News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is it just me? or...  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Is it just me? or...
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
I've just came back to the site after a break of about two years, and I'm surprised at how quiet the place seems now too.  I guess the economic downturn might be affecting the hobby at large, but hopefully things will pick up again soon.  After all, I came back!

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »
One of the main reasons I stuck with 40konline is the tight mod control- the content is much higher quality than many other places, but obviously this does limit posts to some extent.

I used to post far more, but when I joined in 2006 I was a graduate student and I mainly played 40k. Now I have two small kids, a job and I play a wider range of GW and non-GW games. The 40k focus and the low posting rate both make me less likely to post too. I wonder if this sort of thing affects a proportion of our "senior" posters :)

I think a lot of the forums are being screwed over by social media. My gaming club's forum was going ok, until we got a facebook group too- now we get a couple of posts a month, but 10+ posts a day to facebook. I would imagine that the smaller the forum, the more serious this affect is, so places like warseer are doing better. The isn't necessarily a bad thing for gaming, but might be a bad thing for our fourm.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #22 on: April 1, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »
I just want to say that a lot of the time, I see very few members on, but lots of guests.  I saw 14 guests in one thread once.  So to all those guests, can I say that you should join up?   This place is a great site to be a part of.

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #23 on: April 1, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
Pretty much nothing left to say on my 40k armies and now I find myself shifting towards WFB after a particularly unenjoyable 40k battle.

I am, however, feeling an apathy towards GW games in general. Even after so many editions, they're still the same settings with the same armies with the same basic tactics. It can't keep everyone interested indefinitely, especially with the amount of investment you have to put into this hobby now.

Is there an actual movement away from GW towards alternative, more skirmish-level games? The reason could be a stale game rather than a stale forum.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #24 on: April 1, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
I saw 14 guests in one thread once.  So to all those guests, can I say that you should join up? 

Many of them are bots. So you're going to have to appeal to SkyNet if you want them to sign up.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 05:49:35 AM »
I saw 14 guests in one thread once.  So to all those guests, can I say that you should join up? 

Many of them are bots. So you're going to have to appeal to SkyNet if you want them to sign up.  ;)

I thought tryanotherone left?
Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance

Offline mrbox

• boosted!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Imperial Guard
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
I am new to this forum  i lurked for a long time before registering and only posted a few times in the first few days and then nothing until now.

· i check the forum every day ( nearly)
· i don't post on topics at all because being new to the hobby i feel i can't add anything of value.

It seems to me that its the same few members that reply to their own areas of expertise/army and i bet that they get tired, why always me?

I absorb as much info as possible from this forum even reading posts in sections i don't collect an army for. All info is handy!

i am stuck for suggestions im afraid but am willing to get off my my arse and help if i can.

Michael

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »
I thought this was mostly an eldar tactics forum (even though it has everything else) its essentially what people are here for?. It rates very high in the google search for some combination of tactics + eldar.

Concequently we may see more activity here when we get the new codex and models. Most gamers i know in the two main groups i was active in do not use the internet to discuss their games at all. This goes right across the board. D&D, warmachine, 40k malifaux etc.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
It seems to me that its the same few members that reply to their own areas of expertise/army and i bet that they get tired, why always me?

This is a very good point.

One of the problems that has happened over the last few years is that many of our more experienced, and prolific, forum members have grown tired of doing this, and/or playing the game in general, and have left.  The trouble is that a number of them left at more or less the same time, creating a void which hasn't been filled.  This, of course, has led to a drop in posts.

I thought this was mostly an eldar tactics forum (even though it has everything else) its essentially what people are here for?. It rates very high in the google search for some combination of tactics + eldar.

It was originally an Eldar forum when it was created, so there has always been a strong Eldar community here.  The age of the codex, and the loss of key contributors, has made it a lot slower than it used to be.

Before, it required multiple active local moderators owing to the traffic levels there, but that's no longer the case, which tells its own story.  A new codex may rectify this, assuming it proves to be popular.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
I am new to this forum  i lurked for a long time before registering and only posted a few times in the first few days and then nothing until now.

· i check the forum every day ( nearly)
· i don't post on topics at all because being new to the hobby i feel i can't add anything of value.

Even if you're new to the game, don't feel afraid to post. We try not to bite.  ::)
Sometimes it just turns into the same voices saying the same words over and over, so new people, with new insights help promote more varied discussions.

One of the problems that has happened over the last few years is that many of our more experienced, and prolific, forum members have grown tired of doing this, and/or playing the game in general, and have left.  The trouble is that a number of them left at more or less the same time, creating a void which hasn't been filled.  This, of course, has led to a drop in posts.

I wouldn't say I'm an experienced member or anything, but I only really lurk in the boards that I have an interest in and only post in ones I feel quite passionate about (Tau FTW!)
As Irisado said, as the older members leave/lose motivation we need to pick up the slack and keep the posts up.

