News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850pt Khorne Daemonkin Combined Arms Detachment  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1850pt Khorne Daemonkin Combined Arms Detachment
« on: January 28, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »
Thinking of going to a tournament in a week or two, in which you can only take a single combined arms detachment. Only my KDK can be played in that format (Scions are not enough models for 1850pts), and Harlequins don't work in that format.

Going for lots of units, to take advantage of Blood Tithe, and to spread target priority. Get to use both my skull cannons, which are amazing units.

Lord joins one of the bloodcrusher units, and I have a unit of bloodletters and a Daemon Prince for summoning.

My hope, is that I have so much fast stuff, a lot of which can hit pretty hard, that at least some of it will reach combat!

1850 Pts - Codex: Khorne Daemonkin Roster

HQ

Bloodthister of Unfetted Fury

Chaos Lord, Gorefeaster, Axe of Khorne, Juggernaught, Sigil, Melta bomb

Elite

Terminators x3 combi-melta x3, power axe x3

Bloodcrushers x3, banner, bloodhunter

Bloodcrushers x3, banner, bloodhunter

Troops

Chaos Space Marines, x8, meltagun, power axe on champ, rhino

Chaos Space Marines, x8, meltagun, power axe on champ, rhino

Fast Attack

Spawn x1

Spawn x1

Chaos Bikes x3, power axe, x2 meltaguns

Heavy Support

Skull Cannon

Skull Cannon

Maulerfiend
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: 1850pt Khorne Daemonkin Combined Arms Detachment
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
I like this list a lot KS... it similar to what I plan on running with my own World Eaters. I wouldn't swap out anything at first glance. However I think a little context would help me evaluate the list and offer suggestions...

First off who is the Lord running with? Bikers or Bloodcrushers? Also you do have a lot of Melta Guns but do you think it'll be enough to deal with any Knights you may run into? Any thoughts on dealing with Eldar and Tau? I know it wont be easy, and it seems like Riptide-City up there in your neck of the woods.

Plus just out of pure curiosity how do you run your Bloodthirster? Do you start him in in jump mode or do you fly him on from reserves?

Anyway I think its a very solid list and I'd run something very similar myself. So let me know about those questions I'm fascinated to know. Anyway bud I'll be rooting for you of course. Let us know how the tournament goes... I'm trying to gather as much intel as possible as I develop my own Khorne army
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »
As players are not allowed any lords of war, or formations for this event, I'm not as concerned about riptides, and not at all concerned about knights.

Lord goes with one of the blood crushers units.

Bloodthirster has no guns, so he starts on the board and moves like jump infantry. Otherwise, he'll never get into combat.

The event is a little ways away (around 3-4 hour drive), so I'm going to play it by ear based on weather and how my car is doing (been acting up recently). I'm not sure what the meta is down there. I'll be expecting at least one Dark Angels player, with a terminator deathstar.

For vs eldar and tau, really I just hope to weather enough fire to get stuff into combat. Skull cannons will blast into targets of interest, as they are s8 and ignores cover.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »
Ah... ok! Excellent. No LoW is huge... didn't realize how good those Skull Cannons are... wow! Once I get a good 1250pts World Eaters list going... might need to look in Khorne Daemon allies to get those things in there. Plus they are so crazy looking I have to have them for my collection. Do you have any painted? I'd love to see them...

But anyway this isn't hobby time lol. I do think the list is very good and you should be racking up the blood tithe rather quickly.

Even with Knights I love the multi-directional melta attack you have. I love the presence of the Terminators with combi-meltas, the bikes and the CSM's you'll be able to engage any kind of armor, ganging up on units that could cause problems like Dreadnoughts.

I think this is a super solid list and will look great on the table. Really nice spread of models... and like I said I'd love to see some pics.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
Skull Cannons are super underrated. They are fantastic against so many targets. The AP is not really all that great, but it's great at putting hullpoints on vehicles, or instant-killing anything T4 or less. Some units rely heavily on cover saves for survivability, which the Skull Cannon laughs at. It also can do some damage in melee too. Not bad for the price. I played against Genestealer Cults, and the guy had a big mob of genestealers in a ruin, and with one shot I killed 12 of them lol.

I'll take some pictures later on for sure. I think there are some pictures of my army in my projects log, or in older battle reports.

Single Knight I'm not too worried about, but multiple knights would be an issue. I like running a Daemon Prince with Gore Feaster, as he's s8 on the charge. Normally, I run a blood host detachment, as I like the extra blood tithe.

