News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tale of 5 Gamers - 2010  (Read 30000 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Tale of 5 Gamers - 2010
« Reply #20 on: December 2, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »
Just be careful with monoliths, they are quite a points suck. Their offensive ability is also very limited, they are just good at being tough, and at supporting the rest of the force. I am excited to watch the Necron forces build. I may be a bit biased. THe Traitor guard tanks are coming along awesome though, as well as the Ultra-guard.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #21 on: December 3, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »
Well I have to say that all this talk of Necron Monoliths is starting to make me feel a bit uneasy....

Might have to make a couple of adjustments to my list!  ;)

We haven't played against 'Crons for a while amongst our group (we sort of stopped after 5th edition came along, and because the 2 Necron players had shiny new armies), and I had honestly forgotten how nasty they are.

Scarab swarms could be a nightmare for my tanks, and I think my plasma spam will be pretty ineffective too.

However with the forces almost now decided (just awaiting one more confirmation) it looks as though we have the basis for a narrative campaign too.

Campaign Setting

The Campaign will be set on Messier Object 45 in the Pleiades Cluster (sorry, had to get a work reference in there - but only Kototoma will get that one!).

Messier Object 45 is a relatively small Imperial world in the Pleiades Cluster, a star system close to the edge of the Ultramar Sub Sector.

A predominently Agri World, Messier is an important resource for the Ultramarines, as well as being of strategic importance.

The planet itself has a single large landmass with 3 main connurbations, only one of which could be referred to as a Hive by Imperial Standards.

This is the Capital, Pleione which houses the planet's Administratum and Mechanicus facilities.

The other 2 cities Maia and Asterope would be considered small by Imperial standards, and are primarily involved with the planet's economy, although both do house small starports and PDF garrisons.

The planet is a temperate one, although has been known to suffer seasonally extreme variations in temperature, with occasional blistering hot summers and freezing winters.

Vast swathes of farmland give way to mountainous regions in the North, whilst much of the deep South is a blasted Rad Zone, which has apparently long interested the Adepts of the Cult Mechanicus, who say it as at odds with the planet's proximity to the local star, and predates the arrival of its human settlers.

Some believe it is the site of a long forgotten war, but the Mechanicus guard their secrets well.

Of other interest are several large ruined structures which also predate the arrival of the Imperium. Some believe them to have been built by the planet's long dead indigenous populace, but others whisper of more sinister Xenos origins.

Our Campaign starts with a distress call from the Planetary Governor to Marneus Calgar of the Ultramarines Chapter of Adeptus Astartes.

His planet has been overrun by an invasion by the forces of the Ruinous Powers and his forces have been devastated.

Legions of Traitor Guard have made planetfall and laid siege to Pleione.

Their intent at this point is unclear, but it is most likely they intend to establish a foothold in the cluster with the intention of invading the Ultramar Sub Sector.

Calgar has redirected a Regimant of his Ultramar Defence Force who were already in the cluster en route to Macragge to reinforce the Governor's beleaguered forces.

However soon after making planet fall and establishing a landing zone The UDF forces received reports of strange signals and energy fluctuations at 2 of the largest Xenos Ruins.

The Necrontyr had also shown an interest in Messier, arriving in force and attacking both Chaos and Imperial forces alike.

What was going on here? What could be so important for both Traitor and Xenos to risk an invasion so close to the home of the Ultramarines?

In fact thousands of years before man had begun to walk upright a star ship of the Necrontyr had crashed on Messier.

The ruined Xenos Structures are in fact the fossilisd remains of part the craft, much of which still lies buried in the Deep South.

The Adeptus Mechanicus have known of its existence for some time, and blasted the Southern Region with atomics both in an attempt to excavate the vessel and to deter closer inspection of the crash site.

However recently they made a breakthrough, deciphering some of the strange alien Hieroglyphs and activating part of the vessel. Thought long since dead the vessel did in fact send out a short, wide band signal before deactivating.

A month later the dread forces of Chaos arrived, were they drawn to the signal?

We may never know, but the invading Necron forces were almost certainly drawn to the planet by inadvertent actions of the Mechanicus......

OK so its not exactly original but it will do and matches up the forces we have and allows the Necron Players to possibly have their own landing pad rather than the Sky Shield (giant pyramid or something?).

Of course the story may develop depending on Alex's choice of army. If he is playing Guard then he may want to be the Messier Defence Force, or otherwise we can say all of these have turned to Chaos and he can play something else.

@ lijah_Cuu: Mate I can't believe that Medusa was still in bits and bags on Saturday and now its almost finished!!! Damn You!! Looks lovely though, the weathering is really effective and I love that colour. I must admit I found the Armageddon pattern basilisk a pig too!

« Last Edit: December 3, 2009, 09:39:39 AM by Chris Parsons »
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #22 on: December 3, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »
Blimey!  Only a few days in and there's tonnes to look at :D

Should be a very interesting read this thread, even if the guard are traitors....! ;)
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Albion

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #23 on: December 3, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »
Hey Guys,
 Well Since I've managed to haul myself back from the pit of despair I've decided to finish an army that I started toying with about 2 years ago.
 That said I think that it's time to start a tread-head army of mechanised Guard.
 So far the theme I'm thinking of is using some Steel legion and Death Korp figures along with a mix of old style guard that I've dug out in one of my many clear outs.
 I'll post some pictures in the next few days and looking forward to starting properly.... dare I say even having an army that is actually finished (shock horror!!!) Anyhow I'll keep you all posted.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2009, 05:07:05 AM »
@ Albion: Nice one mate, that's really cool. Glad you went for IG as it means we have 2 MEQ and 3 non MEQ armies, but also a stronger narrative too.

Interesting that all of the IG players have gone mechanised though......

Should be some fun games (well the ones that aren't against Necrons anyway - can you tell I don't like playing against them?)

@ Jonik: we're not all traitors....  :)

Cheers though, hopefully this time around we will all get finished, it looks as though we are all chomping at the bit and have got a fair bit done, as ever though I am falling behind!

This week it dawned on me that I need an HQ and 2 troops choices painted in the next 2 months, which for most people wouldn't be a problem but for me is.

I had been spending lots of time on my Hellhound but hadn't actually built my minimums. With that in mind I have been assembling lots of guardsmen!

So what have I got done?

Well apart from cutting my fingers to pieces (funny how brand new scalpel blades have no problem cutting through flesh but struggle with plastic - guess that's what they're supposed to do), I have manged to assemble a very no frills command squad, 2 infantry squads (these will stand in for Hardened Vets for now) and a squad of 10 scouts (counts as penal troops)

It's the scouts which have caused me the most grief, but I'll explain more when I have some photos. Basically I want them more lightly armoured, so I have been removing shoulder pads from Cadian arms on some and using Catachan arms with greenstuffed rolled sleeves for others but its just taking too long.

So my first pledge will be to paint:

December

1 Chimera
1 Infantry Squad (counts as Veteran for now)

January

1 Command Squad
1 Infantry Squad (counts as Veteran for now)

That will give me my 1 HQ and 2 troops for my first game, but comes in way under 500 points so I will try to get the Hellhound finished too.

As you can see though this hardly gives me the mechanised list I was hoping for, but that's purely because my Chimera conversions work out expensive (a chimera and a predator get sacrificed but I do get a Rhino out of it too) and I haven't been able to afford them.

Anyway, I'll steal the camera from work and hopefully get some pics up soon.

Offline lijah_cuu

• Best Painted Hellhound; Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2009, 05:41:36 AM »
Well apart from cutting my fingers to pieces (funny how brand new scalpel blades have no problem cutting through flesh but struggle with plastic - guess that's what they're supposed to do
I've also suffered with new scalpel blades, having cut up 2 fingers and a thumb as well as managing to slide the blade in under a nail....Then having run out of rubber gloves I managed to pour thinners all over them.I think I may have sworn a little...

Albion: Welcome to the group mate!

My pledge for December is:
1 x command squad and 1 x infantry squad with Chimera

Januarys will be:
1 x Chimera
1 x Hellhound
1 x Infantry squad/penal squad/ veteran squad....

I've also thought about converting and repainting my valkyrie up to fit in with my guard as at the moment its just sat on the side and i've got a nice paint job in mind for it.

Depending on the pennies I might also be putting in an order with wayland for battlefoam so if anyone else likes the look of it let me know!

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #26 on: December 4, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »
First off loverly work on the Background there Mr P. Can certainly do something with that lot.

