News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chaos Marines 1500pts Unusual ponderings  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Chaos Marines 1500pts Unusual (List added) (First Impressions after battle)
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:07 AM »
So, I have played so far three games with the list, with two wins and one loss. Not too bad, I like the layout. Though I am thinking of adding in a defiler for ordinance fire support, but I have yet to decide what to take out to make room for it.

I have decided that the Lesser Daemons are essential to the list, even though they mostly always die, their deaths leave me open to great counter-charges most of the time or they hold up the enemies nastiest units for one crucial turn. There is nothing that I could replace them with, that would be able to effectively counter the same threats at their points cost.

The list seems to work together pretty well I feel, I like the symmetry of it. I feel that taking out any part will ruin the list as it stands.

Oh, Well I have made a small change from the original list, it now stands as such.

HQ

Greater Daemon

Deamon Prince with Wings and Gift of Chaos

Troops

Chaos marines
x7
Ac w/pw
Plasmagun
IoCg

Chaos marines
x7
Ac w/pw
Plasmagun
IoCg

Chaos marines
x6
Ac w/pw
Meltagun
IoCg

Lesser Daemons
x7

Lesser Daemons
x7

Fast Attack

Spawn
X9

Heavy Support

Oblitorator Cult
x3

1499pts
11 Kill points
5 scoring units

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline sonsoftaurus

• Sons of Taurus
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
Awesome to see some spawn-heavy lists!  Kudos to you, looks like it would be a fun list to play and to play against.

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 12:23:11 PM »
Fast Attack

Spawn
X9

That makes 3 units of 3 models right?

I want to know how this many of them is working out for you!?  Are you getting 1st and 2nd turn assaults?  What armies are you playing against with them?  They are awesome against T3 armies such as IG and Eldar!

I love the Spawn models, much like Possessed, I just wish they had better stats:expense ratio.

Are you having much luck with the GoC DP?

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline archonoftheredhand

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »
I really like your list as it is.

A defiler will break the army coherency. It's always a fire magnet and without any other big targets it want do much IMO. In my list with 4 other vehicles it's always the first thing to go down (my brother has had some real luck since I bought my defiler and destroyed him the last 3 games with one ML shot on his first turn).

The spawn can also use some attention from heavy weapons, but most players will go for the defiler I guess.

If you want to include one, dropping a CSM squad is the next best thing if you don't want to drop the LD's.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
Chaos Marines 1500pts Pondering Ideas Unusual.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »
Right, I want to keep all stuff for this army in one thread. I find it helps me.

I have bought some models and now I can have a vet squad of 8 with two flamers and pairs of lighting claws (cheaper then powerfists or single claws, and margionally more expensive then power weapons).

Unit comes to like 204pts with 8, which is quite a lot.

Well, here is my ideas for list and I'll need help figuring out what to do. And some reasoning behind what I did.

HQ

Deamon Prince with Wings, Mark of Tzeentch and Gift of Chaos-180pts

Deamon Prince with Wings, Mark of Tzeentch and Gift of Chaos-180pts

Elites

Chosen-186pts
x7 marines
x2 flamers
x2 pairs of lighting claws
Mocu

Troops

Chaos marines-160pts
x7
Ac w/pw
Plasmagun
IoCg

Chaos marines-160pts
x7
Ac w/pw
Plasmagun
IoCg

Chaos marines-155pts
x7
Ac w/pw
Meltagun
IoCg

Fast Attack

Spawn-240pts
X6

Heavy Support

Oblitorator Cult-225pts
x3

This leaves me 14pts under.

So I dropped the lesser Daemons (uesless to me I found) and the Greater Daemon. I added MoT and gift of chaos to both DPs (as MoT lets me use the power twice right? if so thats pretty yummy). Also I added a 7 man chosen unit. The chosen are there soely for the ability to out-flank which I think is very cool. Also the ability to threaten peoples further-back objectives I'll find very handy. All the changes I made though, are very expensive.

Some other possibilities.

1.Use the vet-models and use them to bolster my CSM units so all are 10men with double special weapons. This is instead of having the chosen unit. That'd be 175pts total for all of that, leaving me 25pts under.

2.Get rid of MoT on the princes as well as GoC. Maybe just give them Warp-time or Winds instead. Saves points.

3. I have a defiler. yay defiler?

4. Still have the Greater Daemon. Yay greater Daemon?

5. same with 14 lesser Daemons and 4 terminators (3 combi-plasma, 1 Heavy flamer and 1 chainfist)

Really at a stump on what to do.

I am adamant on keeping three separate CSM units, the duel princes (naked with wings minimum), 6 spawn and 3 oblitorators. With naked princes, and squads as they are above would leave me 286pts to spend on stuff. I do want to make use of the new marines I bought (about 5-6 basic marines are able to be rebuilt for any purpose). I do have extra marines lying around, so I am sure I can make at least two of the 7 man squads 10men. Special weapons I have quite a few of now. Not sure what to do.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: Chaos Marines 1500pts Unusual ponderings
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 11:14:36 PM »
Dropping the Lesser Daemons is understandable, BUT THE GREATER DAEMON??? Are you even Killersquid?  ;)

Dps are cool for max spawnage, but cookie cutter.

CSM look ok, but maybe one fist on the melty dudes would balance them out.

Spawn look ok, but don't forget it's 2 squads.

Oblits keep the list lethal as teh footsloggers get in optimal range.

I just think you need some speed to keep up with the DP's, as they need some company, not just bought spawn and made spawns...(to survive to reach there to sow havoc).

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

• Ancient
Re: Chaos Marines 1500pts Unusual ponderings
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »
Yeah, dropping the DP is something I am not really too happy about. I kinda broke the model (again) so it needs to be fixed, thus an excuse to not include it now. Lesser Daemons I really like, but they are the easiest thing to drop for the points to upgrade the DP's and add the chosen (with the GD). If there is a way to fit them back in, I would go for it.

Getting to the opponent, or objectives is something I am very worried about, which is the reason for adding the chosen (infiltrate and such). But is it worth it? I could always use the vet models I made to convert them into Raptors instead, may be much cheaper points-wise or around the same amount.

In another town, I have a few vehicles that are unassembled I could use to make Rhinos with, but the chances of getting them anytime soon is doubtful. But is an option for later.

Daemon Princes are cookie-cutter, but they were before, and normally always would be. No way around that. I can at least use them to add to the theme, which is getting smaller lol. 9 spawn I would like to get back. What happened to them all?

I know it's two squads. I just list 'em all as one for convenience.

I am not too sure on the GoC on the princes, I at least want to try it out. It's 50 extra points on each prince over basic wings to add that, so if it doesn't work out I'll have easily enough points to sneak back in the GD. I feel like I am getting sucked into the "BUY EXPENSIVE STUFF" feeling.

I could also always just use the new chosen squad as just a 4th troops unit. Might save points. Powerfist on the Meltagun squad champ I'll try to fit in.

I feel like I am thinking into this too much. There is so much I want to do, but so little points  :-\.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria