News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rokkits/Big Shootas...worth it?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
Rokkits/Big Shootas...worth it?
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »
With all the mech running about, do you guys bother putting rokkits on normal boyz mobs? That's a lot of points for a 1 in 3 chance to hit with rokkits.
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline BaileyBankai, The epic ninja duck

• Orks, salemanders, cadians, i like green.
Re: Rokkits/Big Shootas...worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:48:31 AM »
I dont, theyre never worth 10 pts for me. I either miss. or hit and dont would/pen. Big shootas are ok if your running shoota boyz in Bw. If your on foot most of the time your running.

'i can pulp your flesh and snap your bones in less than a second and without so much as lifting a finger. what is the power of technology compared to that?' Vel'cona chief librarian of the salamanders.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
Rokkit launchas are sadly wasted on normal boyz. 

Terrible BS, short(ish) range and lack of real penetrating power mean that there is little point in taking them tbh.

Even with Tankbustas, I'd take tankhammers and a power klaw, and just 'make do' with the spare launchas.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
They aren't actually that bad on normal units, and if you can't grab rokkits elsewhere, they can be a nice addition, particularly to shoota boys. There are times when you're already parked on an objective, with no real need to advance at the enemy who's camping in/behind vehicles, and the rokkits will give you something useful to do.

That being said, the fast attack slots are where rokkits tend to perform the best, due to maneuverability and twin-linking. If you've already got your transport-hunters covered, you probably don't need to shell for the rokkits too badly.

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2010, 04:05:30 AM »
maneuverability and twin-linking. If you've already got your transport-hunters covered, you probably don't need to shell for the rokkits too badly.

Therein is the rub. Lootas are nice, but a squad is no more tough than any other, and horridly expensive, and also limited to one target per round. In higher-points games, there are just too many transports around to whack them before game-end. Against units like blood angels who move 7" inches, powerklaws need 6's. Deffkopptas are almust a must vs. mechanized these days. but for the cost of 1, I can buy 3 rokkits anyway, with better odds hitting even with twin linked. The only thing a mob losses is speed.
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »
maneuverability and twin-linking. If you've already got your transport-hunters covered, you probably don't need to shell for the rokkits too badly.

Therein is the rub. Lootas are nice, but a squad is no more tough than any other, and horridly expensive, and also limited to one target per round. In higher-points games, there are just too many transports around to whack them before game-end. Against units like blood angels who move 7" inches, powerklaws need 6's. Deffkopptas are almust a must vs. mechanized these days. but for the cost of 1, I can buy 3 rokkits anyway, with better odds hitting even with twin linked. The only thing a mob losses is speed.

Hitting on 6 only with a pk is still better odds then hitting with a non-twinlinked rokkit on 5+, since with the pk you'll have 3 tries at a minimum, realisticly 4 since it will almost always be a nob or better on a charge.  The point cost of rokkets doesn't both me, but speed is lifeblood to orks.  Having to give up the run for a relatively poor chance of doing something bothers me.

Offline kadeton

« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »
I like rokkits on boyz mobs for three main reasons.

First, it enables the mob to fire at transports on the way to the assault. If they immobilise the transport, great - their Nob now auto-hits with his klaw. If they blow it up, even better - now they can assault the squishies inside. If they do nothing, you haven't lost much. It's a similar situation assaulting drop-pod dreadnoughts, too - with a bit of luck you can blow off an arm, immobilise or stun it, reducing the casualties you suffer in the assault.

Second, they're great for defending objectives against pesky transports that you ignored earlier because they'd already unloaded their cargo. A rokkit boy makes a great sacrifice against tank shock by a Rhino or Chimera - the auto-hit really helps their effectiveness.

Third, they cause more casualties against Space Marines than big shootas. Yes, including all the shots you get. Since the main thing my boyz have learned to fear above all is a big unit of counter-charging Space Wolves, a couple of casualties before the fight starts goes a heck of a long way towards coming out on top.