But hold on a minute here... the start date for this little project was supposed to be january not december with the first battle in feburary for 500pts wasn't it? Now I'm happy to move up the schedule and all that as I've probably got the easiest painting tasks. At 2000pts I'll probably won't have more than 45 figures on the table, where as all you poor guard-a-like players will be fielding at least 21-25 minis for the first month (5 man hq or a lone character (commissar/psyker) with no thrills and 2 not actually guard squads - penals/vets etc).

Just tell me now before i fire up the Xbox instead of the paintbrush. I'm not even going to mention that "some people" will be fielding armies that they've already started or indeed been playing around with for years... shocking
So stay tuned for tale of five games where people get stuff they've already done out of their cupboard  ;)

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #27 on: December 4, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »
Cheeky bugger!
I intend for everything I do this month to be extra on top of my pledges for Jan & Feb. It also means that if I make a right balls up of the models they never need see the light of day.....
Let me know when you're next on the box of x!

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: December 5, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
Fine Then! I'll go and get my game face from out of the cupboard. If I can find it... I only had it out last year...

My pledge is for 20 necrons! whooo! but that is 360 points and my troops done.
Have been a busy boy too scouring the internet. And after that I went to ebay and spotted this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chameleon-Nano-Flakes-colour-changing-car-spray-paints_W0QQitemZ110456081182QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item19b7b20b1e

nano-tech powders! oh yeah! can you feel the white heat of technology from there?! Hold you hand up to the monitor! you feel that?! That's right - it burns you from there.

Sadly though, they're not nanites that paint the model for you (those are chinese children) but a powder you mix with varnish to create a colour shifting finish. The colours they shift to were a bit poor, but depending on the opacity of the mix i use it should lend a certain something to large flat necron surfaces. besides, it was five pounds. I did find some cheap spray cans of colour shift paint but again i wasn't really happy with the colour range (the radio controlled car fraternity use them so are plastic friendly and come in smallish amounts). and naturally, there were some pricey ones at thirty quid that were ideal or some awesome ones that come in one litre cans for 150 quid :(

So, I'll see what it's like when it arrives and post up my experiments 

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #29 on: December 6, 2009, 05:18:47 AM »
I always planned to get some of the chromatic /colour changing paint from Halfords for my old necrons but everytime I went there the only bloke who was trained to mix it was always on bloody day off!! There was also a nice pearlescent (??) paint that would look lovely on Necrons.
I've been told that the best way to apply the colour change paint is to spray different layers in different directions so one layer side to side and then the next up and down.

Im free from Wednesday onwards so do you fancy coming over for a painting/putting together day?

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #30 on: December 6, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »
Well it was lucky i went for the optical shift paint option i did, a lot of the paints i'd been looking at are actually corrosive to plastics. it may be different for the liquid rather than aerosol versions. But having actually read the small print (Ok - the large bold face warning very clearly that this wasn't for plastics), i'm still pretty excited about this nano stuff. Either way, it was off to GW today to buy my battleforce. God bless necrons for getting 738pts of stuff in a box. Think how gutted tyranid players are gonna feel in january hehehe  :D

Ok, at this point i'm going to confess i got side tracked comparing the battleforces and what you get in each box for your points and your bucks. The necron one, while dull, is pretty good value, as is the  old tyranid one, the spacemarine one and space wolves box. Some of the others just seem a right shambles - Especially the guard. They could have given an effective troop platoon (hq 2troops heavy weapon upgrades for the squads and a chimera) that would have been a solid box set. Instead you get a sentinel - why? it just seems a bit thrown in. sorry totally off topic in a classic 1am blogging way 

These are the first necrons I've ever put together and already i'm a bit frustrated. The basing idea i was going to use has been complicated by the insanely long legs of the necrons. you may not have realised but necrons are in fact giants. undead robot giants but giants none the less. Their metal feet stick off the edges of the base and none can fit entirely within the area of a 25mm base. if you make them stand up straight they're about 1.75 inches tall. A space marine, the 7foot mutant super soldier that he is. stands a lowly 1.25 inches. This makes your run of the mill necron 9.5 feet tall! If he stood up he'd bang his head on the ceilling. Next is his stance, his legs are around 5 feet apart - at the heel. Try standing with your heels 2/3 of your height apart (3.5 -4foot for grown-ups) Go on get up and see how that feels. a fighting position? no wonder they're going to be slow and purposeful. or more waddling and strained.

they're also very dully posed. not as bad as the marines who just stand there. but still dull. On the plus side all their joints are easy to cut apart and reposition. Again, no open or unnattached left hands is a bit poor.