You could also take allies from Khorne Daemonkin, which can net you some nice relics and a cheaper troops choice (8 bloodletters vs 10). As long as one model in a unit has the blood for the blood god rule, anything that unit kills generates Bloodtithe, so you could take a World Eaters lord on jugger, Put him with a unit of Spawn, BloodCrushers or FleshHounds from KDK, and then anything that Lord or Unit kills nets you blood tithe.

People use that trick with Khorne Renegades, as you can stick a cheap herald in a unit of artillery and then get bloodtithe from anything the cannons kill lol.

Due to the distance, I don't think I'm going to make it to the event, but I'll probably meet some folks to practice for the Barrie Bash coming up next month. A 60 person two day ITC event.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:40:45 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »
Wow... thats some great intel KS. I've got to look in Khorne Daemonkin... because I'm definitely running a Juggerlord and I want something cool to run him with. I was gonna do Bikes, but do you like Bloodcrushers? Or perhaps Fleshhounds? I've not looked too much into it but I'd fascinated to know which you would go with, bikes, blood crushers or hounds.

Also too bad you aren't going to that event. But you are going to Barrieabash? Thats great... you know Skari does struggle against daemon-engines so perhaps you can nab him with your Maulerfiends and hand him a defeat! lol

Please take some pics if you can manage it (I know tourneys are intense so no worries if you can't) but I'd love to see another one of your awesome armies riding out to glory. Especially a Khorne army as my inspiration for them is currently sky-high.

Anyway sorry to hijack your thread. Any areas of concern for your list? I'm always willing to ping-pong ideas back and forth. But seriously I really like your list though the Barrie Bash will be bigger challenge. I've seen the meta there before and its no joke! Definitley practice and let us know how it goes. Good luck KS can't wait to see how you do. Keep us posted!

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:19:25 AM »
I really love bloodcrushers, but they are too fragile and too expensive.

Flesh hounds are the best bet. Same price as a space marine, but two wounds a pop. Also have scout, so you're guaranteed a turn 2 charge. A unit of 15 hounds is fast, durable and hits hard, especially with a character or two in the unit. If you add in the talisman of burning blood, you're laughing.

I'm just a masosist, so I use blood crushers lol. Also, with the banner of burning blood, they can make very reliable charges.

Leaning towards using my Harlequins for the Bash, but I have a few weeks to decide.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Thats great info there KS. I'm definitley leaning hard towards the Hounds (not gonna do barkbark star or anything... to hell with that) but I've got a great idea on how to model them up... should be pretty unique. Gotta crunch some numbers on my army list and see if its possible.

But yeah Talisman, Juggerlord and the Hounds would be sick! Plus it'd look great. Thanks for the awesome info bud.

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
Man, Bark Bark star is another whole story, but you need Dark Angels and Space Wolves to do that. Flesh Hounds are good, but not the same as that lol. If you just want a delivery system for your lord, you should just take the Gore Pack formation. Two units of bikes, and a unit of flesh hounds. They all get move through cover and preferred enemy psykers and hammer of wrath. Not a bad formation at all.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
As the next major event I'm preparing for is an ITC event, I am thinking of taking the following KDK list.

1850pt Khorne Daemonkin

BloodHost Detachment

Core

Slaughtercult

Chaos Lord - Jugger, Sigil, Axe of Khorne, Gorefeaster, Meltabomb

Chaos Marines - x8, Power Axe, Meltagun

Bloodletters - x8, Bloodreaper

Spawn - x1

Spawn - x1

Cultists - x8

Cultists - x8

Possessed - x5

Auxillery

War Engine

Maulerfiend

War Engine

Helbrute - Combi-bolter, Multi-Melta

Brazen Onslaught

Terminators - x3, x3 combi-melta, x2 power axe, x1 chainfist

Terminators - x3, x3 combi-melta, x2 power axe, x1 chainfist

Bloodcrushers x3, Banner, Bloodhunter

Bloodcrushers x3, Banner, Bloodhunter

Command

Lords of Slaughter

Bloodthirster of Unfetted Fury

Basic plan, terminators deepstrike. Bloodthirster, Bloodcrushers, Maulerfiend spawn and Bloodthirster dash forwards.

Bloodletters, Chaos Marines, Cultists, Hellbrute Move+Run until they can get into combat (lol).

