprise coming from me, but let me talk it out.  Footsloggers in 6th have more advantages than you'd think.  Small units of Boyz are more likely to get their Nob taken out via Precision Shots (especially if your playing against Alaitioc Eldar), or Challenges, and generally when you loose the Bosspole with a unit under 10, you loose that unit.  But Big Mobz have a longer staying period, and can absorb a lot more Wounds before they loose that Mob Size bonus.

There's also creative placement of a unit in terrain to force/encourage your opponent to focus fire.  And a distinct advantage to the use of multiple Kannon batteries, because 6th Edition Artillery rules are so awesome. 

I know that an IA 8 list is more of a handicap than a benefit since 6th came along, but if you count when I first started dreaming up this particular army I'm building then I've been slowly at it for 5+ years.  It'll be a thing.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: not to sound like a self promoting [obscenity deleted], but if anyone wants to take a look, I'm at the Konverzion table, and you can take a looksee at: OD's OrkNid Projekt

Oh and...
Orky Orky Oxen Freeeee!
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
I just wish I can play.... Moved to a small town almost 50 miles from the nearest GWS.... have so many armies but again they are in one country and I am in another arrgh.   >:(   I love Orks for the Konversion capabilities.  Been looking at my old plastic models and thinking .... NOT ORKY enough.  When my boyz are in a playable force will prob try and get people at my house to play... Love huge Man Caves!  My other palyable armies with me are Eldar and Tau but my wonderful brother seems to have gone and missplaced my entire army....  Will be posting more Konversions when I get some additioanl resources.  My fav models unfortunately is flyers, been that way since I was 9.  So I am looking at an Ork Airforce lol before I have a playable army to work with lol 8)
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »
OD:  Wonderful to seez ya on the forum again...It's been a while for a lot of us.  Like the list, makes me wish I could find my IA8 (probably got put in that goodwill box...hate cleanin').  I haven't played much at all...life has thrown me a few curve balls that are hard to hit...I try to keep up with all the nonsense on the blogs, in the local store, and with the young bucks who play with an incredible amount of frequency.  Of course, the armies of choice at the store:  tyranids (big surprise), tau (what a shock!), and SM/CSM...Necrons are intermitent, but still active.  There are 3 ork players, but we're the "old guard", the old boyz who have played longer than our opponents have been alive...Anyway, I digress...I love the ork army; it's the very epitome of the space nemisis in 40k.  For those who think the ork is on it's way out, or not worth playing; take a trip down 40k memory lane:  Get your hands on either the 2nd or 3rd edition codices and marvel that there are any ork players left at all.  Bright, UGLY colored units, nothing over 5-10 man units, and orks that looked more like big goblins than the terror that they truly are...Yeah, we all hated it...but we (ork players) endured...Why?  Because they are hands down the most fun to play.  Yeah, we've taken a beatin' in 6th edition due to poor BS, hull points, and (dare I say it...) the over emphasis on shooting vs. getting in close and finishing yer enemy.  To listen to other players, we are now the 6th ed equivalent to the dinosaur...unruly, ill-equiped, and rarely taken seriously.  Look at what we bring to the party:  sluggas, shootas, choppas, power klaws, big choppas....vs. graviton weapons, bolters, POWER weapons, psionics, more armor than you can shake a squig at...you get the point.  :o  But, I rather have my completely wiped out ork force with my warboss and a handful of boyz and grots on the table than to stoop to the feeding frenzy of my opponents struggling to come up the uber list for this months GW force of choice (i.e. anyone but us).  >:( For one thing, I've been collecting, kustomizing, and painting it for decades vs days/months. ;D  So, take heart those who feel slighted by 6th ed and pine (as I do) for the old days of 5th ed.  We'll get that new codex soon, we'll get new, improved units, and then we can endure the howls from our opponents that our forces are nothing but cheese and we shouldn't be allowed to field anything like what we do! ;D

Boss Ard:  I know what it's like to live more than a couple miles from anything playable...did that for 5 years in Ohio...closest players were like you, 50+ miles away.  Hang in there, be that great green beacon to start people playin' in yer area.  Old plastic is great...it's the best to convert...Go For It!!! :o

I'll try to get some pics posted as soon as my laptop will interface with my Photobucket acct...@#%%^@@ electronic/internet age...

