News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Rayvn70 Buggy  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
The Rayvn70 Buggy
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »
I've just started playing orks and have been doing a lot of conversions, well trying at least, and been having a blast doing them. So I've decided to share the fun you guys. My last conversion was the green baron so this time I'm gonna walk you through how I made a buggy from the AoBR Deff Copta.

Tools used:

• Razorsaw (be careful with this tool as it's very sharp and will cut you, always cut away from yourself and should it fall from your hand let it drop NEVER try to catch it.
  • Hobby Knife use extreme caution when using a hobby knife as it's a razor blade on a stick, the fact of the razor is dangerous enough but you add the handle it now has leverage so extremely careful use of this tool.
  • Sharpie pen: just your standard laundry pen used for marking.
  • Plasticard: Used for making fins or armor plates.
  • Plastic Tubes: From industrial sized to a simple drinking straw.
  • Green Stuff: Modeling Putty used for filling gaps and sculpting.

I started with a standard AoBR Deff Copta and made my own wheels and pegs for them from green stuff and a press mold of silicone, though the back wheels from the buggy kit or any wheels will work fine

I then cut off the skids and top rotor before gluing anything together

as I failed epically at making fenders I decided not have any fenders on this one and cut off the rear wings as well, flush with the base of the wing. I also glued the halves together as well as gluing the pilot head and arms in place

from this point I "boxed in" the rear rotor with some plasticard cut and trimmed to fit flush with the sides of the rear rotor housing and glued into place

I then cut 2 pieces of plastic tubing about 1" (25.4mm) in length and glued them to the underside of the buggy for axles as shown

I then glued the pegs into the wheels and attached them to the axles, looks like the nobz in the back there are getting jealous

now for the roll cage I used and Imperial Guard Sentential top and piece of plasticard about 1" (25.4mm)

Glued the plasticard piece right behind the seat and attached the cage to the top on that and you have a fast simple rokkit buggy!!

I hope you have as much fun as did making this guy and again C&C and thank you for your time,

Rayvn
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:28:47 PM by Rayvn70 »

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Mrkalo981

• Space Marines-They're guarding our Zebra Crossings
Re: My Rokkit Buggy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
Wow, that is really good and simple, well done! This is the perfect scenario for me as my rotors on the deffkoptas are broken >:(. I don't collect orks but atleast I will be able to sell them now (I only got them for Black Reach). Luckily, I also have spare Sentinel cockpit canopy thingies. Something I would say though is that the piece of Plasticard on the back of the Buggy looks very boxy and I'm not sure if it is the picture but doesn't seem to fit the shape perfectly- I think it might be too big. I would say that the edges are too clean, sharp and precise on that piece of plasticard too.
Space Marines, Imperial Guard, High Elves - I like the Good Guys! Soon to be Grey Knights. too!

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »
One the tail? I was thinking of adding some heavy flamer tanks for the turbo boosters and behind the driver it acts as a sort of wing. I agree it does look a little too clean so I think I can some rivets and some damage

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Numinak

• Ork Boy
  • Demo charges, the perfect gift to give.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »
I really like it, though I gotta admit the rollcage looks kinda tossed on and out of place since it connects directly to the handlebars.

Other than that, I'll probably end up stealing this idea!
What is not destroyed by bombardment will be crushed under the treads of our tanks!

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »
I really like it, though I gotta admit the rollcage looks kinda tossed on and out of place since it connects directly to the handlebars.

Other than that, I'll probably end up stealing this idea!

The cage kinda was a toss in after the fact, I think the buggy itself still looks great without it as can be seen in the pic before I added it

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
I need to ask you this... how did you make those wheels? It looks like you used GS. Overall, I love what you did. The roll cage is a good idea but how would he/she/it get off f the buggy? Rip it off?

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »
I need to ask you this... how did you make those wheels? It looks like you used GS. Overall, I love what you did. The roll cage is a good idea but how would he/she/it get off f the buggy? Rip it off?

The wheels were made from green stuff as was the pegs

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:52 AM »
Excellent (said slowly while rubbing hands together)

The wheel thing is the only issue I am having for getting my ravyn70 buggies into production, so as soon as I find some wheels I am all over it.

Well done, and 2 more teef for you.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Bannok

• Following our Path is what leads us to Victory.
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
Of possible why not try and mould some doors around the sides and then extend the Sentinel frame onto that? It will make it look more buggy like and having it connect onto the handle bars is all well and good but he wouldn't be able to turn due to the stiffness of the roll bars locking the handle bars in place.

Just a though otherwise great model overall!
If a Farseer can truly predict their varied deaths. Would they not simply pick the one that appeals to them the most?

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
I suppose just for realism I could do hinges on the rear of the rollcage to make it appear as if it flips up to get in and out

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
Awesome rokkit buggy and a great idea.  Very cheap way to make a very good unit for orks. 

I think they kinda look like 4 wheelers myself which is very cool.   I am probably going to use old model car tires myself as i have several sitting around from old projects.  They would look reallly good in a KOS style army or with a biker army.   

I already have two very different looking rokkit buggies and then do a few of these and I can have a couple of squads in no time. 

Thanks again for sharing.