The way I see it, if there are less people posting, people will be less likely to join the forum, as it seems to be an exclusive club type of thing.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Crawfskeezen

• The Emperor Protects
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Dark Angels
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »

I absorb as much info as possible from this forum even reading posts in sections i don't collect an army for. All info is handy!

I'm finding that browsing other boards has taught me a lot about other armies. And even though I do not play every army, I play against every army and will take any intel I can get on them. As well it helps to be familiar with the rules of every army to save time in-game (looking up rules, challenging rules, etc...).

I have noticed a drop in posts but I'm still trying to contribute and am not disheartened by the lull in activity. It's not crippling, members are still posting and replying and no doubt the summer will see an increase in traffic due to vacation/spare time/nice weather. I know I do most of my painting and terrain building in the summer as I can sit outside in 30 degree sun, not a -20 degree snowdrift eh?
CO 46th Frostshields

"Relish The Cold, Freeze The Foe"

7th W/D/L

IG 1/0/0

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
I always keep checking the dark eldar part of this forum as it's my main army, but the last few months/years it has been pretty dead. Pretty sad, it's always awesome when a codex comes out, or a new edition, always see more activity.

Another big factor is the size and the type of army you're building. A guy who builds a 7k force is mostlikely a guy who buys at least 1 units of each in his codex. Such a force gives a lot more possiblities to test. I'm one of those guys, you go to the GW, you ignore FOC, just take whatever units you want to buy, even if they're bad ,even if you already filled that particular FOC slot. So many don't have the budget and they build 1 specific armylist,  I know from experience that gets old fast and they quit ,put that army to the side, until a new edition, or a new codex.

How big your army is and how well you paint also matters, if the army is big and the guy wants a kickass job on everything it will take time to do it and and he'll stay busy for a good while.(I'm actually like that type, got several huge armies to keep me busy)

It's not just the dark eldar section of this forum, it's most of the forum that has been pretty slow, that's what has been keeping me away. I see so few posts in the section I like to visit, when you post a reply or post a new topic, it takes forever for a reply. The slowness of the posting, but mostly the lack of posting is what is slowly forcing me to quit to forum, I feel less and less like coming back. So few are posting it's sad.

Another small, but still important point: I'm mostly against spam, but not completely, in the case of painting I am not. If I work on a guy for a month, I post pictures: I post it, for people to see it, I would expect some replies, even if it's a nice, not having any replies is almost like people are ignoring the post. It's a bit of an ego thing I admit, but it's always nice to get a compliment and it encourages me to paint more. It's nice to have a constructive comment, but a compliment is nice as well.

I did notice that this particular forum has less activity, I see plenty of activity on other forums and on facebook pages. I look mostly for Dark Eldar related posts, and I get plenty of posts, I know that IRL plenty of players either play DE or they some of our units as allies, plenty of DE activity, weirdly not reflected on this forum, but it is on most other forums I am on.

These days I'm mostly all about converting and mostly about painting, this forum has close to 0 activity on that side, while I get plenty of action on other forums and on facebook. I post a picture of one my latest here, maybe in 2 days I'll get 3 replies (usually come together) On facebook those 3 replies will come in a couple of minutes/hours. People are a lot more active on FB than on forums. The number of likes is also more important that the number of view. Whether you reply or you leave a like matters. When you look at something and you don't leave anything behind, it usually means you either don't care or you didn't really like what you saw.

I don't need to make a dramatic goodbye like others have, most people have left this forum anyway, but I honestly don't feel much like hanging around on this dead forum anymore, I mostly waste my time on here looking for good threads, replies take forever,  while on other forums/BF pages, there's plenty of activity.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
I did notice that this particular forum has less activity, I see plenty of activity on other forums and on facebook pages.

Actually, anecdotal evidence suggests that a lot of fora are struggling for activity these days.  Other fora which focus exclusively on 40K are struggling for activity too.

You've highlighted one of the problems which has been alluded to before, but cannot be stressed enough.  Trying to compete with Facebook, Twitter, and blogs is very difficult at the moment.  Too many people seem to prefer these styles of unregulated, and in my view, spam filled, sources.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
I'm getting a little tired of poring time and effort into my alternative IG rules in the forge with almost zero feedback.  And there's just...nobody left.  I don't know what happened but, this place might be finished, and it pains me to say it.  :(

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »
Having just looked back through the first ten pages in the Forge, there are numerous threads which have received no replies over the years, and very few threads which have received replies which get into double figures.  It's not a high traffic board at the best of times, so now that the forum is going through a lean patch, it's going to be even worse.