To All:  Merriest of Christmas Greetings, Happiest of Holidays and a Prosperious New Year!!!  Just try to keep the whole spirit of Orkymas:  get in, bash 'em, and leave!

Peace Folks!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »
Love these posts, glad to see the forum with a little activity.

I too have been playing orks for a "while", somewhere about the time of GWs last world wide campaign for Armageddon. (published psudo codex and all that). I remember when we had to have last editions rule book to go with the current codex as that is where all the weapon stats were for our army. Not to mention the six issues of White Dwarf with the relevant Chapter Approved articles. 

So, some of my models are old (like metal nobs) and some are new (like the new deff coptas) but I have a LOT of them. Last count about 15+k of orks stuff. I think I need to update my Faces post. I still play almost every week, and do not have the problem of losing that some of our other members seem to be having. First off, orks never lose. Then secondly I play to have fun and spend an enjoyable afternoon doing something totally different than what I do in the "real" world. So, when I wipe out my opponent then some of my models get reward paint, and when there are no survivors then of course I "didn't lose".

Back on to the actual subject of this post; ODs army list. Of course it is a beefed up kan wall, as was the craze just a few months ago (before the KFF nerf). I know a player who uses the two force org trick for 2k games to take the max kans and dreads and a few orks boys too, and he seems to do fairly well. I think his list was 18 kans, 4 dreads, 4 big meks with KFF, two mobs of 20+ grots,  and two mobs of 30 shoota boys with max big shootas. Normally too much for any other army to kill even tau with their max fire power.

I think your list will do fine, use the "Horns of Dilemma" tactic and you should be able to take on all comers just fine. Let us know how you do.

Have a happy holiday and may you have sweet waagh dreams... :)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »
So far as I know you cannot ally to the same codex.
Page 109 in the BRB. There are 2 sentences in bold

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
Well, I don't think he was aware of the second force ork chart, erm, force org chart you get when you go to 2K points. So, in essence you are allied with yourself when you go above the magic 1999 points list.

It is still a viable list, just a matter of semantics.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »

I'm not going to spam your post with another dreadmob list but I have been toying with one myself. I use big trakks with grot bombs and deffrollas everywhere in the list and I also added a void shield generator from stronghold. This has been very useful in the list. Being able to move up the vehicles and your case walkers with an AV12 shield is golden. It is relatively cheap to add one with three void shields.  Now big trakks get deffrollas for free ... put them on. I have seven deffrollas and ten grot bombs in my list, lol. Both deserve a look ... 
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
I just wish I can play.... Moved to a small town almost 50 miles from the nearest GWS.
Well your comment about mancaves is a solution to that.  Frankly there are times I miss the 'good ole days' when I had a rather unique gaming group where we'd all huddle around my copy of the 3rd Edition Rulebook.  Its all a matter of getting out there and finding a couple people.  Is that easy, well it isn't a cakewalk but isn't hard either.  I look forward to seeing some of your upcoming Konverzions by the way.

OD:  Wonderful to seez ya on the forum again...It's been a while for a lot of us.  Like the list, makes me wish I could find my IA8 (probably got put in that goodwill box...hate cleanin').
Oh No!  Well I hope you discover IA 8 in some dark corner of your place, or under a couch or something, that book is way too expensive to just be gone.  Kudos by the way for bringing up an amazing point;

