News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pts Night Lords - Terror arrives on wings of fire  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
2000pts Night Lords - Terror arrives on wings of fire
« on: April 7, 2018, 12:24:18 AM »
This is my first crack at a Night Lords list that is designed to capitalize on as many negative modifiers as I can stuff into a list for leadership.  I want the list to be pure Night Lords following the idea that they are less Chaos Marines and more just pure beslubbering evil.  The Marks of Nurgle and Icons of Despair are being taken to emphasize the terror effect, and I may work up some conversions to make the icons suitably terrifying.

Anyway, here is the list.  Assume every unit has the Mark of Nurgle for simplicity sake:
*** List updated to reflect changes as of 20 April ***

Night Lords Battalion
HQ
Daemon Prince:  Wings, Mark of Khorne, 2x Malefic Talons, Talisman of Burning Blood, Warlord:  Lord of Terror.  180pts

Chaos Lord:  Jump Pack, Claws of the Black Hunt.  105pts

Troops
10 cultists40pts

10 cultists40pts

10 cultists40pts

Heavy Support
Predator:  Quad-Lascannons.  190pts

Dedicated Transport
Rhino72pts

Rhino72pts

Night Lords Outrider Detachment
Sorcerer:  Jump Pack, Miasma of Pestilence, Warptime.  120pts

Fast Attack
5 Raptors:  Icon of Despair, 2x Plasma Guns, Champion w/ Combi-Plasma.  136pts

9 Raptors:  Icon of Despair, 2x Plasma Guns, Champion w/ Combi-Plasma.  204pts

Heavy Support
5 Havocs:  Icon of Despair, 4 Plasma Guns, Champion w/ Combi-Plasma.  142pts

Total Points:  1999
Total Command Points:  9
Total Power Level:  102
Power Level / # of units deep striking:  22 / 4
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:52:20 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 2000pts Night Lords - Terror arrives on wings of fire
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2018, 03:57:39 AM »
The only thing I see is that you don't have anything to deal with armour beyond 24 inches except.for the predators. Add a third predator would help you take advantage of the killshot strategem. Raptors have definitely underwhelmed for me and even with the negative modifiers to leadership it is not a game changer.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2018, 01:23:13 PM »
I can fit in the third Predator if I drop the ten man unit.  To keep a similar combat threat from the Raptors, I could drop the cultists to 14, and increase the two 6 man units up to 9.

How I am thinking of running the list is to have the two larger squads deep strike with the characters, while the two smaller squads move up the field while being screened by the Rhinos as long as the situation doesn't dictate that they should deep strike as well.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »
This is more a question than a critique: How effective *is* a terror strategy in this edition, anyway? I only ask just because I've usually found this edition that units are either so small as to make morale kinda pointless (by the time you've killed a few guys, the unit's basically gone) or have some kind of weird morale rule (Synapse, Mob Rule) to make casualties from morale minimal.

Granted, I do not face the range of opponents you do, and I'm not suggesting it isn't a cool theme, I just wonder whether you really need to bother.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:50:51 PM »
This is more a question than a critique: How effective *is* a terror strategy in this edition, anyway? I only ask just because I've usually found this edition that units are either so small as to make morale kinda pointless (by the time you've killed a few guys, the unit's basically gone) or have some kind of weird morale rule (Synapse, Mob Rule) to make casualties from morale minimal.

Granted, I do not face the range of opponents you do, and I'm not suggesting it isn't a cool theme, I just wonder whether you really need to bother.
Normally you are right. Relying on failed morale checks is pointless.  But let's say that I max out the negative modifiers.

That would be a unit of Raptors engaged in combat with at least two other Night Lord units within range.  That puts a -5 penalty on an enemy's leadership.  A unit of marines will have their leadership drop to 2, 3 with the sergeant still alive.  If you kill a single marine, then they will fail their leadership test on a 3+.  If they roll a 6, then it is a total of 5 dead marines from a single casualty.  Any further casualties and you can pretty much wipe out a unit from doing insignificant amounts of damage.

That being said, there are ways to prevent those casualties.  There are enough units that are immune to morale or it can be stopped by a stratagem.

I have had to update my list with the changes in the FAQ. Again, everything has the Mark of Nurgle unless specified otherwise.

Night Lords Battalion
HQ
Daemon Prince:  Wings, Mark of Khorne, 2x Malefic Talons, Talisman of Burning Blood, Warlord:  Lord of Terror.  180pts

Chaos Lord:  Jump Pack, Claws of the Black Hunt.  105pts

Troops
10 cultists40pts

10 cultists40pts

10 cultists40pts

Heavy Support

Dedicated Transport
Rhino72pts

Rhino72pts

Night Lords Outrider Detachment
Sorcerer:  Jump Pack, Miasma of Pestilence, Warptime.  120pts

Fast Attack

9 Raptors:  Icon of Despair, 2x Plasma Guns, Champion w/ Combi-Plasma.  204pts

Heavy Support

Total Points:  1999
Total Command Points:  9
Total Power Level:  102
Power Level / # of units deep striking:  22 / 4

My initial idea behind the list is that I wanted to focus on the Night Lords as not being worshippers of Chaos, but just evil marines that threw off the shackles of the Imperium when they sided with Horus.  As such, I did what I could to avoid adding in Daemons.  I made an exception with this list by including the Daemon Prince because I plan on picking up the Night Haunter model from Forgeworld and he would be best represented by a Daemon Prince as opposed to a Chaos Lord.

Lord and Raptors will deep strike, and I am relying on Miasma plus In Midnight Clad to get the 10 man unit through the resulting shooting phase in the event that they fail their charge.  The Havocs will be in the Rhinos, flanking the Sorcerer and the Daemon Prince.  The Sorc took Warptime to slingshot the prince at something tasty, preferably within range of the unit that the Raptors hit to maximize their terror modifier.
I knew I had fans!!!