It's a wierd thing but the tau fire warriors are perhaps the most adaptive and reposable. they come with loads of different leg poses. guns held at port, aiming, one handed, and a head that can see over their own shoulder. the most mundane, and plodding race is the only one that can turn it's head. for all marine variants, their armour stops them, orks - no  eldar who cares they're all lead anyway he says dimissively. The absolute worst are orks. the fierce, aggressive, charging and bellowing warrior race that just stand there like apes with their weapons held out in front of them.
I fully realise that the kit has to be flexible and simple enough for a child to put together, and yet capable of conveying the essense of the subject. I just think marines and orks fail at this. Imagine getting an SAS embassy siege model set and all the elite special forces soldiers were just stood stiffly at attention. or a ninja action figure that can only bow stiffly (and off i go again)

On the plus side for these boys is that there's very little flash or any mould lines. the carbine version of the guass blaster looks really good on them (I've removed the axe & green plasic rod section and put the muzzle straight onto the main body. again the gun would have been over 8 foot long! thats a polearm not a gun). Hopefully, out of all the trimmings i'll be able to put together a plastic staff of light for my lord and not have to arse around with a metal one that i know will break at the first whiff of a carry case.

So, today saw ten warriors constucted and undercoated. along with a preliminary bit of basing too. as these are going to be emerging from a swamp, over went the bases and in went some  spackle of Gw fine gravel/sand and pva to form little islands for the necrons to stride onto / wade towards. some i sliced through at the calf or thigh to make them semi-submerged. the next challenge for the next batch is to increse the dynamism in the pose and get them doing more stuff - pulling themselves up out of the mire. hopefully some spare marine hands will fit on to them ok so both hands don't have to be on the weapon.

when i can be bothered to dig out some batteries i'll post up some pictures.   

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #31 on: December 7, 2009, 06:08:10 AM »
OK, so I have also been a bit cheeky and have been assembling models for this challenge a little bit early....

This weekend I assembled my 10 man Scout (counts as Penal Troops) Squad which I will hopefully have pics of tomorrow.

These have taken ages as I have done a fair bit of conversion work on them, and need to do a bit of greenstuffing on them too which I hope to complete tonight.

I also have about 80% of an infantry sqaud assembled and 90% of a command squad assembled.

However having discussed things with Kototoma this morning I must admit that we do agree slightly with Dakota in respects of all jumping the gun a bit early (although I am guilty of it too).

The challenge was due to start on 1st January, but in all the excitement we have all started a little bit early.

However that's mostly my fault as I decided to use my Macragge PDF which I started back in September/October.

Therefore I think it would be fair to say that by all means paint away for now as long as we can all promise to pledge at least 1 thing per month for the rest of the challenge which doesn't include anything painted now.

In other words we can use what we paint now but we can't stockpile in these few weeks so that we don't have to paint next year.

As long as we all have 1 HQ and 2 Troops painted by February and continue to paint something new every month we shouldn't have a problem.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2009, 06:10:32 AM by Chris Parsons »

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #32 on: December 7, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
Don't put your paints away - you'll need the four extra months to keep up near the end. besides - you chose guard (very time consuming and model intensive), and do custom the army (all those individual conversions). I got away with guard last time cos i'm a crap painter who does a quick half-arsed job not someone who does 7 layers just to do a fatigue.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #33 on: December 7, 2009, 07:24:25 AM »
Cheers mate, I suppose choosing Guard means I am allowed a head start! :)

I must admit that I am hoping this Tale of x gamers to be a little more relaxed and fun this time around.

Not that last year's wasn't, far from it I really enjoyed it but I think we were quite focussed on Tournament style play, and this year I would like to concentrate more on narrative play which means we can have fun with lnked scenarios etc.

And then what pops up in my inbox this morning?

The 40K missions book! 30 brand new missions, with things like assassination, ambush etc.

And this is released in March, meaning the second month of our Campaign.

This couldn't come at a better time and I am very excited about this, it means that we really can play some narrative missions, and if there are Race specific missions we can really go to town on the campaign aspect.

Plus it looks as though from the email the new Basilisk Kit is being released in march to coincide with this release, so hopefully this kit will be like the new Russ and include 3 variants.

This should keep me, Ben and Alex happy at any rate!  ;)

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #34 on: December 7, 2009, 10:42:34 AM »
so now ben's paid a bucket load to FW for his manticore he can buy an easy to put together one in march

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #35 on: December 7, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »
I know, I thought that too!  ::)

Will be nice to see what the new artillery kit is like though.