Spawn are overwatch soaks for other units, or will charge transports. Lots of little units, and a lot of characters. I can generate a lot of blood tithe and can usually summon a Daemon Prince, or replacement Bloodthirster by Turn 2. If I can't, then my opponent hasn't killed any of my units. Going with the principle of lots and lots of units, so they all can't be killed!

Against Riptide wing, Terminators footslog, no reason getting killed by interceptor. The terminators are pretty scary in combat. With the Brazen Onslaught formation, if they are outnumbered, they have 5 attacks each on the charge at AP2. The bloodcrushers are almost guaranteed a turn 2 charge (if they live).

Going to give it a shot on Saturday.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2017, 07:08:41 AM »
Hmmm honestly KS I think this list while cool, is just too squishy to make it across the board. I'm just imagining Eldar, Tau even Space Marines with Centurions and Scorpius Whirlwinds pouncing on those infantry super quick. I feel like you need another Maulerfiend for sure to make it work.

Have you thought about running some World Eaters in support? You could take them in a super stripped down version of their decurion with the Berserker formation and a single auxiliary, then flesh out the rest of the force with KDK (primarily the Daemons you want to run)? I just think you'd get more bang for your buck with their special pre-game movement, plus re-rolls to assault range etc. Then you've still got tons of point for loading KDK into your force and capitalizing on blood tithe.

I mean you could run super stripped down Warband even (no weapon upgrades on the Havocs) if you wanted. I just think if you are gonna be running CSM, a Lord, Possessed, on foot, you might as well rock World Eaters and get the movement bonus.

You can then add stuff like the Bloodletters, Bloodcrushers, Bloodthirster to taste. I'm no pro by any means but I just think about what I'd do against this army with my Eldar which are admittitedly very strong. But you know what? When my army has trouble its ALWAYS against fast assault armies. Space Wolves with Wolfen and Thunder Cav., Necrons with Wraiths or even just a simple Imperial Knight barreling forward. I'm betting any Eldar player you run into isn't going to have squat beyond the Wraithknight who is gonna be able to stop you in assault if you can there just a bit quicker.

So my advice is increase your speed somehow, even if World Eaters isnt the answer. Bikes, more Spawn, the deepstrike out of assault Raptor formation (perfect for wiping Jetbikes) etc. Anything along those lines will give Eldar, Tau a run for their money.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2017, 07:10:04 AM by Cavalier »

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
I see what you're getting at. I don't own any Berserkers, or Raptors, so I'll find it hard to run either of those detachments.

The possessed need to be KDK, so I can run the BloodHost detachment. This way, I get a free blood tithe every turn, which is awesome.

I've moved some points around, to take a KDK Cad with the Bloodhost detachment, so I can add in bikes. Units part of the Slaughter Cult, get a free blood tithe bonus every turn, whenever I spend blood tithe, so starting turn 2, all models in that formation will have rules, bonuses, et merda.

I like the Khorne Lord with the Burning Blood, but I have no really good unit to stick him in, and I wont get the free movement bonus. The KDK Lord with the axe and gorefeaster is simply the best.

Alright, here is my edited list, which I'll try tomorrow.

Blood Host Detachment

Slaughtercult

Bloodthirster of Unfetted Fury

Blood Letters w/ Bloodreaper

Chaos Marines w/meltagun, power axe and meltagun on champ

Spawn x1

Spawn x1

Possessed

Brazen Onslaught

Terminators
x3, x3 combi meltas

Bloodcrushers
x3, banner, bloodhunter

Bloodcrushers
x3, banner, bloodhunter

Combined Arms Detachment

Chaos Lord
Jugger, Sigil, Meltabomb, Axe of Khorne, Gorefeaster

Cultists

Cultists

Bikers
x3, poweraxe, meltabomb, x2 meltaguns

SkullCannon

Maulerfiend

So, dropped the Terminators and hellbrute, and stuck in the bikes and SkullCannon.

« Last Edit: February 4, 2017, 02:24:49 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2017, 08:45:34 AM »
Liking this list a lot more KS. I think its dramatically faster, lots of MSU which'll generate blood tithe quick. Plus anything that connects is gonna do damage. Love the double Skull Cannons (I'm obsessed with those now since you explained them to me). Really glad you kept the Termies in there too. Classic unit and should help a lot. Drop melta is a must if you can manage it.

Anyway bud I'll be fascinated to know how you do. Please take pics if you can and make sure to give us an update! I'll be rooting for you, good luck!