Incidentally, if any of you have ideas about features or content which you think would get more people to post, or attract more new active members to the site, then by all means make your suggestions in the Suggestions, Questions, and Comments board.  There's no guarantee that they would be implemented, but there's no harm in asking.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 04:53:49 AM »
I did notice that this particular forum has less activity, I see plenty of activity on other forums and on facebook pages.

Actually, anecdotal evidence suggests that a lot of fora are struggling for activity these days.  Other fora which focus exclusively on 40K are struggling for activity too.

You've highlighted one of the problems which has been alluded to before, but cannot be stressed enough.  Trying to compete with Facebook, Twitter, and blogs is very difficult at the moment.  Too many people seem to prefer these styles of unregulated, and in my view, spam filled, sources.

If you think the decline in traffic on this forum is anywhere close to comparable with the decline on dakkadakka, warseer, the warhammer forum, or 40kforums.com, then you're out of your beslubbering mind. They have experienced a mild drop in posts. We've had a rout.

I've been a member of this forum for 8 years. It was the first forum I ever became a part of, and for a very long time it was by far and away my favourite. Therefore this is painful for me to admit. Nevertheless- stick a fork in it, 40KO's done.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 06:39:54 AM »
If you think the decline in traffic on this forum is anywhere close to comparable with the decline on dakkadakka, warseer, the warhammer forum, or 40kforums.com, then you're out of your beslubbering mind. They have experienced a mild drop in posts. We've had a rout.

I've been a member of this forum for 8 years. It was the first forum I ever became a part of, and for a very long time it was by far and away my favourite. Therefore this is painful for me to admit. Nevertheless- stick a fork in it, 40KO's done.

Dakka doesn't struggle for activity because of the quality of posts (i.e. poor quality) that it allows.  Warseer's 40K tactics and army lists section has seen a significant drop off in activity in recent years (I know, I've been a member there since 2007), the Warhammer Forum I've no idea about, and 40K forums is hardly setting a blaze through the internet with its activity level.

The highest levels of activity are to be found on blogs on other forms of social media, not fora.  Indeed, if you go to SMF's parent site, you will see endless discussions about the problems forum admins are having with keeping activity going on existing fora, or getting anyone to sign up to new ones.  This is not a problem specific to 40K Online.

Finally, if you keep saying that something is done, then it's hardly going to help to drum up activity, and encourage others to post is it?  If the Staff just surrenders, and gives out a message of doom and gloom, how does that motivate the regular members of the forum?  I know that you're still capable of contributing to the forum, so why not make some contributions, and try to get others to discuss things?  It's got to be better than just sitting there saying 'we're doomed'.  If you're stuck for ideas as to what you could do, then send me a PM, because I've got a long list of things which need doing, and you're welcome to help :).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:58:49 AM by Irisado »

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
Firstly, i would like to support the mods with the work that they do, the reason that this is the only forum i really frequent is the high quality of posts here, on the other forums all i seem to find is a combination of trolls and cut and paste lists (you all know the type).

Secondly, i feel that the forums could all do with a system like the ork WOTW, which actively encourages people to regularly post high quality answers and threads. It also helps to build up a sense of community in that respective forum.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
I agree with the statement that a bunch of spam or non coherent content isn't useful at all.

One thing that I've noticed on the Escapist forums is that people just give their opinion on things and no really back and forth discussion ever really takes place.

I can't speak for other warhammer forums because I'm a die hard 40kO fan!

The lower amount of people and higher standards is actually what keeps me coming back here. 

I feel that a greater effort to let no one's post go unreplied by the veteran players that are still here would help encourage new comers to stay.

Battle reports of cool things that happened would be awesome as well.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »

I agree.

After almost 3 years of 40K hiatus, I come back to take a look and most of the veterans/prolific posters of the time are gone (including myself in here). As 40K (and generally GW) veteran, I just grew tired of the game, that and it took forever for GW to get Codices done, and I guess I became bitter about GW policies. Needed to breathe some fresh air.

And as mentioned somewhere above, stagnation. Nothing moves. Fluff's always the same old fluff. Rules never really change, they have a turnabout cycles every 2 editions, so you have to change from CC and shooty armies every 2 editions of the game(s). And GW present them (new rules) in a shinny package to show how they are awesome at game balancing and how tehy are going to fix last ed's failures, ahahahah...
I didn't play 6th ed at all (yet - though in the process of reading the rules) but 5th ed was a throwback to 3th ed rules, and from what I can see, clock has turned about for vehicle/CC armies and 6th is a throwback to 4th and 2nd, where vehicles were coffins for the living and CC, while brutal and game winner, was extremely difficult to achieve without assaults units being raped - Before or after CC occurred.

Same old same, all the time (with some minor changes), I understand why a lot of veterans would get tired of it.

Immobilism. Dinosaurs. Extinction.

Ohwell, maybe the new Eldar Codex will rekindle my flame.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.