News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Question about Broadsides  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Greyshades

Question about Broadsides
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
Hey all, I don't play tau, but play against them regularly, and have been getting spanked by broadsides.

I'm not super familiar with the Tau codex, but my opponents fields broadsides in groups of 3, and says they have wargear that allows the misslepods(?) and railguns to shoot at separate targets for each model, so up to 6 different squads may be hit by a unit of 3 broadsides.  i.e broadside one shoots missles at one squad, railguns at another, broadside two does the same as does broadside 3.

He also says they have a 4+ invul save granted by wargear.

Is this possible?

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
Re: Question about Broadsides
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
Nope.  Now broadsides can take a support system that gives them a 4++ save which is called a shield generator, and there is a piece of wargear called a target lock which allows the unit to split their fire.  Also while normally they can only fire one weapon a turn they can take what is called a multitracker and fire both weapons at the same time.  They also can take a system that allows them to fire and move in the same turn.  However normal broadsides can only have one support system they can never have all of these.  Second the way the taget lock works is that it allows whoever has a target lock to fire at a different target than the rest of his unit, however it does not allow them to split their fire again by having their weapon systems fire at different targets.  The only tau model that can do that is commander shadowsun a special character, with her advanced target lock.

Now while a broadside can only take one support system, one broadside in each team can be upgraded to a team leader or shas'vre and can then take wargear and some not all of the gear I listed can be taken as hard-wired gear.  But only one broadside can be upgraded to take that gear.

Hope that helps.

Offline Greyshades

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
It does alot, I will politely  make sure that his broadsides don't have all of that gear at my next game.

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2011, 09:19:15 PM »
Second the way the taget lock works is that it allows whoever has a target lock to fire at a different target than the rest of his unit, however it does not allow them to split their fire again by having their weapon systems fire at different targets. 

I do want to clarify that the vehicle Target Lock does allow the vehicle to split weapons fire.

I'm not super familiar with the Tau codex, but my opponents fields broadsides in groups of 3, and says they have wargear that allows the misslepods(?) and railguns to shoot at separate targets for each model, so up to 6 different squads may be hit by a unit of 3 broadsides.  i.e broadside one shoots missles at one squad, railguns at another, broadside two does the same as does broadside 3.

Make sure he's using SMS not missile pods. SMS is similar to a heavy bolter, while a missile pod is an autocannon. We do have wargear that can do most of that, but not at the same time. The best you can do is give all of it to a team leader, but not the whole squad.
Locke's Record (2010):
 Shas'el'Sa'cea'Kanvah'Kais: 3-1-1
 Simulation (Vassal) Record: 31-4-9
            Tau: 21-3-6
     Necrons: 3-1-1
 Dark Eldar: 7-0-2

Offline Aspiringarchon

• Best to decide your fate than fall victim to it!
« Reply #4 on: March 4, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible in a unit of three broadsides to have suit take target lock and the TL also take target lock allowing the unit to shoot at 3 different targets?

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 4, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
Yes though you would only need to have 2 of the suits equipped with a target lock, since one suit w/o one will fire at his target and the other suits will split fire to shoot at something else.