News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Min-Max Objective Grabbaz, 1k List Build Comp Entry  (Read 1925 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Min-Max Objective Grabbaz, 1k List Build Comp Entry
« on: November 22, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
After more setbacks then could be expected or anticipated including loosing internet for the past week, here I am with my Comp entry.

Real quick, do note that I would classify this as a competitive list, but not in the conventional sense.  I would argue that the only real way to win games with the 7th Edition Ork codex is via objectives, and to that end this list is written with this in mind, on a table that is plentiful with terrain (preferably Ruins, which at least in my area is the norm), and using the core Rulebook Tactical Objectives.  Without any further ado...

The Min-Max Objective Grabbaz!
CAD 1
Painboy w/Finking Cap
2 units of 10 Grots and a Herda
3 Trukkz w/Rokkit Launchas
unit of 3 Lobbaz each with an Ammo Runt

CAD 2
SAG Mek w/Eavy Armor, Gitfinda, and 1 Ammo Runt
10 Grots and a Herda
11 Grots + Herda
2 units of 3 Meganobz in a Big Shoota Trukk
1 Rokkit Buggy
2 naked Dakkajets
=998

Pregame/Setup/Tactics
Warlord Painboy goes with the Lobbas on or near an objective in heavy cover, if at all possible outside of enemy LoS (since barrage weapons don't require it, and we want to keep the Warlord out of fighting to deny Slay the Warlord to the enemy).

The SAG Mek should be deployed like all SAG Meks, in heavy cover with good range of the field and with a Grot bodyguard.  Now I'm not going to lie, the good old SAG almost didn't make the cut since he is such a high priority target, can blow himself up, and can be precise shot by the plethora of Snipers that exist in my neck of the woods.  For those reasons I would recommend against putting him on an objective, it just makes him more of a target.

As your primary objective grabbers you have the Trukker Grots.  Yes that’s what those Trukks are primarily for!  To this end play them carefully, don’t jump an objective unless you need it, or are attempting to deny your opponent from it.  Much like the Trukks carrying them, they will fall apart like tissue paper from enemy fire, so use them with care.  To that end, I do not advice attempting to deny an opponent objective with the Grots, unless it’s a dire situation.

The Meganobz are your heavy hitters, but even with their armor save they are a far cry from invulnerable.  They are best used in this list to take out enemy objectives (big surprise the whole list is dedicated to objective grabbing), but don’t go overzealous with it.  Once they loose their Trukk they loose a huge proportion of speed. 

Your lone Buggy is for Outflank Armor attacks, and will likely be a One Hit Wonder similar to the previous codex’s Green Baron.  Hope for a good Outflank and hit them with your luckiest D6.  Even with the changes to the Vehicle Damage chart, that extra Rokkit can and surprisingly does often times make a difference.

The Dakkajets are your big distraction and can lay out a fair amount of carnage, especially if your opponent is bringing the airpower.  Their first and really only priority other then general harassment is taking out any Valkryes, StormTalons, or other hard to hit buggers.

And that’s the Min-Max Objective Grabbaz... OR IS IT?

Advanced Play Theory
On Warlord Traits the big one to hope for is #1 of the Strategic Trait table (ref pg 125 BRB), which we have to roll on with the Finking Cap regardless (I point out because that little caveat is often overlooked by players).  For the secondary trait (or really the first if you want to be precise) I recommend the Tactical Traits table, hoping for a 1, 3 or 5.  Personally this is the only time in 40k that I hope for Snake Eyes, as those bonuses will work best for this list.

When you first analyze this list and playstyle, you may feel inclined to separate the Meganobz on different flanks, but it has been my experience that its best to keep them relatively close to one another and double team your enemy’s objectives.  All this said, their primary target should be enemy Troops, ideally those with little or no offensive CC power (ie Guardsmen, Tac squads that have been combat squaded and lack the Sgt Pow Fist/Pow Wep, Guardians, etc). 

If facing an exceptional cheesy list with an enemy Imperial Knight, the Dakkajets are your best defense,  and I strongly advice the two pronged attack where if you can pull it off, both planes are attacking from a different angle, that Ion Shield can’t be everywhere after all!

The Very best of luck to all you Ork players still out there!  Keep it Green and hold the line, one day we’ll return with a decent codex and krump the ooniverze again!

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Min-Max Objective Grabbaz, 1k List Build Comp Entry
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »
What a stupendously well-thought out list. Would do very well with maelstrom missions, but may struggle with the non-objective eternal war missions that I always seem to be rolling lately. I love the amount of dakka you were able to pack in such a small point level. Love grits in trunks, always a joy to play. Only one point that I may suggest, if you can find the points, is adding a combi-burna to a few MANz. I've found them so handy in the past that I've always tried to fit in a few.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »
Thanks DoW, I thought I mentioned the Maelstrom bit, but I'm glad you caught on right quick.  In my area that's pretty exclusive of the in-store gaming these days, we are after all each a product in part of our environment.  Then again, I've been finding myself mostly going the home game route for the scant 1 or 2 games I get in a month.

As for the Kombi, a good way to go about grabbing one would be dropping the extra grot for the SAG bodyguard and then your at a perfect 1000.  I've never been too much for the Kombi Weapons myself, but there are players who swear by their effectiveness, so if any reader is planning on giving this a try, do keep this option in mind!

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 12:20:26 PM »
Grots in trucks, a truly fun list. I have done the grot truck list and it was a hoot, many fun situations pop up during the game, just too much fun.

As for the two dakka jets, that is just brilliant, a true stroke of genius!  :-*
While they can't take or hold objectives they are indeed great distractor units that will keep your opponent off balance the whole game worrying about how to take out your planes instead of your grots.

The SAG, I am not a fan, having poor luck with the dice, either zonking my mek into combat or blowing himself and his unit to pieces. Maybe when I can find those stealth loaded dice to use for just the SAG I will try him again. I am glad somebody in this universe seems to have some luck with him.

A great list, it would be fun to play against. I know I would hate to have to face two planes at this point level. Good stuff.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
I hear you on the SAG, he's been more than a little unreliable, and the Vortex possibility is in my opinion not as enjoyable as the old double 6 Raargh.  In truth that Vortex tends to scatter into my own guys more often then not, but I suppose I should be glad that something in the new book functions like Trukk Kareen used to.

Nevertheless, that SAG still has a decent chance of causing widespread damage, and as a first turn high priority target if your facing an army that's lacking in long range Precise Shots he's not bad as a distraction.

As for the two dakka jets, that is just brilliant, a true stroke of genius!  :-*
While they can't take or hold objectives they are indeed great distractor units that will keep your opponent off balance the whole game worrying about how to take out your planes instead of your grots.
Thanks Skeetergod, I thought the klassic resident speed freak would like it!  I'm not going to lie, if this was the old codex I'd be feeling really cheesy and feel I'd have turned into a powergamer bringing two jets to the table for a 1000 pt game, but the times are a changing.  Speaking of, does this list get me back my Kult of Speed membership back?

Peace
~OD