Especially considering the modular plug in nature of both the hellhound and russ.

Can't wait for the missions book though!

Offline kototama

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers
« Reply #36 on: December 7, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »
And I've still not picked up a paint brush. Wondering how far behind I'll end up. At this rate, you lot will have finished your armies before I've started. Need the week to be extended to 8 days...

I wasn't going to include my destroyers in my necs as I did them back in october but since everyone else seems to be jumping in I might just be lured into it, though I still like the idea of 40 warriors and 6 monoliths. I've now worked out how I am going to light these buggers. Just need to order a shed load of components from Rapid so I can start constructing the lighting circuits. Not sure how I'll afford the other 4 monoliths though. About time GW offered some more apocalypse sets.......

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #37 on: December 7, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »
Uh Katoma? Why six?
Even most apoc armies don't go over 4....
The Monolith is a godsend, yet I must crush your dreams.
Pros
-Near impregnable
-Keeps your warriors alive longer
-Scares the beslubber out of the opponent
-Gets our pansy warriors out of CC

Cons
-Expensive
-Taken in groups of 2-4 with loads of warriors, you u usually are fondue
-Short range. In 24" it will change in the game.

While I am at it lets look at your other units. You like the shooty, yes?

Warriors
Pros
-Ummm....
-Hard to kill
-Decent firepower
-Scoring
Cons
-Die in CC
-There are better things

Immortals
Pros
-Higher Toughness
-Assault 2 gun
-Good in MSU
-Stronger Gauss weapon
Cons
-Are not that good in CC

Destroyers
Pros
-High Toughness
-Strong guns
-Speedy (Wooo Jetbikes!)
Cons
-Epic fail in CC
-Small units can be expensive

A good list for you is

Shooty lord Orb with the warriors.
Destroyer lord.

30 Warriors (3 units of 10)
2 units of 5 Immortals
3 Units of 3-4 Destroyers
2 Monoliths
Either Heavy destroyers or Spyders.

Heavy shooting list. Look over it. Think. And above all play test! Find out how you do against guard. And note Necrons suck at 500p. Get to 1000 fast!

I apologise for my rant. Hope it helps.

What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #38 on: December 7, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
all well made points there burgers4me kotoma likes armies not just lists and big modelling projects :)

buyforless online do good discounts on multiples of items. they usually do bundles of three or four but do two monoliths for 54

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #39 on: December 8, 2009, 07:08:04 AM »
Yes I must admit although I am not keen on facing 6 Monoliths in any game I don't really mind too much as I know they will be really cool when lit up!

Plus if he spends all his points on 'Liths he shouldn't be too hard to phase out, although dropping the buggers on objectives in objective grabbing missions will be a bit of a sod!

So I have some small progress to show you.

I have spent the last few days putting things together in preperation for painting. IG are always a bit troop heavy to begin with and I need to get my 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices painted early on, but then can just paint tanks!

So I have assembled another Infantry squad with Autocannon and Plasma gun, but as these look exactly like the last lot I just thought I'd show you the sergeant for now:

Nothing too exciting, just the same chest piece modification and a head from the Catachan Command squad (thanks Ian for this you are a star).

Then my Junior Officer and 2 Plasma Gunners. Just need to assemble Auto Cannon team for this unit:

And finally my Peltasts, or Scout unit. These will be "counts as" Penal Troops, and I think the rules for them actually fit Scouts perfectly.

I have to say I was looking forward to making these the most, but am disappointed with the results so far. I will reserve judgement until they are finished, but right now they just don't look right.

I think it may be due to the Catachan Legs being disproportionately short, or maybe I shouldn't have removed so much of the body armour?

I wanted them to be lightly armoured forward observers, but also to be geared up for assault as they have a good chance of rolling this on their special rules.

I used the Marine Scout heads as I love the Night Vision goggles but I wonder if they might be too big?

Also please ignore the Catachan arms for now. These will have rolled up sleeves greenstuffed on soon, and may also need further shaving down to make them look less "Arnie"

It also doesn't help that that the pics are all a bit out of focus, had problem with the camera last night.

I'm hoping these will look better once I get some paint on them, but I'm now wondering if I should have used different legs, maybe Marine Scout legs?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2009, 08:36:31 AM by Chris Parsons »