News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Death Masque  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Death Masque
« on: August 6, 2016, 05:48:27 AM »
Warhammer 40,000: Death Masque | Games Workshop Webstore

This looks like a different approach by GW to get new players into 40K.  It inevitably features the Space Marines, but to have the Harlequins as the opposing faction is very unexpected and very welcome.  The only baffling thing is that Eldrad is, for unfathomable reasons, leading the Harlequin force.  This hardly sets a great example for new players in terms of building armies with the narrative in mind, but on the upside at least it's a new model.

The Space Marine models look pretty impressive, and the Harlequins impressed me the first time that they were released.  On that basis alone, this would be a good boxed set for new players.

What are the thoughts of the rest of you about this boxed set?
« Last Edit: August 6, 2016, 06:26:17 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Death Masque
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2016, 06:18:36 AM »
Eldrad being involved in secret harlie business is not that big of a stretch, but yeah would have made more sense to do cwe

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2016, 09:39:06 AM »
I guess I'm going to be growing my harlequin army.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
I am totally stoked. I'm definitely gonna collect this whole series. I've wanted proper Harlie models for awhile now and since this is supposed to be part of a larger campaign I'm gonna pick up each of the boxes... especially if the Thousand Sons are gonna be included.

As for the inclusion of Eldrad with the Harlies its part of the narrative for the campaign at least thats what the rumors say. Its all building up to a war in the Webway... GW has been posting all these Eldar prophecies on their FB page and its all centering around the Harlies, the Black Library and the various heroes of the Eldar. Also from GW's own posts it seems Ynnead is finally going to be born.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
I am seriously excited about this set. I've been building up an Ordo Xenos force for a while (well, haven't had time to work on it for a bit, but still...). I've also wanted to do Harlequins for a while. This new box scratches two itches at once.  ;D

The rumor mill has been bustling with tidbits of info on the Deathwatch Codex, and it looks like it is going to be a LOT of fun. Combined with my existing Inquisition stuff that I've built or have sitting on sprues waiting to be built, my Ordo Xenos army is going to be awesome (to me at least)!

If anyone in the US wants to help me with the scratching, I've been trying to raise funds and have a sales thread up in the Trading Post... </shameless plug>

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »
I'll definitely be picking up a box if it has Thousand Sons in it. Those Deathwatch models, though cool, aren't really what I'm looking for.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
hmm well down here its about $570+ worth of models for $265.... roughly $325 of it is Eldar, Plus that new Eldrad model looks sweet as.

Don't need to be a farseer to see alot of cheap Space Marines and Harlies are going to be on Ebay soon :)

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
It looks great but there's a couple problems I have with it, from a new player point of view:

-Cost. For us 'veteran' 40k players, that $150 is a hell of a good deal but for someone looking to start a game they may or may not like, that would be one hell of a gamble.

-Putting the models together. This isn't the simple ''snap tight' models from the older editions other than 3rd edition which was normal models. That extra work could be a paint in the butt for new players.

-Eldar. Don't get me wrong, Eldar are awesome, I have a army of Eldar myself but I have a feeling that some people would not like to play the Eldar because they are elves.

How to fix those problems:

-have a less expensive starter set. Less stuff but it cost less. Thus people might want to buy it because it costs less. Have something like the old assault on black reach of even something like Guard vs Tau. Make the simple starter kit with snap tight models. Basic rules too. Then have a 'upgrade' box. Same army as the mini set but more rules, more stuff, more awesomeness. It will cost more but it's a good upgrade for people who liked the simple starter kit.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
-have a less expensive starter set. Less stuff but it cost less. Thus people might want to buy it because it costs less. Have something like the old assault on black reach of even something like Guard vs Tau. Make the simple starter kit with snap tight models. Basic rules too. Then have a 'upgrade' box. Same army as the mini set but more rules, more stuff, more awesomeness. It will cost more but it's a good upgrade for people who liked the simple starter kit.

Like the $100 start collection boxes? Those are fantastic deals. Every one of them.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 12:28:24 AM »
It looks great but there's a couple problems I have with it, from a new player point of view:

-Cost. For us 'veteran' 40k players, that $150 is a hell of a good deal but for someone looking to start a game they may or may not like, that would be one hell of a gamble.

-Putting the models together. This isn't the simple ''snap tight' models from the older editions other than 3rd edition which was normal models. That extra work could be a paint in the butt for new players.

-Eldar. Don't get me wrong, Eldar are awesome, I have a army of Eldar myself but I have a feeling that some people would not like to play the Eldar because they are elves.

How to fix those problems:

All the game starter box sets have a side that someone thinks is meh..

Offline GoblinChow

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »
I like the looks of the set.  I was thinking of adding some deathwatch to my Dark Angels.  I play Dark Angels and CSM.  (Started with Dark Vengeance and kept growing both armies.)  My Girlfriend and one of my Daughters both just got copies of this set for me. (They both thought I would have fun painting the Harlequins!)  I am afraid that this is going to have to be the start of a new army!  I was intending to get a small Imperial Guard force to play Zone Mortalis and some 750 point battles on our small table, but now I think it's going to be Eldar and Harlequins.  I won't see either of them for a few weeks, so I might get a bit of a reprieve from painting all of those diamond patterns.   I am going to be seeing those things in my sleep for a few weeks.  They may look like clowns, but they aren't funny!

I watched Warhammer TV's painting guide videos for the Harlequins and the Eldar.  The models actually look spectacular when painted by an expert!  (Not sure what they will look like after I finish with them.)  I guess I will have some fun with these.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:55:06 AM »
The cynic in me wants to say that the only reason it's Harlequins in the box is that the sales were underwhelming for GW due to the fact that they absolutely suck in the current Meta. If the reports of the 40k story progressing to one minute from midnight soon are correct then it would make a lot of sense for Eldrad and the Harlequins to be involved (Even though Eldrad was supposed to die......until they conveniently wiped out the Black crusade story line).
The Eldrad model is beautiful though, I don't need any more Harlequins and the Deathwatch models won't fit in with my Raven Guard but I may try and pick up Eldrad on ebay.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 04:51:13 AM »

This looks like a different approach by GW to get new players into 40K. 

This is the 3rd Campaign box released in the past 2 years, nothing new or different. The previous two were very popular and successful, so we're likely to see more in the future.

This box is very much not a 'starter' box and is not intended for new beginners or getting people started in Warhammer 40,000. This is a campaign box aimed at existing collectors.
There is only one Starter box for Warhammer 40,000 and that is Dark Vengeance.

But yes, as with the previous campaign boxes, this is an excellent set! Great value, shed load of models, new rules/formations and unique character models.
It's on my 'to buy' list :D

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 05:30:04 AM »
If it's not intended for new players, why would it include a rulebook?  Current players would already have a copy of the rules, so it seems to me that its net is cast quite widely in terms of scope.

Either way, I do agree that it's certainly one of the better sets of this kind that GW has produced.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »
If it's not intended for new players, why would it include a rulebook?  Current players would already have a copy of the rules, so it seems to me that its net is cast quite widely in terms of scope.
Even experienced gamers want smaller copies of the rules?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
That's most likely to be the answer.  I'd forgotten about the size difference in the rulebooks.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
As GML says, plus it's good for people updating rulebooks / returning gamers.

Better is subjective depending on the benefits of the box to the individual ;)
As I've said, this is the 3rd so far, all very good boxes with similar number of models, additional rules etc.
Some of us have bought them all... :D