To listen to other players, we are now the 6th ed equivalent to the dinosaur...unruly, ill-equiped, and rarely taken seriously.  Look at what we bring to the party:  sluggas, shootas, choppas, power klaws, big choppas....vs. graviton weapons, bolters, POWER weapons, psionics, more armor than you can shake a squig at...you get the point.  :o  But, I rather have my completely wiped out ork force with my warboss and a handful of boyz and grots on the table than to stoop to the feeding frenzy of my opponents struggling to come up the uber list for this months GW force of choice (i.e. anyone but us).
Well like some Dinosaurs we are of a thick green hide.  Oh, dinosaurs stopped being imagined with green skin... oh, dinosaurs are apparently giant feathered chickens than reptiles now?  We may be behind the times, but that should be no surprise to any old Skarboy.  The 3rd Edition codex creep to the current edition was how long again?  I think it was seven or eight years, I don't rightly remember, but my point being is that frequently we look like the dinosaur, but that's ok.  Other armies may have some toys that we don't have access to but that's why we LOOT things... right forgot for a second that we don't have real Looted Vehicles anymore. Here's hoping we get back the ability to loot a vehicle from a rival codex.

One of the other viable strategies we have available to us in 6th, is a Biker Horde.  Bikes only got better in 6th, and while it is absurd that Chaos Bikers are cheaper in points than Orkz, as well as Eldar Jetbikes (ok, those were already slightly cheaper in the last edition), our Ork Bikers aren't bad.  Yes we have to take a Special Character to make them Troops, and yes Bikes are relatively an expensive trick (cheapest when you konvert 'bikers' from Fantasy Boar Boyz, not to mention fluff-tastic to bring back the Cyboars), but Bikers can still rock.

So, some of my models are old (like metal nobs) and some are new (like the new deff coptas) but I have a LOT of them. Last count about 15+k of orks stuff. I think I need to update my Faces post. I still play almost every week, and do not have the problem of losing that some of our other members seem to be having. First off, orks never lose. Then secondly I play to have fun and spend an enjoyable afternoon doing something totally different than what I do in the "real" world. So, when I wipe out my opponent then some of my models get reward paint, and when there are no survivors then of course I "didn't lose".

Truer words were never spoken, Orkz never loose.  I believe it even said something to that effect in the 3rd Edition rulebook even.  And Skeetergod I gotta shake your hand on getting together 15k of Orkz.  You make me afraid to try to calculate the points I have, but still I think you got me beat... at least for now.  (*starts dreaming of a build projekt of a dozen kustom Stompas*)

The concept of reward paint is great!  I think I'll have to incorporate that, a couple of my Orks are looking...well some of them have seen better days.

Oh and the ref page for taking a second Force Org chart is 110 of the BRB.  In case anyone was wondering, or wanted to look it up, as it is an important thing that we can utilize, to make our army more viable in the 6th Edition environment.

Lets say your Skeetergod I mean a hardcore Trukk player (Skeetergod).  Now I'm not a super encyclopedia with the math but it's around 150-ish for a full sized Trukk mob with a Pk Nob.  From my perspective, Trukk mobz need lots of support from other Trukk Mobz, no unit of Trukkboyz should ever Assault a unit by themselves (unless they are sacrificing themselves for some reason).  So if you know your going to do a 2000 pt game, then you can grab that second Force Org chart and have up to 12 units of Trukkboyz! 

I'm not going to spam your post with another dreadmob list but I have been toying with one myself. I use big trakks with grot bombs and deffrollas everywhere in the list and I also added a void shield generator from stronghold. This has been very useful in the list. Being able to move up the vehicles and your case walkers with an AV12 shield is golden. It is relatively cheap to add one with three void shields.  Now big trakks get deffrollas for free ... put them on. I have seven deffrollas and ten grot bombs in my list, lol. Both deserve a look ... 
Well bebe I thank you for the lack of spam, then again I'd thank you for it as well.  Go ahead and plop open a new thread, there certainly is no shame in doing so, nor any fear that need be.  I will say that I think you have Big Trakks and Mekboy Junkas mixed up though.

We got a big year ahead of us, and who knows we may just be getting a new codex (hrm, I had hoped to never say that one again since the last time).

Peace
~OD